Martial Art Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fearnix
I love Martial Art Films and i know there a few other people on this site who like em too so i thought i would make a new thread.

Well to start this off i'm gonna say i think Drunken Master 2 is the best Martial Art Film ever.

Cinemaddiction
Never saw it, but if its as incoherent as the original, I'll pass. I'm more of a wu xia fan, personally. I dabble in other parts of Asian cinema, but straight up Kung Fu, I just don't have an outlet for.

Aku
Blood Sport is the best martial arts movie, coz it means so much. Well ok I admit its not the best, there are better ones. Game Of Death 2 is one of the best as the fight scenes are proper badass. And dont forget mortal wombat!

Clavis
I don't know really, I like these kung fu classics but I like the films that actually have a real story attached to it better, so I'm thinking here

Fearnix
OMG how can you even like Blood Sport sick

MildPossession
I am a big martial arts fan, I also love Wuxia that Cine mentioned.

Check this link for the martial arts topic already up:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9921&highlight=wuxia

Hope the link works, if not just type in wuxia in search.

ragesRemorse
Anyone who says that an american martial arts movie is the best martial arts movie ever, is a fuc,kin retard. Unless you are referring to Enter the dragon.

Best martial art movies

Police story 1 & 2

Return of the dragon

Shogun warriors

the legend

Iron monkey

Drunken master is good, but it just feels to fake for me. I know jackie chan is a spectacle and all, but i am more for his more spontaneous flicks.

Cinemaddiction
IMO, "Enter the Dragon" is subpar and "Drunken Master" in addition to being totally un-comical, is hard to watch because of the sporadic English overdubs, which would really ruin any film.

I, myself, am a big fan of "Bloodsport", and it was definately one of Jean Claude Van Damme's best film, based on Frank Dux's real life kumite experiences. The sequels can go to hell, though.

(Don't try and circumvent the profanity filter, either, please.)

ragesRemorse
IIf bloodsport had actually had a good actor, and better director. I may agree that bloodsprot deserves a place amongst martial arts best. However it has jean claude, one of the worst martial artists of all time, and most overated i maight ass. Heres a hint-anytime you watch a martialarts movie that requires a double take. that person is overated.

enter the dragon is beyond subpar, and destroys anything that jean claude has ever touched. As does return of the drgon no denying the greatest martial artist of all time Bruce leeEEEEEEEEE

Cinemaddiction
It was never "rated" to begin with, like most of his movies. They are all disposable, and most anyone will agree. LIke you, I'm talking out of personal opinion.

"Over-rated" is subjective, and the term really holds no water unless it comes from someone revered in the cinematic arena.

Dazzler619
I can't believe you forgot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Cinemaddiction
It's not so much a martial arts movie as it is a wuxia/drama.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, well that and fan feed back. Gives me a little credit to my side. also, all you have to do is watch the overated frenchian and use your brain to realize that he cants act and is a below average martial artist. Err (kickboxer) Wesley snipes makes better action flicks than the french canadian hack.

Cinemaddiction
The same could be said for Arnold Schwarzenegger, and we love both he and his films regardless. Not really fair to hold double standards based on a movies themetic elements. Van Damme is from Brussels, making him Belgian, BTW. Little "who cares" trivia for ya's.

Solo
Saying that is a martial arts movie, would be like saying "Hero" is a martial arts movie.

Anyway, best martial arts movie is hands down, either The Three Ninjas, or The Next Karate Kid.

Cinemaddiction
laughing...or "Game of Death".

ragesRemorse
Thats like saying lionheart is a true masterpiece.

Man i was holding no double standards on anyone. I am just saying that damme is a damme bad actor and martial artist. No movie he ever made is a decent movie. A good brainless guy flick, like a steven seagul movie yeah, but no thought or heart put into the films, make it a useless peice of film waste.

Cinemaddiction
That's all opinion, though. I'm saying that you may say that about Van Damme, but what are your views on Schwarzenegger? These guys don't make movies to emotioanlly move you, they are entertainers, and aren't really "actors" in the traditional sense as they are just "stars". Like it or not, Van Damme was the US equivalent and second coming of Bruce Lee, who I find to be overrated, with one decent movie to his name.

ragesRemorse
Arnold could actually fit the part of a machine or a Marine, or a soldier. Van dame tried to fill the rule of a martial artist, but failed miserably. Steven seagul was more of an equivalent of a Us bruce lee.

