The Writer's Outlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BOPRecruit 16
Hey Everyone,

I finally decided to post a thread where people whom are writers could come together to chat, get to know other writers, and as well as pick up a few tips for their writing style and whatever else they need help with in order to get parts of their story under way. As for the title of this thread, I got it and the idea for it from a blogring at Xanga by the same name. I joined it because I thought it would be nice to get know other writer's, ask questions, and get useful information to plot into my stories. Especially, for my original pieces that are to appear at Fictionpress.com and hopefully one fine day, get them published! Well, enjoy this thread, fellow writer's!

See You Around,

Sodapop Allerdyce (that's my pen name)

~Air Angel~
Hey....I never asked u before...... why sodapop allerdyce??? are u going to publish with that name?

BOPRecruit 16
i choose that pen name ages ago. mostly for when i post stuff at ff.net and fp.com. i got sodapop from this character i liked in the outsiders book and movie by s.e. hinton called "the outsiders". ever heard or read it? as for allerdyce, got that when i was a huge x2 fan and one of my faves were pyro, aka john allerdyce. liked the two characters. suited me and so i put them together. i highly doubt that i'll ever publish under that name. also, if i even tried to, it would'n't fly with the publisher and all. but i'm not sure...what do you think? also, what's your official pen name that you use online and/or off?

shockimebones
I'm a writer. I'm currently planning a series of novels that will be more successful than even Harry Potter. Give it time, and you'll see...

BOPRecruit 16
shockinmebones: so what's your pen name and what's your story about, if you would like to give people a quick sneak peek like synopsis?

ARC Trooper 117
Pen name, eh?
Uh....Eikinskjaldi!
Thus far I haven't "published" anyhting....but I WILL.....stick out tongue

themightythor
I am currently planning on writing a book chock full of poetry by yours truly. Mostly Free verse and perhaps a few sonnets here and there.

BOPRecruit 16
arc trooper 117: what does your pen name mean or is that some random word that you made up? stick out tongue laughing

themightythor: i write poetry as well. but i'm not quite sure if i want to publish a collection of them once i get enough to fill a book. so, what sort of poems do you write, as in dark or happy themes, that sort?

Jackie Malfoy
Mined is going to be Jade Stone I love that name!So what kind of books does everyone like to write?I like writting faction I am also writting right now about a cult I was once in.
That is going to be nonfaction!JM

~Air Angel~
I'd probably publish under my own name, I dont want to be an anonymous writer....ya know...... maybe I'll use a combo of initials or something............. I'd have to see.........

ARC Trooper 117
Eikinskjaldi = Old Norse, "of the Oakenshield".
LOL, I'd probably just use my own name too...... wink

themightythor
For the most part I write dark poetry. I'm not really depressed or anything it just seems easier to write than more light hearted themes.

BOPRecruit 16
Is that your real name and if not, where or how did you come up with it? sounds cool to me as well thumb up do you mean 'fiction' and if not, what's 'faction'? blink a cult?! laughing what sort of cult? *sorry, so many questions! >,< lol*

BOPRecruit 16
That's a good thing. As for me, I doubt that I would want to use my real name. I'll try to come up with some cool name that suits me. Also, I don't really like my real name all that much!

BOPRecruit 16
That's a cool name, Arc, but I don't think you could use that since that phrase is linked with J.R.R. Tolkien material and all. Besides, I think most publishers make people use normal names. Not sure about that, but it would be cool if you could make up any wacky thing you wanted! Like say, username and aim sn's styles and so forth!

BOPRecruit 16
i can so totally back you up on that! i can just never think happy thoughts when i write my poetry. darker themes just seeem easier and come more naturally.

ARC Trooper 117

BOPRecruit 16
Really? I love french names, but...You sure you want to use that one? stick out tongue laughing If you would like to find some more French boy names, there's this great site I know that has the names and what they mean. The site is called "Baby Name World" or something like that...

ARC Trooper 117
No! Wait! I've got it!:
Muhammed Ackbar eek!

