Should police be allowed to carry guns???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Goldensky
with the serge of gun crime in england.. gun related crime is rife. Is it time to we gave the right to the old bill to also carry guns?? would it make you feel safer? would it deter gun crime? or do you think that the police would abuse it? and it would also intimidate the general public!? lets have your opnion's? would be nice to hear the thoughts of people from different countrys who already have this in affect in place

SlipknoT
I hate cops, they should only be allowed to carry Moldy Bannanas

WindDancer
I dunno much about the police in England. But here in LA the pigs love to abuse their authority. LAPD is a total joke. But they do need to carry guns with them.

Goldensky
would you say its more important for cops in america cos guns are legal

SlipknoT
Guns are illegal in England?

Goldensky
yes guns are absolte illegal if u get cought even looking at one is game over

WindDancer
From what I understand firearms are illegal in England. Unless you're a hunter.

Hard to say, but cops that work in high crime areas need to carry a gun.

Goldensky
yea totaly.. mabe the needfor cops and guns aint the important at the moment but it will be because while the crinimal have guns and they dont its them wi

SlipknoT
Wow, what about switchblades?

ash007
well thats why we have a special police task force called SO19 who carry guns.

I mean if majority of criminals carried guns i would agree. But at the moment its a small amount.

Afro Cheese
I think it's crazy that England's cops don't have guns in the first place.. if crime in England is anything like here in America that's pretty damn crazy. If I was a cop I would refuse to work without a gun. No way in hell would I bust into some crack dealer's house without a gun.

eggmayo
You mean butterfly knives?

KidRock

WindDancer
Let's keep ANY personal comments towards others out of this thread.

Imperial_Samura
Its a tricky thing. Its would be nice to think that the police don't need guns, and that crims could be caught without the risk of anyone dying, but in reality I think it is important that, if the situation arises where the public and themselves are at risk they can adequately defend themselves. Of course, once this starts things can get messy. Like in Australia. If a police officer shoots some guy, who is attacking him with a meat cleaver, then there is always a degree of public outrage, normally an inquiry etc.... why? As a lot of people like to think a policeman doesn't need guns and should be able to capture crims without the risk of anybody dying...

Draco69
Of course police need guns! Drug lords, mafia, gang bangers, the russian mob, etc. They all carry guns. What are police gonna defend themselves with? Pixie sticks?! Criminals carry guns. Police need guns to counteract them.

MC Mike
Tazer guns, the new kind like in "Meet the Fockers" are advancing very quickly. A much safer alternative.

Draco69
What the heck are tazer guns gonna do against a Russian mob thug with an M-16?

Afro Cheese
Yeah.. come on.. tazer gun? Much safer for the criminal maybe. But when the drug dealer pulls out an Uzi you're pretty much ****ed. And innocent civilians around the incident will most likely be killed too. Unfortunately.. in the real world.. police need guns.

Dazzler619
Police need to use guns for self defense you know

SlipknoT
I say we kill the police

Tptmanno1
Ah the police.
Yes as long as the US makes guns legal, than the US should have armed cops.
But Cops are a nessasary evil, You give someone that much power and its bound to corrupt in some ways....

BackFire
Yes, it's absolutely necessary for cops to be armed with a gun. I they are forced to face people who may themselves have firearms then they must be prepared to counter said firearms with their own.

finti
cops in Norway doesnt wear guns and per capita Oslo has the highest crime rate in Europe. So yes cops should be armed

KidRock
I think cops should carry better guns..to many A*sholes in this world. I can name of a few right now :rollseyes roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
Police should not only be obligated to carry guns, they should be allowed to use them. Police in america only carry guns for show. If a cop does end up using thier gun, they have to go through weeks of court and go infront of a review board. If they actually kill someone, they go through court for months. Oh yeah and the court costs come from their pocket. Cops have less rights than the criminals. Bounty hunters have more rights than cops, what kind of shit is that?

Cops should be outfited with fully automatic rifles just like the German police. German police get repspected, why dont american police? Oh yeah, thats because the poletzie are allowed to fu.ck you up. Police are underpayed, under respected and over worked. Give them more money, more rights, and more weapons.