See there are two things that seperate Van dame, steven segual, Arnold Schwarzenegger and bruce lee. Arnold, and Bruce had staying power. van dame was a one hit wonder to the cinema's who attracted a cult foolowing. Bruce lee, arnold, bruce willis stallone all inspired rather than merely bedazzeled. face it man, Jeane is nothing more than a washed up has been that never was. Time always tells the victor of these arguments. Bruce lee films inspired the way martial art films have been shot through nations and spans of cinema. Van dame gave a new name to the meaning the DOLLAR BEN.

That is not opinion, bruce lee has and still does inspire martial arts film. Okay, the way everyone went about filming it. NO bruce lee. NO VAN DAME as simple as that. no opninon all fact brother

Cinemaddiction
If he had failed, he wouldn't have made so many movies in that role, obviously. 90's, he fell into obscurity. At the same time, Arnold strayed away from the "action hero" material, and thats why we got "Junior", "Twins", "Kindergarten Cop", etc. His novelty as an one line spewing action hero wasn't as marketable.

As for staying power, Bruce Lee had none. He had THREE notable movies in the US over the course of 3 years. That's it. Schwarzenegger, again, banked on novelty, thinking it would be funny to see a giant man with a funny accent in ridiculous situations. That, and his namesake was worth big money.

In terms of inspiration, Bruce Lee basically introduced Kung Fu to the United States, granted, although that's not what is in question. That, and that alone is the only thing that may pass as fact. Your views on van Damme are strictly opinion.

ragesRemorse
Bruce lee Introduced wing chun into America. Over time has inspired the way action films were shot. Even the rate of camera speeds director's used in their shutters. Bruce lee changed the way Chinese cinema made movies for nearly a decade. After going from fantastical high flying spectalces. Cinema went more practicle to try and capture Bruce lee's conventional way of filming the martial arts.

How is van dame any different from a novelty than Schwarzenegger is to block headed machine acting? I am going to say that in my opinion that jeane is a complete utter wanna be to somthing he never quite reached. fine i'm done goin in this circle. To be fought another day on another bout though.

Cinemaddiction
Because Schwarzenegger has been in some of the most important Science Fiction films of all time, carrying the load because what little range he does have peaks in those movies. Jean Claude van Damme movies are disposable for the most part. Arnie has a significant, important track record.

JC is washed up, but to his credit, he had some popular movies.

Ou Be Low hoo
I think some of the best wushu movies I've ever seen came out during 2004...'Hero' and 'House of Flying Daggers' are the obvious examples, but there were some other good ones too. Although, it is not really wushu, the Thai movie 'Ong Bak', has some amazing scenes in it. Also, for pure entertainment, 'Kung Fu Hustle' was excellent.

ragesRemorse
You were just waiting for me to drop the question of what use is arnold. I know you were. However. I am not going to give arnold complete credit on that part. His muscles won him that role. The other half ws luck. He fell into all of the memorale roles he did. Givecredit where credit is due on the writers, the directors and special effects departments he was involved with in the movies he fell in with. If arnold had never existed, those science fiction movies would still had been greats, maybe not as great, but still been made into somthing special, because of the writing, the directing, the innovation on special effects, and aspiration of filmakers wanting to be different. They used arnold, and he used us.

Aku
Ong Bak, ha i always wanted to see that. Bloodsport is classic in everyway but shootfighter is wicked. Its like bloodsport only they use weapons and its more gory and has a shite ending.

Duck and dive is quite good.

papabeard
I like

BloodSport
House of Flying Daggers
Hero
Kickboxer

MildPossession
Ong Bak is cool for the action scenes, don't like some of the repeat editing though.

Martial_artist
I love martial art films, I own some Jackie Chan DVD's and video's but his older ones seem better, not all this American stuff, forget the American market, if they don't like you, just stick to what you did anyway.

