the secret to be seen as intelligent, and to be..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

peterKSL
Everyone use the word "smart", "wise", or "intelligent", without really realising what it really is (stereotype people)... This is because they are affected by it after they witness it. In terms of pleasure, envy, and curiousity. (might be more than 3)

And to go to the point, basicly intelligence, wisdom, and smartness, I define as familiarity. If one is smart, intelligent, or wise, one must be familiar in whatever subject that one is (seen as) smart, intelligent or wise in.

This is a very good point I've made, because this will help and benefit everyone greatly by reading this.... I've basicly change the world... cool

peterKSL
The reason I say this is because it is easy to be familiar with something... basicly...
example: reading same word/sentence/paragraph repeatedly.

Draconatus Zero
Good point, But I believe that they are all facets of the same pearl of wisdom. They are just different parts of understanding, which is above and the ultimate goal of intellectual persuit, a search for knowledge, are a quest to be smarter. Being seen as intelligent is nothing compared to understanding. That's my opinion.

KharmaDog

Arena Host
Yahoo! Happy Dance
We need them all in lots of amounts.

peterKSL
understanding and knowledge is under the hierarchy of familiarity.. lol..

Storm
A standard philosophical definition says that wisdom consists of "making the best use of available knowledge."

Intelligence and smartness is a general mental capability that involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn.

peterKSL
and all that can be group under familiarity... thanks storm..^^
You can't reason, and those things you said, if you are not familiar with that particular subject...

"The truth can be define by different levels of familiarity"

that says it all.. isn't it?

brandino
How to be smart USE BIG LOUD WORDS THAT PEOPLE DONT KNOW COME UP WITH SOMEthiNG YOU MAY NOT EVEN KNOW AND ACT LIKE YOU DO CUZ ALOT OF DOLTS WILL THink your smart and then
my friend tried this for a sociology expirement he acted smart and then when he took tests like 8 people around him failed

Darth Revan
You can't be "intelligent" or "smart" in a particular subject. You can have a lot of knowledge or wisdom about it, but wisdom and knowledge are not synonomous with intelligence. A person can have a large mental capacity but still be ignorant.

"I am familiar with biology" is not the same as "I am intelligent with biology". The latter doesn't make sense.

Ou Be Low hoo
The application of knowledge in unfamiliar circumstances denotes intelligence.

My word is final.

-THREAD CLOSED-

peterKSL
Try to understand how I came up with such thing... I don't simply make a thread of nothing...

How can one be said to be wise? When one do the right thing in the given time... How can one do the right thing in the given time? When one is familiar with it, then one can do the right thing in the right time...

You can be intelligent or smart in a particular subject... People usually said that "wow, he's smart in science"... I didn't say that knowledge itself is smart or intelligent... Familliarity is very different with just knowledge... familiarity is to understand and would be able to decide what is best later on... I am very positive that to be intelligent, smart or wise, one must be familiar...

Bardock42
Familiar? May I call BS?
ok dude I am pretty sure we got some decent definitions of Intelligence. To be Intelligent you have to be able to react to a NEW situation fast.

What syou point out is Knowledge not Intelligence. And if you mean being familiar with a situation that doesn'T make you're intelligent , since the situation is not new, you have just doen something like that before.

peterKSL
New can only exist in individuals... everything is already there, waiting for us to discover...

Equations are there for us, when we need to react to new situation. First we need to find the equation, then just subsitute, as like for X, in maths... Isn't this all gotto do with familiarity?? zzzzzzzzzzzz

peterKSL
I really thought through this long enough and I am very sure of it... I have no doubts at all...

Bardock42
Well not really. Even if you go with your definition intelligence is the time you need to get familiar with something not familiaruty itself

peterKSL
I won't want to argue with you any longer, I've stated my point clearly...

Darth Revan
No no no, intelligence is the capacity to learn, or, as you put it, to become familiar with something.

Storm
I don' t agree with the Socratic method.

peterKSL
there is no Socratic method, I have answered my own questions... and given full explanation, maybe not full, but satisfactory..

