Greatest band musicianship, NOT down to preference,

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Greetings.

This thread is to determine or try to get a debate going on, the greatest band in the world, musically with regards to how good they are on their instruments.

We all have our favourite bands. Mine is Tool, Electric's is The Beatles (I think, or one of), Deathblow holds the Deftones in high regard.

But who, like or not, do you think has the greatest combined talent as a band?

-AC

Afro Cheese
Do you mean who makes the most talented music as a band or who has the most individual talent among the band members? I don't think I know enough about music to answer that one.

Deathblow
I'd like to say Opeth, they are my favorite band and all, but I think they're probably the best set of musicians around today, along with Tool and Porcupine Tree.

Of all time though, it would have to be Led Zeppelin. All four band members are/were one of the 10 greatest ever in their particular area. John Bonham is arguably the greatest drummer in history. I don't like a lot of their songs, but their musicianship never fails to blow me away, every song just sounds huge.

eggmayo
Sabbath, Zeppelin or Guns and Roses

Alpha Centauri
I'm gonna agree with Victor Von Doom (this is why I created the thread, off the back of the discussion) and say Rush.

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.

Probably untouchable musicianship in that band.

-AC

Darth Revan
Out of the bands that exist right now, I'd say Tool... Though there are arguably better musicians doing solo material who aren't in any bands right now.

ElectricBugaloo
Oh, no way are The Beatles the best instrumentally (though they are underrated)
I'd have to give that edge to The Who, with arguably the greatest bassist and drummers of all time and a very good guitarist. Not to mention Daltry's voice.

Alpha Centauri
Neil Peart is technically the best drummer (technique) of all those mentioned so far I believe.

I think Geddy Lee is as arguably the best along side John Paul, that's debatable though. As much as I love Entwhistle's work I don't think he is as good as those two.

Jimmy Page is better than Alex Lifeson I think but I think those two are pretty far ahead of Pete Townshend.

Can't argue that The Who are definate contenders for overall best musicianship though. Won't deny that.

-AC

SlipknoT
Led Zeppelin
Pantera
Black Sabbath

Bierbommetje
Well, I cant really say but according to my dad, who knows thousands of bands, Toto, Little Feet and Yes are definitely a few of the best, talking rock that is. I've heard music by all of these bands, but not enough to say wheter I agree or not, but I thought id throw it into the group.

eggmayo
thumb up

Sickened.
I would like to thank eveyone, so far, for not even mentioning Metallica.

Victor Von Doom
Rush. Lifeson is a better player than Page, Page is more influential though. The other two are probably the best in their fields, while Geddy Lee is easily in the top 5 of singers.

If not, Zappa band Bozzio era.

Bierbommetje
Hetfield and Burton are the only truly good musisians Metallica ever knew, but they certainly arent THE best, well Hetfield might be one of the best rhytem guitarists in metal, but thats it. Hammett is overrated IMO, and Ulrich sucks. Cant really judge Mustaine, cause I havent heared much by him.

But they certainly dont belong in this thread IMO.

Alpha Centauri
I think Hetfield and Hammett are now and always have been the two best in the band. Not to mention James is the greatest rhythm guitarist ever.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Huh, I consider Keith Moon the greatest rock drummer ever because of the way his stuff while brilliant was never a distraction to the rest of the music; he didn't need to indulge himself in 20 minute drum solos.

But we've had this conversation before. And I put Entwhistle WAY ahead of John Paul.

Alpha Centauri
"he didn't need to indulge himself in 20 minute drum solos."

That's what I think is great about Peart. He didn't need to. He did because he could and their music is more astounding for it. I'm not judging him on solos alone though. I'm judging him overall. To each their own.

-AC

Lord_Andres
Guitar player in Metallica is so overated, I'm not to impressed by his playing at all, Norum, and Malmsteen are by far superiour, Europe as an example, they have it all, GREAT singer, fantastic guitar player, amazing keyboards, vild drummes, cool bass, and they write great songs!

