Biggest Continuity error in Alien 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I'll give you a cookie if you can guess it. Could be discussed somewhere already, but I'm sure it will be a sinch to answer

For everyone who is familiar with the Alien movies, there is a major continuity error in Alien 3. So bad, the whole story of the movie should not have happened.

DreXor
well the original "theory" on the aliens is that they inject their young into a host, then inside, it grows and feeds on the insides of the host, then breaks out when it's big enough ( like spiders ) this growth and feeding might leave residual matter of the young, but the young dont "symbiote" with the host, therefore no mix of dna, and re-using some of ripley's old dna to re-create her should never have yielded the alien young.

i think that's about what you're looking for.

OB1-adobe
Good answer, but that is not it. It does have something to do with eggs being injested into a host.

Keep guessing.

Scoobless
the length of time the alien took to go from egg to full grown (i can't remember the word for this and it's really annoying) seemed rediculously fast........ that it?

Scoobless
gestate............. the word i was looking for was gestate

*smiles to himself *

ApocOne
please pm me the answer big grin

Cinemaddiction
I'm going to kick this over to the MDF for general discussion, as it's not really a "trivia question" per se, and it could evolve into a decent discussion thread.

ragesRemorse
The gestation period is effected by it's host. In alien 3 the host was a dog. Dog's grow faster than humans. It also fed alot, this effects an aliens growth period aswell.

I think the biggest continuity problem of alien 3 is that it was the exact same premise as alien. The only thing this film had going for it was the atmosphere..

OB1-adobe
Well here is the answer, anyone if they know better please correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of people agree with me on this.

The biggest error is: It has come to my attention that it is believed that when a face hugger attaches it self to a being and gestates, it will come off and then die after it was done doing its thing only once.

Well in the case of alien 3, the face hugger attached itself to ripley, did its thing, and then attached itself to the dog. It gestated twice.

Scoobless
no it didn't, there was more than one in the ship, the "company" arranged for multiple aliens to infect rip, newt and hicks...... or wsa it hudson.....?

Cinemaddiction
..sure would be a shame to put us through all this for Scoob to prove you wrong, lol.

OB1-adobe
WTF??? I only saw one egg, what are you talking about

SaTsuJiN
wasnt alien 3 developed by some complete momo anyway? I personally think they ruined alien when they turned it into action -_-

Myth
Here's a problem. There is no difference between an alien coming out of a dog or a human. But in Alien vs Predator, there is a crossbreed.

Myth
Btw, I just ordered the quadrilogy for $25 ten minutes ago.

Scoobless
i never said there were two or three eggs visible in the film, just that there were enough facegrabbers on board for each human that had survived the 2nd film

GCG
i know im going to sound a bit of as geek, but its called a face hugger

Cinemaddiction
I sure as hell won't sit through "Alien 3" to confirm or deny these claims, that's fo sho.

Smasandian
It's not that bad of a movie. I think Roger Ebert puts it nicely, " its the best looking bad movie."

And there was more than one facehugger on the ship. That's why they cut open newt in the morgue.

RoaryUK
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Well here is the answer, anyone if they know better please correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of people agree with me on this.

The biggest error is: It has come to my attention that it is believed that when a face hugger attaches it self to a being and gestates, it will come off and then die after it was done doing its thing only once.

Well in the case of alien 3, the face hugger attached itself to ripley, did its thing, and then attached itself to the dog. It gestated twice.

Actually this is NOT a mistake, the confusion resulting in bad production on 20th Century Foxs' part, who constant intererence with Fincher caused a whole manner of problems, especially the script, which was constantly changing even during filming.

What they ended up with was things:

1) The movie, which shows a single hugger infecting one of the crew, (probably Ripley) then tries to infect Newt but gets injured, and bleeds acid which starts the fire on Sulaco. This Alien eventually gets down to the planet and infects the dog. Ever since the theatrical version of Alien 3 people have suggested a creature called a Super Face-Hugger, capable of laying two embyo's, might have been responsible.