Philosophicus
Storm, you don't agree with the Socratic method because you can't win an argument. Socrates was the most ingenius of arguers. You've given up arguing with me in the Illusion-Reality thread because you couldn't proove your point. peterKSL made a brilliant point when he said:

"And to go to the point, basicly intelligence, wisdom, and smartness, I define as familiarity. If one is smart, intelligent, or wise, one must be familiar in whatever subject that one is (seen as) smart, intelligent or wise in."

If one is to be seen as smart one has to know one's subject of speciality very thoroughly - familiarity is the weapon. But one can also be intelligent without much in depth knowledge of anything. I would say that real intelligence is the ability to think logically, rationally and creatively at the extreme level.

finti
matter of opinion

Philosophicus
also matter of opinion. smokin'

KharmaDog
opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they think that their own doesn't stink.

Philosophicus
So, the same applies to you then, right? 'Cause that's one stinking opinion of yours - I admit my ******* stinks, but damn, your opinion reeks even more of crap than crap itself!

Storm
laughing
Winning? Is that your only concern?

I proved my point. I can' t help it that you have the listening and debating skills of a concrete wall.

My initial goal was to refer to anamnesis/recollection. I confused Plato and Socrates due to the Meno.
I don' t believe that humans entirely learn through recollection.

WindDancer
Skipping all the Greek philosophy....for me the words intelligent, wise, and smart are ways to recognize a persons intuition and skills within them to produce reasonable arguments. That doesn't mean that they going to be super genius all the time. Since they are humans they are very likely to have flaws or maybe wrong reasoning. Either way a person cannot be smart all the time. That applies to philosophers, writers, scientists, and also religious people.

peterKSL
EVERYTHING is all about possibilities!!! Getting familiar, is to get familiar with the possibilities!!! To think, is to find possibilities, and to find possibilities, there is only 2 ways, knowledge, or by imagination...

To be creative, one has to inherit it from gene and basic interest, and still in the boundary of possibility. "The only way to be entirely good in possibilities, is by familiarity..." <-- important point..

Creatively at the extreme level is still learning.. it is under the hierarchy of thinking.. generating possibilities... I agree with you, that a person is wise, to generate possibility, the work of originality. Generate possibility--> present, Familiarity--> past. Both are connected in the search for the truth...

peterKSL
It is very true that people can't be smart all the time, that is because no one is capable of being familiar in everything... at least without the means of technology in the future.. wink

Darth Revan
That's not necessarily true. It is the best way to do it, but if you're tricky and good with words, you can come across like you know what you're talking about even if you really don't. wink

Philosophicus
Very true. smile

Philosophicus
You did not proove your point. Something can only be proven if the argument logically refutes all possible counter arguments - you merely resorted to scientific definitions, because you could not proove it logically - scientific definitions are mere interpretations.

Same here, I can' t help it that you have the listening and debating skills of a concrete wall. Anyway, if I'm a concrete wall, why do you debate with me?

Recollection is the foundation of learning, because without recollection you will be unable to draw relations between ideas, as you cannot recollect past learning and thus your learning cannot progress. All learning is based upon past learning - building on the recollection of past learning.

Alpha Centauri
Is it me or does Philosophicus always, without fail, seem as though he's talking completely out of his rectum?

I don't think I have ever met a more pretentious, self-appreciating (for no reason) person in my entire life, on the net or otherwise.

-AC

BlackC@t
Philosophicus, don't be so full of yourself.

We all know you're not some kind of super genius.

Philosophicus
I think you are thinking out of your rectum, because obviously you don't have the intellectual capacity to appreciate philosophy, and that's why you think I'm pretentious. If you don't undersdtand someone's philosophy, you can't criticise it meaningfully.

Alpha Centauri
"I think you are thinking out of your rectum, because obviously you don't have the intellectual capacity to appreciate philosophy, and that's why you think I'm pretentious. If you don't undersdtand someone's philosophy, you can't criticise it meaningfully."

I don't have intellectual capacity?

Judging by what you know of me, you must be basing that on what I've said so far. Just because I disagree with your methods and techniques, it equates to me lacking intellectual capacity?

Wrong, it does not. THAT is being not only pretentious, but outrageously self absorbed.