We like the older films much much better, they're proper kung fu movies, he's turning American instead of staying Chinese.

It's obviously not his fault though, it's those people who didn't like those kind of movies but I love them, not seen many old one's but they do look much better and I hear a lot that people prefer the older ones

I also love Jet Li and Bruce Lee, Romeo was a great movie (even though I've just said older ones are better but that was pretty good)

Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon was exellent, truly fantasic, full stop, well, exslamation mark actually!

But yeah, martial arts films are the best kind of films there are

Aku
Still non of the martial arts in the films work in real life. (Well Ong Bak works the muay thai stuff) but no chinese martial arts really work.

Fearnix
Originally posted by Aku
Still non of the martial arts in the films work in real life. (Well Ong Bak works the muay thai stuff) but no chinese martial arts really work.

laughing
i dont think you know what your talking about

dark1365
Most people overlook the ones made a long time ago, those movies had some great fight scenes. Courtesy of Jet Li.

The New Legend of Shaolin
Once upon a Time in China 2
The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk II
The Last Hero In China
Twin Warriors

faradayslaw
Some of the best martial arts movies I've seen have come out in the last few years:

Twins Effect (the chopped US version is Vampire Effect)
Twins Effect 2
New Police Story (Jackie Chan's best movie)

mssharrow
and I think making martial arts film need not a lot of fake moves or there is much? confused

Fearnix
Originally posted by dark1365
Most people overlook the ones made a long time ago, those movies had some great fight scenes. Courtesy of Jet Li.

The New Legend of Shaolin
Once upon a Time in China 2
The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk II
The Last Hero In China
Twin Warriors

yes
i can see you know your Martial Art Films eek!

Twin Warriors isnt that good tho erm

pr1983
Police story 1&2 imo is chans best work...

bruce lee was something very special, big boss, enter the dragon, way of the dragon...

arnie had some good movies...

i love commando, its simply a f*cking great popcorn movie... no brain power required... same goes for true lies...

but arnie goes in the "big guns" bracket more than the martial arts one...

MildPossession
I'm looking forwards to the first martial arts film from Finland, called JadeWarrior. Looks good.

goldendartkilla
The martial arts films that stand out most to me in terms of awesome fight scenes are Fist of legend, Drunken master 2, the tai chi master, dragons forever, meals on wheels, all bruce lee's stuff. I like some of the new "wire-fu" movies but sometimes they just get way too annoying. I'm really into the old school 70-80's kung fu films.

kanis
starwars All I have to say is that the old kung fu movies kick ass thy may be badly dubbed but they are well done in the fighting scene department and my favorite movie the one armed boxer.

goldendartkilla
I like that film too, my favorite is Fists of the white lotus. I love the films with the white haired villains that are nearly invincible. shuriken

Superfly4000
My favorites so far are Hero and Fists of Fury, basically because they are some of the few that I have seen. I really want to get into martial arts films, but I never know which ones to get. Can anyone give me a list of recomendations.

pr1983
Originally posted by Superfly4000
My favorites so far are Hero and Fists of Fury, basically because they are some of the few that I have seen. I really want to get into martial arts films, but I never know which ones to get. Can anyone give me a list of recomendations.

Almost anything with bruce lee, jackie chan or jet li...

with jackie chan go for the older stuff... anything made outside of asia aint great...

kanis
starwars Bruce lee movies rock especially game of death my brother lord shadow z watched enter the dragon and thought it wasn't one of his best films. My favorite jet li movie is kiss of the dragon where he kicks ass.

Superfly4000
Im sorry, but game of death was just difficult for me to watch. I really liked the chinese connection.

kanis
starwars well its not for every one is it?

Superfly4000
i guess...

goldendartkilla
definitely see these films I highly recommend them.

goldendartkilla

goldendartkilla

goldendartkilla
sammo hung is the man by the way. smokin'

Lord Shadow Z
Kanis is right, don't really see the "Enter The Dragon" hype...

My favourite martial arts film is "Return To The 36th Chamber" cool

Superfly4000
thanks, I just got payed and i'm gonna go to the video store soon.