2) Then there's the novel by Alan Dean Foster, which clearly suggests there was at least 2 huggers aboard the Sulaco. The one which attacks Newt is apparently killed, starting the fire on board the Sulaco, while the second gets down to the planet. This book came out before the movie and has caused a lot of debate, even though it holds no water when compared to the film.

The final script, by Walter Hill/David Giler and still available online, doesn't give much away either. There's no mention of any Supper Face-Hugger, yet we know from photos already published on the net, that such a creature WAS made for the film. What the script does give us, is most of what we knew was filmed and never released by FOX...that is...until the Alien Quadrilogy came along.

Getting back on topic, I would have to say, if your looking for ERRORS, possiby one the biggest Alien 3 goofer surrounds the Ox, which was the original beast infected by the Hugger Fincher (wisely) replaced it with the Dog.

NOUN: Parasite, parusIt
An animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); the parasite obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host.

Thing is, I always believed the Alien could not infect a dead animal, it is a parasite and therefore would feed off and/or use the host until it was ready. But in the Alien 3 Special Edition this animal was already DEAD before the chestburster sequence, suggesting perhaps the Hugger may have killed it, but thats not really the point. Ripley carries the Queen inside her, but believes if she dies the creature will too, yet if you cast your mind back to the Ox this appears to be not the case, which os probably why it never made to the theatrical version in the first place.

Getting back on topic...I think its safe to say there are a fewAn animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); the parasite obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host.

RoaryUK
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

Actually this is NOT a mistake, the confusion resulting in bad production on 20th Century Foxs' part, who constant intererence with Fincher caused a whole manner of problems, especially the script, which was constantly changing even during filming.

What they ended up with was things:

1) The movie, which shows a single hugger infecting one of the crew, (probably Ripley) then tries to infect Newt but gets injured, and bleeds acid which starts the fire on Sulaco. This Alien eventually gets down to the planet and infects the dog. Ever since the theatrical version of Alien 3 people have suggested a creature called a Super Face-Hugger, capable of laying two embyo's, might have been responsible.

2) Then there's the novel by Alan Dean Foster, which clearly suggests there was at least 2 huggers aboard the Sulaco. The one which attacks Newt is apparently killed, starting the fire on board the Sulaco, while the second gets down to the planet. This book came out before the movie and has caused a lot of debate, even though it holds no water when compared to the film.

The final script, by Walter Hill/David Giler and still available online, doesn't give much away either. There's no mention of any Supper Face-Hugger, yet we know from photos already published on the net, that such a creature WAS made for the film. What the script does give us, is most of what we knew was filmed and never released by FOX...that is...until the Alien Quadrilogy came along.

Getting back on topic, I would have to say, if your looking for ERRORS, possiby one the biggest Alien 3 goofer surrounds the Ox, which was the original beast infected by the Hugger Fincher (wisely) replaced it with the Dog.

NOUN: Parasite, parusIt
An animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); the parasite obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host.

Thing is, I always believed the Alien could not infect a dead animal, it is a parasite and therefore would feed off and/or use the host until it was ready. But in the Alien 3 Special Edition this animal was already DEAD before the chestburster sequence, suggesting perhaps the Hugger may have killed it, but thats not really the point. Ripley carries the Queen inside her, but believes if she dies the creature will too, yet if you cast your mind back to the Ox this appears to be not the case, which os probably why it never made to the theatrical version in the first place.

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Myth
Here's a problem. There is no difference between an alien coming out of a dog or a human. But in Alien vs Predator, there is a crossbreed.

Not totally correct. A thought used in Alien3 is that the host affects the behaviour of the alien born from it. That's why the alien there is more agressive and direct, chasing victims like a wolf (or dog) would do.
The aliens in the previous parts depended more on ambushing and stealth.
Hences Ripleys quote 'I never saw one like this before'

Ushgarak
Err, yes, can't see any problem here at all. We are MEANT to think there was only one egg, but then one of the plot developments was "Oh, Ripley's got it too, there must have been more than one."

