the future of nintendo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
with all the rumors and claims that have been made about nintendos future i was just wondering what everyones opionion was.
their handhelds have always dominated but will this still be the case when the psp comes out?

Rhino
i think nintendo has to start making games for all audiences not just kids, the ds has a slight advantage over the psp but ONLY because nintendo has dominated handhelds for a long time, the psp would not get a fair trial...or fair judging...u kno wat im trying to say. THEY NEED to come up with NEW IDEAS instead of overusing mascots like mario, for god sakes, he's been in mini games, a basketball game, tennis, fighting, cleaning sludge, vacuumed...the list goes on. its like the wrestler hulk hogan, he was a legend, until he decided to come back and get his ass kicked...then he retired

Draco69
To mr. smiley,

Go to the DS vs. PSP thread. We argued about this for days there.

Robo-Chocobo
Nintendo will always be around. It wil always survive.

they just need to get their act together for the next new console.

get this.

"Nintendo recently filed a patent for a new game console that allows players to surf the internet, watch television, and play games-- all at the same time...."

Rhino
what?!! i cant believe it! nintendo is doing something...thats...multi functional. i wonder y nintendo has taken this road.

dark1365
Because they're innovative.

Samas-adian
They just need to get developers, thats all. IF they do, they will be the best.

Phoenix Aska
Nintendo is becoming desparate to save their company. Believe it or not but it is slowly slipping away in some areas.

For example, in the hand held department. They have their gameboy advances and SP versions. Now they have the recent DS. In the past the only thing to rival Nintendo's gameboy was sega's hand held thing..(I forgot what that was called and I have one!)
But now, nintendo has competition against the N-Gage and soon the portable small PS.
Nintendo is doing as much as it can to try and gain a monopoly against the other companies because if you ask me, nintendo hasn't come out with many good games lately..
But unfortunately, lots of people like the character Mario. As long as he stays alive and people follow through and buy the games like paper mario 2 nintendo will always be in business.

SaTsuJiN
LOL laughing ... oh that's rich... N-gage posing a threat....... oh wait.. you were serious.. no expression

Phoenix Aska
well not just that but other comapnies hoping to challenge the nintendo gameboy...believe it or not but all the little kids in my neighborhood have that and they ditched their gameboys...it's true....

SaTsuJiN
thats strange.. because in addition to the stupid games, you pay for the phone bill... PSP would seem like more of a worthy opponent.. which Im sure most kids would be getting both PSP and DS (if anything) since their releases are months apart

Robo-Chocobo
dude get with the program. paper mario 2 actually was a GOOD game.

Phoenix Aska
Robo Chocobo you completely missed my point...

*sighs*

I'm saying that it was a good game and sold quite well...I'll compliment it on that.

I was saying that people like mario...So they will buy most games he comes out in.

This hits in the little kids area mostly but lots of older people enjoy papre mario and mario sunshine...

Heh...I am with the program...no need to waste your time telling me...

Rhino
like i said before, nintendo over uses that character...mario is a sort of... safety blanket for nintendo...so is the hand held system. erm

Legaia
Nintendo's handhelds are good but their concels are going down the drain. GameCube is AWFUL!! Nintendo is really lazy too. They wont make online games or new game series. They just keep making sequels that people were sick of before the series even started like Mario Party, and they just started Donkey Konga and they are already making 2 sequels to it. I love WarioWare for GBA butt now they are going crazy with it like they are doing with Mario Party. NINTENDO NEEDS TO MAKE NEW GAMES NOT JUST SEQUELS TO LAME GAMES AND PORTS OF OLDER 8-BIT GAMES!!

They have ported every SNES and NES game to GBA except the best one, Super Mario RPG. And the first game for Nintendo DS was a port, SM64. Nintendo is out of ideas and wont take risks to try to get new ones.

And Nintendo is trying to rework the magic og SMRPG which was a great game but now they are making 2312321 sequels to it. Paper Mario, Paper Mario 2, M&L and none of them will ever compair to the first because Square made it.

Robo-Chocobo
their not trying to make a direct copy. the games are all different from it in distinct ways.

the paper mario series is very fun. and I understand where the idea comes from, but it isn't a shamless knock off, and M&L is no way even similiar to smrpg.

SMRPG had a square battle system, ATB. with 4 characters in the party.

I agree that they should have put smrpg on the GBA but licensing isn't always that simple. Tehy have to go through all sorts of stuff with square.

and they aren't making 2 sequels to donkey konga. one of them is an action game with donkey kong you use the bongo for.

gamecube has lots of fresh titles. they also have lots of franchises that get better with each incarnation.

from your point of view, it's like calling Super metroid, and metroid prime the same game.

DarkAge
The Gamecube is not awful; its image is. It looks like a Barbie's funhouse. The logo is f**king purple. Even the director of marketing conceeded it wan't for people above the age of 17. However the DS looks cool is being marketted towards people 18 to 25, so maybe they'll get their act together in marketting the Revoution.

