Intellectional war?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

brandino
it doesnt have to be bloody
it could be exile or something
I want this to be philosophical i dont want this sent to oblivion (off topic)
but in my opinion and at the rate the world is going it will cant you see that stereotypes are becoming all realities
it sickens me i say we banish those and sprend intellectionalism across this universe otherwise mankind will be doomed
i could sit there and wait for a god to do it for me but i want to get things done before my time is done
it comes to people to change this
its just plain sick to see the dumbing down of society it doesnt have to be religious just change of society...
it used to be a good thing to be smart but in this society its looked down upon and its just stupid war is coming if no one wants to start it i will
for the betterment of mankind

SaTsuJiN
lol.. people arent looked down upon for being smart.. I just cant stand people who spit out long sentences but are not willing to simplify them for the people who request clarification.. instead they just go "Idiot!"... that is not a smart person , in my opinion... thats a fool with many enemies.

brandino
lol all the same there will be a wordly revolution eventually

brandino
where do you live sat

SaTsuJiN
East coast.. and I think the worldy revolution you're referring to might be a bit on the biblical side..

Philosophicus
If you need my simple theories to be simplified, then you are not intellectually capable of examinning philosophical arguments.

SaTsuJiN
then your ideas die with you, when they could have been conveyed over multiple mediums (or intellect ranges in this case).. plus it hardly takes effort.. not to mention I wasnt referring to you..its pretty generalised against most people I meet who declare themselves as being superior "Just because".. trying to supposedly "Dumbfound" you with the sheer awe of their intellect..when all they need to do is look in the mirror and see what a jerk they're being to other people.. although it is pretty funny.. it does match the way you treat others

Philosophicus
I'm sorry, but some arguments can't be simplified without losing their meaning.

Afro Cheese
Or maybe you're afraid to simplify them because then it would be obvious that they have no meaning. And what is intellectionism?

Ou Be Low hoo
The irony of someone posting something in the Philosophy Forum whilst using no punctuation, childish grammar and the word 'intellectional' is quite profound.

42Bardock
Atlas Shrugged reversed, eh?
Ayn Rand's pretty good

Arena Host
I beleive that all philosophical arguments can be put into general easy to understand terms that most can understand. It just might take a lot of work to get some of them that way.

plexed
You dont have any friends do you.

Philosophicus
No, I don't have any friends because the genius are alone

peterKSL
sharing interest is the aim of friendship... smile

Philosophicus
Exactly, Spider. And my interests are not very common except with a few people like yourself around here. smile

finti
the ability to make friends is all up to the individual, some are great making friends. Some just dont have their social antennas functioning thinking everything evolve around them all the time

Philosophicus
Some of the greatest geniuses were without friends - like Michelangelo.

KharmaDog
Lack of social skills and an inability to participate in positive and emotionally bonding social interaction is not a prerequisite for genius.

Are you comparing yourself to Michelangelo?

I think a genius would appreciate and acknowledge the benefits of positive social interaction on a personal scale. Friendship inspires, supports and fosters genius.

By hiding behind the personal philosophy of (and I am paraphrasing here) "I am too smart to have friends", I think that one is just showing their lack of maturity, insecurity and lack of grasp on reality. Perhaps walling oneself up in their own superiority is another technique used in this supposed "intellectual war" ?

Philosophicus
That's just your opinion KharmaDog, Michelangelo WAS a genius and WAS ARROGANT - he had a scar on his nose to prove that, as he was hit by someone who was annoyed by his arrogance, and he said himself that he did NOT need friends. Friendship does NOT foster genius. Why is it that a lot of geniuses were recluses?

finti
because they lack the skill to function socially

Corran
I don't think Sat was asking for the theories to be simplified, I think he was suggesting that vocabulary used to describe them could be simplified, you can understand scientific, mathematic and philosophical theories even if your grasp of the language/vocabulary is not great if the person explaining the theory were to simplify the vocabulary used then you may be pleasantly surprised that the person you thought was intellectually inadequate is in fact intellectually equal to yourself on certain subjects, but lacks in others.

KharmaDog
Definition of foster: To promote the growth and development of; cultivate: detect and foster artistic talent.

I'm sorry to tell you Philo that most artists either socialize with other artists or learn under the tutaledge of other artists. Especially in the time of michealangelo where everyone started as an apprentice.

Friendships are made, and where genius is acknowledge, it is fostered.

Don't try to catagorize your experience as the norm. Yes many geniuses are recluses. Many geniuses are also insane too. Not to mention that there are many well adjusted and socially active geniuses.

Philosophicus
So, what's your point?

peterKSL
probably if he met einstein, both would be friends, or maybe compatitors, because they both were geniuses.

Philosophicus
I think he would've probably hated Einstein, because he couldn't stand Da Vinci, who was another genius.

peterKSL
K.. that's what the problem is with sharing interest.... you either be friends, or compatitors....

Philosophicus
Exactly.

finti
your either friends or not, the people you compete with the most are actually your friends

Philosophicus
we must learn to hate our friends and to love our enemies! Nietzsche

finti
yeah an idiotic thing to say if you ask me

KharmaDog
Hate is not opposite of Love, that would be indifference. And I agree with Finti, Nietzsche came up empty on that one.

peterKSL
can explain to me why must we hate our friends? I don't quite understand that part... Nietzsche must have a reason to say that.... maybe he use metaphor???