Darth Revan
Great idea, let's let the cops beat us up and shoot us over everything. I'm all for it. no expression

Cosmic_Beings
The police sure as hell abuse it here.

ragesRemorse
Wow, you totally missed what i was saying. You are talking like police run the world. Police have very little rights. Like doctors they have to buy insurance incase of being sued. It is like the misconception of doctors. People think doctors are these rich over payed people. When infact most doctors dont make nearly as much money as they should. They are in debt for about the first ten years of their profession and constantly have to buy malpractice insurance. Why do we stigmatize police as always being dirty and abusers of their power? It is because hollywood, and a few instances that get blwon up in the media. Police get treated like complete shit. Cops are ordinary people just like you and me, they think no differently and do a job just you do. Most officers become cops because they want to help people, but end up taking on a bitter perception of the world early on in their career. It is not the cops condeming you to prsion or affording you money in tickets. It is the law, they just uphold it.

The poletzie cary automatic weapons and dont have the same law as excessive force as we do. In germany they can beat you down, or pen fire with very little restraint. They do not beat everyone up and shoot people over nothing. why assume american police woul, if given more rights and weapons?

Aku
No way. We anit bringing guns to the UK, that will increase gun crime anyway coz people will kill cops to get guns. It would just mess up the UK like it has the US

ragesRemorse
How so? Can you not get a gun in the UK if you really wanted one? I mean if people in the UK want guns bad enough to kill cops for them,i am more than certain that those people would have guns.

Guns are not the problem, it is people. Guns are not the problem of gun crimes in the U.S. Saying that guns are the problem is not looking deep enough in the issue. I am not saying that guns are good, but they are no where as bad as people make them out to be.

So you believe if guns were standard issue for all police in the UK, that everyone would kill cops for the guns? Sounds like the UK is already messed up then and you have lots of problems. MAybe guns are what needed if people are that blood thirsty for guns.

Df02
i say u stfu and stop making urself look stupid...
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Afro Cheese
Well I agree cops can be abusive of their powers.. I've seen it happen. But they need guns. I live in a semi-high crime area myself and I would much rather have cops with guns than gangbangers with guns walking around my neighborhood. For the most part cops do piss me off.. but crack dealers piss me off more.

Napalm
Yes police she be armed

SlipknoT
But so many would abuse thier power.

Aku
Nah I say that guns are generally bad news. Anyone who has seen bowling for columbine obviosly would agree. And to answer your question we dont have gun shops in the UK and if we do, its not as accessible as they are in the US.

No one wants to kill the cops no more then they wanna kill anyone else.

(Then again I wouldnt put it past SlipKnot)

SlipknoT
Let me guess, Your a cop, or your related to a cop?

Afro Cheese
The world would be a better place without guns, just like the world would be a better place without disease. It's just a fantasy though. Even if you do outlaw guns, then the only people who will have them are criminals. They already break the laws to get guns they aren't permitted to have, what makes you think any law's gonna change that? Unfortunately life isn't all rainbows and butterflies.. criminals are going to have guns no matter what, therefore in order to effectively do their job, cops do need guns. I don't really know you're situation in England.. I doubt you have as much crime as us so maybe your cops don't need guns as much.. but I bet the streets of England would be safer if they did.

Aku
Have you tried ecstacy before?

42Bardock
I think the Police should have Guns, why would they abuse it? I mean if they had other weapon s like clubs or whatever you cal that they can abuse that too. I think the police is there tio protect us and uphold the laws the m<ajority of people agrees on. We should respect Police officers and they should be allowed to carry guns and use them, in special situations for self defence as well as to help citizens.

Aku
Police are not crime preventers anymore. They are crime detectives. If you get mugged on the street theres not gonna be a cop on the end of your road to stop anyone like in the old days. They just wait and see if they can afford to take care of it. Cops with guns is a bad idea, if they dont abuse it then some criminal will kill a cop and then abuse it so guns should not be given to Police.

