"Equilibrium"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigbadbike2
I rented Equilibrium from Blockbuster last night. It was an incredible action/suspence flick. I recommend all action fans to rent this movie. The best gun battles I have ever seen occurs in this movie. The story is no where near the Matrix movies, but is not bad by any means, and he action is addictive. Although I do not like suspenceful movies, it adds a certain flavor that cannot be resisted. Has anyone else seen this movie?

scifigunslinger
I've seen it and I have the dvd. I agree, it was incredible.

Tired Hiker
I've never heard of this movie but now i am excited to see it because you two sloosh gooshes give it such praise. Good job. That's power.

Dexx
my dad told my it's worth seeing..didn't manage yet.

bigbadbike2
I might be offended if I knew what a sloosh goosh was. roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue
Thanks *sings* I've got the power smile

blackicedragoon
Iv'e seen the preview for it in the movie theater. I was thinking it was a crappy knock-off of the matrix but now i think ill rent it since you guys liked it so much.

happy kine
i watched it last night (well the last hour anyway) and the action was cool but the story was a bit cheesey. i'd watch it again just for near the end there is a fight where two guys are trying to shoot each other at point blank range... well just watch it... it is worth the rent on a rainy day.

nopy
Just watched this flick. I would classify it as a blend somewhere between Gattaca and Matrix.

Its a little slow to get started but yes the gus scenes are very good. The props and effects are very well done. I enjoyed this film.

Metroplex
I liked this movie. Really good action scenes, but i think that the ending kinda sucked.

nopy
Yeah a darker ending like the one in T3 would have been good.

They basically closed the doors on any sequels

Phoenix
Just watched 'Equilibrium' - it is an ASTOUNDING film!!

has anyone else watched it?

Phoenix
It is a MUST SEE film!

silentfaf
YA it is great movie i have it. I enjoyed it more then matrix: reloaded

Phoenix
it is the ONLY film i hav seen with better fight scenes then the matrix! and the fight at the end!! with the face thing!

GroundedAgain
that's a big word.

snlovergirl
i have that movie on dvd. i love tha movie! especially christian bale, he was awesome in it.

i didn't see it because it looked like a cheap copy off of the matrix(yes yes i know different plot and blah blah ***** ***** moan crap) but it just seems that the studios wanted to cash in on the whole "matrix buzz" and "matrix style movies." But hey since you all say it's good, i guess i'll rent it.

Neo_Version 7
It is better than Reloaded in many ways. Gun Kata kicks ass. The face thing was ****in hilarious man!!!

"I plan to be using this suit for a long time Cleric"

****in idiot.

ragesRemorse
is this that movie that was a tnt original movie? with billy zane as the teacher of the warriors?

Phoenix
i feel it has matrix elements, minority report elements, but it DOES stand on its own as an amazing film.

lukeyduckey
Soz i didnt like this film, bored me

Phoenix
which bits didnt you like?

lukeyduckey
I cant really remeber, i just remeber when i saw it i didnt like it, althought that could be because i watched it with two of the most boring people alive lol

cogger15
i thought it was aload of crap! blatantly just trying 2 copy matrix!

silentfaf
no it didnt copy the matrix if i rember right it was based on some televison series. I loved this movie a world without feelings how much would that suk eh.

Sesshomaru
Definitely. wink

ragesRemorse
ExistenZe was much much better

Phoenix
yeh, maybe it was better, but its not like it much, is it? its like saying pirates o the carribean is better than james bond, they dont interlink very much

skule
i saw this last week, man it rocked, it was very good.

ragesRemorse
there both sci/fi

I finally rented and watched this movie, it was soo good. I can see why some people say it rivals the matrix. It's a great film, if anyone remotely loves the book 1984(my favorite book of all time) then you'll love this movie.

SaTsuJiN
hehe, theres a thread on this one O_o.
Its here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t10828.html

vvvrulz
Saw it recently, Great movie. Was thinking of starting up a thread but i didnt think it was well known, guess i was wrong.