The eggs weren't placed there by the Company- where would they have got them from? The Queen left them.

And the Alien 3 Alien was indeed different to the others, more dog-like, so AVP is following that continuity fine... however, neither film sits comfortably with the small exit wound from the Pilot in the original Alien, which implied they were all the same.

The Overmaster
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Err, yes, can't see any problem here at all. We are MEANT to think there was only one egg, but then one of the plot developments was "Oh, Ripley's got it too, there must have been more than one."

The eggs weren't placed there by the Company- where would they have got them from? The Queen left them.

And the Alien 3 Alien was indeed different to the others, more dog-like, so AVP is following that continuity fine... however, neither film sits comfortably with the small exit wound from the Pilot in the original Alien, which implied they were all the same.

Whatever happened to that Alien? The one that came out of the Pilot.

Ushgarak
There was a suggestion of antiquity to that ship, so presumably it died ages ago.

tedsallis
Continuity screw-up or otherwise, that aspect of Alien 3 has always baffled me, especially when you consider the Alien's life-cycle.

(Post #13, two steps closer...)

Xeno_Flax
New poster here, recently watched the first 3 Alien movies during Christmas break, and searched for answers to Ripley's pregnancy and stumbled upon here. Great forums btw.

My biggest cont. error is the fact that Ripley was infested with an alien embryo in the first place. This Super-Face Hugger everyone was referring to, I believe was actually supposed to be a face hugger that laid Queen Alien embyos. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

But then in the movie Ripley states she was dreaming about being violated. Let's assume there were 2 face huggers. The first one was hurt while trying to break into Newts chamber, where it bled acid which made the ship crash. If there was two, did the other one just not get hurt?

Plus, Ripley asked Bishop if there was an Alien on board. She didn't ask if there was more than one, and Bishop didn't say either. She also didn't ask if there was an egg or an Alien, and maybe it's just too much thinking, but...could it be that an Alien raped Ripley? I know it's so off the wall, but what if that Alien got hurt, and stayed on the Sulaco(?) before the escape pod jetisened?

I'm probably over-thinking everything too much, but thanks for listening.

Koenig
Forget the general release version which was cut to threads which pis*ed Fincher off. The extended version is better as you get to see (watch carefully, blink and you miss it) super face hugger which is bigger than the normal one. So we must assume able to lay more than one egg in its victim, of course not made clear by the film makers.

Xeno_Flax
Right, which I did watch, BUT, they said the Super Face Hugger wasn't to lay more than one egg, it was to only lay the eggs of an Alien Queen...

darthmaul1
I had always looked at it that the queen in Aliens new she may be going to die so she layed one egg before she impailed bishop which housed one face hugger that can hug 2 times. once implanting a queen and again with a regular alien. and the alien takes on the traits of the host that is why the alien in alien 3 ran like a dog even ripley said she hasn't seen one like this before. If the studio was smart they would start the franchies from after aliens and pretend alien 3 and 4 were just a hypersleep dream or something cause they sucked.

ren-again
Hi,ok correct if im wrong or what,but at the end of the movie ALIENS and I guess at the beginning of ALIEN 3 how was it that the Face-hugger pods got onboard the sulaco in the first place?????

DorianYates
The real quesiton is how did the egg even get there? If the queen brought onboard an egg, how did she go to a part of the sulaco that we had never seen before and place an egg there when the fact is we only see her at the sulaco's hanger?

Big continuity screw up, and bishop couldn't have brought up an egg as well.

Scythe
It was a Cystic Egg that the Queen layed right before she impaled Bishop. They are able to lay Queen eggs as well as Praetorian Xenomorph Eggs which can in turn evolve into a Queen. These eggs have been referred to as "Super Eggs" but that name is just stupid. They can actually birth up to three Facehuggers, not sure why there were two in that egg though I'd pin it on bad writing. The Xenomorphs have suffered greatly from horrible writing and misplaced, possibly coincidental planning. Which is why they are overpowered in one film, then depowered in another, then shit in another.