Fanboy
Does anyone know where to get pedicab driver? If they do e-mail me at [email protected]

Fanboy
Oh I also want to know where I can get wheels on meals starring Jackie Chan Yuen Biao and Samo Hung.

Fanboy
I highly recommend the millionaires express.

Fanboy
Here is a list of most of the guys who should get most respect in martial arts cinema. Gordon Liu, Lau Kar Leung, Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, Tsui Hark, Yuen Biao,Cory Yuen Kwai, Yuen Wo Ping,Stephen Chow,Ching Siu Ting, Jet Li,

Superfly4000
Is jackie chan really that great. When i watch his movies they are always really cheesy.

pr1983
Originally posted by Superfly4000
Is jackie chan really that great. When i watch his movies they are always really cheesy.

Watch the older stuff... police story 1 and 2...

Fanboy
Yeah Jackie Chan is old school like the rest of the guys I listed up there old school chinese films.

kanis
starwars their is a martial arts movie on tonight its called fist of legend starring jet li and its a kind of fist of fury type where his master gets killed and its up to him to kick their ass.

faradayslaw
Don't forget Donnie Yen, he always seems to be the bad guy fighting Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and so on............

Fanboy
Dude I forgot Donnie Yen.

goldendartkilla
also carter wong and lo lieh.

Impediment
I've been thinking about blind-buying Pit Fighter and Ong-Bak. Anyone got any feedback about these movies?

Fanboy
There is a forum for that movie. Did I say Tony Leung or Andy Lau too?

goldendartkilla
hey fanboy have you seen "Sam the iron bridge"?

Fanboy
Is it old or new? If it is then no.

goldendartkilla
its old school.

magic_hate_ball
my top5 martial arts movies (in no particular order)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
Shaolin Drunken Monk
Shaolin and Wu-Tang
Master of the Flying Guillotine
and
Twelve Tigers of Kwangtung

choicecutz
omg most people have no clue on what good martial arts are watch as many of these on my list as you can to better educate yourself

1) death chamber
2) shaolin vs wu tang
3) tai chi master
4) iron monkey
5) storm riders
6) shaolin vs ninja
7) enter the dragon
8) legend of the liquid swords
9) once upon a time in china
10) 5 deadly venoms
11)master killer (36t chamber)
12)8 diagram pole fighter
13)bassett swordsman

magic_hate_ball
Originally posted by choicecutz
omg most people have no clue on what good martial arts are watch as many of these on my list as you can to better educate yourself

1) death chamber
2) shaolin vs wu tang
3) tai chi master
4) iron monkey
5) storm riders
6) shaolin vs ninja
7) enter the dragon
10) 5 deadly venoms
13)bassett swordsman
excellent list of movies.....
fyi....shaolin vs wu-tang is sometimes named as shaolin and wutang
but im surprised you never saw Shaolin Drunken Monk (Gordon Liu) or Twelve Tigers of Kwangtung....cant remember exactly who is in the movie but if Wu-Tang samples from that movie its good enough to see...big grin

goldendartkilla
Shaolin vs Wutang dissapointed me a little bit. I forgot about 8 diagram pole fighter thats a classic one though. The once upon a time in china series was good, alot of wire-fu but a good film.

darkjedi132
i would like to say that the movie "house of flying dagers" is not that good

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Aku
Blood Sport is the best martial arts movie, coz it means so much. Well ok I admit its not the best, there are better ones. Game Of Death 2 is one of the best as the fight scenes are proper badass. And dont forget mortal wombat!

I agree with aku that bloodsport is the best martial arts movie.I say that because its based on a true stoary that actually happened.the character Van damn played in that movie,frank dux was a real life person that did all that.

mattador
I like that movie yes

Avenger2.0
How about the "The Inspectors where Skirts" with Cynthia Rothrock.

Enter the dragon kicked ass.

Eis
Originally posted by magic_hate_ball
my top5 martial arts movies (in no particular order)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
Shaolin Drunken Monk
Shaolin and Wu-Tang
Master of the Flying Guillotine
and
Twelve Tigers of Kwangtung
Shaolin Drunken Monk - classic!
Living in Asia I've seen loads of Martial Arts movies, the bad thing though is that sometimes they don't have english subtitles so I just watch the people fight each other confused

goldendartkilla
Challenge of the masters = classic

I remember watching it when I was a little kid on kung-fu theatre anyone else seen it?