Atomic Rico
Beatles>Led Zeppelin
It was a tough call, but I had to choose one

ElectricBugaloo
Instrumentally, The Beatles aren't even close to Led Zeppelin. Mostly because of Ringo.

Atomic Rico
Ringo<Bonham
Mccartney=Plant
Harrison<Page
Lennon>Jones(I know, I know-They dont play the same instrument, but I had to make some comparison)

ElectricBugaloo
Ringo < Bonham
Paul < Jones
Paul = Plant
Harrison < Page
Lennon > Plant

Atomic Rico
Im not gonna lie when I say I like Plant's voice a teensy bit better then lennons

Victor Von Doom
Robert Plant is a much better singer than Paul McCartney.

Atomic Rico
Plant has a beautiful voice period.

But cmon, I cant choose between the two gods of rock

ElectricBugaloo
I like McCartney's voice better than Plants, but its all down to personal opinion.

Atomic Rico
It really comes down to what you think about liverpool accents
I know people that hate the beatles just becuase of that

Victor Von Doom
It is.

I'd say Plant is technically a better singer though.

In terms of preference I'd still go with him.

Atomic Rico
Also, this dosent have to do with led zep or beatles
but in sheer terms of stage energy, I'd have to say Rolling Stones in the classic rock category(40 years!! damn)

ElectricBugaloo
Stage Energy? Iggy and the Stooges.

Tptmanno1
Hmm,
Im gonna post the muscians becuase i really don't know about the overall band.

Guitar: Slash from G&R and VR becuase his solos are killer, very underrated.
Bassist: Commerfield from RATM. I have never heard more complex bass tracks that are as consistant and steady as his.
Vocals: Maynard from tool and APC: His variaty is amazing as well as his control.
Drums: Hard call... I don't really know, I like Tools drummer but... I dunno..

Honorable mentions
Pink Floyd Guitarist (Forget his name)
Hammet and Hetfield from metalica
Zepplin and all that stuff...
Billy From smashing Pumpkins and APC

ragesRemorse
why is everyone comparing mcCartney to plant? Paul had nothing on lennon. When it comes to rock i would say that McCartney had the more universal kind of voice. McCartney has that kind of voice that pleases the ear without any training. I look at plant as holding a voice very similar to wine. You have to aquire a taste for it. Once you do, yo are enlightened to a new perception of harmony. Plant and paul approch singing very differently and is hard to compare. However, i would say that Lenon was a far better singer than paul. Lenon always put everything he had into his singing.

For the best rock lyricists i would say that elton john, Robert plant or john lenon lead this list. On a more up to date version i would have to say that billy corgan is worth mentioning as a possibility. I believe he had talent he never explored. Sting is probably one of the Most talented singers of our generation

ElectricBugaloo
Paul's voice was much more trained than Lennon's owing to his musical background. Lennon had the more 'universal' untrained voice. Which is why on some songs Lennon had Paul sing them because he knew his voice wasn't quite up to par. So even Lennon knew that Paul's voice was the best in the band.

Elton John actually didn't write a lot of his songs (and wasn't exactly rock either). Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Brian Wilson were probably better lyricists than Plant.

tabby999
i'd put it up between Pantra or Judas Priest.

Pantera is (was i should say) made up of very talented people:
Phil Anselmo: talented vocalist, gruff voice, but gruff dosn't mean bad. also an amazing lyricist.
Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P): amazing guitar work on all of the cds put out, a major influence on many many guitarists
Vinnie Abbott: amazing drummer, who you really hear come into his own in Reinventing the Steel
Rex Brown: the forgotten pantera memeber. Bass work is also amazing, but is covered by Dimebags guitar lots of the time

and as for Judas Priest, i dont know all of the memebers, so i cant do a run down. i'd have said metallica but Ulrich isn't any good

eggmayo
Vocals - Ozzy or Robert Plant
Guitar - Brian May, Tony Iommi, Slash, John Frusciante
Bass - Flea
Drums - The onearmed Def Leppard drummer, purely for his spirit.

