In defence of Arrogance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophicus

Storm

Philosophicus
I disagree with your view on arrogance, and do you think Nietzsche, one of the greatest philosophers, didn't know what he was talking about?

Storm

Philosophicus
You only quoted something - where's your opinion?

Storm
Nietzsche wasn' t infallible.

Philosophicus
So, do you think you are infallable? You have just proven the non-existence of fact by displaying your own opinion about arrogance - a proof that the world is made up of interpretations.

Storm
No one is infallible. I never stated that how I see arrogance was a fact nor denied that it was merely an interpretation.

BackFire
No one is infallable. (exept me) wink

Philosophicus
Storm - In other words it might be your fallable side speaking now?

Fire
IMO there never ever was a need for arrogance

Seriously, what is wrong with arrogance? Isn't it just an expression of one's own strong beliefs and passions?

NO it isn't arrogance is believing you are better than other people and rubbing it in their faces.

Storm
Is this how you counter a reply, by stating that a member' s fallible side might be speaking? Once again, you' re implying that only you hold the truth.

Philosophicus
What is the value or meaning of having an opinion/belief if one does not have a firm belief that one is right and others are wrong?

Storm
But some refuse to take other opinions into consideration, rejecting everything form the first word while others keep every possibility open.

Philosophicus
That's the difference between greatness and goodness. Greatness is to follow your own heart, form your own original, unique thoughts, art, etc. without having being influenced by someone else. We should strive to be original.

Fire
Even the greatest people were inspired by and listened to others

Philosophicus
Yes, but they listened to and was inspired by other Great figures in history.

Fire
True, but who is to say who is a great figure and who is not, except for history itself?

Storm
Greatness is exchanging views and completion without losing one' s identity.

HarmoNiC FLo
If we all strive to be original, we'd run out of "good" original things and turn to "evil" to satisfy tha need to be original. thats why a lot of people take good original ideas and add their own remix to make it their own.

finti
to be arrogant is more or less the same as being an ass hole

Philosophicus
I don't agree with that.

peterKSL
neither am I...

Philosophicus
And what is the point you're trying to make? That I'm a smart ass hole? rolling on floor laughing

finti
didnt say anything about smart, just that thats how I define arrogance

peterKSL
The one who only complains about someone being arrogant, is when one is affected by it. How to not be affected by it?? One must just follow the rules to accept the truth.

...."Truth only hurts if you are living in a lie"....

finti
one can have an opinion on a matter without being affected by it. Like I have an opinion on the re election of president Bush but that he got elected really doesnt affect me too much.
So I have an definition on arrogance, I also have a personal definition about dictators too without they affect me a bit

peterKSL
they did affect you into action... if not you wouldn't even bother to care or notice them for showing arrogance... wink

Philosophicus
Someone is talking sense here.

finti
again dont have to affected to have an definition for arrogance.
If someone ask me how to define arrogance ass hole would be my answer due to how arrogant people behave. One can be a bystander and watch without taking a part and still have an opinion on the matter

peterKSL
Originally posted by Philosophicus
Someone is making sense here
wink

SaTsuJiN
"Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior. "
- Isnt that like saying wisdom is a forbidden fruit? (leave it be or become corrupt)

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
-Doubtful.. courage is the essence of a noble soul, IMO.. you dont get anywhere in the world by telling people how cool you are.. but saving someones life (whether you put yours on the line to do so) is extraordinarily noble

"He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted."
-Then 'he' was not truely humble... the truely humble stick to their word... mind, body and soul. Hipocrisy is not the foundation of a humble man.

brandino
i dont know those reindeer since norway is the worlds supplier of reindeer THEY MIGHT BE WMD who knows you crazy norwedgians might try to send us suicidal reindeer bombs

j/k im norwedgian so its all good Happy Dance laughing

Philosophicus
Please, you don't have the intellectual capacity to argue with a great mind such as Nietzsche.

Philosophicus
Hey finti, you havn't once come up with your own original philosophical idea, are you too scared people will criticise you? What are you doing in a philosophy forum when you merely criticise other people's opinions, give us your own one to prove yourself.

SaTsuJiN
pff.. you dont have the intellectual capacity to make presumputous judgements (clearly made by your constant condescending towards others.. truely the quality of a fool in genius' clothing).. things are put on this earth to be questioned, regardless of who they came from

Philosophicus
One doesn't need intellectual capacity to make presumptous judgments.

SaTsuJiN
Exactly my point... wink

Philosophicus
So, you're impying I'm an idiot, while at the same time you ask me to simplify my theories!? laughing out loud

SaTsuJiN
I prefer to say fool, because you ignore people who may potentially be interested in exploring philosophy in a deeper sense.. Im sure (as someone who is practically deeming themself as a representative of the type of people who are involved in this branch of studies).. it does become very dismal to think that all your group of colleagues might do is stand around and call eachother idiots all day long.. I never asked you to simplify your theories 'for me'... yet again more presuming.. you should write a book about presuming.. I'm sure you could go on and on yes

Philosophicus
mad smokin' laughing out loud laughing

finti
dont need an original philosophical idea. In here I enjoy reading post by people who think way to highly of their own intellect. But if you wanna play philosopichal

- Arrogance is a retraction of the truth

Philosophicus
That makes no sense.

finti
guess it is real philosophy then

Philosophicus
No. It's not a philosophical statement.

SaTsuJiN
I think the fact that you said "the truth" is what makes it vague (in my opinion).. what is the truth in this case? It could be anything from the readers point of view

Philosophicus
I agree.

finti
most things spans out from the readers point of view.

Another take at it is arrogance is the retraction from how things are

oh please define philosophical statement

Chain Smoker
A philosophical statement is distinct from everyday statements in one way: the statement evidences the self-reflectional characteristic of self-consciousness. In other words, it is a statement which stems from the very essence of intelligence endeavoring to contemplate itself. Such statements represent the highest form of consciousness.

finti
or to really simplify it, a load of hogwash

Arena Host
LOL laughing

Arachnoidfreak
You're wrong. Why? Because I know I'm right. By your own logic, there's nothing you will ever say that will prove me wrong.

KharmaDog
Philo doesn't deal in logic, he'll just call you an idiot.

Arachnoidfreak
laughing

Philosophicus
smokin' laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.