Remakes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolfie
Okay, the general assumption of remakes is... they suck. I was wondering if there were any remakes you liked in particular.

I personally liked the TCM remake. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the original but I found it decent. The Haunting remake I found to be okay as well.

Zilverz
Be a little more specific on what you want to know. Is it considered a good remake by it sticking to most of the original storyline concepts? or classified as good for just being a stand alone movie ?

Wolfie
Either/or.

Cowboyography
I liked the new Dawn and the TCM. Sure the originals were better but the remakes were entertaining and since I never saw the originals in the theater its always nice to see a horror movie in the theater.

SlipknoT
Dawn of the Dead
The Thing
The Fly
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original destroys it)

Cinemaddiction
Most remakes aren't necessarily merited, but seeing other peoples reinvisioning isn't so bad, as long as they remain true to their source materials.

tabby999
i agree that the Dawn of the Dead remake was acceptable, nothing amazing but i could kick back with some popcorn and watch it again. the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is shite, they make the things that made the original special non existent:

1. Leatherface is obviously mortal in the original. he cut his leg and sat there and had a right good sook about it. In the remake, he gets his arm hacked off and then comes back for more, looking like he could take on the world again.

2. the original movie didn't rely on violence to shock the audience and make the audience afraid. the remake relied on things like people shooting themselves in the head to get people to jump.

3. the original insinuates things and make it nasty, the remake has to show them and it still dosn't manage the originals sence of forboding doom (eg the hanging on the meathook shown in the remake graphicly but made just us harsh in the original)

4. in the original Leatherface has moments where you see him as a f*cked up human, the scene where he sits there and makes funny noises while he thinks. in the remake they SHOW HIS GOD DAMN FACE! bastards.

there are more but i cant be bothered

Wolfie
I agree that the original was 100X better but I found the remake enjoyable. Those are all valid points though.

papabeard
Some sequels annoy me like the american reamkes of current japanese horror films, these films arent made out of respect but out of a need / want to make money and a lack of ideas in american horror.

I did enjoy the remake of the TCM and Dawn of the Dead, the TCM remake was obviously made out with a love and respect for the original , and I didnt really like the original Dawn of the Dead anyway, (good concept poorly executed). I think it depends on the reason for the remake, if it is made out of love and respect for the original and stays true to the source material and the original message then i think it is ok in moderation and hopefully they will inspire others too make new and exciting films, but if they are just made to cash in and make money because of creative block and not being able to come up with something original then i do not agree with it.

Also unsure about the Evil Dead remake?, thats like rewriting the bible, and hey they did that!

eggmayo
I like House on Haunted Hill remake better than the original... I hate the Texas Chainsaw remake. I like Kurt Russell's 'Thing' better than the original... Dawn of the dead, theres a toughie... I love both films with all my heart, but I have to say I prefer the remake.... sorry Romero, for I have sinned.

papabeard
I also like the house on Haunted Hill remake.

Did not like the remake of Psycho however

eggmayo
Not seen that, I was really disappointed by the original Psycho

papabeard
In my opinion Psycho is a classic, one of my favourite films. That was the first film that really had a human as the killer instead of a monster. This is very influential, was inspired by the actions of Ed gein just like TCM and Silence of the Lambs , and probably countless other films. Excellent film making and storytelling with an amazing twist. Genius!!

tabby999
the movie was ok till i had to study it for media last year, it ruined it for me, and now i am in the most firm beleif that Alfred Hitchcock was a fat turd, i really dont like that guy

SlipknoT
Psycho was just boring to me.

Cinemaddiction
Ditto.

BackFire
The Thing, Night of the Living Dead remake, Punisher, Oceans 11.

Lord_Andres
Remakes, well some are good, some 'most acturly' suck deep, The Thing is the best remake in horror IMO

SlipknoT
Oh yea, I forgot Night of the Living Dead.

tabby999
i agree with Punisher, i really liked that movie

SaTsuJiN
I liked The Thing... all in all the remakes arent so bad. I usually wait til they come out on video, since Im not paying 8 dollars when I already know whats gonna happen... -_-

BREN
ive never been a major fan of the texas chainsaw massacre(seen it a few times tho,lol)not enuff gore for me smile i thought they did an allright job on the remake but i thought the dawn of the dead wasnt really a remake it really shouldnt have been called dawn of the dead(i mean the original is mostly in the mall a good 90 percent anyways) but the real problem wiv me and the dawn remake is i am biased i saw dawn (original) back in 81 when i was 10 years old and i love that movie so i was never gonna really apreciate the remake i may watch it again and put some tape over the titles and call it zombie movie 2004,lol

Wolfie
If they didn't call it a Dawn of the Dead remake, I bet people would have got on their case about copyrights.

