Most Durable Console.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robo-Chocobo
I was watching X-play, and they had a Console durability test.

They drop a 10 pound weight on the X-box, ps2, and gamecube.

then they hit it in the side with a sledge hammer.

then they drop them from a 2 story building.

Fist in the 10 pound test, they

dropped a weight on the ps2. It got a large crack/dent in the middle of it over the logo.

X-box: the weight left a small scuff mark on the green circle.

Gamecube: the weight left a EXTREMELY tiny scuff on the black circle, and popped off one of the removable plastic covers on the bottom.

Survivors of round 1: they then plugged in all 3 consols to see if they work still.

Ps2: failed to boot up. couldn't even turn on or provide an image.

X-box: booted up perfectly.

Gamecube: booted up perfectly.

ROUND 2: Sledge hammer of death.

X-box: slide like a hockey puck for 4-5 feet, and spun a little. no obvious damage.

Gamecube: skidded about 5 feet, then fell on it's side. another 1 of the removable plastic covers fell of.

Robo-Chocobo
Final verdict of round 2:

X-box: booted up perfectly.

Gamecube: that purple start up cube rendered it's self perfectly.

ROUND 3: DROP OF TERROR!! final round.

X-box: fell down and landed hard. the enite front edge where the controllers+ the power buttons are popped off, leaving a whiteplastic where it was.

Gamecube: fell down, bounced half a foot. lid popped open.

final verdict....

X-box: because the power buttons popped off entirely, their was no way to start the console.

Gamecube: after the lid was forced shut, the power button pushed...

a purple cube was rendered.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Dance ~GameCube~ Happy Dance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile...in backroom.....

Man with a sledge hammer.: BAD PS2, BAD X-box *smash* *smash* smash* *crack*

Robo-Chocobo
Anyone else have some amazing console survival stories, like a gameboy being dropped in a pool, or a dreamcast being stepped on?

Samas-adian
Of course the Cube won. Nintendo makes those things last for years.
I do have a crazy story.
NES era, it was christmas and i got a pack full of lifesavers. I had one in my mouth. A game wouldnt work, so i blew in it. Well, the lifesaver shoots out and lands at the very back of the console, covering the whole port with chunks of sticky lifesaver. I put the game in and it worked and continues to work this day with the lifesaver in it.
And i've had the original Gameboy that i bought in the first month it was released, and it still works just the same.

Draco69
Yay! The Gamecube won the durability wars!! Happy Dance

Well guess what? Who the Friar f*** cares! evil face

Gamecube lost the only war that mattered. The console wars.

Samas-adian
There was no competition. It was something interesting to know about.
(Pssshhh Robo-Chocobo, i think Draco works for Sony. But dont tell him. And remember whisper when you talk about him ok?)

Rhino
exactly, but nintendo has a good reason for the durability of their consoles, they need to make it durable incase their fans step on the console, nintendo cant risk the cube getting broken...cuz then the kids bigger brother might buy a ps2 or xbox

Draco69
To Sama-Adian:

You've found me out. I'm a secret agent who works for Sony under the Department called D. A. N. F. ( Destroy all Nintendo Fanboys.) My mission is to browse this forum and dissuade Nintendo fanboys like Robo-Chocobo from buying Nintendo ever again. Nintendo is HUGE threat Sony. God knows knows what dastardly plans they're thinking up. EVERYONE knows that Mario Party 732 was FAR more popular than Grand Thefo Auto: Vice City. How can we ever hope to compete against such a menace!? Dear God, I say we are fighting a losing battle. Everyone has a Gamecube! It's MUCH more popular than PS2.

Puh-lease! Forgive me if this post is postively dripping with sarcasm. I admit I like PS2 better than Gamecube. But by no means am I against Nintendo. I just wish Nintendo would get their act together and start producing better games and better systems.

Robo-Chocobo
(psss samus-adian I think He thinks I hate sony)

I've had a nintendo product in my house since I was 5.

I remember playing mario, zelda, and megaman 5 on my nes.

I remember my awsome SNES, wtih super mario RPG, mega man X, donkey kong, street fighter 2, and mario kart

I still play my N64 with ocarina of time, perfect dark, harvest moon, and majoras mask.