42Bardock
Oh well a criminal can get a gun easier than killing a cop, which at least in my countrY is a really bad idea

Afro Cheese
Police do prevent crime.. just because they aren't there everytime someone gets mugged doesn't mean they don't prevent crime. If theres a shootout at a house with hostages involved.. how do the police take action without guns? That's just stupid. Running toawrds armed thugs with a tazer gun.

ragesRemorse
Of course anyone who possesed the very same mind set of micheal moore that is.

SaTsuJiN
Police go into dangerous situations on a daily basis, so I believe they have the right to defend their lives... yes they should be allowed to carry guns.

Fire
Well in belgium crime rate isn't that high, let alone gun related crimes. Yet cops around here carry guns, nobody questions it. I for one have never encountered cops abusing their power but I guess there are some like in every country.

Df02
nope, just think ur being stupid

Ushgarak
There is absolutely no indication that a generic arming of police in the UK would do anything to help them fight crime, and plenty that it reduces their ability fo form proper community liasion.

So long as there is no direct need for a wholesale arming of police in this couintry, it would be insane to do so.

Our police are gun armed only when it is necessary, and furthermore, by so restricting our gun use, the squads trained to do so are far more highly trained than the average gun-wielding cop in other countries, and the mis-use of such firearms is therefore massively reduced.

That our policemen don't need to be armed is still a point of pride in the UK. I think it is very difficult to quite get across just how much more rare gun crime is in Europe than in the States. There is nothing we actually need to match with such an policy.

As a point of reference, it is handguns that are illegal in the UK (beyond those things that are obviously illegal everywhere, like fully automatic assault rifles etc.). There is a shotgun in the cupboard downstairs where I live, though the amount of precautions my Dad has to go through to keep it are immense (it is for target shooting, btw).

Stealth Agent
Police need guns for there own personal safety and without them the criminals may not be as intimidated and there would be more crime.

Draco69
Britain may not need armed cops but America certainly does. Especially in high crime areas like New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles. Criminals use guns. Tazers or stun guns are not going work against them. Say we have a hostage situation and a madman is holding someone at gun point. What do the police do? Tazers aren't going to do anything. Sniper rifles are going to fix the problem. America has terrorists walking around our nations. We need guns.

And please stop disrespecting the police everyone. Over 300 cops willingly gave their lives to save helpless people in the Twin Towers. They are heroes. You may hate cops, but you sure as hell are happy to see them when you need them.

AdventChild
i believe in police having guns in every way....

baracustastic
In a country where everyone can own a gun then of course the Police should have guns too.

Scotland, thankfully, does not share America's gun obsession. So your average person doesn't own a gun. As a result ordinary policemen should not carry guns.

Draco69
Scotland does have a low crime rate. Guns are unnecessary.

America has a very high crime rate (i.e major cities). Guns are necessary.

I'm probably gonna study abroad in Scotland. Either that or Britain.

AdventChild
To bad america isn't like scottland... In crime sense any way

Draco69
It'll never happen. Our government system and Constitution doesn't allow it. It certainly would be nice though. But I live in the surburbs so I'm pretty safe. Crime wise that is.

baracustastic
America is bizarre. Mentalist, definitely mentalist.

Draco69
America saves everybody asses and gets no thanks.

Aku
Ok then say you've been mugged, phone the police, they have a look around, nothing is solved in the end. Hence no crime is prevented.

Second scenario, you get mugged, criminal runs and theres a cop at the end of the street. Cop stops the guy, gives you back your wallet or whatever, gives the criminal a warning. Crime prevented.

Draco69
Aku, your point is?

Aku
That theres no point in a police force if no crime is prevented. Hence guns will do nothing if not worsen the situation due to more murders and more intimidation crimes.

Aku
Is NOT prevented* embarrasment

Liquidice
I do believe that police shud be allowed to carry guns but you ****ing americans always go to far.

Aku
Wo wo wo liquid, I mean I hate Americans too but this is a sensitive subject!

Liquidice
at least someone agrees, its ok for them to take the piss out of us but whree discriminating doing it to them.... bullshit. they need to get a grip on reality

Aku
Holy Cow, you need help dude.