BackFire349
It's premise was good, however its execution was an obvious matrix rip off. It was a neat movie though.

Blissbo
This wasn't even close to being a Matrix rip off. Very original concept. Before I saw this movie everyone said, if you liked the Matrix you'll like this. The question is, Why? Great movie without being billed as a Matrix rip-off

JediHDM
no this wasn't a matrix ripoff, it was an original movie, while still being similar to 1984, brave new world, matrix, etc...

SaTsuJiN
both based upon the same premise, yet 'the matrix' itself was a rip-off of anime and kung fu flicks if you actually wanted to go down 'ripoff lane', Matrix would get beat down for years worth of ripoffs lol

I just think the direction style and characters make the difference. Both were great films, matrix renders guns useless, so equilibrium makes gunkata hehe

MUSE(a band)_16
this movie is alot better then matrix reloaded
qand christian bale did a great job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rock

Blissbo
Christian Bale does a great job in any movie where he gets to play a character without emotion (American Pyscho for one). He was the perfect actor for this role.

Courousant2
First of all, I saw this movie two days ago, and liked it enough to watch it a second time. But it is not NEARLY as great as it is being made out to be, especially not comparable to the Matrix trilogy. First of all, the fight scenes are cool, but not on the same level. Second of all, the plot isn't even close. They took the plot from 1984 and stuck neo as the main character. They won the whole damn war in two hours, and it didn't even seem that the resistance needed him to win, the whole revolution was prepackaged to finish the movie in an hour and a half. The coolest part about the matrix isn't that they could do those things, but that they gave a legitimate sci/fi reason to believe they could do them. In Equilibrium, he just says "I don't know, I can just sense..." Bottom line, its an entertaining movie, nowhere near as amazing as you guys claim

Courousant2
By the way 113,
I loved 1984, and I think it made me hate this movie more. First of all, its such a cheesy action version. Second, it wasn't the idea of 1984 that made it so great it was the detail and genious of the play of Ingsoc, which is what this movie overlooked.

Kes
Saw it today...very cool movie.
Cant see why ppl compare or say its a Matrix rip-off, the only thing even remotely similar to the Matrix is the clothes blink
Christian Bale is a great actor. Specially with troubled/confused characters.

eleveninches
Does anybody know whether or not Gunkata is a real martial art?

For those of you that don't know, Gunkata is the martial art featured in Equilibrium. It involves analysing the statistical probability of the distribution of bullets during gunfights, so that the user can move in a way that makes it statistically very improbable that the person will get shot.

Garax
Its not real, but that doesn't alter the fact that Equilibrium maybe one of the best films ever made.

The action is great, yes, but the storyline, acting and characters put it in a class of its own.

Shame everyone is too hooked on the Matrix and (its fairly appauling) sequels to realise how good Equilbrium is.

Matrix rip off? GET OUT!

eleveninches
When I went to see it, and found out that loads of people were just saying it was a matrix rip off, I did think that it was extremely underrated.

Hoott
I joined the forum to say Equilibrium is the one of the greatest movies ever. Anyone who Hasn't seen it should. It is better than the second and third matrix and equal to the first!!!

Mr Zero
No.

forumcrew
i liked it alot, but i dont think its equal to the FIRST matrix.. also do a search im sure theres plenty of conversation about this already

ragesRemorse
Great flick, great acting, great action, and great story based plot reminscant of farehiet 451, and 1984. I think this one was underated.

Mr Zero
See - now THATS a good review.

MC Mike
I agree. big grin A 7-8/10 no doubt.

MildPossession
So underated!! Loved this sci-fi, excellent cult film, and Gunkata!!! wonderful.