WindDancer
I heard that there will be a remake of The Hills have eyes. Anyone know if this true? confused

MildPossession
It is, the director of Haute Tension/Switchblade Romance is directing it apparently, so it should be quite bloody smile

Has anyone seen the 3rd Hills have Eyes film? just wondering if it's worth seeing.

Wolfie
IMDb gives it a 3.0. I've never seen any of them so I don't know.

Azrael01
I liked night of the living dead, TCM, Dawn of the dead, house on haunted hill, and pcycho mainly because I don't like black and white.

MildPossession
This was from Bloody Disgusting:

Jennifer_Tilly
I like these remakes....
*The Thing
*TCM
*Dawn of the Dead
*Night of the Living Dead

tabby999
dont forget the upcoming remake of Evil Dead, damn them all to hell

Darth_Big_Boy
Only remakes I like are TCM and NOTLD.

Wolfie
I just got the Toolbox Murders remake with director *drumrolls* Tobe Hooper! It wasn't bad... maybe even good. Anyone else see it?

Lately, I haven't been seeing remakes before checking out the original first but in this case, I heard the original wasn't all that good... and the TCM legend didn't direct it.

robjohn
I really liked the House on Haunted Hill remake though the original was fun too. I guess i get a little pissed when people make a big deal about remakes of originally shitty movies im excited by house of wax and i laugh when people tryed to tell me that its ruining the original. Didn't mind dawn or tcm. What bothers me is freddy vs. jason and this whole freddyvs.jason vs. ash stuff i've been hearing about.

gls
the vs ash has been canned. with the evil dead remake they'll look for someone else to pit against freddy and jason

ashtonsNO1fan
i liked the remake of the hauntin too. there are other remakes i like but they're not horror, but apparantly they are makin a remake of halloween.

MildPossession
That is a big pointless mistake remaking Halloween.

Wolfie
I dunno if they're gonna pull through with that with Halloween 9 being made.

hbanana
Has anyone seen the original "House of Wax"? The trailer looks interesting, but I'm wondering how scary it will be?

ComeGetSum!
Am i the only one who is getting sick and tired of all these Hollywood remakes that are on the go.

One of my favourite films of all time is 'Ringu' The original Japanese Ring. This film is fantastic, Where as the new version was just.. well, Shit!.

Now there talking about remaking the Evil Dead. Personally i think these people should think of some new ideas instead of getting rich off of other peoples films.

What films do you think should have never been remade.

PRO-PAIN
Well there is a remake of the Hills Have Eyes coming out and there is also gonna be a remake of Suspiria coming out.

Both of these should def. not be remade, there is nothing wrong with the originals in the first place.

I am getting sick of all the remakes coming out that is for sure.

el barto_1
Originally posted by ComeGetSum!
Am i the only one who is getting sick and tired of all these Hollywood remakes that are on the go.

Now there talking about remaking the Evil Dead. Personally i think these people should think of some new ideas instead of getting rich off of other peoples films.

well...evil dead was actually some horrible shit so maybee a remake could be a god thing

MildPossession
Hills Have Eyes remake is getting remade by the Haute Tension director, so we could have a very bloody film on our hands compared to the original. So it is a remake I am looking forwards to. His gore is excellent.

As for Susperia, a remake is pointless.

Wendigo
Does anyone know anything at all about the IT remake? confused

sarcomens
Originally posted by PRO-PAIN
Well there is a remake of the Hills Have Eyes coming out and there is also gonna be a remake of Suspiria coming out.

Both of these should def. not be remade, there is nothing wrong with the originals in the first place.

I am getting sick of all the remakes coming out that is for sure. WHO is doing a remake of Suspiria? One of my favorite movies, and I hate remakes of already good movies.

MildPossession
I heard about the IT remake last year, haven't heard anything else about it since. I think it's just died.

As for Susperia, I don't know who the director it.

tpaquin
Originally posted by el barto_1
Originally posted by ComeGetSum!

They remade it, already...they call it Evil Dead II. OKay, so it's a remake/sequel/whatever...it's still realy fun.

The fact that Xander from Buffy is Ash in this versioin is enough for me to stay away.

PRO-PAIN
Originally posted by sarcomens
WHO is doing a remake of Suspiria? One of my favorite movies, and I hate remakes of already good movies.

Check out the link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363109/

sarcomens
They have asked Argento about the remake of Suspiria and he said "It will be shit but that won't be my fault. I've read the script they've sent to three directors and it's awful"

http://www.darkdreams.org/trieste_report.html

MildPossession
Xander is Ash? urgh dear god, really scraping the bottom of the barrel there. Where did you here that stupid news?