The whole thing about Ripley not being harmed by alien blood, she's a hybrid so to speak, she developed a bit of an immunity to it, when she rips out the Xenomprh's tongue, she was never covered in acidic blood...

Ripley and the Queen being cloned. She had the Queen in her, they shared the same body, same blood, same everything, her blood sample collected could have had remnants of the Queen's DNA as well.

The dog-like Xenomorph in Alien 3 is called a Runner. That which originated from a four-legged animal. They are among the different classes of Aliens. Drones, Praetorians, Warriors, Carriers, Ravagers, Predaliens, Chestbursters, Facehuggers, Eggs, Royal Eggs, PredQueens and regular Queens.

jaden101
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
wasnt alien 3 developed by some complete momo anyway? I personally think they ruined alien when they turned it into action -_-

Yeah...David Fincher...we all know what a shit director he is...i mean "se7en", "the game", "fight club", "the curious case of benjamin button", Zodiac

All absolute shit films so they are.

Scythe
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah...David Fincher...we all know what a shit director he is...i mean "se7en", "the game", "fight club", "the curious case of benjamin button", Zodiac

All absolute shit films so they are.

Wait a second, chum! Those aren't bad movies!! Are you tryin' ta pull a fast one on me???!! Ahaha!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Scythe

The dog-like Xenomorph in Alien 3 is called a Runner.

Unless of course its the special edition then its bloody Ox how stupid....

Scythe
Originally posted by Kazenji
Unless of course its the special edition then its bloody Ox how stupid....

I know, right? Stupid ass name. I read somewhere that in early 2003 that named was scrapped when they classified all Xenomorphs originating from animals into Runners.

Kazenji
Its not the name

its more the embryo i'm thinking of about how it takes some of the hosts DNA or traits and with the special edition of Alien 3 i fail to see how an Ox is faster then a dog erm

Scythe
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its not the name

its more the embryo i'm thinking of about how it takes some of the hosts DNA or traits and with the special edition of Alien 3 i fail to see how an Ox is faster then a dog erm

Also doesn't make sense, haha.

coolmovies
it could have been bishop putting them there becouse he said 'sorry i am late' he came back to pick up ripley at the end of the movie (aliens)

darthmaul1
Originally posted by coolmovies
it could have been bishop putting them there becouse he said 'sorry i am late' he came back to pick up ripley at the end of the movie (aliens)

He definatly wouldn't have enough time to get to the ship and back again in 15 minutes

Scythe

No, because if this were so, it would have been acknowledged somewhere, ya know?

coolmovies
Then it has to be the alien queen you see her getting off the ship at the end of aliens before attacking bishop

Scythe
Then it has to be the alien queen you see her getting off the ship at the end of aliens before attacking bishop

Yeah, as I mentioned before, the Queen had laid it as a precaution, it was a "royal egg" so to speak/type.

It's the only answer that makes the most sense.

coolmovies
she didnt want ripley to distroy all the eggs thats why she hid them

Scythe
she didnt want ripley to distroy all the eggs thats why she hid them

She didn't exactly hide them, she just laid them while they went from point A to point B.

Point A being the nest, and point B being the hanger bay where Ripley looked for the little girl.

ren-again
Hi again,the one problem I have with the idea that the queen laying an egg on-board the sulaco at end of the movie ALIENS is that I think she has to be hooked up to that egg laying machine(what ever u call it).When we first saw the queen she was hooked up to that egg laying device and then she detatched herself and chased ripley.So I still cant figure out how the face-hugger pods got on board the sulaco.Any ideas??

Scythe
Originally posted by ren-again
Hi again,the one problem I have with the idea that the queen laying an egg on-board the sulaco at end of the movie ALIENS is that I think she has to be hooked up to that egg laying machine(what ever u call it).When we first saw the queen she was hooked up to that egg laying device and then she detatched herself and chased ripley.So I still cant figure out how the face-hugger pods got on board the sulaco.Any ideas??

