Do you believe that god gave us Free Will?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
According to a friend.God had gave us free will so we can make up our own mistakes and do what ever we want.Do you think this is true or fake?JM

Arena Host
Do you mean "make up our own" or "make our own".

I would say fake to both. Humans already define what they think is a mistake. Freedom means :Not controlled by obligation or the will of another. Will means: to choose a course of action.
You have freedom to choose a course of action, but you do not always have the freedom to do it. (Example: I would like to fly without the use of the airplane, but gravity stops me from doing this.)

Arena Host
Great, I accidentally hit "Submit Reply" and spent more than fifteen minuets before editing my post. Here it is revised.-

Do you mean "make up our own" or "make our own".

I would say fake to both. Humans already define what they think is a mistake. Freedom means :Not controlled by obligation or the will of another. Will means: to choose a course of action.
You have freedom to choose a course of action, but you do not always have the freedom to do it. (Example: I would like to fly without the use of the airplane, but gravity stops me from doing this.)
(I once wrote on one message board that if you did not have freedom with your will that you would would not have a will at all. If you could not choose, there would be no choices for you.)

Question: Do you believe that God gave us a Free Will?
My answer: If we were actually created by your god or a god, I would say yes.]

Storm
Do you attribute providence to god?

big gay kirk
according to my faith, we have no control over the moment of our birth, or our death, but we are free to choose the way we travel between them... and this applies to our gods as well... no one gave us free will... its just the way it is....

Jackie Malfoy
What faith do you follow kirk?JM

Fire
a question noone can really answer. However since I don't believe in God I don't think he gave us free will

big gay kirk
I follow the gods of my forefathers....(and yes, having four fathers did make family life complicated...); that is, the Norse gods... Thor especially.... and being a poet, Bragi....

Storm

DuronKiller
did god harden his heart? i suppose that aint right....

big gay kirk
You must always remember that the Judaeo Christian god never pretended at any time to be a "God for everyone..." he was, first and foremost, the god of the Hebrews, and his aim was to make them the dominant world power... in the very beginning, not even the hebrews believed that this god, Jehovah, was the same as the creator....

eleveninches
If we had free will, then that would mean that he would not know what we are going to do, and that would mean that he is not truely all knowing. That would mean that he is not divine and therefore not really a god.

big gay kirk
not really.... the choice would be yours but he would know in advance which way you were going to choose.... that doesn't mean your choice was predetermined, just pre-known....

finti
what kind of free will would that be then

Bardock42
I don'T belive in god giving us anything and my definition of free will would prette much be Henri Bergsons, a kind of Closed will not all that free.

big gay kirk
to be honest, i'm glad we have no omniscient gods.... they're just a pain in the posterior....

Bardock42
Yeah they are just annoying I like My not all that free will you know

WindDancer
I like to think so....yeah God gave us free will. If there is no sucha thing....well, too bad! I'm wrong and I'm going to die. Nothing more.....

Heather 29
Yes I do Believe that god gave us our own free will, also called fre agency. which means the right to choose (to make choices).

bilb
Abosultely He gave us free will. He gave us the ability to choose our path and the information to choose Him. He wants us to choose him, but not because he forced us to. Forced love is not love at all and what God desires is an authentic relationship with each one of us.

As to why God had to 'harden Pharoh's heart', that could be attributed to many things, not the least of which would be improper translation or creative license. God inspired man to write the Bible but is was still man who wrote it. And man makes many mistakes.

Evil Dead
evolution gave us free will. Once we humans advanced enough to begin farming and cultivation, free will was born. No longer were we slaves to the primal instincts of hunting to feed to sustain ourselves.........or slaves to the primal urges of mating to propogate our species. This allowed free time which allowed free thoughts and ideas. Once two ideas were concieved, humans then had a choice between them.

AdventChild
I do belive god gave us free will becuase you can do anything you please even fly without a plane , the thing is we have original sin therfore it has shorten our life so we cant learn to fly, for example that one guy on T.V. who floats.God gave him free will to do that, he didnt say "no you cant float get down".Some people say hes the devils but if so then god gave him free will to be the devil so therfore yes go gave us free will

Evil Dead
oh lord............

David Blaine?...the magician?.....the ILLUSIONist?

leonheartmm
actually if god exists than free will does not exist, thas a fact, however even if god does exist, scientifically, free will still does not exist so..................................................only if your real spiritual can u find a logic to believe in free will

lil bitchiness
This is kind of contradictory because -

God is deamed as all knowing - so he must know everyting, but if he gave us free will, then he cannot know what will happen to us otherwise we dont have a free will - thus he isnt all knowing.

debbiejo
maybe god who is all knowing gave us a free will and loves us inspite of anything we do....that means no punishment, just going back and relearning the lesson.

Evil Dead
I loathe religion.......but I must admit that that would not be a contradiction.

If god is all knowing, that does not take away from an individual's ability to make choices for themself. It merely means that god can see the universe without time, he knows what choices you are going to make in the future. To god it would not be the future as he could see all happenings at once, simultaniously.