Agent Elrond
I own it on DVD and it's pretty good. It's got the Matrix action blended with 1984 and Brave New World. It doesn't equal the Matrix, but come close. It had that "missing element", something I don't know what it was, but it wasn't there. It's a very good movie that show what society will do to prevent violence, and sometimes that means more.

fardawg80
"It had that "missing element", something I don't know what it was, but it wasn't there."

Not enough emotion?

Agent Elrond
That's the point of the movie, no emotion., but I think ur right. the emotionless helped and hurt the movie.

ragesRemorse
Actually i think you two are wrong. though the movie had several meanings in the plot, i believe the mainone was to show what makes humans human, and this is emotion. the presenting of emotions in the film were built up quite well, and in a way where you cared about the main character and wanted to see him feel.

I dont think the movie was missing anything, infact i think if it did contain any other ingredients, then it would have been to full, and wouldnt have went has smoothly. The reason i dont think many people liked it, is becuase it was a very simple movie to follow. You were eigther going to be engrossed and intruiged by the simple plot, or just simply mildly entertain or bored. The plot of this movies comes from many literary works that have friegtening metaphors for modern society. even in this film

mook
yeah i enjoyed it cos i like the matrix and read '1984' before i watched it.

if you havent already Hoott - read 1984.

ragesRemorse
i thought 1984 was boring. I know it wasnt meant to be entertaining, and the literature is impressive, along with the character development, and the plot is as original as they get. However, the paceof the story was very boring and drawed out.

mook
i thought the book was good.

however the 'book within the book' was quite boring to read.
but i enjoyed the rest of it.

i watched some of a film of it once but it was shit.

MildPossession
1984 is a fantastic read, another book like it called Brave New World is interesting but it's a bore to read.

ChickinMeat
my parents have got this DVD, but ive never got round to actually watching it. by what people have said here i might just have to go and watch it.

powerfulone1987
This movie sucked. And then it has the nerve to have on the cover "Watch out Matrix", or something like that. Believe me, Matrix has nothing watch out for.

mook
yeah watch it.

rayj
great movie, but it doesen't come close to even touching the Matrix TRILOGY, not a single one of them!

<<Solo>>
I don't know if we could say it was the greatest movie ever. But it was good.4/5.

ragesRemorse
oops

ragesRemorse
Yeah i wouldnt say it was better than the matrix. however the movie stands as an underated great none the less.

vvvrulz
For sure, when i saw it, i was utterly surprised that id never heard its name before.

jakegittes
For me, Equilibrium was more complete than the Matrix. It made a clear, concise statement; Bale was more convincing than Reeves; the effects were excellent yet not to the point of absurdity; and it didn't take three films to tell the story.

jeffer_wrote
Watched Equilibrium on video because it's not released out here. Which is a bummer, because I personally thought it was one heck of a futuristic film. The stunts are amazing, the FX, too... MOst importantly, the story has a more personal, humane side to it.

Plus....Christian Bale could definitely give Keanu Reeves's NEO a run for his money. Can't wait to see him as Bruce Wayne...

Superfly4000
Its no way that it can beat the Matrix Trilogy. It had goog ideas and plot developement, but The MAtrix has so much more to offer.

<<Solo>>
Christin Bale could play Neo much better, did anyone notice that Keanu didn't even make any facial exprettions the whole trilogy.

ChickinMeat
just watched the film, and its fecking awesome! im glad i took the time to watch it. the gun kata is awesome.

RaventheOnly
I think that was the point to his character... he was like a machine... yet human... big grin

mc pee pants
i just got done seeing this movie, and i have to say, there is no way, shape, or form that this movie is similar to the matrix. it's like comparing apples and oranges. the only similarity i saw was the hallway gun fight... that's about it. and that is not a bad thing. the movie was great. the plot was great with excellent twists. it is "original" in it's own rights, as was the matrix. bale did a great job. i would've loved to see bale and diggs go at it like rabid dogs with samurais. diggs was dead in about three moves.

an absolutely under-rated movie. i asked the local hollywood video if they had this movie and they didn't. and they had stacks and stacks of the matrix (who woulda thunk)... and 8 out of 10 stars.

eleveninches
I loved this movie. A lot of people have said that it was crap, but I thought it was really good. I liked the bit near the end when the front half of the black guys face just falls off (looked cool, but was kind of a rip off of one of the scenes in Ichi the killer).

