Helm's Deep

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rohanspear543
I just noticed this but anyone who knows anything about greek history does Helm's Deep remind you of Thermopalaye? (I murdured the spelling) 300 Rohans vs 10,000 uruk hai? -300 spartans vs thousands more persians

MC John 117
*Cue "Twilight Zone" music*
It's possible......

Suzuka
Well, in the comparision in numbers fact. But, that's about it stick out tongue

ladygrim
u have to get inspiration from somewhere.... ????

johnnywooh
i don't do greek history no2

The Inkeeper
Troy happy

Helms deep has never been breached
Troys walls were never breached
Until now stick out tongue

Drifter101
well, not really, thermopalaye wasnt fought in a fort, and it was 10,000 greeks vs 500,000 persians then for the greeks to retreat the 300 spartans went agains the 500,000, but it really doesnt remind me of it, very different types of battles,

Lord_Andres
when did this batltle 'Thermopalaye' happen?

shadowy_blue
^^The Battle of Thermopylae happened in 480 BC during the Persian Wars.

The other Greek states had 7,000 men and King Leonidas of Sparta sent 300 Spartans to lead the others and fight against the 300,000 men of Persia in the mountain pass of Thermopylae. And as some of us may know, the Spartans were really great warriors, extremely disciplined; Sparta had the best soldiers during that time, so the Greeks won their victory, albeit the fact that they were extremely outnumbered.

So, in a way, yes, kinda...The Battle of Helm's Deep reminds me of the Battle of Thermopylae.

Discos
Some other examples are in the appendices, examples of braveheart and such. I cant remember but it is quite interesting.

.....or am I thinking of the bonus disc on TROY?

Discos - too early for this shit

shadowy_blue
LMAO! stick out tongue

The Inkeeper
Discos, you just totally used troy like you just thought of it, when we all know, you read my post to come to your conclusion wink

Discos
lol no no Chris.

I am saying there are examples of such things in the documentary on the bonus disc - examples of history e.g the battle of stirling bridge and something to do with the french actually winning something.

Nazgul lord
ive seen that doco

Discos
lol a doco

RaventheOnly
dude Thermopoli was 300 Spartans versus 200,000 Persians for three days. And the Spartans where annihilated by a continuos volley of arrows stick out tongue

ladygrim
woit a bugger

Mandos
...cool

Machete_Guy
200,000? bolt

ladygrim
inded..

@F1
I'm Spartacus

Their were no elves either. :P

Mandos
And I'm Achille

greatSith
The battle for Helm's Deep was just a fight, but the battle for Middle-Earth was the fight for their lives.

Oh shit, did I change the subject, mightbad.

greatSith
Oh see Star Wars:Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith, this May 19...

@F1
I look forward too it

Discos
^^ whoa whoa whoa.....going too much off-topicaaa

anyways, most battles are based on some great mytholigical battle I presume.

rohanspear543
changin from troy to eagles sigh...

Discos
lol, sure am duder.........it is the way of the eagle.

I was....am the lord of the eagles.

anyways I watched Alexander last night and Alexander's macedonian/greek army had 40,000 against 250,000 Babylonians and came out victorious.

Mandos
Yes, there are based on mythological events.
For example, Numenor was Atlantis in mythology.

Fëanor
what i find hard to believe, is how aragorn and his band of men were able to keep from being annhilated when they were so utterly and hopelessly surrounded by 10000 orcs at the gate...

I watched the scene over and over again... and if you look carefully, it looks as if the brunt of the battle is at the gate and not to the rear...

Mandos
Well then...

Fëanor
so you say...

Mandos
Indeed...

Fëanor
without a doubt...

Mandos
so it seems...

Fëanor
as the saying goes...

Mandos
of course...

Fëanor
genuinely... i disagree

rohanspear543
humm brunt...

dark1365
Wasn't Thermopylae a pass, not a fortress?

manny321
well i think helms deep and minas tirnth were the best battle scenes ever. Troy were a bit too fake and Alexander had a bad story and disgraced the great Alexander. If anyone makes a great epic battle again it will always be compared to helms deep and minas tirth.

ladygrim
i think many epic movies these days will be compared to LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.