Alpha Centauri
"No, I don't have any friends because the genius are alone"

Friends are as Finti said, down to the individual. You can be a genius and have friends.

I would say you're more of a genius to have friends than to be alone. How can you claim to be a genius when you lack the knowledge to adapt with social interaction?

-AC

Victor Von Doom
It could be interpreted in many ways.

Self-development.

42Bardock
I like Nietzsche but I don't agree wiuth this one. Neither is it a part of a genius to be alone I think. As someone mentioned Einstein before he had a circle of friends, called the Academy Olympia, Gauss had friends as well. And many of the great philosophers like Hobbes, Locke , Bentham or Mill had friends that weren't geniuses too. So its just up to the individual, even though for some people friends could just be an unecessary thing that you needd to deal with which could make them relativly useless so that you don'T need them anymore.
But wasn'T this thread aboot a war of the Intellectuals?

peterKSL
Read the title again, interllectional war. Maybe he meant international war? rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

Tell me why Nietzsche feels that Genius have to be alone? Helping others is what a genius should do... isn't it?

42Bardock
Read the title again it is intellectional war, but if you read his first post he meant that people get dumber and deumber and mediocracy is being seen as good.
He didn'T mean International I am rather positive on that.

Oh and Nietzsche never said that, I really don't know where you got that from. And no its not the purpose of a genius to help others. TRead Any Rands Atlas Shrugged. The geniuses have no reason tio help anyone, and they shouldn't except if they get something in exchange.

peterKSL
It was just a joke... didn't you see the smileys? I posted 3 ...lol..

A genius cannot be, if one does not prove one with evidence of one's discovery(ies). By proving discoveries, doesn't it mean that it helped humankind in one way or another?? And I agree with you said "except if they get something in exchange"... that occurs a lot to non-geniuses too.

42Bardock
I am sorry I didn't get that joke, my bad.
And a genius can be without ever ppublishing anythiung he said, genius is not being smart and known, but only being really really smart. And no not all discoveries help humankind.
And I belive no one does anything if he doesn't get anything in xchange.

peterKSL
genius is a title given, once one has came up with the prove of ones worthiness of having that title...

Afro Cheese
Arrogant "geniuses" don't have friends because they don't like to be placed on the same level as their peers, they don't want to look at someone else as an equal, they just want a bunch of inferior beings to stand around and gawk at their brilliance.

peterKSL
that is one possibility, another I found out is that if a genius is place with another normal being, the normal being would either betray him, or misunderstand him, and lead to serious problems..

T.M
i dunno if this has been said cause i couldn't be bothered to read all the posts stick out tongue

but in World War 2 the was a Magician who deceived the German bombers by making a town/city appear as if it was like 2 miles down the road so in the dark they bombed the fake village. then while the Germans were bombing that they were putting fake damage on the real town/city.

the germans came to look at what they had done and they saw a destructed town/city.

Intellectual war has taken place

Philosophicus
T.M - I like your warning! Very true, man.

finti
and this occured where?

Philosophicus
"but in World War 2 the was a Magician who deceived the German bombers by making a town/city appear as if it was like 2 miles down the road so in the dark they bombed the fake village. then while the Germans were bombing that they were putting fake damage on the real town/city."

I also never heard about this???

brandino
most genuises are without friends because they cant really compare to the average stupid joe
i also think that intelligence breeds insanity i think it has happened more then once if iam not mistaken
they also find different things with different terms and all genuises need to be friends it would make them insane and happy and us dolts can just go one being stupid and ignorant

punctuation sucks ass

Ou Be Low hoo
What's the point of being a genius if you have no friends? Why don't you follow my lead and have the best of both worlds...friendship and an extraordinary level of intelligence. It sure works for me...

finti
if that is so you sure fooled us

Philosophicus
The genius is always fooled by idiots, as he doesn't understand them. laughing out loud

Ou Be Low hoo
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he doesn't exist."

Works for me too.

finti
yeah delusion seems to be a virtue

Ou Be Low hoo
Only if you mistake it for 'illusion'.

Philosophicus
Neither illusion, nor delusion are virtues, what is however a virtue is the ability to know how to laugh at every truth and falsehood.

Ou Be Low hoo
Ha ha.

finti
ha ha to the latter of Philos quote tehn

Philosophicus
I'm glad you get it, but are you laughing at my statement as being a truth or a falsehood?

Ou Be Low hoo
I got there first, finti - so, nuhhhhhh-nuhhhhhhhhhh-ne-nuhhhhhhhhhhhhh-nuhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ou Be Low hoo
Either/or works for me...

finti
combine the last posts and you figure it out

Philosophicus
That's no way of getting out of it. Was I talking truth or crap?

Ou Be Low hoo
I'm laughing at the quixotic truthfulness of it's falsehood.

Do you think you were being truthful or false?

Ou Be Low hoo
Poor ol' Philo...

Can't seem to confirm or deny the validity of his own observations...

Philosophicus
I was being truthful

Ou Be Low hoo
Ha ha ha...That's funny.

Philosophicus
No, I'm joking!

Ou Be Low hoo
Ha ha ha...That's funny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.