Lucas Quotes From Vanity Fair - Possible Spoilers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

waynerobsonuk
I wasn't able to get ahold of the mag itself but a mate of mine sent over some highlights for me that I thought I'd share. (to be honest I'm not even sure if it's out yet (been a busy few weeks!) It does contain some 'possible' spoilers so beware.

anyway here goes(spoiler tags):

(About EP3 ROTS) It's the missing link. Once it's there it's a complete
work, and I'm proud of theat. I do see it, tonality wise, as two
trilogies. But they do, together, form one epic of fathers and sons.

I'm not a great writer. I'm trying to tell a story using cinema, not
trying to write a great script. I use the script as a blue print.

(on the Films Rating)I don't really mind a PG-13.

(About Anakins Birth) It was a virgin birth in an
ecosystem of symbiotic relationships. It means that between the Force,
which is sort of a life force, and reality, the connectors between
these two things are what we call midichlorians. They're kind of based
on mitochondria, which are a completely different species, a different
animal, that live inside every single cell and allow it to live, allow
it to repoduce, allow life to exist. They also, in their own way,
communicate with the Force itself. The more you have, the more your
cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the
powers of the force. Ultimatly, I would say the Force itself created
Anakin.

(about Hyden's acting in AOTC) Poor Hayden. His perfomance is great. They just
don't like the character.

(About Anakin) You basically get somebody who's going to make a
pact with the Devil, a pact that says 'I want the power to save
somebody from death. I want to be able to stop them from going to the
river Styx, and I need a god for that, but the gods won't do it, so I'm
going to go down to Hades and get the Dark Lord to allow me to have
this power that will allow me to save the very person I want to hang on
to.'
Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely
powerful. But he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly
a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, alot of his powers,
are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that
much of him left.
So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now
he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor.
So that isn't what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really
super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with
Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark
Side.

(About Vader) You learn that Vader isn't this monster. He's a pathetic
individual who made a pact with the Devil and lost. And he's trapped.
He's a sad, pathetic character, not an evil big monster.

Wayne...

PVS
interesting

thanks

DARTH DADDY
cool

DARTH DADDY
it must be real, it sounds just like GL

LandoSpeeder
Interesting indeed. thanks wayne.

LandoSpeeder
No duh. stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Nice one Wayne some great insights revealed there on the whole Palps/Skywalkers connection. smile

bilbofett
Finally, a quote & not just theories!!! Thanks!

DARTH DADDY
what's that supposed to mean Lando? I was just stating that it sounded like something GL would have said. A lot of deep thought. Not just blah blah blah. No need to pick a fight.

Jedi Priestess
I just bought it at the bookstore ( So yes it's out as of today) and read it. I'm happy with the article AND the big assed cover pic. smile Thanks Wayne.

Darth_Decimator
no arms and one leg left woo-hoo !

Jedi Priestess
Sad really sad

Darth_Decimator
true jp , still cant wait to see it tho

ExecuteR
shit man how can i read it??

Jedi Priestess
Buy the magazine, or Im sure someone from TFN will post the article sooner or later.

Sith Master X
Highlight it.

jjwil76
man, vader is sounding more and more like a punk

peluffo
Sad if it ends with Vader as a pathetic character and not the evil monster that all we meet (and love) on the OT.

What a miss!

Sith Master X
It's actually quite good. Showing that Vader was not all that bad assed villian he was brought out to be really gives his character more depth. It shows inner conflict with himself. Besides, for most people, this shouldn't be a shock. We all got to see the other side of Vader at the end of ROTJ, so it makes perfect sense.

ExecuteR
100% agree

LandoSpeeder
I thought you meant that it must be GL saying this. And I wasn't trying to pick a fight, that's why I put a stick out tongue at the end of it.

XX Emperor XX
At least we know why Anakin/Vader never took out the Emperor himself. Damn could you imagine Anakin being twice as good as the Emperor if he never became more machine? pretty awesome stuff indeed, unstoppable force he would of been

jedijunky1138
This is exactly what I was afraid would happen. GL is painting Vader in a different light. He should leave things well enough alone. If Vader isn't that bad then Luke's accomplishment in ROTJ was not much more than a counseling session for someone needing anger management.

bilbofett
I hear ya Junky....

Darth_Nefarus
I don't think this makes Luke's accomplishments any less in ROTJ. He turned a dark lord of the Sith back to the light, and aided (from a certain point of view) to the death of the most evil and powerful tyrant the galaxy had ever known.

And he had only been training for about a year, and he defeated Darth Vader.
That says quite a bit.

theshakl
nice

Sith Master X
I don't get how GL would be painting Vader in a different light. Still having good in him and not being a total monster isn't anything new. We all learned that in ROTJ. He killed the Emperor to save his son. GL is not trying to say that Vader is really good, but just pretends to be bad. He's saying that Vader, like all of us has conflict. Vader is human. He has compasion and good in him, but all of that is trapped behind his seduction to the dark side. It's there, but trapped, and that it's the dark side and his inability to escape it that's controlling his life.

