The Future of DVD?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeNiro
what ever it is i aint changing my dvds to what ever they come out with next unless it is really fuuckin cool

Evil Dead
Next will be smaller dvds..........like the little 3" discs. They will play in your current dvd player but it will allow dvd players to be made smaller thus cheaper.

After that.......probably some sort of info. storing device........like memory sticks or something. I can't see these taking off though because they would cost more to produce than dvds do. The players would also have to be fitted with hard drives to read the info. on the memory stick....ofcourse making them more expensive.

I think dvds are here to stay for atleast the next 25 years..........they may be made smaller as I mentioned but the actual format will still be here. Who knows what will be after that. 25 years ago people were still watching Beta Max, VHS was the new technological breakthrough......people would have never dreamed of personal computers, MP3s, compact discs, dvds,etc.

SlipknoT
The dvd will be around for more than 12 years

BackFire
I wouldn't bet on that.

SlipknoT
I think it has at least 20 years

Beastro
Pretty soon we'll have little micro chips that we put into little machine that fit into the palm of are hand.You turn it on and a hologram will appear and youll have your movie :shock:

BackFire
That would be nice... but there's already formats that exist that are "supperior" to dvd. Smaller discs and such. They won't hit mainstream for quite a while, but 20 years is a big long.

Cinemaddiction
I wish that were true. There's just a natural progression. Like Beta to VHS, Laserdisc to DVD, then after the whole HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD formats come and go, there'll be something totally out of this world in home entertainment.

The thing is, as obsolete as VHS are, they are still made for newer movies. People still own laserdiscs, too. Availability is the issue, and will be the same problem for current DVD's in about 10 years.

Beastro
I still think theres gonna be microchips.

SlipknoT
confused1 I didnt make this thread? But it might not have 20 years but it still has a little while

Machete_Guy
Super VHS might come into fassion or something.

Cinemaddiction
There's already D-VHS, with a high definition transfer. It's limited to very few movies, and cost twice as much as an average DVD.

Snipes
beta kicked ass.

i love the beta max. on the beta i watched my first ever horror movie

Snipes
does anyone still own a beta max?

i do, with the remote with a cord attached. nice silver casing on the system and a whole 10 bete videos.

friday the 13th part 3
nightmare on elm street-dream warriors
survive( i think its called that, its about an airplane that crashes in the snow, and they start eating each other)
and the rest of the movies i forget the names off, but i had some comedys.

SlipknoT
I really dont want to replace my dvd collection any time soon

tabby999
nor do i, i wont untill it is completly outdated

Red Superfly
God, most people are sick of re-buying their VHS videos on DVD. It's going to get REALLY annoying when everyone's favourite collections become obsolete every so often.

Yeah, natural progression yada yada yada - but at what cost? This natural progression could in fact send more and more people down the piracy route.

Think about it, would you continually buy the latest version of a movie, despite owning a legal copy, possible even a couple? Wouldn't you get tired of constantly updating and paying 3X plus, for essentially the same movie? Over and over again?

I know which route I'd prefer............

WindDancer
When DVD's sale for about $3 on store it kinda hints you that DVD most likely will fade in the next 5 years.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea I argee that it would be round but it will be geting very small.Smaller then it is.Like the other stuff that keeps geting thinner or smaller by the second!JM

Napalm
Im gonna be so ***** off when I have to replace my dvds

shangheid
Me to...

JKozzy
I don't see DVD lasting for much longer... like WD said, maybe 5 years tops, but the blu-laser and HD-DVD will be out very soon, and will be making their way into homes. Techys will get them, and people will eventually get into it, just as it was with VHS and DVD.

MildPossession
I think people will keep buying dvds for a lot longer than 5 years, people have only just started to get use to VCRs lol, and now DVD players, think it will take a lot for the majority of the world to go onto something new just after collecting dvds and getting use to them.

I know loads of people who haven't even moved onto dvds yet.

Dr. Strangelove
I agree with MildPossession.

You also have to remember that the leap from VHS to DVD was a huge improvement in every way as video, audio improved drastically and extras, menus, commentaries etc were very new to most of the public. From what I've read the leap from DVD to HD-DVD, blue-ray etc will improve the picture, audio and more storage for extras. While there will be improvements, I don't think HD-DVD, blue-ray will come with as much fan fare as DVD's did so I think it will take a lot longer than 5 years to replace DVD's.

SlipknoT
I'll be about $2,500 in the hole

Red Superfly
I'm hoping blue-ray takes off.

If blue-ray takes off then we can keep our DVD's that we already have, basically. Blue-ray players are just an enhanced DVD, meaning blue-ray players will be able to play the DVD's we have now, they are backwards compatable.

If HD-DVD takes off, we're buggered. Means re-buying everything again.

SlipknoT
Aw crap.

Wolfie
I'm not sure about the smaller disc theory. Look at CDs, they've been around for a while and no one has been considering making something different (remembering MIB joke). I sure hope DVDs last as long as they can. I do not wanna re-buy my collection.

MildPossession
"If blue-ray takes off then we can keep our DVD's that we already have, basically. Blue-ray players are just an enhanced DVD, meaning blue-ray players will be able to play the DVD's we have now, they are backwards compatable."

Thank god, if it is the case that Blue Ray gets going more than the other one, then I will not mind as much.

shugie99
I think the DVD is a great format for viewing, although the MPAA is really cracking down on DVD piracy. They have been raiding factories in Asia that manufacture fake DVD's. Whatever we see next I imagine it will be more difficult to pirate.

Leggy_n_Merry
Yeah I suppose..... but I agree with Wolfie and other people too lol can't be bothered to name all. What Wolfie said about the CD thing...yup that's true but also there's mini discs and all that and ipods yet people still buy CDs so people will probably still buy DVDs if anything else comes out...

MildPossession
Nothing at all wrong with that.

Leggy_n_Merry
Yeah I hope that's what happens coz there's loads of people who buy LOOADS of pirate DVDs and it's not fair coz I LOVE films and want to watch loads and buy laods but that means I have to save up and stuff and then the other people just get loads for free sad and plus I don't even like pirates coz 1. They don't have the proper cover (that annoys me...they have to look nice big grin) 2. They don't have the menu and all that and 3. Some of them are rubbish quality.

MildPossession
And they are never a 100% quality.

shugie99
Good point. I agree that its worth it to have the real thing. It will be interesting to see what impact all this action the MPAA is taking will have on the industry.

tabby999
you dont have to replae them, its all down to choise. i'll be stoaked when all the dvds drop drematicly in price, i can fially buy all the movies i want without going into hock to do so. but then again, they wont release the newest movies on dvd. like i said, personal choise i guess

Londonboy7
MP3DVD I mean think thats how music is going (digital) and movies often take from music, (casestes?, CDs)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.