Sleep Paralysis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Anyone ever experienced this in the past or experience it frequently?

-AC

silver_tears
They say that's the devil sitting on your chest laughing out loud

Tptmanno1
What is that?

Sometimes I feel so comfortable I really don't wanna move... Does that count...

BlackC@t
I've had it twice.

It's the most horrible experience I'll ever had.

I woke up and I couldn't move at all. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I couldn't breathe. I could also hear something to the left of me moving around. I was so terrfied I closed my eyes and wouldn't dare of opening them to see who, or what, was there. I could then feel them breathing on my face!

KidRock
what is it?

Imperial_Samura
Never experienced that, sounds rather unpleasant, is it a one of thing, or a medical condition?

MornGlory
I hope I never experience this- it sounds horrible

I have insomnia right now- and it sucks!

5knuckleShuffle
morn i suffered from insomnia be4 its not fun. its boring.

but i never experianced this be4 and i hope it dont happen.

silver_tears
I believe it's a medical condition where you just have trouble breathing and your chest is congested erm
But that's the whole story behind it, that it's the devil sitting on your chest, and if you are truly evil, you can die from it no expression

I don't think it's fatal though confused

MornGlory
are you sure it couldnt be from a tumor in your head-

because it would be like you are telling your legs to move but the signal from your head isnt getting to your legs or torso area??? I know that is one of the signs of having a tumor

not sure I made any sense.. there?erm

BackFire
Sleep Paralysis is a condition in which your mind is conscious while your body is asleep. So, you're awake but you can't move.

I've read numerous stories in which people generally feel a very frightening and evil presence in their room, sometimes they will hear a strange noise such as static, or even see images in front of them.

I've never experienced this and I don't wish too, it sounds really terrifying. A friend of mine experiences this from time to time, but it's not very extreme, he just can't move for a few seconds and then he's fine, no weird hallucinations for him.

finti
sounds like beeing really really drunk

BackFire
laughing out loud

Syren
That's just... weird. It's making me feel all stiff and funny right now What the f**k? This probably would have sounded really wrong if I'd been male blink

BackFire
Yes, yes it would.

Corran
Umm sorry about that, I'll try to remember not to sit on your chest in future.

Corran
I think I could use that response to most of your posts wink

BlackC@t
The second time wasn't even half as bad, I didn't see anything, I just couldn't move for a bit.

It hasn't happened in years though.

All the 'images' are just hallucinations though.

amity75
I get it a lot and it's only if I sleep on my back. It's a terrifying feeling. I seem to get textbook cases of it ie hearing voices/noises etc. I know i'm not being abducted by aliens or encountering demons or any crap like that but it's a very scary psychological experience. Like I mentioned, I only get it if I sleep on my back and I've came to the conclusion that it's a "defenceless" thing. Like when your on your back and exposed and can't protect yourself. It's almost as though it's a primitive built in instinct thing that man has always had and is your brains way of telling you to move into a foetal position while asleep so wolves or wild animals cant get at your vital organs or something.

Alpha Centauri
I woke up this morning and couldn't move. I could hear this like, white noise, in my ears as if there was a hurricane rushing toward me or something and after a bit of chaos, I was fine.

It's such an amazing thing: The mind and it's effects. It is quite terrifying if you have no clue what it is or why it happens.

There are perfectly rationale reasons for the paralysis happening though. Lack of sleep, irrational sleep pattern. There's multiple sites for it.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
I never had that promblem before thank goodies it sounds awful.I just fall right to sleep until the next day!JM

RebelPhoenix
I've had it for the past 10 years, very severe for 5 of them. I posted about it somewhere else a while ago so I'll just cut and paste (this is going to be very long - I'm sorry - only read if you're really interested then):

WHAT IS SLEEP PARALYSIS?

It is a sleeping 'condition' that usually occurs during states of half consciousness, meaning when the subject is half awake either literally just before falling into full on sleep or just before waking up. (However, it's been known to occur during sleep in very severe cases or to certain people and then normal dreams can follow.) Even though there has been much research there is no concrete explanation for it and no real cure, sometimes it is down to the individual and their own will power to fight it. In contrast to popular belief it is not a symptom of Narcolepsy. Sleep Paralysis is literally what it is called - a state in which the person can not move, talk, in some cases barely see visually (as the eyelids are half closed and one has to seriously struggle to attempt to open them but it wont work) and also rarely it is hard to breathe. One other rare aspect that can happen is a 'buzzing' in your head where it feels like your whole head is vibrating painfully and that can spread throughout the limbs but again I stress, this is only in advanced and severe cases. It is usually found in mild cases that all subjects were usually sleeping on their back but in more advanced situations the subject can be sleeping in any position. Sleep Paralysis is the condition where one is literally physically 'trapped' in sleep.