If I have a philosophy, I recognise that not everyone on here may immediately get it, therefore to create discussion I simplify it to make it more palatable. You shouldn't come in a philosophy forum, over complicate or not simplify things, and then claim how you're a genius because no one understands you. It's a cowardly, pseudo-intellectual technique.

What have you got to hide that's so worth over complicating? Could it be that you've not got any incredibly intricate views after all? I'm asking, not assuming. Could that be it?

As for saying I don't appreciate philosophy, I do. I don't appreciate the misuse and butchering of it for personal gain however. Which is exactly what you do on this forum.

-AC

Philosophicus
Well, I've got news for you: my philosophy has been published in 5 countries around Europe, USA, and South Africa and it's been acclaimed to have revolutionary concepts by many critics.

BackFire
Just like you're a philosophy teacher?

Philosophicus
I'm not a philosophy teacher and I don't want to be one - one cannot be taught to think philosophically.

BackFire
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f75/t321515.html

Just a reminder, one who's lied before will lie again. I expect to see another thread stating the truth that you actually have never been published, and the "critics" you speak of are in reality your mommy and daddy.

Alpha Centauri
"Well, I've got news for you: my philosophy has been published in 5 countries around Europe, USA, and South Africa and it's been acclaimed to have revolutionary concepts by many critics."

I'm genuinely (no sarcasm) interested in seeing these acclaims and approved revolutionary concepts.

Yes he mentioned that, Backfire. To me, being a teacher doesn't equate to being smarter than someone who isn't a teacher. I've been smarter than a great deal of my teachers as I'm sure anyone of high learning capacity and perception has been or is capable of doing.

Academic knowledge means nothing next to broad and extensive general knowledge.

Don't get me wrong he may very well be an extremely intelligent person, I'm not calling the man dumb. I'm above name calling (idiot, for example) but I don't agree with the way he puts himself across. I have the right to say that. Calling me an idiot coz I think he comes across as being pretentious isn't called for. Labelling me as "lacking intelligent capacity" and not understanding a philosopher because I don't agree with him or bow down to him, isn't acceptable to me. People call me arrogant and stuff on these forums, I don't insult them. There's simply no need.

From my experience teachers and professors of a high level are unbelievably arrogant anyway. If you're a genius (still don't understand your simple spelling mistakes and punctuation errors mind) then that's cool to be proud or even arrogant, however when you over complicate things that can be quite easily simplified, then accuse those who don't understand of being idiots, rather than SHARING your philosophy and indeed teaching it, as your profession title implies you should, then I think you're quite a pompous person.

-AC

Philosophicus
So, I'm a pompous person. I don't feel the need to proove anything to you. What's your point?

Alpha Centauri
A) It's prove, with one O. It's not a grammar obsession, geniuses should have basic spelling skills.

B) My point is that for all your claims and "accolades", you're nothing special. The only person on here who thinks you really are is you, apparently.

Calling me an idiot out of insecurity isn't gonna phase me. I've met people like you before and I will again. You are a dime a dozen pseudo-genius who quite frankly hides behind a thesaurus comfort blanket.

-AC

Philosophicus
Beethoven was a genius and he couldn't spell.

Anyway, it's really pointless arguing with you, it's getting boring.

Alpha Centauri
You're not exactly a barrel of laughs.

"I will also leave this forum now, as I feel I have accomplished in what I set out to do."

My thoughts exactly, prof...I mean, Poet....I mean....ah forget it.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
so..what is this .. secret.. to being /be seen as intelligent..? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Philosophicus
The secret to be seen as intelligent is to be intelligent.

SaTsuJiN
but if its a secret.. that implies that one lacks intelligence and is trying to cover it up by acting that way for a public audience.

Alpha Centauri
Philosophicus can field the question of how to LOOK intelligent and lie about it better than most.

After all he did try to pass himself off as critically acclaimed philosophy professor only to admit he lied when everyone had him figured.

-AC

Philosophicus
A great liar and someone who can come accross as being very intelligent simply can't be unintelligent, you must agree.

Oh...ummm...alpha, I thought you said what you wanted to.

finti
an inteligent wouldnt have to lie

Philosophicus
Lots of intelligent people lie, finti. That's a ridiculous argument.