BTW, does anybody know if Gun Kata is actually a real martial art??

cal31
Yeah, just rented it tonight, and I have to say I was surprised by how good it actually was. I had heard it was just as good as the matrix if not better, which I doubted, but it was actually pretty good. The action scenes were very nicely done, especially the hallway scene and when he kills the sweeper team. The action was about as good as the matrix, although not as many action scenes, but the movie was not quite on par as the matrix, but still a great movie.

******SPOILERS********

Only part I thought was bad was when Bale sliced his "partner" apart in only three moves at the end. When they showed them fighting before, it was pretty evenly matched, so I don't think it would've been that one sided.

JohnPreston
Has any of you seen the movie Equilibrium it came out december 2002
starring Christian Bale

cal31
there's a thread on this already.

pr1983
its here

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305230&perpage=20&highlight=equilibrium&pagenumber=2

i think...

<<Solo>>
Basically,http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305230

pr1983
thx

JohnPreston
oh im sorry im new

JohnPreston
OMG i love this movie i own the DVD, VHS, and i have it on my computer. i made my friend watch it 6 times in a row never went to sleep. im trying to get my hands on Duel desert eagle airsoft guns so i can practice Gun Kata. Bale was excellent in it. So much action and made you think.
I too joined this forum in hopes of spreading the word of Prozium and Gun Kata but i see my work is cut out for me. I have everything Equilibrium i even have a little refrigerator that i spray painted the Libria flag onto. My friends call me gay cause everything i make envolves the movie.
Thats all i have to say about it. If anyone has any questions about the movie ask away im sure i know the answer if not i know where to find it. Same goes with pictures and wallpapers (i even have some off my own).

Best Movie ever.

pr1983
fine, who turned in the wife, i thought it was the son but it wasnt.

<<Solo>>
It was the son.

mc pee pants
how?

mc pee pants
use the search function next time thumb up

JohnPreston
I don't see any clues onto who turned her in

I assume it was DuPont trying to trigger Preston's feelings

pr1983
possibly, that could have been it. then it turns out the son and daughter had been faking the whole time, right?

JohnPreston
no
the son stated that they stopped after the mother was executed

JohnPreston
No it is a fictional Kata that Kurt Wimmer created for the movie

pr1983
yeah, after the mom died they stopped, btw the gun kata is cool

JohnPreston
wink will do

mc pee pants
that would be most logical since dupont was actually looking for the most vulnerable guy to plant into the rebellion.

do you think he was lying and was an act of desperation when he told preston that he feels?

JohnPreston
haha hell yea it is
your talking to the guy thats trying to learn it

mc pee pants
i can give you a an EQ sig if you want... KMC specs too thumb up

JohnPreston
no beacause he was smiling when Preston walked into the room thinking Preston was going to get owned
He also looked very worried when Preston owned up on Bradt

JohnPreston
i have EQ sigs but they are too big
(made them my self)
working on one for each character
i would like to see yours though to add them to my collection
might use them wink

mc pee pants
i always thought brandt was a feeler too since he was very passionate about "the worm eating at the core of our society" speech.

mc pee pants
i like this one...

EDIT:

i don't like putting text in the pic itself... i think it ruins the whole effect of the picture.

JohnPreston
yes there are many clues about Brandt feeling such as him having to get his interval adjusted that means he either is overdosing or underdosing.

mc pee pants
and he always smiled. that was such a big give away.

pr1983
yeah, i noticed brandt always smiling, it was ridiculous

mc pee pants
they called it rebellion in japan.