Jedi Priestess
OK if you guys give me a sec I'll post scans of the article. smile

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/6773/a4mb.jpg

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/3350/b1al.jpg

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/268/c7xh.jpg

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/2163/d9gr.jpg

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/2140/e9ap.jpg

Jedi Priestess
http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5781/f5yp.jpg

Jedi Priestess
There ya go peeps, let the arguing commence laughing smile

dmndleader
Thanks JP smile

theshakl
thanks JP ..

We will see the grassy plains of alderann ey...i guess this confirms that they will be using the old Alderan art for Alderaan

forumcrew
i was reading this while watching samuel jackson on conan obrien so i figured id post something interesting he said

conan brought up that he had said he didnt wanna go out like a punk

and he said he learned a 102 move lightsaber fight that goes through multiple rooms took about a week to film

Creechuur
So Anakin really was a result of a Force-style immaculate conception? I guess thats cool. I wonder if he's the only one?

Jedi Priestess
Oh Creech you DOG!! Dont even suggest that there is another! laughing out loud

MornGlory
is this issue of Vanity Fair out at the stores now???

can someone tell me??

Creechuur
I'm just saying, after Ep 3 is done and the EU is blown wide open, I wonder if there will be other stories about Jedi conceived by the Force.

Unless Anakin is unique.

Thanks for posting the article BTW, I sure as hell wasn't going to buy Vanity Fair!

BAILY
Yes it is. I picked my copy up on Tues, but I saw some here at the campus store on Mon. So they should be out now everywhere....

Jedi Priestess
Oh I hope he is.......there should only be one chosen one. And you are quite welcome buddy, always happy to share. smile

MornGlory
ok cool! thanks - I dont normally buy Vanity Fair but since it is Star Wars I will get it smile

Creechuur
"The Siths" Thats great. The guys obviously not a fan.

Good article though, even had a Walt Disney quote!

darthvinss
thanks for posting it, i like this itw smile

5knuckleShuffle
very interesting thanks

Darth_Decimator
yeah cheers jp, much appreciated

jedijunky1138
He also called Star Wars fans GEEKS. Sam needs to lay off the fan bashing a little.

Jedi Priestess
Well that sux. Good thing Im not a fan of Mace's. laughing out loud

Glad I was able to post the VF article for ya. smile

.:Space Opera:.
thank you priestess

Torik_Shai
It's nice to here from GL himself that he doesn't mind a PG-13 rating. Happy Dance

neither do i!

Snakebyte
thx for the scanned article JP

BUT
is the scanned article complete?
because wayne posted more quotes, that i couldnt find in your images..

Sith Master X
Wow, looks like this one is even darker then I suspected. It's good to know GL doesn't mind a PG-13 rating. That has to mean he won't be cutting out any of the good stuff to lower it.

"(About Vader) You learn that Vader isn't this monster. He's a pathetic
individual who made a pact with the Devil and lost. And he's trapped.
He's a sad, pathetic character, not an evil big monster"

i did realize this when i saw vader bowing to palpy in ROTJ. i was like "oh, now i see the real master."

cylob49
In the scene after Luke is dropped off by the imperial walker the whole conversation between himself and Luke beforehand shows that Vader is trapped.
I remember feeling sorry for Vader back in the cinema in 83 as he stared into the distance when Luke had left ....i never saw him as a monster after this scene and the way the Emperor says "i thought i told you to wait on the command ship"in jedi wanted me to see Vader stick up for himself and kick his face off.

Creechuur
I am a geek, so whats the problem? The geek shall inherit the earth...or something.

star wars fans are NOT geeks!.....we are simply nerds.

Creechuur
Alright, well you don't get to inherit the earth then. You can just crunch numbers for us geeks when we inherit it, poindexter!

cylob49
i consider the fact that i like SW,got VERY exited by the teaser and look round this forum for news and pics slightly geeky
but i find the fact that i think most Sci Fi is a bunch of CRAP and like getting drunk N jumping around to LOUD alternative music with my hot girlfriend at weekends levels this out somewhat.

Creechuur
C'mon dude, get with modern times! Theres nothing saying a geek cant get loaded, listen to loud music and have a hot girl/boyfriend.

We just happen to like cool stuff too! Geek is chic! Cool people can suck it!

cylob49
my definition of SW geeks must be different to yours

HARDCORE SW geeks may be bad
but they will never be as BAD as STAR TREK geeks

Creechuur
Well, theres SW geeks like Triumph made fun of, and then theres us slick geeks that post on KMC!

Dude, dont even get me started on Trekkers.

Sorry to take this offtopic...so, how bout that article?

forumcrew
he corrected himself and he was just trying to mention the hardcore fans he said the people that go to conventions and dress up and stuff and if you do all that you would be a "star wars geek" he also said he loves comic books and all that stuff his self

cylob49
I find SW fans are on the whole ..out of experiance...THE cool ones in the world of fandom

id draw the line at goin to a convention and posing for a pic with an SW actor such as say....Dave Prowse for instance
what kind off ASS does that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.