Alpha Centauri
"A great liar and someone who can come accross as being very intelligent simply can't be unintelligent, you must agree."

Well.......you tried that, and people knew from the start that you were bullshitting. So...no it doesn't mean you're intelligent just because you're pulling of a successful lie. It just means you're preaching to a stupid choir. KMC Philosophy forum isn't like that.

"Oh...ummm...alpha, I thought you said what you wanted to."

I did? In this thread? Where?

(This will be funny)

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
I disargee being intelligent means being very bright and smart.It has nothering to do with libeling someone as one.There are alot of intelligent people in this world Who are infact smart.JM

Alpha Centauri
Jackie....

Please think before you type.

-AC

finti
oh Jackie a refreshing input there, brilliant laughing out loud

Philosophicus
Look alpha, I like bullshitting people and lying, BUT that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent.

Alpha Centauri
"Look alpha, I like bullshitting people and lying, BUT that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent."

It means you're sad. To fabricate such an intricate thing and use it to supposedly place yourself "ahead" or "above" people on this forum.

Whoever has that mentality and needs to do it, isn't very smart to me.

You have primary narcissism. You don't LIKE bullshitting and lying, you NEED to. You clearly have some non-existant, superiority complex going on that needs to be fed. Your biggest and best critic is yourself and thats the only acclaim you ever get. So you continue to make it all up and put yourself in a comfort zone by telling yourself how much better YOU are.

You are hurt and afraid at the fact that one day you'll wake up and realise the truth: You're nothing special.

-AC

Philosophicus
I'm nothing special? Go and read the comments on my poems in the poetry&prose forum. Oh, and why would I be a published poet by VoicesNet who chooses only a few hundred poems out of 55000 submissions for publication, if I'm not special???? Why would my Haiku poems in my own language: Afrikaans be critiqued by the acclaimed South African writer, Francois Bloemhof as being unique and very original? Go to Poetry.com and see the reviews on my poems - people there actually think my poems are very good.

Anyway, I doubt whether you are something special - you only criticise but never actually make the trouble to come up with your own unique philosophy as I did.

Alpha Centauri
"I'm nothing special? Go and read the comments on my poems in the poetry&prose forum. Oh, and why would I be a published poet by VoicesNet who chooses only a few hundred poems out of 55000 submissions for publication, if I'm not special????"

Like these critics who praised your philosophies that are yet to be shown? The lectures you gave that were praised?

Man, getting praised in poetry and prose on KMC forums isn't exactly winning the book of the year award. If you considered forum dwellers saying "We like your work" an accolade that deems you special, you need a reality check.

"Go to Poetry.com and see the reviews on my poems - people there actually think my poems are very good."

People in America think Good Charlotte are very good. See where I'm going? No? Well I'll tell you. Just because "people" think your poems are good, doesn't mean you're special.

"Anyway, I doubt whether you are something special - you only criticise but never actually make the trouble to come up with your own unique philosophy as I did."

I have a better quality of life than to sit down, think up an unanswerable question (and I do like philosophy) and then come on here to plaster it about the brag on it.

Philosophies aren't hard to come up with. Interesting ones are.

Show us all these concrete proof readings and awards and things then.

-AC

Philosophicus
Go to:
http://myweb.absa.co.za/wreyneke/Mybook.htm to get links to my published stuff.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not gonna go and fall onto something that MIGHT be yours.

Send me the exact link. I'm not doubting that you have poetry on the net, I just wanna see this awards you have.

-AC

Philosophicus
Don't you mean: "I just wanna see thEsE/those awards you have" ? Instead of "I just wanna see this awards you have" ?

Anyway, I never said I have an AWARD, but that I got published and positively criticised.

What do you mean by exact link? I gave you the link to my personal web site which have exact links. confused

Alpha Centauri
Yes I meant I would like to see this AWARD but I thought you said awards and forgot to change it. Simple typo.

You mentioned on this forum, before I left, an award that you owned. I dunno if it had anything to do with your philosophy "career" at the time though.

I'll check that link.