JohnPreston
yea the Korean case looks awsome

TrAnCeDuO
actually your wrong gunkata does exist as an actual martial art! big grin

gun kata!

as for the movie i loved it! even though it was wrong to play off another movie to gain fame this movie is just great! the martial art scenes were very original and the storytelling was clear enough to follow!8.5/10

Edit: okay it is somewhat ficitonal but the concepts and forms are sound so its still just as good!

MC Mike
"2.Is it real?
Unfortunately, no. The kata is real, that is what this site strives to teach, the movements of gunkata. It is pretty to watch, and fun to do. It may have some real-life applications, but we may never really get to know that."

stick out tongue

But you're right, the forms are true. big grin

TrAnCeDuO
yeah sorry i only caught that just before you posted. but hey you gotta admit this sounds original and pretty nice since it would help out in real life right?

JohnPreston
No Gun Kata is fictional. I watched the directors commentary and he even states it. That website was probably made by a gun ho EQ fan. I have been to that website it even has things about EQ.

TrAnCeDuO
yes but still you have to admit this movie has contributed a nice piece of work to the martial arts community by creating it. I mean cmon look at these pics!

http://freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/AdvatarEQ3.GIF
http://freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/AdvatarEQ2.GIF
http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/Corinthian-misc_kata.gif

JohnPreston
i havent looked into it yet but im sure gun kata is just a combination of Kata.

McBane
I have had Equilibrium on DVD for quite a while now and something that bothers me is the question "i never remember this being out at the Cinema?"
Equilibrium was such a great film and i certainly would have enjoyed it more if i had seen it in the cinema.
The Gunfight scenes were the best i have ever scene. However short they were.
Please help me. Did this not come out at Uk cinemas ( if so, why?) or am i just being silly and making this up?

eggmayo
thats a very damn good point! i dont remember it either!

McBane
Yep, nice pic by the way is it the original Dawn of the Dead by any chance?
Gaz

The Inkeeper
I think i do if i try, but it might not have been equilibrium

McBane
Christian Bale played the main character to perfect performance.
I totaly believed in it.
But how do you think he will cope as Batman in Batman begins.
However he does he cant be worse than George Clooney or Val Kilmer.
The last 2 batman films were such a dissapointment.
But i think the crown of batman still will lie with Michael Keaton.

MildPossession
It played in cinemas near where I am, a short run though.

I think he will be perfect in Batman Begins.

McBane
Probably.
He has the acting skills to fit the part.
Looks a good film. Also got Gary Oldman - GREAT ACTOR
gaz

eleveninches
I remember going to see it in an ODEON cinema in manchester, UK

kanis
alien My brother said that was strange if it came out at the cinema I would have surely gone to see it, and if it was that good of a film why diden't have a premier like most films

McBane
ITs a weird thing. The Odeon in maidsotne kent never showed it. And i cant remember a premier of it either?

Thorondor
I remember it in cinema's, there was a trailer on tv every so often.

McBane
i can remember the trailer on TV when the DVD come out and in fact i think i can recall it for the cinema?!!?
Maybe was wrong... doctor
Gaz

Lord Shadow Z
I seen it in one of Newcastle's cinemas (can't remember which) but the one I went to was more or less a private showing for media and multimedia students. I remember seeing it advertised for cinema on a poster that was on the local chippy a long time ago but then it just disapppeared after a while.

McBane
I think that the answer was that for budget and money reasons Miramax only gave it a limited release.
Gaz

Red Superfly
I had never even cared to watch it until it hit Sky Movies.

I want to get it on DVD. I was so impressed with this film. Just good old school action. No CGI CRAP.

McBane
Exactly why i posted this thread!
it was such a good film when i watched the gun scenes were like something i had never seen before!
It was Brilliant!
Gaz

Red Superfly
It was just refreshing to see the actor perform real stunts. He did a lot of it (or all of it maybe) by himself.