I have the original gameboy, scuff marks and all. it was passed down from my bro. I turned his meager 5 games into a 30+ collection.
I bought a gameboy color, and all it's great games. I bought an advanced, and I've bought a DS.

It's something you wouldn't understand Draco69.

it's called brand loyalty.

BackFire
Nintendo's always made the most durable systems.

Once I heard a story about some kid who accidentally left his Super Nintendo (I think) outside all winter long, it was buried in snow the whole time. The kid forgot what happened to it and considered it lost.

Well, after winter ended he went outside and saw his SNES sitting in his backyard or wherever it was. He brought it inside, turned it on, and it worked perfectly.

Also I've heard numerous stories about Nintendo consoles falling out of 2nd and 3rd story windows and still working afterwards.

Draco69
(Pss. Hey Samas. You too Robo. Guess what? Whispering is kinda ineffective on forum. And yes, Robo. You obviously have a bias against PS2. It says so under your bloody Avatar for God's sake!

Brand loyalty? More like product obsession.

(And I LOVED Ocarina of Time. Wind Maker sucked. The entire game was riding on boat. Which was fun. For about 10 minutes. Then it became irritating)

BackFire
"(And I LOVED Ocarina of Time. Wind Maker sucked. The entire game was riding on boat. Which was fun. For about 10 minutes. Then it became irritating)"

Right, that's about as accurate as someone claiming that GTA is nothing but driving a car around a town over and over again.

There is MUCH more to Windwaker then "riding on a boat". There were these things called dungeons that took up a good chunk of gameplay, not to mention all the hidden treasures available and what not.

Draco69
To BackFire:

GTA *IS* nothing more than driving around town over and over again. I hate the game.

I just felt that Wind Waker was vastly inferior to Ocarina of Time. I was very disappointed. The dungeons were too easy to solve. The bosses were too easy to defeat. And the treasure hunting mostly consisted of finding a map that shows the location of a map that shows the location of a treasure. The boat-riding was irritating for me because I had to travel back and forth between islands. An average trip takes about 3 minutes.

BackFire
GTA is much more then driving around town over and over again. There is much to do, such as finding hidden items, gambling (in SA anyways) doing the quests, killing people, walking, riding bikes, getting new "threads" and simply killing people and simply raising hell, not to mention the many other minigames I can't even think of right now. GTA probably has the most variety of any game ever released. The freedom and options of how to play that game is mind boggling.

Now, was that explanation of why you disliked WW so bad? Giving valid reasons as to why you dislike something is much nicer then giving an invalid and blatantly false analogy of a game as a negative.

For the record, I also liked Ocarina of Time better then WW, and I too wasn't a big fan of the boating aspect of the game. So I actually agree with you there.

Draco69
To BackFire:

We like and dislike different aspects of different games. It's a fact. It's fruitless debating about valid and invalid reasons to like or dislike a game because we have different tastes. Something bitter to you may be something sweet to you. It's like trying to create a "valid" argument on why ketchup is better than mustard. There is no right or wrong answer.

I didn't like GTA for some reason. Perhaps it was the story. Or maybe it was the controls. Or maybe I had this closeted ethics thing going on. For whatever reason, I simply did not like the game. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing that GTA is an extremely good game that revolutionized the gaming industry.

For me Oot was much better than WW. It had a better story, It had a better combat system, etc. The boating thing really threw me off. You had to change the wind direction countless times. But overall WW was enjoyable. I just hope the new Zelda is much better. No boats! Just Epona!

BackFire
"We like and dislike different aspects of different games. It's a fact. It's fruitless debating about valid and invalid reasons to like or dislike a game because we have different tastes. Something bitter to you may be something sweet to you. It's like trying to create a "valid" argument on why ketchup is better than mustard. There is no right or wrong answer."

No, but there is still valid and invalid arguments pertaining to opinions. Saying you don't like Ketchup because it's colored blue is invalid because it's false. Just as your statement of "The entire game was riding on a boat" is invalid because it's factually wrong. The ENTIRE game does not involve riding around on a boat. There are other things in the game besides riding on a boat. That is one aspect of the game, not the whole game. I never said YOU were wrong for disliking WW, I said your original statement as to why you disliked it was wrong because there is more to the game then riding on a boat. However, the next post you gave good, solid and respectable reasons as to why you dislike the game.