-AC

Philosophicus
I know nothing about an award.

peterKSL
That I believe you are talking about the skill of deceiving.. yea you are right, if one is good at deceiving, one will be seen smart by folks who are still not familiar with deceiving, or to be deceived... but it is still under the boundaries of familiarity sad

Philosophicus
peter - you talk about "familiarity", but what does familiarity really mean? To what degree does one have to be familiar with something in order to have real insight? Can one really be familiar with anything, when existence is an infinity?

peterKSL
There, I have explain what familiarity is..

"The truth can be defined by different levels of familiarity".. basicly playing chess, ect is all about familiarity, and generating possibilities, as they play... Only nature has the real insight... none else has it.. because we are still stuck with the process of learning... It is not possible to be familiar with everything... our life is short, but I, myself am experimenting on this... on age 14 I gained interest in philosophy and psychology... I am trying to understand how other people, of other characteristics feel like... I'm immitating them, and see how environment acts upon it, as to understand it...

Philosophicus
But still, every entity in existence is infinite it form and complexity - how can one really become familiar with something that is infinite - it poses an impossibility. For instance an atom which is composed of an infinity of subatomic particles - you can never become familiar with this entity - your knowledge will be shrinking infinitely. One can only really and completely know something when you have exhausted all knowledge of its properties, but by virtue of its infinity, that's impossible. That is why real knowledge of 'the-thing-in-itself' as Kant put it, is impossible.

peterKSL
to put it into reality, one can put it in a graph, a hierarchy chart...

Philosophicus
What do you mean?

peterKSL
I'll tell you other time, I've explain earlier on, but I forgot which thread... I'm kinda busy now in school...

Philosophicus
Ok, I understand. But even a hierarchy is infinite if you link it up with the infinity of reality - so you'll always end up knowing only as far as you go down the hierarchy or list of possibilities, which is infinite. As all is infinite, you cannot wrap it up into a limited hierarchy or list of possibilities - there aren't only so much possibilities - it's endless.

But I'll wait 'till you have more time to elaborate your theory and then talk again.

finti
just have to read a bit more about it first...big grinbig grinbig grin cool smokin'

Philosophicus
finti, as cocky as always, just like me. cool beer

KharmaDog
Yes, Finti and philo, two birds of a feather wink

finti
theres that word again eek!

Philosophicus
did I hit a nerve there, finti - something troubling you in that area?
Kharma, glad to see you're in a better mood again. wink

KharmaDog
Was never in a bad mood, well not never, just not recently.

Philosophicus
well, I'm sorry if I was a bit moody yesterday.

finti
I aint one for braging so.............. big grin wink

Philosophicus
Maybe 'cause you aint got anything to brag about. cool

finti
I assure you I do, I have to stand in the living room to take a piss and the living room is a floor belwo the bathroom eek!

Philosophicus
rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing rolling on floor laughing

So how do you walk around in public - do you tie it up?

finti
people think Im a hunchback eek!

Philosophicus
Jesus! laughing I feel sorry for your woman! She must have one hell of a deep throat.

finti
she uses it to dry the laundry, so just pile on up and throw on a carpet

Philosophicus
That's plain sick, but I suppose everyone's got there fetishes.
What do the neighbors think when they see you drying the laundry with your manhood? I guess they recommended that you see a psychiatrist.

debbiejo
I've met a lot of intelligent idiots. It's wisdom what counts!!!

finti
and how do you detect wisdom?

debbiejo
Wisdom just is

finti
oh really

debbiejo
Well I am one of the wise ones. We are one, we are borg.

finti
actually this would indicate the opposite

debbiejo
Wisdom does not need words now does it????????????

peterKSL
wisdom can be performed by words which are spoken and written, art, and actions, ect. Basicly wisdom need to be acknowledged by someone else other than the person itself, for wisdom needs to be dependent to be viewed in its full potential... In other words, wisdom needs to be proven...

Bardock42
No, wisdom doesn't need a prove you casn be wise without anyone knowing. Especially since most people around are rather not-wise anyway.

peterKSL
what I am saying is same as the tree existence forum....

finti
only a fool is seen as a genius when he/she is told how smart they are, only the genuine sees the true genius within themselves....................

peterKSL
so you are implying that nobody should call someone a genius???? And if they did, they are a fool... so your parents are fools if they call you a genius when you achieved something brilliant??