Atomic Rico
Bob Dylan is one of the top 3 best writers of all time, nevermind his raspy voice, Springsteens always been good too. As for Sting, He was the best rock star of the 80's

Atomic Rico
Bob Dylan is one of the top 3 best writers of all time, nevermind his raspy voice, Springsteens always been good too. As for Sting, He was the best alternative rock star of the 80's

Deathblow
If we're going to talk about stage energy, The Ramones will always be the kings. I'm not sure if they're classic enough to be classic rock..maybe the term classic punk needs to be invented.

And the best alt rock stars of the 80's were without a doubt Pixies, the best band of the 80's by several thousand miles.

ElectricBugaloo
...but this thread isn't about songwriting, but rather musicianship.

and The Ramones? Please. They stood around basically still on stage. Iggy danced around like a man possessed...he'd end up bloody and beaten after shows..

Deathblow
Nah, my uncle has a videotape he recorded of a Ramones show in a club somewhere in Wisconsin, and it's completely insane. The footage of Johnny is just priceless.

Victor Von Doom
I think Corgan's voice can grate a little.

Also, this isn't a 'dream band' thread, it's which actual band has the best musicianship.

tabby999
as far as being a amazing front man and making the crowd go nuts, Bon Scott from AC/DC is pretty hard to touch. he was a mad man, i saw a video of them playing and half way through the set he skolled a bottle of burbon, got another 3 songs into the set, staggered, slid down the mic stand, then propped up on it, sung the rest of the set, then passed out on the stage. hardcore

Atomic Rico
I've always loved Angus Young's little dance he does on stage

tabby999
yeah it's pretty hard to be as good as AC/DC

ragesRemorse
Elton john wrote a great deal of his songs. there are a good bit of songs that he just covered, but i dont know what that point has to do with anything. That does not take away from his talent or ability. That is like saying that because Led Zeppelin ripped off most of their music they are less than great musicians. True, elton wasnt entirely rock, but i dont think he has or had a title to hus music. he was merely a musician that happend to cover rock songs.

ElectricBugaloo
look up a guy named Bernie Taupin

ragesRemorse
i was wrong to include Elton john as a lyricist, i meant to say vocalist. Elton john wrote many of his songs. I am not saying that he diddnt borrow or have other people write the lyrics to music. I am just saying out of all of his songs, he wrote many of them. I dont know what the argument is.

Alpha Centauri
This is nice but the purpose of the thread was which band has the greatest musicianship.

Not who jumps around and dances the most.

-AC

Sickened.
Mastadon \m/

Alpha Centauri
Mastodon have great musicianship, very talented band. Not the best ever by far though.

-AC

Aku
Tool, Funeral for a Friend, Brand New, Bad Religion have kickass musicianship.

Deftones gotta be the best though. No matter what your mood, you can always listen to deftones and that (to me) proves good muscianship.

But what did you expect me to say? Deftones are my favourite band.

smile smile smile

eggmayo
Zeppelin, Sabbath, AC/DC and Guns And Roses

Alpha Centauri
"But what did you expect me to say? Deftones are my favourite band. "

I didn't expect you to say Deftones because they're your favourite band. Coz the title of the thread says "Not down to preference".

-AC

Aku
Ah but you cant enjoy music from another genre if you dont like the other genre.

Bierbommetje
But thats not what its about

GABRIEL05
The best band, that worked together as a one cohesive band. The band to end all bands, they were each individually the baddest ass players on their instruments and they played together seamlessly. Miles Davis quintet 62-67
Tony Williams-drms
Ron Carter-bs
Herbie Hancock-pno
Wayne Shorter-ten
Miles Davis-trpt

Sickened.
"Mastodon have great musicianship, very talented band. Not the best ever by far though. -AC"

Technically, no. Though, I believe there creativeness put's them closer then you think.

Alpha Centauri
"Though, I believe there creativeness put's them closer then you think."

I think I view them as the great band they are. I think in an album or two they will have taken (hopefully) the stance of being the best Heavy Metal band on the planet, talent wise also.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.