That "egg laying machine" isn't a device, it's her vagina so to speak. It's what squirts the eggs from her ovaries, forms them, and lays them. Queen's can produce that just how they produce enemal.

coolmovies
they forgot to make aliens part 2 !!! thats the answer big grin

Scythe
they forgot to make aliens part 2 !!! thats the answer big grin

Aliens part 2? Wasn't that Aliens 3?

coolmovies
that comes before 3

Scythe
You lost me there.

coolmovies
aliens part 2 should have been made before alien 3

Scythe
How come?

coolmovies
that way we wont have too ask many questions

darthmaul1
they should just start the series up again right after aliens and toss out alien 3 and 4, i know james cameron was pissed when they killed off all but one of the characters that he spent so much time building up.
I had thought that in order to lay the super egg the queen didn't need here long tube thingy, she can store one in reserve and lay it if she thinks she may get into trouble.

Scythe
Originally posted by darthmaul1
they should just start the series up again right after aliens and toss out alien 3 and 4, i know james cameron was pissed when they killed off all but one of the characters that he spent so much time building up.
I had thought that in order to lay the super egg the queen didn't need here long tube thingy, she can store one in reserve and lay it if she thinks she may get into trouble.

Yeah, I think they should forget 3 & 4 and start over. Heh.

Raoul
BRING BACK HICKS woot

probably not going to happen, but...

Scythe
Originally posted by Raoul
BRING BACK HICKS woot

probably not going to happen, but...

Hicks was the best, haha.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Scythe
Yeah, I think they should forget 3 & 4 and start over. Heh.

I don't. The cast are too old now...

If you don't like 3, then pretend it didn't happen. Forget about it. But more sequels is not what we need.

Scythe
Originally posted by Kovacs86
I don't. The cast are too old now...

If you don't like 3, then pretend it didn't happen. Forget about it. But more sequels is not what we need.

Well, a different plot with different characters, not the same ones. I could work, I think.

Raoul
i think we need a new aliens movie. not avp, just aliens. with marines of some sort. and a planet crawling with xenomorphs.

would definitely work imo.

Scythe
i think we need a new aliens movie. not avp, just aliens. with marines of some sort. and a planet crawling with xenomorphs.

That would be cool!

coolmovies
The alien set is comming to blu ray this year

Okay, Alien fans... you'll be pleased with this. You may have read at the excellent Bloody Disgusting website today that the first three films in the Alien series are rumored for release later this year on Blu-ray by 20th Century Fox. We've actually hinted previously here that you might see them on BD in 2009. Now, however, we CAN confirm that our industry sources have informed us that Fox's current plans call for not just the first three films, but the ENTIRE Alien Quadrilogy set to be ported over to Blu-ray Disc for a late 2009 release. This would include all four films in the series - the complete set will all extras - and likely new material created exclusively for the Blu-ray release as well. We understand that the work is still on-going and (as always with these Rumor Mill posts) all of this is subject to change. But with a little luck, the Quad set should make its debut in 1080p before the year is out.

from http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#021909
eek!

Kazenji

A avp movie could work alot better if they actually treat it right and not keep getting unknown directors involved for starters.

coolmovies
AVP R Killed the serias dead so no more alien movies plz

Kazenji
BLASPHEMY !

Raoul
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/02/20/will-ripley-rise-again-sigourney-weaver-on-alien-saga-i-just-dont-feel-that-its-quite-finished/#more-9567

coolmovies
its never gonna happen

coolmovies
But ripley askes bishiop (in alien 3) who put the eggs there and he said they where there all along . so the question is why did he leave them in there ? why didnt he take them out ?

darthmaul1

bulletproofcour
Great storyline! That would be an awesome movie if given a good budget and director.

darthmaul1
Thanks for the compliment.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.