Your sentence overall doesn't make sense... finti...

Philosophicus
finti: "only the genuine sees the true genius within themselves...................."

So, finti, if I see a genius inside myself, I am indeed a genius?

Debiejo, how do you define winsdom, wise one?

debbiejo
You can't grasshopper. Just kidding. I see wisdom as having knowledge and knowing how to apply and use it. Its not critical, proud, judgemental. It treats all things and people with the same respect they deserve. It's knowing when to keep you mouth shut and just listen. It's not trying to prove anything to anybody. It's in your actions and it effects others around you by not even saying a word. It puts others, including our world before ourselves. It's something like that.

Philosophicus
Wisdom is still subjective.

finti
no.........................someone needs to tell you evil face

debbiejo
I agree.

Bardock42
I think you either are a genius, which we don't have a sufficent definition of anyway or you are not. No need to be seen as one or see yourself as one.

peterKSL
different people wants to be looked differently... I am not a person who aims to be seen intelligent too... but I would like to share my opinions with people... The forum have wide range of different kinds of people, if it didn't help you, it might help other people...

debbiejo
WISDOM just is.......................

WindDancer
Philosophicus could you explain to me why is it that all your threads always revolve around you? You keep saying that you're a poet and that philosophy is only for those that are wise and you've got this knowledge of everything? I'm just curious as to why this keeps happening. Don't get me wrong. I'm not picking on you but I'm just curious as to why all the pointless attention?

debbiejo
I think it's " In thyne own self be true."

Philosophicus
But you said: "only the genuine sees the true genius within themselves...................."

Thus, by your argument, if I see a genius in myself, I am one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Philosophicus
Firstly, I never said I was wise.
Secondly, I never said I've got this knowledge of everything. I merely post my philosophical theories.
Thirdly, philosophy really is only for the highly intelligent - the person of average intelligence is not remotely interested in philosophy because he doesn't think on an intellectual scale, not necesarily for the wise - wisdom is overrated and subjective anyway.

Lastly, you say: "why all the pointless attention?" the latter sentence means: why do I get all the pointless attention - don't ask me why I get attention. Or did you mean: why do I seek all the pointless attention? In the latter case, if you see it as pointless, then how come I attract YOUR attention? laughing

finti
or the fact that one reall has to be told that they are the genious and according to my "argeument" what does that make one?........................ cool

finti
more or less what it comes down to is that the only one that can see one as a genious is yourself.

Philosophicus
Then how come some people see others as genius?

finti
they overrate them

peterKSL
it is true that one can feel the pleasure of what one had achieved, over time... That one truly cherish oneself, and see oneself as a genius. But a genius is not based on that alone, as genius needs to be proven, if one wants to have the title "genius"... you can't go around the world, or even the guinis book of record saying that you are a genius because you felt like one... that would be hilarious!! laughing out loud

KharmaDog
No, but you continue to promote yourself as a genius on almost every (if not every) thread in which you participate.

In University one of my good friends took philosophy with me. He was a good guy, but I would not be insulting him if I were to say that he was nearly as dumb as a wood post (he would be the first to admit to his ridiculously pathetic academic achievements) yet he got an 89 in his first philosophy class. He continued to take philosophy classes and amazed me with his marks. I asked him how he did so well and he responded, " I just take these classes to boost my average, you don't have to be smart, you just have to tell each prof what they want to hear and be complexly vague about it."

Wisdom isn't over rated either, is applying the sum of your knowledge. Actually I think this world could do with a little more wisdom.

You deflected her question there with a quick quip. Why the desire for all the attention (I'll leave out the pointless)? Are you trying to prove something to the world, to yourself or are you even aware that it is happening?

Philosophicus
Kharma: "You deflected her question there with a quick quip. Why the desire for all the attention (I'll leave out the pointless)? Are you trying to prove something to the world, to yourself or are you even aware that it is happening?"

I really have no desire for attention, nor do I want to prove anything, but my endeavor to philosophise.

KharmaDog
Then why all the self promotion?