Liquidice
that dont worry man im not insane or owt, just though id make a point.

Julie
the cops here (America) have guns and it hasn't really deterred guns, but I sure as heck know that if I were a cop I'd feel a whole lot better carrying my pop gun than nothing at all

Liquidice
true

Afro Cheese
lol @ "I hate Americans too but this is a sensitive subject"

How do you hate someone in a sensitive way?

KidRock
and I hate all Brits. You think your little BOBBYS with sticks can prevent crimes? Of course not. If there was a guy being mugged in london and a cop came by the mugger could just beat and kill the cop with a knife. IF we were in America the cop could just pull his gun and make the mugger drop w/e weapon he has. I think cops do need guns becuase there are idiots out there who carry guns, so why shouldnt the police have them?

ragesRemorse
Shouldnt ask, but im curious, why do you hate Americans. I mean somthing really bad must have happend to you, to hate an entire nation of people. Why do you hate me?

ragesRemorse
i think english police are cool. I mean they get to wear those gay little hats. anyone that can wear a gay hat like that and still portray a sense of authority has to be cool.

Liquidice
i find americans amusing because they like to be incontrol like to think that they are better than people, and you 2 rejects are a perfect example why people dislike you and your nation. I like the way you amercians percieve us brits as drinking tea all day and talking really posh where really you havent got a clue, a perfect leader for a less than pefect nation.

Aku
Backstabbing them. Lol. Theres a famous quote which says..."there are daggers behind mens smiles" remember that coz its true.

Also remember there are anti-tank guns behind womens.

Aku
Ok to answer the many questions.

Kid Rock - I think that english police are useless, thats the point of this thread isnt it?

Remorse - I don't hate americans I just hate the way the way america is run, how it is (generalization) the same as england only bigger.

And about american police, I don't know if that donut stuff is true but its in virtually every film ever!

Jackie Malfoy
For protection yes but not for shoting people inleast acouse they have too.After they give out a warning they can shot but not aim at that person.
But something in some cases it is needed.JM

Afro Cheese
Hold on.. you dislike the way Americans stereotype Britains, yet you're obviously fine with stereotyping Americans? "They think they're better than us..they like to be in control." By expressing negative opinions about Americans that shows quite clearly that you think you're better than us. Hypocritical bullshit..

Afro Cheese
Ok well word it better next time. Me saying "I hate the way Mexico is run" would most likely not offend anyone.. but if I was to say "I hate Mexicans" then we've got a completely different situation. By the way that's just an example.. I don't hate Mexicans and I don't know anything about their government.

KidRock
Brits have dirty teeth in every film i see.. is it true?

Liquidice
is it true that all americans are fat???? and are totally over the top when speaking!!!! you americans are too prude, janet jackson flashes some flesh and its the end of the world!!! oh my god!!! -pathetic

and to the hypocritical bullshit??? its what the whole world thinks of you. tony blair may kiss bushes arse but doesnt mean we feel the same, and to be honest i do think where better than you... but then who isnt?

Afro Cheese
So if you think your better than us and you stereotype us because "the whole world" does, than you're just as ignorant as Americans who stereotype Brits as tea drinking pansies. It's the same exact thing.

ragesRemorse
Wow, do you have any clue how ignorant and presumptious you are being? Here is a news flash buddy stereotypes follow all walks of life. You assume and are basically putting words into my mouth by saying that "all you americans" percives us brits as tea drinking, posh talking people. I have never thought of british people in that way, well untill i watched english comedy films where they basically stereotype you as british people as tea drinking people who eat crumpets. I mean i see more english media giving themselves that tea drinking posh speaking stereo type than any other nation. It is the same way you stereotype americans as being mindless machines to a goverment, and also a nation that welcomes violence, and wants to run the world. If you actually bothered to think outside of your narrow box of a mind, you would realize we are not Americans, we are not british, we are not chinese. we are all people who want the same things, but are just bond by different morals and standards. I happen to live here and you happen to live there.

Aku
Yeh. Why got a problem cause we dont brush our teeth with real american colgate? huh? huh!?