"I didn't like GTA for some reason. Perhaps it was the story. Or maybe it was the controls. Or maybe I had this closeted ethics thing going on. For whatever reason, I simply did not like the game. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing that GTA is an extremely good game that revolutionized the gaming industry."

Agreed, the games didn't do too much for me either. Never was able to really get into them.

"For me Oot was much better than WW. It had a better story, It had a better combat system, etc. The boating thing really threw me off. You had to change the wind direction countless times. But overall WW was enjoyable. I just hope the new Zelda is much better. No boats! Just Epona!"

Once again, agreed.

Rhino
ur childhood memories have lead you to stray...or brand obsession like draco said...u probably know or can assume im a fan of sony, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt buy an xbox cuz i almost did. gaming is for fun, dont torment urself cuz nintendos losing their once creative flame. u can always buy a new console

Robo-Chocobo
I have a Ps2. contrary to what you may think.

I got it when it was in those huge shortages for a birthday gift.

SInce the gamers were so few, and hard to find, I got to play with 4 rented ones, then decide what I liked.

I tried all of them. Armored Core was the ONLY one that actually made me want to finish it. Sony had even crappier launch titles than the gamecube did, but the hype was so huge, even I was interested.

I then got Jak and daxter, since I had gotten a demo of it from sony, and thought..hmm good gameplay....cool. I ended up getting GTA 3 that summer. I played that game for a while.

My brother got ace combat 4, and now 5. I've played those to death. vice city: played it. jak 2, ratchet and clank going commando, socom, socom 2. killzone(rental).ffx, ffx-2.

I know what I'm talking about when I compare the systems.

I've been especially pissed at my ps2 ever since it stopped playing some of my older ps1 games. well their you have it. console durability.

dark1365
Dropped GBC from 2 story building. It survived, all that was needed was some tape on the back.

Samas-adian
So I like Nintendo. Does that make me a criminal?
I stick by a product that I feel is the best. I don't jump on the bandwagon just because of publicity. Nintendo might not be number #1, but i still love them to death. I always enjoyed their product. And the reason for me not buying the XBOX or PS2 is that i dont have any money to spend on 3 consoles.
WW battle system was alot better than OofT. WW though is not a bad game either. It had amazing visual with a good art style that worked very well with content and it was great to play.
I still dont think Nintendo's games suck. They develop or help develop some of the best software in the business.
And finally, Im a PC gamer by heart. And PC is alot better than anything.

dave123
I heard an xbox got shot with a pistol, and still worked eek!

SaTsuJiN
I think it would be a tie between Dreamcast and Xbox... anything made by sony breaks when you blow on it.. gamecube is a close 2nd as most nintendo products are meant to handle child abuse

Robo-Chocobo
lol, true words of the Pc gamer. last minute console pimping before stating the PC is the best.(a friend of mine is a pc gamer).

Robo-Chocobo
(my last post was in respons to samus adian)

I don't know satsujin. all of my nintendo products have been holding up pretty well.

My Ps2 won't play DDR or my older plastation 1 games.

and my X-box is giving me so many disc read errors that I have to restart it after every match I play in halo 2.

dreamcast.....the console is durable, but the controller was kinda weak.

Samas-adian
Hahaha, damn straight. I still need a console for sports and other related console type games.

ZomBiE_HunTER
my GBA went in the washer and its working perfectly.And My X box is starting me problems too by having disc error too.

ChickinMeat
spilt uncounted amount of litres of coke all over my original gameboy, and dropped it from several great hights, it still works perfectly.

Robo-Chocobo
wow. now that IS durability.

dave123
I once saw a PS get smashed to 100's of bits.... it didn't work, though stick out tongue

Robo-Chocobo
....an n64 wouldnt smash into a hundred bits.....it would be like

"SMACK" when I guy hit it with a sledge hammer, and it would be like pshha , go get a rocket launcher you weakling.