Philosophicus
Self promotion? I'm not aware of this. But didn't you say it takes amongst other things, self-promotion to become famous/seen as great?

finti
yeah

KharmaDog
You are not aware of how often you bring up your intelligence and personal life in every thread? Wow, I don't know what to say.

And I did not say that you were (or should be seen as) famous or great, I merely said that you seem to shamelessly self promote yourself. Please do not put words in my mouth. Especially ones as absurd as that..

Philosophicus
I was refering to the 'promotion' of genius which you talked about in your thread: Intellectual/pseudo intellectual

KharmaDog
So are you saying that you are trying to promote yourself as a genius and by self promoting yourself you'll hope others buy into it?

Philosophicus
No, I'm not saying that. I don't have the resources and oppurtunities to promote myself.

debbiejo
Note when your a skeleten and have a smoke in your mouth

KharmaDog
The continued self declaration of genius on this forum is self promotion.

Philosophicus
I never said I am a genius, in cases when I said something like "the genius bores the idiot" I was being jocular, not serious. But I never actually said I am a genius!

KharmaDog
Actually you did say you were a genius, talked about your I.Q. scores, and mentioned how you are a member of some High I.Q. club or something like that.

Philosophicus
I said my IQ scores say I'm a genius, not me personally.

KharmaDog

Philosophicus
whatever......

Alpha Centauri
This forum was good once.

-AC

peterKSL
hell yea... it was MY forum at that time...

debbiejo
Philosophy to me is an end unto it's self. It's like a dog chasing its tail. My mothers taken many philosophy courses. Before that we used to be able to talk. Now she will never admit she is wrong on anything. Finally she'll say words are subjective. You can never win an argument because they live in "philosophy world" where there are only plays on words.... She also seems much more of an angrier person then she used to be. I like her when she was human.

Philosophicus
debiejo, why do you worry? Your religion gives you answers to everything, doesn't it? You live in "Faith world" where there are only blind people - blinded by faith and the intoxication of it.

debbiejo
I'm in my own little world remember??? I don't worry no
It's just fun to watch tail chasing. one eye

Philosophicus
Yes, you live in your own utopia. If there really was a god, evryone would have known it - why would god hide from us - that only causes wars via religious differences resulting from his hiding game.

KharmaDog
O.k., enough god-talk, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Shadwofathought
And that's about all its worth for the most part, I think, but it's up to you to decide.
After just reading through this forum I have to honestly say that Peter, you're not very skilled when it comes to defending or explaining your philosophy. Not once did you explain even come close to talking about a viable question that someone has posed. It's rather sad. I don't pretend to be a philosophic type of person. Personally I'd prefer being under the hood of a car working on something that has definite answers and tangible parts. But every so often I enjoy jumping into these types of conversations.
I do agree with you, being familiar with something does give us intelligence IN THAT SUBJECT. But when most people refer to intelligence they are not referring to any specific subject, which is what I believe to be the largest problem in thread. You seem to be referring to familiarity in subjects, but you can't be familiar with all subjects. Intelligence has already been defined quite a few times so I won't bother posting it again. I agree that you are correct to a degree. But true intelligence spans beyond just a particular subject.
Philisophicus, I honestly have to agree with most other people in the fact that you really are just trying to put yourself up on a pedestal above everyone else to just make yourself feel better for whatever reason. I'd like to have a nice discussion about religion with you at some point but I have a feeling you ARE a concrete wall on that topic (as are most people, religious or non for that matter).
Also, having poetry that's acclaimed to be "great", is hardly as a task worth writing home about. I've been on poetry.com quite a few times and you could write "I like to live, living is fun" and it would be a hit in seconds on that site. I'm not denouncing some of the poets that frequent that site; I'm merely saying you're basing your "greatness in poetry" on people that range from 5 years old to a 58yr old in the penitentiary. I think you have some decent ideas, I even like some of them, but even being intelligent doesn't call for self-promotion or being pompous.
Hope you all have a good day and enjoy your discussion smile

And always remember, Philisophicus... No matter what YOU do, think, or say... you'll only end up in one place... the ground.

debbiejo
I think the secret to being intelligent is always seeking the truth in knowledge and never admitting that you know all the answers, because you don't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.