Rhino
ya i think they made the purple logo before it was the international gay colour. i guess its a lifesaver that they made alternative colours for the cube.

sith_darth_jay
I hope I don't get into an argument here: smile

yes, they are not direct copies, but their game and their franchise gets old, and really annoying. god!! how many marios are there??.

most of this games are good, they have a fun gameplay, but is it necessary to use mario in every-single-one-of-them??. many mario's game can stand out on their own, but nintendo puts mario in only to ensure sales. there's no other reason to it. Just seeing mario in any of this games makes me not want to play them

SMRPG was great, and it was made by the best rpg company (SQUARE), Nintendo couldn't let that franchise die, so they did paper mario. I like the game but I'm pretty sure there'll be 12 paper mario in the future.

and is not only mario, every other thing they can squeeze, they'll do it.

Zelda: I LOve it, but it is the same old stuff over and over again; rescue Zelda, fight Ganon . the same with Metroid, Donkey or any other character

and that Donkey game it's just a lame excuse to give their sorry accessory another use

Nintendo does great on the gameplay, but they a lack on the story department. It's not just about makin sequel. I think those game need a logical (or least believable) reason to exist besides makin money.

ChickinMeat
That would be the sega gamegear, best hand held ever, i loved it!

Rhino
they do lack on the story department....mario saves princess peach, link saves zelda(the princess), luigi saves mario (luigi's mansion)....and speakin of lack of good stories. most rpgs (on every system) has basically the same story...which is the world is going to be destroyed....ffx-sin, kingdom hearts-heartless.

dave123
what more do you want?

mario needs to get a bottle of ketchup fear

Cloud has to stop Sephiroth from cutting down a tree eek!

Rhino
i'd like to see a new unique, but not stupid unique...good-unique

Havoc470
i dont think they wanna waste time with some emmersive "minority report" type plot for the platform games...... its not about saving peach or zelda, its the adventure along the way heheh

Robo-Chocobo
truer words.

but to date Mario sunshine had the best plot of any mario game.

Samas-adian
Who plays Mario games for plot?
Your play Mario for the gameplay. There was this day in age where each videogame relied on gameplay than plot. Younger gamers that werent in the NES age mostly want plot in their games.
Why do you think Fighting and shooter games are played generally by older people.

DracotheDragon
The PSp, to be honest, it's gonna ruin the SONY PS line because, not only does it have this big-ass screen, but it also has no analog sticks, and, it's gonna have these little disks. How long do you think, with the big screen and the disks, is the battery gonna last. I have played the DS on a full charge and only gotten about 8 hours out of it, and it has two screens, so it's got a good amount of power to supply, so it too has that defect, but it runs on cards instead of cartridges, and it doesn't need a memory card, so it's got the upper hand there. Since the PSp is gonna take disks, it can't save it without a memory card or stick, so how much are those gonna cost? I think the PSp is just a waste of money and time unless they change some of these defects. But that is just my opinion, so whatever...

Rhino
-thats the stupidest thing i ever heard
-A big screen is not a defect
-a memory card is not a defect
-It does have one ANALOG nub
-The battery life is not a defect. Yes the battery life is not as great as the DS's but it depends on what you're doing.
-fact: DS's game "cards" cannot old as much data as the umd.

thats the problem with u DS lovers. Ur too damn prejudice. Besides, I already heard someone say the same thing u said

-to samas
look around you today. Games today are not the same as 20 yrs ago.

Samas-adian
I know they're not. My point was that plot isnt everything. Gameplay matters. Whats the difference between a good game and a bad game. Its not plot, its gameplay. Gameplay is the key to producing a good game. It should be bloody obvious.

sith_darth_jay
yes, a good gameplay makes a good game, but aren't you tired of playing the same old story over and over?

whenever there's a twist in the plot of a franchise, that new game becomes a franchise on its own and you play the same story over again.

or what about those Mario games: soon there'll be Mario Soccer, Mario Beach ball, and god knows what else. they might be good games, but why always Mario?. A Nintendo game doesn't need a plot but it NECESSARILY NEEDS MARIO??? (mario pinball WTF was that???)

Draco> don't take this personally, but this isn't a PSP vs DS thread wink

Samas-adian
Yeah. If the game is fun to play, why should i tired of the game.
I would go against the Mario sports titles, but they're actually pretty good games, so i dont so any bad things about the titles.

But arnt your tired of playing a game that has a plot that takes itself seriously but in the end, the world terriost dies. It might be different than the earlier version of the game, but its still is the same story.

Tex
I'm 23 and I love my Gamecube.
I'll be the first to admit that its target market is mainly younger gamers and most of its most popular games are "kiddie" games.

But when Nintendo releases games intended for older gamers, they are hands down the best written, thoroughly developed, best looking, most creative, intelligent and fun games available on any system.

I'll gladly take Nintendo's 10 amazing games over PS2/XBOX's 300+ crappy games.

dave123
I don't care if games are for kids, as long as they're fun embarrasment but I don't want them to be piss-easy either stick out tongue

ZomBiE_HunTER
Like he say its his opinion so chill.And its noita nub its a disk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.