Evil Dead
1. bah......I think The Ring is just as good as Ringu. I refuse to say the original is better simply because the original Japanese versions of these American remakes are supposed to be "cool" right now. I enjoyed both versions equally.

2. I think both The Evil Dead and The Hills Have Eyes can do with a remake. Both are terribly dated.......but have good stories.

MildPossession
I still prefer the original, saw it when it was first released, but did enjoy the remake a lot, nicely shot.

ComeGetSum!
The rumour that i saw somewhere was that stiffler from the american pie movies (don't know his name) is going to be cast as Ash.

I think he'd be a lot better than that xander guy.

Anyway i'm still not for the remake, I mean I can imagine it's a lot like a star wars fanatic finding out that star wars is being remade! It just shouldn't be done.

Bring on Bruce in Evil Dead 4!!!!

Groovy!

On another note, I Just found out that one of the films that terrified me as a child is (you guessed it!) is being remade. This being John Carpenters 'The Fog'. To me this film is a horror classic, although its highly dated, this film holds a place in my mind as the end scene (not going to spoil the ending for anyone here) scare me sh*tless for most of my youth.

Anyone agree?

How cool was John Carpenters 'Prince of Darkness' another classic ready for a reworking probably!

NoDefeat
I think remakes were ok when they were doing every now and again but the last several years it has been one remake after another and it is getting very tiresome. Especially with the fact that most of these remakes are worse than the original and that most people who think they are great haven't even seen the original.

slayer
Sorry Wendigo i've looked around on the net and stuff 4 u but can't find anythin', wopuld u like me 2 keep looking?

Wendigo
Originally posted by slayer
Sorry Wendigo i've looked around on the net and stuff 4 u but can't find anythin', wopuld u like me 2 keep looking?

Yeah,thanks keep looking smile

Azrael01
I don't know if this is true but here is a article on it remake
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040520g.php

Wendigo
smile That's cool! Thanks Azrael!

Azrael01
sure here to help
they probably will remake it they remade shinning, and salems lot.

Loving_Daniel11
Of most of the movies Ive seen, the remakes actually turn out better than the originals.

n_ocent_amber
exactly loving daniel....i dont see many remakes that are horrible....dawn of the dead was great....AND texas chainsaw massacre was FREAKIN AWESOME!!

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Azrael01
sure here to help
they probably will remake it they remade shinning, and salems lot.

They already did. Both of them ,both for television. "Salem's Lot" was a TV movie to begin with, anyway.

Wolfie
The House of Wax remake doesn't look too bad. After I see the original, I might check it out.

I just saw the Dawn of the Dead remake last night. That was pretty good.

tabby999
Originally posted by n_ocent_amber
exactly loving daniel....i dont see many remakes that are horrible....dawn of the dead was great....AND texas chainsaw massacre was FREAKIN AWESOME!!

Dawn Of The Dead was ok, but the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake couldn't touch the original, its piss poor in comparison

BackFire
merged the two remake threads.

n_ocent_amber
why is everyone so against remakes.....it doesnt make the original any far less better or worse....remakes are for the generation thats not into older movies. i wasnt even born in 79 when the amityville horror was made so of course im gonna think the remake is better cause its more up to date!! im positive i would prolly think the original would have been better if i would have been there to enjoy it....i thought it was boring. i know they didnt have much of a budget to work with too!!

Wendigo
I'm not against remakes but it depends what it is

tpaquin
Originally posted by n_ocent_amber
why is everyone so against remakes.....it doesnt make the original any far less better or worse....remakes are for the generation thats not into older movies. i wasnt even born in 79 when the amityville horror was made so of course im gonna think the remake is better cause its more up to date!! im positive i would prolly think the original would have been better if i would have been there to enjoy it....i thought it was boring. i know they didnt have much of a budget to work with too!!

1. Big budget does not equal big quality.

2. Amityville horror 2005 was a cliched mess. No "up to date"-ness can sheild that.

3. The original was not very good, either.

MildPossession
I wasn't born when the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released, but I still prefer that over the horrible pointless remake.

And for people not to be into the 'older films' is quite sad, and an excuse that the remake is better because it's 'up to date' is just silly and void.

Dawn of the Dead did a very good job, but the original is still the better film.

n_ocent_amber
quite sad huh...well thats really an immature judgement.....i dont like some of the old ones cause i just dont so dont go judging me.

and i never said that ALL big budget films are the best....example.....being house of the dead. a remake of a video game....horrible movie....but hey if you liked it...more power to ya!! why agrue over this cause its a waste of time....people have different opinions....you can argue over this all day!!

