Who is the greatest composer of all time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophicus
Who is the greatest composer of all time?

Philosophicus
Anyone????

Darth Revan
It's really pretty hard to say... All the ones you mentioned had strengths and weaknesses but I don't think it's fair to call one better than the others erm

Dazzler619
The nutcracker composer. I can't spell his name right

Mane
Tchaikovsky.

But yeah there are alot. Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, etc...

big gay kirk
Pachelbel... better known as an organist, his Canon in D is the most beautiful piece of music ever written, sounding great whether played by a half orchestra or a string quartet... I'm trying to arrange it currently for four harmonicas... the music was used for a series of info films about Britains long-distance footpath network, and in Death and Rebirth, the Evangelion movie, it is played by a string quartet made up of Asuka, Shinji, Rei and Kaworu....

Afro Cheese
I like pachelbel too.. I was thinking of saying him but I've only heard Cannon in D.. I don't know if he has any other songs or not.

Blasphemic_Lain
Dvorak's "Serenade for Strings" and Brahms..."Hungarian Waltz No. 1", I think it's called, are some of my favorites. I like strings. I like Tchaikovsky overall...I was exposed to him early, I think.

Philosophicus
My favourites are the ones listed in the poll question, but the greatest composer of all time is universally regarded as Bach - everyone after him was influenced by his harmonic and melodic inventions, he created the foundations of modern music and has never been surpassed for his genius. Generally, the 3 greatest composers in hierarchical order is widely accepted by music critics as being Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Bach is like a God of music, one can listen to a single piece composed by him over and over and never get tired of it...everytime one hears something new. He also wrote the most complicated music. His Mass in B Minor is regarded as being the greatest, most ingenius piece of music ever to have been written - NASA even included that piece of music, along with other art works on an unmanned shuttle which they sent into outer space a few decades ago. Bach truely represent the highest musical accomplishment by the Human race. He was also voted composer of the millenium in the year 2000 by Gramophon magazine. He achieves the greatest, most profound human emotions and intellectual expression in the form of music.

KMC
I'd go for Tchaikovsky- I'm a ballet fan...

bakerboy
Classic music= Mozart

Modern music= John Lennon

Alpha Centauri
Gotta go with Mozart just based off how young he was when he wrote his first symphony. Astounding.

-AC

Atomic Rico
Exactly my thoughts

Philosophicus
Astounding indeed, BUT he merely achieved his maturity of composition very early but still did not surpass Beethoven or Bach. Being a prodigy doesn't mean you will become the greatest - all it means is that you developed maturity at an early age. Beethoven was not remotely as astounding at the same age of Mozart, but he surpassed Mozart.

Darth_Decimator
im not really into classical music but as composers go john williams is pretty good, hes pretty much as classical as i get big grin duel of the fates rocks !! rock

Morning_Glory
john williams stick out tongue

jk

Lord_Andres
Hey Philosophicus you seem to like Beethoven, I guessyou like that kind of classical music for that matter, so just a little adcive, check out a guy called Yngwie Malmsteen, he has coverd some of Beethoven's stuff but blends it in sometimes with AMAZING guitar work, go check it out!

Philosophicus
Thanks, I will.

GABRIEL05
Bach. Hands down. Bach hass passion, fire and intensity.

Corran
Ludwig is by far the best, he's the greatest for me, but I am biased cos my top 2 favourite pieces for the Piano are Fur Elise and Monlight Sonata.

GABRIEL05
Wow. At least no ones saying like Bob Dylan or John Lennon. That would be pathetic. HA HA HA!!

Philosophicus
Bach rocks - especially his Prelude and Fugue in D for Organ! And his violin concertos, well ok, just about all his music. Beethoven hit the paramount of heroic zest with his symphonies.

Chain Smoker
I agree, the only real music is classical music, popular music is primitive 'music' dressed up sexy.

BACH is just simply the GOD of MUSIC, right?

Corran
nice sig chain smoker

Chain Smoker
Unfortunately the moderator asked me to get rid of the sig - inappropriate!

GABRIEL05
He's Gods music.

Philosophicus
Bach and God is one and the same.

Victor Von Doom
How do you manage to relate everything, ever, with something from Scandinavia?