ChickinMeat
the gamegear was pretty study too, mine took quite a few bashes and works a charm.

good ol' gamegear

SaTsuJiN
I guess out of all truth nintendo should win this award lol

Londonboy7
I agree, all my freinds say I shouldnt get the DS but Nintendo is better then sony nd Microsoft in my mind

Samas-adian
Yah there's 3 of us Nintendo fans in these forums. Watch out Sony and Microsoft, were coming to getcha.

Rhino
laughing u gotta be kiddin me

Samas-adian
Yes, I am.

Robo-Chocobo
well, I would have reservations against going after microsoft, being the first american company to get into the market in years. good ol hometeam boys. I have no reservations destroying sony. ace combat can show up on another console.

DESTROY ALL HUMANS!!....I MEAN CONSOLES

Samas-adian
Its quite funny though, whenever thier's some sort of fued between consoles, its all about Sony or Nintendo. People rarely mention XBOX.

dark1365
probably cause Xbox is new.

eleveninches
My dreamcast died on me a few years ago.

Revan X
it's probably because XBOX is more of a computer soft ware than any system.

Phoenix Aska
wow...who really cares which one is most durable?!?

But I'll agree with Revan X that it's probably the Xbox then the PS2 then the Gamecube...

Havoc470
you'll care if you ever drop it on the floor heheh

imo, the gamecube is the most durable, to start off its never given me a problem with "disk read error" like ps2 and xbox have, then of course my second reason is that i've dropped it quite a few times and it still keeps ticking, where as i put my ps2 some place and it gets a little dusty then it bugs out, or im in the middle of a game with my xbox and it all of a sudden prompts me with "this isnt an xbox disk" -_-

ZomBiE_HunTER
That must suck.My bro went thru like 3 ps2's in one year and he recently jus got a new one.

Storm
*nods*

My mom tripped on the cable which caused my PS 2 to fall. I could make a cross over it. Anyhow, we' ve got it repaired but turns out now that it can only play my PS 1 games and dvd' s. Not my PS 2 games mad

Havoc470
wow that really really sucks

Dogbert
I've owned my X-Box for only a month and something has aready happened...
It got ran over a car (Wasn't going very fast though, in a backstreet) and it works fine.

Robo-Chocobo
gamecube ownsa all

Rhino
that sucks, i still have my original ps2 straight from launch day...no problems with my ps2

ChickinMeat
same here, same here

Robo-Chocobo
mine won't play any of my ps1 games now.

ChickinMeat
really? thats completly bogus!

i dont know what i would do if i couldnt still play oddworld:abes exodus

Storm
I can' t play my favorite PS 2 game damn it. I' m turning it in for repair again.

Robo-Chocobo
bogus? or completly true

ChickinMeat
bogus as in thats totaly bad, not meaning its not true.

like bill and ted?

Havoc470
lol, very few people get lucky with their ps2's and xbox's, the majority spend hundreds repairing it when they could just buy a new one....of course i repaired my xbox and ps2 alone, simple trial and error works heheh

Rhino
who knows how they actually broke eh...workers stacking the boxes of ps2's could be nintendo employees set out to throw the boxes containing ps2s or xboxs...besides Sony and microsoft dont care, they got ur munny already.

Havoc470
of course they dont, but they do waste more money than usual having to make the same system but in different ways so it wont spaz out heheh

this isnt about the business's, this is about the smaller picture, people having to waste money on repairing or simply buying a new console, which sucks because not everyone has that kinda money to spend

Draco69
*Sigh* I am the only one who actually takes care of their systems? I don't lug my consoles around like backpack. I certainly don't drop them. It's under or next to my TV. It's common sense. Take care of your consoles. Clean them. Inspect them. They are expensive. So treat them like they're worth. Anyone who went through 3 PS2's in one year was obviously doing something wrong to them.

Havoc470
its really more of a gamble than taking care of your consoles, mines are always kept in good shape and they still have the "disk read error" problems (except the gamecube)

youre probably wasting time inspecting your consoles when you just got one of the lucky ones lol, im sure as shit not gonna take weekly or even monthly care of my console, just give it a quick sweep every blue moon and im fine

dave123
clean them? stick out tongue pfft!