MildPossession
It wasn't immature, I wasn't saying you were sad, I was saying it's sad to know that people don't watch certain films because of a certain silly reason.

Blue_Butterfly
I personally think that all these remakes of horror movies are pointless. The origionals are alot better and I think alot scarier. Yeah the remakes have better effects or whatever but nothing beats the origional.

gls
out of all the recent remakes.. the only decent ones were (imo); dawn of the dead, TCM, and house of wax.
the were entertaining.
and btw, most horror movies (mainstream) in general aren't scary at all, older or newer ones alike imo.

b-dan
Originally posted by Blue_Butterfly
I personally think that all these remakes of horror movies are pointless. The origionals are alot better and I think alot scarier. Yeah the remakes have better effects or whatever but nothing beats the origional. nice sig man IT rules but in remakes the Fly remake beat the orignal

LepperFace15
How about ya'll shut the hell up about people making remakes. They're just movies. And all of you are going to go watch them anyways.

Hipocrites.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about remakes and how they shouldn't be made. How in the hell does it affect you? It doesn't.

I'm going to state this everytime someone on the KMC forums has to complain about a remake. It's a remake. Get over it.

:]

Comicbook_kid
Remakes, for the most part, suck big, hairy, donkey-nuts....plain and simple. They're an insult to the original, an insult to the fans who grew up loving the originals, and show that Hollywood is running out of ideas of originality so they feel tey need to take a classic and turn it into a shitty remake and cash in on a quick buck. There are a few remakes that I felt were actually superior to the original though, but this is an EXTREMELY RARE case...99.999% of the time, the original is ALWAYS better...but here are some exceptions...

1. The Thing (1982)
2. The Fly (1986)
3. The Blob (1988)

Some that I thought were pretty decent and worth a look, although nowhere near the originals....

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
2. Night of the Living Dead (1990)
3. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
4. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
5. The Amityville Horror (2005)
6. Red Dragon (was a remake of "Manhunter"wink (2002)
7. Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
8. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1993)
9. King Kong (2005)
10. War of the Worlds (2005)

Some that I thought "Ugh...", watch at your own risk (especially if you enjoyed the originals)...

1. House of Wax
2. Psycho
3. The Shining
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
5. Salem's Lot
6. The Fog
7. The Haunting
8. House on Haunted Hill
9. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
10. Godzilla (1998)

I haven't seen the new "When a Stranger calls". I also haven't seen the remake of "Carrie". So I can't comment on those two. I dread "The Omen" remake this summer, it will probably suck. I hear that a remake of "Friday the 13th" is in the works; also a remake of "The Evil Dead" with Ashton Kutcher is also in the works...Good Lord, is nothing sacred anymore??? What's next...? A remake of " A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Halloween"?...*SHEESH*

Impediment
Originally posted by LepperFace15
How about ya'll shut the hell up about people making remakes. They're just movies. And all of you are going to go watch them anyways.

Hipocrites.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about remakes and how they shouldn't be made. How in the hell does it affect you? It doesn't.

I'm going to state this everytime someone on the KMC forums has to complain about a remake. It's a remake. Get over it.

:]

Change your tampon and calm down. This is not an arguement, merely a discussion. People have differentiated opinions about this matter, and like to voice them, and this thread allows them to do so. So, if you don't like the opinions stated herein, just shut up and leave it alone.

Comicbook_kid
laughing ....what he said ^

Oh, and I didn't mention it in my list above, but I also enjoyed the recent remake of "The Toolbox Murders". I unfortunately have not gotten to see the original yet, but from what I saw of the remake, I'm sure the original is good too and I would enjoy it as well. The remake has Angela Bettis in it (who I am strangely very attracted to), and she really makes the movie very enjoyable...highly recommended!!!

deathbycorn
In the course of history, remakes will be forgotten and only the originals will be remembered. That's the way it works. All remakes really do is generate a new interest in the originals and give people reason to revisit the originals. There has never been a remake that surpassed the original, but only, at most, elaborates on what the original set forth.

Wolfie
Originally posted by deathbycorn
In the course of history, remakes will be forgotten and only the originals will be remembered. That's the way it works. All remakes really do is generate a new interest in the originals and give people reason to revisit the originals. There has never been a remake that surpassed the original, but only, at most, elaborates on what the original set forth.
Not exactly. Remakes are being made for people that think the original is "too old." That's really disturbing, that the age of a film will just turn people away from it. And those same people think of themselves as horror fans.

As far as remakes being forgotten and the originals living on, only time will tell on that one. The Thing remake surely is better known than The Thing from Another World.

Then again, the NOTLD original is remembered and the 1990 remake is almost forgotten.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.