I know what choices my wife made yesterday. That does not take away from the fact that she exercised free will in making those choices. Same with a god......except that he would not be bound by present and past.

Adam_PoE
If God knows what you are going to do, you have to do what God knows you will do; predestination.

yerssot
Originally posted by debbiejo
maybe god who is all knowing gave us a free will and loves us inspite of anything we do....that means no punishment, just going back and relearning the lesson.
then why is there a devil and a hell? you die, you say to god you're sorry and he'll forgive you

debbiejo
^ Are you following what Jesus taught, His exact words or what Matthew, Mark, Luke and Johns narratives are saying? OH and Paul.

yerssot
why should you follow them? god'll forgive you wink

debbiejo
I guess in Mi6 HQ they have a devil? What book is it listed in where he tortures you ever?

clickclick
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I loathe religion.......but I must admit that that would not be a contradiction.

If god is all knowing, that does not take away from an individual's ability to make choices for themself. It merely means that god can see the universe without time, he knows what choices you are going to make in the future. To god it would not be the future as he could see all happenings at once, simultaniously.

I know what choices my wife made yesterday. That does not take away from the fact that she exercised free will in making those choices. Same with a god......except that he would not be bound by present and past.

yup

Darth Odious
whether god is all knowing and moves us around like chest pieces or he just sits there and watching planes slam into the twin towers without lifting a finger are to me two sides to the same wicked coin. I known alot of people who have asked for his divine intervention and never got an answer. I had a good friend suffer in silence for years and then eventually killed himself. If I knew what was going on in that mans soul I would have gone in his place. God saw it all and watched him deliberately slam his car into a wall at 100 mph in complete silence. And is a bastard for it. God seem to have difficulty with people with mental problems. I'm not talking about whiny attitutes, I mean deep seated chemical imbalances in the brain that no medications seem to help. He tried as long as he could, harder than any human could, but nobody really believes your suffering unless your bound to a wheelchair. I seen this guy called a liar for his problems. I've seen the light die out of his eyes. I did all I could to understand but it wasn't enough. God is silent bastard of a witness. I hate him with all my soul. If he comes back in human form I'll crucify him myself...after I take his eyes. This a true rage that I'm slowly dealing with. Everyday get a little better but there will be no truce with me and that Coward in the sky. I don't worry about hell. I'm already there.

finti
so you live in France??? big grin

yerssot
I guess in Mi6 HQ they have a devil? What book is it listed in where he tortures you ever?
god? OT and NT

Darth Odious
Originally posted by finti
so you live in France??? big grin That actually makes sense. France IS hell. Whew! I guess I'm allright then, time to dance! Happy Dance

mssharrow
ohhh, so how do you live your life now? How's your life really, if I may just ask, with all of that rage or anger inside of you? huh sad

Darth Odious
Ohhh geee.. I'm fine. I think my anger is understandable when it came to my friend.
He was a good person. God's so called "mysterious ways" are something that will always piss me off.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
According to a friend.God had gave us free will so we can make up our own mistakes and do what ever we want.Do you think this is true or fake?JM

Yes, according to christianity, god gave us free will. Then, he set the rules in opposition. Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow. That's from the Devils Advocate. The only descent part of that movie.

Darth Odious
Exactly right

debbiejo
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Yes, according to christianity, god gave us free will. Then, he set the rules in opposition. Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow. That's from the Devils Advocate. The only descent part of that movie.

But that's true isn't it....I don't think God would be like that...These teaching, besides paganism, are from the Catholic Church to contol us all.

They say...1st. Here is your religion...2nd..Do what this God says...3rd. And by the way..the Pope speaks for God on earth...

Gotta YA!!!

Capt_Fantastic
But that's true isn't it....I don't think God would be like that...These teaching, besides paganism, are from the Catholic Church to contol us all.

They say...1st. Here is your religion...2nd..Do what this God says...3rd. And by the way..the Pope speaks for God on earth...

Gotta YA!!!

Could you clearify what you're saying?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Could you clearify what you're saying?

OK..Supposedly God gave us all these tantalizing things...The look and don't eat stuff..The Beautiful bodies, but don't look stuff....But the more you look into the history of it all..These things were placed in Gods mouth! Different religions messed with the scriptures to be fearful of everything lest we all go to hell. But God gave us all these things...Why would He give us things and say don't touch? Not only did he say don't touch, but I will let you burn for EVER! What kind of a parent is that? Though I did believe all that at one time and really did try to follow all the rules, there comes a time when you know God is bigger than that.
Besides, all the near death experiences from different religions all around the world are seeing the same white tunnel of light! Even atheists see it, but they do return quite different...So, my reasoning is, there is only one God or what ever you want to call Him, and he isn't picking and choosing. Also it really does seem that the scriptures have been tampered with, because of all the contradictions in it...And there are even more writings by Paul, James..etc..that were excluded by the Early Church..ie.Constantine...If they were all included, there would be chaos, because they would contradict the others...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.