Havoc470
lol, i have better things to do...like play games with them

Draco69
Yes, clean them. The dust clogs the the disk receiver, etc.

ChickinMeat
i cleaned my PS2 and i did notice a marginal performance boost

dave123
My xbox doesn't need disks anyway eek!

Draco69
Then what do you use your X-Box for....never mind.

dave123
for playing games, listening to music and watching films on silly happy

Draco69
Music is on disks. Games are on disks. Films are on disks. You said you don't need disks for the X-Box. Me so confused wacko

dave123
orroz

Havoc470
it just clogs the disk reciever and MAYBE messes up the fan in the back, but thats after decades heheh...thats only for certain consoles though.....gc uses a disk reciever and i never have problems with it, maybe i got one of the lucky ones, but i never heard of any bugs in the gamecube online.....xbox and ps2 are the only ones where i go to a site and they usually have a file on how to clean the console lol

Robo-Chocobo
I've never once done any of the mentioned things. I take good care of my consoles.But consoles should be made to be durable. otherwise X-box lan parties would be impossible, and that handle on the gaemcube wuold be meaningless*. AND MY PS2 STILL WILL NOT PLAY DDR OR MEGAMAN LEGENDS!!

*kinda is

Phoenix Aska
That's why you get the megaman anniversary collection for the Gamecube!

It has all the old best magaman games...

Revan X
Uh why was it in the Street?

Robo-Chocobo
I did get mega man legends for the gamecube. I've been trying to beat mega man 5 since I was 5.(ironicly). mega man legends isnt on the anniversarry disc.

Samas-adian
I thought companies should put a product that last's and not break down every year. I never had a problem with Nintendo products. Always have worked. Sony better get its head out of its ass because sooner or later, the generally public wont tolerate it.

Robo-Chocobo

dark1365
Another life ambition to add on my list: Become an expert at DDR.

DracotheDragon
YES!!!! I HAVE BEEN SAYING IT FOR QUITE SOME TIME! GAMECUBE IS THE BEST OF ALL CONSOLE SYSTEMS, AND THIS PROVES IT!!!! stick out tongue No, seriously, if the gamecube could withstand all that, it has to be great. I have a story about something like that. Here goes:

One day my friend was playing his 1st gen GCN in his basement. Goin along fine, right? Well, his dad comes downstairs and starts messing with the fuse box and all of a sudden, *BBZZZZZ* and then *POP*, and then *SIZZLE* The GCN was fried, and THICK, Pitch BLACK smoke was POURING out of the fan openings like water from a fire hose. Well, we thought it was toast. Well, we couldn't get anything that was in it (controller, Memory Card, even the game) to work in another perfectly fine GCN. Well, three months later, after the system was covered in 1 inch of dust, I uncovered it and began to fu.ck with it. I asked it I could have it, he said yea, and low and behold, after 5 mins of messing with the laser (we couldn't even get power to it when it was plugged in to a live outlet) it loaded up the purple G! I still have it after 3 years ago when that happened. This has to prove that the GCN is the most endurable console system out there. I love my GCN! love

Havoc470
good story...YIPPIE

ZomBiE_HunTER
Thats Crazy!!!!!

Rhino
hey, the key word is "STORY"- besides he over exagerated most of his words

Havoc470
whats your point?

Rhino
pitch black smoke pouring out like water from the cube...and functional after a few months...miraculous. Obivouly if it still works, then a major part of the cube wasnt destroyed but some other component.

black smoke came out probably cuz u had pieces of paper(or any easily flammable substance in the cube...and coicidentally, his father was messing around with the electricity...

main point: too good to be true, probably just another nintendo fan boy making up stuff.

Havoc470
actually the plastic used for mother boards and such make thick black smoke when being fried, what that sounds like was a power surge that doubled the electricity in the whole house (or basement) causing the gc to go on over-drive and heat up at a fast rate

i dont think its too good to be true, seeing as through experience my gamecube has shown to be more durable than the other two

maybe youre just a playstation fanboy? but the keyword there is MAYBE, and this is all just my point of view

Robo-Chocobo
well it sure as hell is mine.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Thats what I think

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.