Yo chill dude. Theres no difference between America and Birtain, only Britain has bad weather and better food.

Capt_Fantastic
Yes, cops should be allowed to carry guns, but not to fire them.

Capt_Fantastic
Better food? Have you ever been there?

pr1983
yes... and some of it is good... dont know if its better though... equal if anything...

ragesRemorse
I have been to England and the food there blows. Nice country, but crappy food.

pr1983
lol... personal taste is different to everyone... both have positives...

SlipknoT
laughing no

Capt_Fantastic
Judging you by what you say, you must be American. You dislike the superior attitude of americans, but you display the same ignorance you accuse us of maintaining. If you want to get techincal, the US could consider themselves justified for having those feelings because the Brits crawl into our lap at every turn of the political corner.

Speaking realistically, America has little trouble living up to the stereotype that you inflict upon us. But, while we are busy buying into the hype fed to us by our leaders about being the greatest nation on the planet, one has to wonder why the stereotype exists? I mean, arrogance is often based in reality.

pr1983
guys guys... please... stop this...

we're all patriotic but please... theres no need to insult each others countries...

Liquidice
im sorry but stringin big words together doesnt make you look clever and the food blows in england?? hahahahaha you are amusing 1 in 4 people in america are obese and our food blows?? most americans are fat lazy and the proof is in the pudding, apparently its us brits that are supposed to be the followers, yet we have the best army in the world and are far more organised military i.e. we dont shoot our own soldiers. and this all comes from a country that has competitions to win a kid?? hahahaha and this goes past patriotic as you dont know your arse from your elbow.

Capt_Fantastic
Really? You thought I was using big words? Hum... Interesting. Before you go off on some tangent about how great I think America is, you should know that I spend a majority of my time arguing against our policy and politics. I'd simply like to point out that you should be angry that your country crawls into our political lap at the drop of a hat. Not onlt that, but you'd be the smallest province in the german empire right now if it weren't for us. Not that the past should matter to you. Or the future.

Liquidice
i was bin sarcastic, being 'mono sylibbic' doesnt make you look good either, and stop being so judgemental calling me american is insulting, i think id rather live in africa than america at the mo. they are all dieing of aids and there still safer than you. koreas on the list next for bush??? dont expect back up for your thick soldiers this time.

Capt_Fantastic
sorry, you posted while I was editing...

Liquidice
hahahah we were already demolishing the germans before you and your...... so called professional soldiers came in bombed everything went home and decided that it was you that won the war. you only joined in because of pearl harbour and your supposed to be loyal allies?? i wouldnt trust an american as far as i could throw one, which judging by there size isnt very far. and beleive me its the prime minister who sucks bushes penis not britain, we hate the way blair kisses bushes ass but unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it we have to bite our tongue and watch bush think hes the greatest. in honesty i cant wait til you wage war on korea then it will prob wake your goverment up and make them realise tat they arnt as big and good as they think they are.

Capt_Fantastic
LOL! Demolishing! I suggest you learn your own history before you step up to the table with facts that you made up. Yes, we joined the war activly because we were attacked by the Japanese, however...we were shipping supplies to Europe for the allies for a while before then.

Sure there's something you can do about Blair. Vote him out in the next election. You should have done the same in the last election. BUT! So should we have with Bush. Follow the money trail and you'll find out why these two hated men are still in office. You also have to understand that the majority of people in both countries are mindless sheep. At least Blair doesn't invoke the name of god every other minute to scare people...but I assume that religion isn't a staple of existence in the UK like it is here.

On top of that you just said that your leader isn't representative of the people of your nation. Well, nor is Bush representative of all Americans.

And the professional soldiers you speak of were hardly professional. They were kids. Kids who gave their lives for your freedom.

Liquidice
i agree with middle paragraph, good point.

but dont patronise me with the last para. trust me i know what people in the world wars gave up , ive bin across europe seeing what they did for me, and trust me i pay full respect to them.

Oh thanks for the food, thats how america helped britain win world war 2. get real we were fighting 4 years before you fully joined in, giving us supplies hardy makes up for the thousands of soldiers lost on the battlefields, and WE were destroying the germans, hitler was panicking and the japs saw an oppourtunity on you and took it thats when you thought ok we'll help the brits fully now. and you are right religion isnt as improtant in britain cos theres so many ****ing immigrants.