I love the bit where he is surrounded by cops and wipes them all out with his twin pistols in quite possibly the coolest fashion possible.

Then theres the bit where he runs over the machine gun, kicks it up, catches it behind his head and carries on running.

Not to mention the awesome fight at the end where they are trying to shoot each other but can't cos they keep knocking each others aim off.

This film was the first I saw Christian Bale in, and made me have high hopes for when he becomes Batman next summer.

McBane
Thats gonna be one to see if Christian Bale keeps that emotionless acting that he put on for Equilibrium as i feel it would work well for the story to Batman begins.
Gaz

Red Superfly
Well Equilibrium proved he could be a cold, calculating vigilante, as well as showing a range of emotions. Perfect Batman material right there.

McBane
great

khan
equilibrium was in the cinema in the uk but like someone said above it had a short run it wasnt very popular which is sad cause its a great film.it was up against films like the matrix reloadaed xmen 2 and terminator 3 i think thats why it didnt do so well.i reckon its better than any of those

moviejunkie23
i guess the driector of eqilibrium is doing some other flick with milla jolavich (however you spell that) keep an eye out for it big grin

Cinemaddiction
(I've decided to merge the existing "Equilibrium" threads into one, for the sake of navigation.)

I watched "Equilibrium" this afternoon and absolutely loved it! Sure, there were some "Matrix-esque" elements, but they weren't overbearing or so blatant that it was offensive. It was a pretty deep movie, and shared some of the same political commentary as "Starship Troopers", "Fahrenheit 451", and even "Robocop".

Very, very fun movie to watch unfold, solid twists, and it was totally engaging, especially watching Christian Bale's "Preston" character slowly retrieving his own self, becoming his own person, rekindling his feelings. AHH! Good, good, good. Gotta go buy it.

Morridini
Yes, this movie is great. And so is Bale, I recommend seeing some of his other movies.

ntm7885
I love this movie. If you have'nt seen it go watch it. Any body else love this movie?

Equilibrium fansite
freewebs.com/kingarthurandequilibrium

jaden101
yeah...classic movie...must have been a challenge to portray the characters given the limitations of the effect of the emotion suppressing drugs plot line...but it was pulled off very well indeed...christian bale is seriously underrated as an actor

and the gammatron clerics are cool as feck

Trickster
I personally like the fight where he pistol whips those policemen.

Also, the film is deep - I don;'t think it's a cash in on the Matrix - the scene when the 'criminals' are executed against the glass wall is incredibly well thought through and acted.

Red Superfly
Man I love this movie. I never get tired of watching it.

One of the most under-rated movies of all time.

ChickinMeat
yeah id say that pretty much sums it up

shaber
It was set in a dystopian totalitarian future - the rulers were so dumb to let the protagonist near them while he was armed! Big Brother or the Benefactor wouldn't have made that mistake!

Velcro_Boy
how are the fight scenes and what is it rated R for?

Cinemaddiction
Fight scenes are insane, as is the choreography, and it's R for violence, naturally.

Velcro_Boy
are the fight scenes like the matrix?

Cinemaddiction
I'd say better, personally. The gunplay is the biggest draw. The cinematography, the way it's shot, is sick. i.e. Christian Bale with machine guns in his hands, arms crossed, and spraying right to left, uncrossing his arms...ohhhhhhh...man. droolio

http://www.sus79.com/movie/movei_01/IMAGE/186_Equilibrium.jpg

forumcrew
yea this movie is absolutely amazing.. im mad i never got to see it in the theaters because i love it... when he spins the shotgun around in the guys face.. eek! hell of a good movie

rajah kalantiaw
i wish bale and diggs had a longer samurai fight though.

Norma Jean
Kristin Kreuk drool

TOH
Preston's technique is called Gun Kata:
"The Gun Kata treats the gun as a total weapon. Each new position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents, while keeping the defendant clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire."
Whoa... shock

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>