I'd go with Beethoven. I like Wagner a lot as well, although I wouldn't say he's the greatest. This is in relation to 'classical' music obviously.

hh?
Tchaikovsky, Mendelshon, Mozart, Aram Khachturian

there are many great ones

Red Superfly
John Williams eek!

<.<

>.>

*runs*

GABRIEL05
Yeah please run beeotch

Philosophicus
If everyone took some time to really listen to the music of Bach, they would realise without doubt that he is the greatest - his music is eternal in dimension - it's like nature itself - a world on its own - there will be no foundation for music without Bach - all the other classical composers mentioned here as favorites, derived their skill and knowledge from Bach. It took me 10 years to really appreciate Bach.

gordy
Koji Kondo

brandino
all of those are good but whoever out of them is just well lets say Bat shit loco they would bne my second but bach is best was bach insane lets hope so >big grin

Philosophicus
Bach was insane - he had 21 kids with the purpose of building up his own orchestra!

GABRIEL05
and like 12 wives

Philosophicus
No, he had 2 wives

narcil
bach. hands down.

i love his unaccompanied work for the violin and cello. the man was a god.

(i was wondering where the classical music threads were, in here! big grin)

Philosophicus
Bach was greater than a god. I play the violin and am obsessed with his solo violin sonatas and partitas

KharmaDog
Instead of comparing them, I prefer just to enjoy their music and appreciate each artist for both their strengths and how they worked around their weaknesses.

narcil
takes a violinst to appreciate those, generally!! ^_^

Philosophicus
Bach had no weakness - he can truly be called divine!

narcil
*lol* so... have you played any of the sonatas/partitas?

Crisis
mozart, i have never listened to classical music, until tuesday. my god, his music is beautiful, i almost cried when i first heard pachabel. lol

narcil
um... do you mean pachelbel's canon? as in... composed by pachelbel...?

Philosophicus
narcil, do you have something against me enjoying bach? And yes, I do try to play his solo violin sonatas and partitas.

narcil
uh...no, not at all?? i love bach, and i always appreciate ppl who share that passion for his work. @_@

when you mentioned that you played the violin, i was just curious as to whether or not you'd played any of his unaccompanied stuff!

n' crisis: i'm glad that you like the classical music you've just become exposed to. too few ppl these days enjoy listening to good music

Philosophicus
Oh....sorry...misunderstanding. Anyway, Bach is the only thing keeping me from committing suicide. And..umm...I ahven't just recently become exposed to classical music - I'm 23(almost 24) yrs old now and I started listening to classical music at the age of 14. I started playing the violin at age 15 and when I was 18 I plaued my Royal Schools grade 8. After school I played in the Stellenbosch Symphony Orchestra here in South Africa - enjoyed it very much, but I'm working full-time now(Computer Programming)(have to support my wife and kid) so I haven't got the time to play so much anymore.

narcil
oh, that comment re: recently becoming exposed to classical music was directed at the person with the sign-on "crisis."

anyhow... yeah...i too don't get as much time to play violin anymore, and it makes me sad.

Philosophicus
It does make one sad to play less...I found that when I play a quick piece my mood is lifted immediately.

narcil
yeah, i get pretty moody when i haven't played for a while. XD

debbiejo
Bach - my fav. suite No. 3 in D Major Second Movement (Air)

Tchaikovsky- love him too.

Johann Strauss - what's not to love.

Rossini - William Tell Overture

bilb
Beethoven's 9th is THE best piece ever composed

Philosophicus
Oh yes! Beethoven's 9th is a miraculous work. It was ecstatic when I played it with a local symphony orchestra...I cannot describe the feeling...it's unreal...

SnakeEyes
John Williams

bilb
Well I love ALL of JW stuff, but I would not dare compare him to Beethoven or Bach.

Nice Guy
Bch is the GOD of music!

eleveninches
I like Orff

Bardock42
Oh god I love Pachelbel he is so great, I only heard the canon of course, but that is like the greatest piece of music ever.

hayden's minx
Probably not the *greatest* however you judge that, but J Strauss smile Waltz King Junior.

Bardock42
I've just been to a concert where they played Brahms....and oh god it was so great you can't belive that

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.