BOPRecruit 16
laughing No, I don't think so...stick out tongue Then again, whatever floats your boat...big grin laughing

ARC Trooper 117
Muhammed = I've got a good friend named Muhammed, and I deeply respect the Muslim religion. big grin
Ackbar = The name of one of my favourite Star Wars characters. stick out tongue

BOPRecruit 16
Alright, that's a nice way to pay homeage to your pal. As for Ackbar, which character was he in Star Wars?

ARC Trooper 117
The fishy Admiral from Return of the JEdi. stick out tongue
Plus, Ackbar is a Muslim/PErsian name as well....
AND, Admiral is derived from the Persian Amir al-bahr (sp?), meaning "King of the Sea". big grin

BOPRecruit 16
Well, forgive me for not being a Star Wars geek like you are! stick out tongue *humph* laughing

ARC Trooper 117
stick out tongue
Captain REX: Pyronecrobeastiality - Having sex with a burning dead animal.

BOPRecruit 16
what the f-in'?! What the f**k? sick ew...groutie, man! *shiver* get back on topic and keep it clean, dude sick

ARC Trooper 117
Click the link....evil face

BOPRecruit 16
you can't tell me what to do and i won't do it! i refuse! stick out tongue laughing

so anyone else out there, besides arc, have anything interesting to share other than this crack head perv? stick out tongue laughing

ARC Trooper 117
No, my pen name would be Fidel....McMahon!

BOPRecruit 16
fidel *snicker* made me think 'fedul' as in the baby fedul or however you spell it! laughing sorry, i drank some coke, so i'm wacky right now...he he he...lol the last name there is cool. i know it from this actor named julian mcmahon who was in charmed and is dr. doom in the upcoming fantastic four movie. as for my pen name, i would go for something that matches my nationality or something that kind of sounds vampireish or something like that...*shrugs*

BOPRecruit 16
does anyone know how much royalties cost when you want to use an existing quote from a book, movie and so forth?

Lyra Rose
i love writing and have been since i was 8. i have finished almost ten books and im trying to get one puplished. smile

BOPRecruit 16
Lyra Rose: Do you happen to have an author's website of some sort so that I could check out your books and see what they are about?

Lyra Rose
i dont have a site yet but i could email u some of my story

Madison
Royalties vary depending on where you got the quote from if it is a big company they might take as much as they possibly could to make sure you never do it again

Lyra Rose
most companies dont do that, only the ones who are selfish

Maylien
Actually i agree with Madison must companies do that

BOPRecruit 16
Lyra Rose: or you could just email me the synopsis of them. if you would like to.

Madison: One person from xanga told me it depends on the word count. Like, if it's under two sentences or something, you're good. But, she wasn't sure and not to quote her on that and all. *Shrugs* Glory, I pray to God that royalities don't cost much for I really would love to use alot of them! >,<

Lyra Rose
seems maylien needs to do more research

BOPRecuit 16 i'll email the story im writing now i could do with some ideas i have a bit of a block. if u want its not that long and it is hard to explain

Lyra Rose
or i may start a new tread so i can get Opinions from every one

Maylien
lyra rose i did do research and thats what came up obviously different people have different inofmation

Lyra Rose
yes but u have to make sure the infor is reliable.

Maylien
as far as i know it was relable but that was only one persons experience

Lyra Rose
id rather find my information out from an agent or a puplisher

BOPRecruit 16
same here. just gotta find one that's close by and accessible when i need to chat. don't know of any nearby middle callie.

as for your story, you can find my email addie in my kmc profile or check out my xanga site, the link is in my kmc pro also.

Lyra Rose
i will

BOPRecruit 16
has anyone here has ever gotten any of their songs and/or poems published or wants to? like in a book collection and what not? as for myself, i'm going to eventually once i got enough done and on fictionpress.com. i keep debating weather to send in my songs or not to famous artists and stuff like that. just can't decide.

Elessea
Originally posted by themightythor
For the most part I write dark poetry. I'm not really depressed or anything it just seems easier to write than more light hearted themes.
I totally agree...I write mostly dark/depressing stuff too...and its annoying when people constantly think I'm depressed because of it yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.