HOW FREQUENT IS IT AND HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

According to most research SP starts in the teenage years, usually after 10 years of age and practically never after 30; it tends to decline after the early twenties but many people still experience it mildly now and then every few years. However, in cases where the subject is more prone to these periods, it can be much more frequent. Sometimes, everyday/night and more then once whilst asleep. They can last anywhere from seemingly a few seconds to a half an hour. Sometimes one can 'feel' them coming on during sleep and quickly wake oneself up to escape them. However, it is not so easily evaded, sufferers of SP will know that one feels literally 'pulled' back into sleep so if you manage to wake up and feel as if you are about to fall back into deep sleep - DON'T! I'm serious, it's very, very hard to stay awake when being pulled back into sleep, it's physically hard because you are so exhausted already so I would suggest immediately jumping out of bed if you can manage and listening to loud music or washing your face, sometimes a drink helps too. The majority of the population will never even realise they have experienced it mildly but for the few who have it bad, it can and does have major effects on their lives and lifestyles.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS DURING SP?

Now this is the million-dollar question, the really horrid part... scared yet?

Ok, there a number of things that can happen during SP alongside the actual paralysis, buzzing, partial blindness and lack of breath that is. What one has to remember that SP is very much a physical and psychological condition, both affecting each other equally like a cycle. SP is the condition in which many people experience 'hallucinations' but get this people, these aren't your regular hallucinations that people self induce with drugs, no way, no how *rolls eyes*. This is serious; it's practically like reality just in the sleep state. These 'visions' are very much 'real' to the person and can become more real in advanced cases so to speak, I shall explain. In many cases people can experience 'waking up' in the dream and everything is as normal as it would be if you had actually woken up, you may see your partner next to you, get up to go to the bathroom or even talk to people but NOTE these vital signs: there is no electricity, try to flick a switch - it wont work - I assure you that is THE BEST WAY to know you are having an SP episode because sometimes you can go on for ages without even realising. But as soon as you do, or even before as you are 'walking' around in you 'real life vision' your eyes should be half closed so you are peering through them desperately trying to open them and screaming for help to the people in your vision but they can't help you, no one can except you - if you feel physically strong enough to force yourself awake. That btw is no easy feat, not in the slightest, it's hellish and many an occasion its sometimes just easier to lay still in your vision and let it pass no matter how long it takes - this is probably the time where you start praying

RebelPhoenix

RebelPhoenix

Alpha Centauri
The album "El Cielo" by Dredg has alot to do with sleep paralysis.

Such an interesting subject.

-AC

s|m
sleep paralysis confused?
Well, when i lay down in bed, right before falling asleep, i feel paralyzed erm
Does it count?

SaTsuJiN
the only thing I've dealt with was not being able to talk from being so tired.. like when some SOB wakes you up and asks you a question.. you're answering it in your mind but you just cant conjure the energy to utter it.. :sigh:

Arena Host
I noticed this post whil browsing the forum.
This is my explanation for sleep paralysis. You may believe it or not.
I do have things you can test out for yourself to see if I'm right.

If you are experiencing paralysis check your bed. Do you have metal springs in your bed? Did you drink any Soda or water with a lot of fluoine in it 6 hours before bedtime? Or anything that has fluorine in it for that matter. Is the moon full or dark, is it a lunar perigee or apogee? My theory is that the paralysis is triggered by a magnetic effect between your bones and the metal springs. This is not directly caused by your body, an external force triggers this effect. This is why your chest feels like something is sitting on it, your ribs are being pulled down to the bed. Try sleeping on an air mattress or a soft mattress with no springs. If you don't have or want to buy those try sleeping on the floor a couple of times.
So far this has worked for me.

If you are experiencing difficulty with your head: thinking, seeing properly, or staying awake here is some advice. Don't drink any soda, iced tea, unfiltered water, or store bought water. You can also boil your water before drinking it. All of these drinks are high in fluorine which makes the mind weak.