Avenger2.0
what is old school kung fu?

jwbriggs89
you really shouldnt say that bruce lee had no staying power. he died, which stopped the production of his forth film. at the time he was a movie legend, and managed to break the barrier of racism in the states at the time. lee was a legend, and would still be today, were he alive

Dagons Blade
All the old Shaw Brothers "Venoms" films.

5 Deadly Venoms
Return Of The 5 Deadly Venoms
Kid With The Golden Arm
Ten Tigers From Kwangtung
Death Chamber

5 Masters of Death (sequel to Death Chamber. AKA "Five Shaolin Masters)

Killer Army
Shaolin Rescuers
Masked Avengers (aka Demon Mask Assassins)
Invincible Shaolin (aka Unbeatable Dragon)
The Chinatown Kid (The Venoms with Alexander Fu Sheng)
Chinese Super Ninjas
Magnificent Ruffians (aka The Destroyers. MAGNIFCENT weapons battles!)

And some of the Gordon Liu stuff:

Master Killer 36th Chamber
Shaolin Challenges Ninja (***** stars!)

Also has anyone seen a Korean film called "Musa The Warrior"?
5 years and a 60 MILLION dollar budget. None of that wire crap, just plain battles and plenty of them. It was basically an all star who's who of Korean filmstars. Great movie and highly recommended.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by jwbriggs89
you really shouldnt say that bruce lee had no staying power. he died, which stopped the production of his forth film. at the time he was a movie legend, and managed to break the barrier of racism in the states at the time. lee was a legend, and would still be today, were he alive

Damn straight. The uncut footage of Game Of Death looked really good! Forget the POS Golden Harvest film that was pieced together with stills and shots of Lee and rounded off with an actor who fit the suit poorly..had the film been done all the way thru with Bruce in it,it would have been another hit.

2D_MASTER
My favorite Martial Arts films are" Duel to the Death" and "The Master of the Flying Guillotine". These are not very well known, but they are awesome films.

lordofwar
Once Upon a Time in China 1 2 and Last Hero in China
Tai Chi Master
Swordsman 2
Fong Sai Yuk 1 2
Fist of Legend
Kung Fu Cult Master-
New Legend of Shaolin
Iron Monkey
Wing Chun
Drunken Master 2
Young Master
Project A
Prodigal Son
Eastern Condors
Police Story 1 2
Drunken Master
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Recommendation for Wuxia/ Swordsplay-
Butterfly and Sword
New Dragon Inn
Fire Dragon
Moon Warriors
All Men are Brothers
Blade of Fury
Swordsman 3: The East is Red

Any martial arts movies made by Yuen Woo Ping are the best.

Blue nocturne
Heroes among heroes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsE1wsKg57I&search=heroes%20among
anything with wong fei hung ( My hero) is great especially once upon a time in china series.

lordofwar
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
Heroes among heroes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsE1wsKg57I&search=heroes%20among
anything with wong fei hung ( My hero) is great especially once upon a time in china series.

The young girl who played Wong Fei Hung in Iron Monkey was pretty good.

carly546
can someone help me, im trying 2 find a certain martial arts film 4 my partner but he can't remember the name of it.... all he can remember is that a guy in t jumps through a rng of barbed wre thats on fire and that it s quite recent..... does any one know the name of it?

duabrown
Martial arts movies genre. A second type of action films, martial arts fight between contains many characters, usually the main attraction of the film and entertainment value, and often used as a method of storytelling and character expression and development. And other action movies, martial arts film is dominated by action to varying degrees.

iRuleSoHard
Originally posted by choicecutz

1) death chamber
2) shaolin vs wu tang
3) tai chi master
4) iron monkey
5) storm riders
6) shaolin vs ninja
7) enter the dragon
10) 5 deadly venoms
13)bassett swordsman

YES This.
I would also add The Young Master. It was directed by Jackie Chan and has some spectacular choreography. It's a little more on the light side, though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.