Superman in space

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
If superman was fighting outside of the solar system, would he have his super powers or not?
They are supposedly powered by the sun, so he might not be all that powerful on another planet.
Also, if he is powered by the sun, is he de-powered at nighttime?

Gregory
As I understand it, Superman stores solar power from yellow suns. He might or might not be superpowered outside of our solar system, depending on whether theirs a yellow sun near-by. At any rate, since he stores power, he won't become de-powered at night, because he has power stored up.

norrin radd

Alienman24

geomort
I see an unfortunate contradiction in the superman movies here. In Superman 3, superman is fired-upon by a weapon that Guss Gormon designed in his supercomputer. The weapon surrounded superman by a green bubble, depriving him of air. You can hear superman chocking before he blasts his way out with his lazor eyes. If he is chocking that means he needs air to live. So I don't think he can fly in space at all as you see him do at the end of most superman films and a lot in Superman 4 with Nuclear Man.

DarkCrawler
He can hold his breath for about eight hours.

Napalm
Superman can go anywere there a yellow sun it's not just this sun that gives him powers

rajah kalantiaw
doesn't matter if it's night. there's no such thing as lunar power. the sun makes the moon glow. so in essence, the solar energy that is emitted to earth is only minimally decreased. the sun's brightness though is eclipsed by th earth's rotation itself... unless there is a solar eclipse.

so whatever the sun is emitting during the day that gives supes his power is also being emitted at night... not by the moon but that very same yellow sun we see during the day.

Hegemon875
Ummm a galaxy consists of stars so by definition a galaxy is full of stars.

Carrzy
Yeah he can, that's right!

When he needs to go on REALLY long trips, (we're talking, other side of the Universe here) he needs an oxygen mask or a spaceship smile

Gee-wiz it sure is fun to know all this crap on Superheroes.

DrDoom
Superman gets nourished by a yellow sun, and starlight so when he's in space (outside of a yellow sun system) he's still getting a bit of power pumped into him.

In the JLA/JSA crossover, Wonder Woman said that Superman's cells can store solar energy for days until he needs to recharge. She didn't say how many days, but I'm guessing it's a little over a week or so.

dolbouck7

xJLxKing
Superman get his power from solar radiation. The energy is giving to his Cell, and just like our Cell they can store ATP/Energy. From what I know superman is able to travel anywhere without the need of a Yellow Sun/Radiation. However he will need to get reenergized one day(Sun Dip).
The only thing that I know that can make him lose this "Stored Energy" is red Solar radiation, and Kryptonite.

dolbouck7
well, I understand about the Kryptonite, but the Red sun?
only reason I said this is 'cause a red sun emits the same radiation a yellow sun does. The only difference is that its cooler hence the red color...Maybe it just affects him mentally...a red sun did kill his parents

xJLxKing
Its because of their Dna that they aren't getting any benefits from red dun, not mentality.

dolbouck7
lol...I was kidding...somewhat...nonethless, if he doesn't get any benefits, I don't see why it would take his power away. A red sun is the same thing as a yellow sun except a lot older and near death.

plus that sun thing didn't come up until later, way later after Supe's creation

xJLxKing
That correct. When superman first come out. They said that gravity was the answer, but after he gained flight they changed it

ragesRemorse
I think its cool that we actually analyze Superhero's through a rigorous scientific study. I mean, its a geek as one can get, but at the end of the day. Most of these superhero's are great characters with horrible writing. Writing that rarely ever holds any consistency. You can virtually make up a superhero's limits, because, writers do it in every other series. The compromising flaw with Superman is that a Red sun emits less energy than a yellow sun.

snoopdogg
Superman can also draw energy from white stars also. I've read a few comics where it's been stated.

xJLxKing
Yes, he can also drop from a blue, or purple star, which give me the most Solar Energy the fastest

Bardamu
And a blue sun ? What are the effects on Superman ?

Edit : the answer was above, sorry ^^

Galvaclaw
Enhanced power levels and the ability to temporarily grant powers to normal humans.

starlock
It was recently said by bruce wayne...that superman does not breath, and that red sun radiation just locks his cells up, stopping him from using his powers....now grant it... its from superman/batman comic, but its there confused

ragesRemorse
can superman escape a blackhole?

Endless Mike
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
can superman escape a blackhole?

Yes, and he has done so

dolbouck7
can superman fight at all? I mean really fight? he seems to never use his super speed when fighting. On confrontations there never seems to be any sort of strategy. Unlike Batman who knows how to fight pretty well. and for goodness sakes since when did wonder woman become as strong as him?

The only time I seem him do anything is on a Justice League unlimited episode in where he was kicking Dark Seid(or what ever his name is) ass for a second. Though, that same series showed Wonder woman kicking his ass as well.

Endless Mike
Read the comics, he is very skilled, although he's so strong that he rarely needs to employ his skill. He has even fought and defeated gangs of armed thugs when he had no powers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.