If the paralysis happens again, you can try these two things, they might sound crazy, but what do you have to lose?
1. Do not make any movements when you awake and realize you cannot move. It is very difficult to do, but try to stay awake and make the thoughts going through your head stop. Pretend you are sleeping but do not allow yourself to sleep. Observe whatever you can observe with your senses and try not to be afraid.
From my experiences, my senses understood what was happening to me. This "is" the devil and this "is" little grey aliens. They are not abducting you, they are examining you and giving you implants. They see you as a threat because you have the potential in your lifetime to discover truths about many things and make a positive difference which damages their plans.
2. If you want to escape the paralysis, try this- turn your hands so your palms are facing up, then decide within yourself that you are going to fight and then clench your fists, squeeze like you are trying to kill something. What happens next I cannot explain, but it feels wonderful, if you want to try, scream at the top of your lungs. This feeling is exilirating. After that decide whether or not you want an out of body experience or not because your spirit will jump out of your body if you allow it to rise up. If you do decide to let yourself go up, threaten the things you see in your room. Do not be afraid of them, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Don't listen to the lies they tell you about how they are angels or that they come from another planet in need of human DNA to fix their race. Threaten them until they leave. After all of that, think about going back into your body until it happens.

This is what I believe, these might not work for you, but they worked for me.

s|m
shock
you're scaring me sad

loserib
ive had it for awile now that and sleep terrors i know sometimes what im dreaming of will be in the room with me during my episodes i have also woke up in difrent rooms and shit like that to

SaTsuJiN
confused hmm... Im pretty open minded...but uhh... isnt that a bit over the top... ? blink

Napalm
It sounds like a very horrible experence to go through

Aku
It sounds like whoever gets it is a Spaz

Alpha Centauri
You sound like more of a spaz for saying that.

-AC

Aku
Why thankyou.

RebelPhoenix
Sounds like what you are experiencing is directly physically based whereas the actual causes of SP are supposedly still unknown but is majorly psychological. For example, as for dietry details, I am and have always been a very healthy person moreso then much of the population in general hence carbonated and non filtered or boiled water never really came into it. Also, if it was SP you were experiencing you should probably know that the common factor of it is that you can not move, you can not make sounds and on many an occassion you can not see. The only exceptions are that you can see what's going on around you and real events occurring but your eyes remain firmly shut to people who are awake and happen to see you or your eyes are half open and you cannot open them properly. When it is an occassion where the eyes are a focus it generally does mean your body hasn't caught with your mind waking up but still that's not always the explanation. Other symtpoms other then the main weight, fear, presences and paralysis ones are feel 'out of your body' and seeing yourself or feeling pulled out it.

SP is predominantly psycological and because of that it varies for people, some people find that physical (like you've suggested) precautions can help such as eating or drinking before bed to feel more 'heavy or stable' during most of their sleep, some like to have a pet or partner to sleep with for comfort etc. On the other hand, some feel that having a strong, positive attitude especially before you go to bed helps and can reinforce that with determination or exercises like yoga and some feel that just trying not to think about it at all works. BUT, big but, the majority of sufferers find that no one or combination of precautions work all the time, they may work once or a few times or periodically but not all the time. SP is almost like an intelligent syndrome which finds ways around what you do to prevent it in order to affect you.

But anyway - keep at it and I hope you stay SP free if it is SP you've had smile

BasketCase
im not sure..i have insomina though...sucks..

Afro Cheese
This is weird.. I don't know if I experienced sleep paralysis but what I experienced was similar to what you all are explaining. I was asleep.. and I somehow figured out that I was asleep, and tried to open my eyes and wake up. But my eye wouldn't open and I couldn't move my arms.. it wasn't a terrifying thing like what you explained just a very tiring thing... it felt like I was struggling to open my eyes and move but couldn't do it. But then I did get scared at the fact that I couldn't open my eyes and see what was going on. Then for some reason I thought my dad's cat was on the bed and it started biting the shit out of my hand.. but I couldn't move my arm away from it or grab it with my other arm. And I couldn't see it.. I just assumed it was there and I could hear it fighting with my arm even though I couldn't really feel it. So I finally woke up and there was no cat and I just figured it was because I was asleep and trying to move. I don't know if that was sleep paralysis, it could've just been that I was conscious during a dream but I don't think so.

Alpha Centauri
That was a form of Sleep Paralysis Afro.