Liquidice
and no shit, your bday is a day after mine.

Afro Cheese
How does 1 in 4 Americans being obese indicate that our food sucks? It actually would indicate the opposite, that our food is really good since people can't seem to stop eating it. I don't think that's the reason for obesity in America, just saying. And most Americans aren't lazy and obese, we just have a larger percentage of obese people than other countries. That doesn't mean that the majority of the people here are fat.

Capt_Fantastic
What does that have to do with anyting? Or were you not speaking to me?

Capt_Fantastic
you started fighting the war in 1939, America joined in '41. Hell, the war was only six years long. if you fought it for four years before we got "fully" involved, then the war apparently wrapped up pretty soon after we got involved.

And yeah, the supplies were the least of our efforts for the British. But, your relatives had to eat something, besides german long rang missiles.

pr1983
oh jeez...

fact is ww2 was a long time ago, america deserves credit, as does europe, its not like europeans sat on their asses and did nothing. while we all appreciate american intervention, the victory was not solely theirs.

Capt_Fantastic
come on pr, you'll never hear me say that America won the war. Thats the kind of political rhetoric that Bush would want people to buy into. But this guy has made it a point to call all americans fat and lazy...I take offense at that implication. The worst part of our argument is that he and I would likely agree on most issues, but he has muddied the waters by saying that all americans suck because of the policies of our government.

pr1983
i agree 100% with u capt... i know for a fact there are bad and good americans, like any other country, we all have bad apples. but i just really don't like the 'we'd be german if not for america' shit... that really annoys me.

Capt_Fantastic
well, it was only meant to get under his skin...it was a line from A Fish Called Wanda

pr1983
love that movie...

and i know u only meant it towards him... i was just making sure embarrasment

Liquidice
and it really worked........................................not

And you too are commenting on a country you know little about (england) So wouldnt that make you the hypocrit now? yes i believe it would, your just repeating yourself over and over again. do you actually think im guna sit bk when your implying that england are inferior??? *Yawn*

Goldensky
sorry but, how small is england no in fact great britian!!!! were not even as big as a most states in america... but yet for such a small country we stood against against a country that had already took over and accupied most of europe... we also was the last nown empire to own 2 3rds of the world and that was only in the last 100 yr. not too shabby for little old england eh????????

Goldensky
Plus if I'm right in thinking most Americans are British immigrants that fled england to American... sooo that would make you a English descend, our army then and now is widely regarded as the most well trained in the world!!! your best reckon and assault team is the delta force!! the delta force came about when a one of Americas BEST soldiers trained with the SAS he finished the training course and came AVERAGE scores on everything!! he then went back to America and said the SAS training is by far the toughest he had ever encountered.. he then got a state grant allowing him to create a crack team of specialists based on the SAS which is now called the DELTA FORCE.. in the Iraq invasion america called on the SAS to lead the assault because there experience and expertise were greater than that of the americans. And that is fact cheack it out your self

Aku
SAS rock, but same with Seal Teams aswell. True about the states being bigger but they probably have more police stations and stuff.

Goldensky
I understand that the voice of bush does not echo that of most of the American people! but still hes leading the world into a very dark and unknown place... why did the American people vote for him, if the don't agree with him!!! hes very dangerous man, the views of America the country should in some way echo the voices of the American people, is that not why they call America a democracy

dean7879
everyone should chill out
america and britain are suppose to be allies
no one is gonna win these arguments
every country have bad and good points
if we wanna bad mouth countrys..lets bad mouth france..lets work together shall we...eh?

Aku
Dissing France is so 5 years ago though. We should really diss Portugal just because its in such a stupid place globally.

Goldensky
yea sounds good, even the i find the dutch easier

Aku
Scandinavians! Coz they dont do anything.

Goldensky
yea they just pretty much sit there!! italy cos they all smell and eat pizza all day(not like theres owt wrong wiv thAT--

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.