"I think I'm awake.
Rolling on my blanket.
I am sinking into the bed.
Light around me.
Beautful washes of pulsating color.
Buzzing white noise.
It sounds like one hundred bees.

I too once thought the radio played.
Let's act like children while we sleep paralyzed.

Pulsing.
You control it.
Body's asleep and your mind is awake.

Let's act like children while we sleep paralyzed."

"Scissor Lock"-Dredg.

-AC

Arena Host
Oh yeah and I don't drink milk either, that is also full of fluorine. I'm not kidding, try the things I said out. This is literally what I have experienced, to me it is not a hallucination or something mentally going on, it feels as real as real.

JToTheP
I don't recall ever having it...but I wouldn't doubt it's horrifying.

BlackC@t
There, there. It's over now, we share each others pain cry

BlackC@t
Don't be such a jackass mad

You're not funny or cool for saying that.

Alpha Centauri
Blackcat is actually like The Black Cat. She sees everything, never misses a point or bad comment haha. Returns to kick the posterior of those wrong doers of the forum. She is like KMCs own Black Cat superheroine.

But....is she as sexy?

I think a trip to the picture thread may be in order BC?

-AC

Syren
I think I finally realise what paralysis is during sleep. I get it sometimes, I think. I was laying in bed last night actually thinking about this particular thread and I recalled quite a few times when I found it extremely difficult to wake up. I mean, my mind is half awake but the rest of me feels like it's suffocating. Usually after vivid dreams.... is that what it could be? I thought it was perfectly natural erm Making the transition from sleep to consciousness can't be that straightforward really.

Alpha Centauri
You actually think about threads when you're offline Sy?

I think subconsciously two, maybe three members may pop into my mind outside of the forum but besides that, never think about threads.

-AC

ladygrim
i have it was dodgy it lasted about 5 mins and was shouting for my sister but she was to lazy to listen ... and when it stopped i got pins and needles in my hands

Syren
laughing out loud It was a passing thought that happened to stick, I generally think about things I have done that day, obviously coming on KMC is one of them roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alpha Centauri
Interesting.

The only three people and their posts, I think of when I leave are yourself, Stardust and Revan. All very interesting people who I tend to have a degree of respect for.

Sometimes if I'm in a thread and someone is being one of those posters who won't stop replying just out of sheer annoyance, I think "Ahh gonna have to deal with that when I go back on the forum." Annoying.

-AC

Syren
True, I mean, I don't meticulously share my time out between members, obviously Scott takes up the majority of my KMC related thought time (and much of my RL) but there are a few members and threads I think about. KMC means a lot to me erm

Alpha Centauri
I've been a member here since July. Not long when you think about it but already people know me and notice when I'm gone.

I used to think some people here were cool etc. You, Revan, Arac, Stardust, Cat. But besides that, it was just a forum.

When I went through alot of scary shit which I'm not too aware you know about or not, I left the forum for a while for multiple reasons that I can't really share on the board in public. Multiple KMC members were wishing me well and giving me good luck. I probably won't ever forget that.

So now I kind of think of the forum as my online family or home. I like, love and dislike some of the members. That's what it's all about though I guess.

Yes, mark this because I'm not going all soft again.

What? I hate you all. Morons.

-AC

Aku
I think it's freaking hilarious. Besides sleep paralysis, there are worse things than that. And i don't need to work at being cool, I was born that way. cool

Alpha Centauri
"I think it's freaking hilarious. Besides sleep paralysis, there are worse things than that. And i don't need to work at being cool, I was born that way. "

And there was me assuming you had just congealed in a gutter.

Learn new things everyday don't we?

-AC

Aku
Womens comments, you are a woman!

Alpha Centauri
Well then be happy. Coz this is probably the most speech you'll ever get out of a "woman" without being slapped with a restraining order most probably.

-AC

Aku
Lol, there there, I can't help being evil. Besides im a real gentlemen around women and guys its only when people are sympathizing that i can't stand peoples weakness! MUHAHAHAHAHA evil face

Kaleanae
Ohh! About two or three times I have experienced hypnogogic sleep paralysis, with hallucinations messed or hypnogogic Hallucinations as are they called... well, I felt like somebody else was in my room, and actually was a cat because them it jumped to my bed. I was scared and couldn't sleep for the entire night that night. messed

Aku
No there called magic mushrooms

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.