Did you ever protest againt something?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I did when that horrible movie "Dogma" came out I Join some friends and we held up signs infront of the closest movie place.
Also I go to the march for life every year with my school I think it is this monday not sure through.
Anyway it was alot of fun.So what did you ever protest againt?JM confused

42Bardock
What the hell? Dogma is one of the greatest movies ever made, why did you protedst against that?
I don'T protest against stuff, I think that is just some annoying way of telling ones opinion. But again: Dogma? Its funny, it even says god exists what can anyone say against that? Not to forget that it is great

mechmoggy
I'm waging a one-man, silent protest against wearing underpants.

WindDancer
I'm too lazy to go stand outside a place and hold a sign. I'd rather be doing something constructive. wink

42Bardock
I think all girls should protest against wearing overpants, ever.

Jackie Malfoy
It is a mock movie about the life of god that I don't find at al funny.It is insulting.If there was a movie insulting jews or another reason there would be really a big protest againt it.JM

42Bardock
I wouldn't protest.
Anyway you can't take it all that serious, you know it was just a comedy movie, not intended to be serious. Did you see it by the way? What exactly did you find offensive?

Aku
Why bother protesting? It doesnt make any difference. The only thing i've ever rebelled against was when my mate said we should play spin the bottle when there was only 1 girl and six guys.

42Bardock
I can understand you aku. Well if it was the other way around it would be fun.

Aku
Too right, although I actually kissed a guy that night, but I was completely drunk. Still not the worst thing I've kissed.

Jackie Malfoy
I hate to know what the worst thing that you kissed then!lol!jm

42Bardock
Oh shit I agree with Jackie on that one.

big gay kirk
I was arrested for taking part in a protest outside the South African Embassy, against the imprisonment without trial of Nelson Mandela... this was back in about 1987.... I was unusual among the protesters, as they all wanted him freed... I wanted him put on trial fairly.... I also protested against the hunting ban in this country, the banning of handguns, the stationing of American missiles, the war in Iraq, and lots of other stuff....

BackFire
No, protesting is dumb. Just makes you look like a petty idiot. "oh, I'm holding up a sign singing an obnoxious slogan, people will care what I say."

I agree with Windancer, I'd rather be doing something contructive, like taking a shit or masterbating, or playing video games.

Fire
BF we didn't need to know what you do with your spare time (TMI man)

well I've been out protesting a few times in my life. Mostly against political decisions, against "nukes" that the US stores in an airforce base in Belgium (don't ask me to explain hard to understand if you ain't a belgian) and last but not least against intolerance.

I agree that one man with a sign can't do much. but when a few hundred thousand ppl march onto Brussels politicians usualy listen (a few hundred thousand is a lot for Belgium)

KidRock
FUR IS MURDER

jk.. no i would never protest.

Afro Cheese
No I haven't. I got invited to one by this guy who was hanging out outside my school to protest against the FTAA but I didn't go. Who wants to hang out in the sun with a bunch of hippies?

Imperial_Samura
I like to feel I am doing something when it comes to things that are wrong. I will admit I protested the war in Iraq, I protested to save some of Australia's old growth forests (a travesty, some of the most beautiful hard wood trees, some hundreds of years old, being wood chipped, disgraceful), I joined a massive student protest that stood against the raising of University fees again (damn you to Hell John Howard) which actually worked it seems, my University is the only one in the state that decided not to raise its fees in the end, angry students can make a difference it seems (at least thats what I claim)...

Some other things as well.

forumcrew
im with you so from the comfort of my chair im protesting protesting and ill take my stand by doing nothing

silver_tears
I've done it against the war in Iraq back last March confused

KidRock
haha what a waste of time that was

Drifter101
yes i have protested and it ended w/ me getting kicked outta the store, i hate sears so much

MC Mike
Well friends of mine went all over thier town and on EVERY Stop sign within the city limits, over 200, they put "Bush" or "War" under the word STOP. big grin

Silver Stardust
That is great.

I protested the war in Iraq.

shaber
I think protesting about stuff is too risky. Obviously the trivial matters wouldn't be worth the effort anyway.

Reckoning
Animal rights protests; civil action protests; of course, the war on Iraq; the Howard government; the Carr government. I have numerous infractions with the police.

Morning_Glory
abortion protests about 7 yrs ago

42Bardock

Jackie Malfoy
Protesting againt abortion is not being facist and I did not protest againt the war.I am prolife and want abortion to be againt the law that is why every year there is a march for life in Washion that I go to every year.JM

42Bardock
Why?

Darth Revan
There's one thing I've never understood, and that's when I see people protesting in support of decisions the government's made. Like when people go marching around outside with signs "protesting" to support the troops. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting the troops, it just seems to me that it's not much of a protest if that's all you're trying to get done. Same with protesting a movie--no offense Jackie, but if you think "protesting" a movie is going to get people to stop watching it or the theater to stop playing it... That's just stupid. So, kind of a long-winded way to say it, but my thoughts are that protesting anything not related to politics is pointless.

Darth Revan
Do I smell a contradiction?

Afro Cheese
I agree it's pointless to protest against a movie. I think all protesting is pointless but that just seems extra pointless. You don't like the movie don't watch it.. stop trying to control what other people want to watch.

Aku
Best Thing I've Kissed - My mates auntie (she had experience for a 47 year old)

Worst Thing I've Kissed - When I was drugged up my mates dog started licking my face and so i gave it a good snog but didnt feel too good afterwards. It was'nt too pleasant.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by BackFire
No, protesting is dumb. Just makes you look like a petty idiot. "oh, I'm holding up a sign singing an obnoxious slogan, people will care what I say."

I agree with Windancer, I'd rather be doing something contructive, like taking a shit or masterbating, or playing video games.

That is because you only care about yourself.JM sad

BackFire
No, it's because I'm not going to push my beliefs on others who may disagree. I respect other people enough not to ***** and moan untill I get my way.

Jackie Malfoy
I do repect other people's feelings but it is freedom of speech to go protest againt something you do not argee on.And if you reather do something else then help people relise this then it is what you call selfish.JM

pr1983
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I did when that horrible movie "Dogma" came out I Join some friends and we held up signs infront of the closest movie place.
Also I go to the march for life every year with my school I think it is this monday not sure through.
Anyway it was alot of fun.So what did you ever protest againt?JM confused

Dogma? are you mad? its a comedy, a good one too...

lil bitchiness
Yes.

- I protested against my government imposing ridiculous fees on my education which prevent anyone whos parents are working class from going to university and who will leave all of us in a debt we cannot pay off for a very long time.

- I protested American bombing of Serbia

- I protested American bombing and invasion of Afghanistan

- I protested American bombing and invasion of Iraq

- I protested Chinese massacre in Tibet.

- I protested against Saudi Arabia's lack of human rights

Other minor peace demonstrations, human rights demonstrations and similar.
Also a member and giving money to Amnesty International every month.

BackFire
I do repect other people's feelings but it is freedom of speech to go protest againt something you do not argee on.And if you reather do something else then help people relise this then it is what you call selfish.JM

Protesting is more selfish then not protesting. You're protesting for what you believe in, regaurdless of what other people may want to believe, you're doing it for yourself, hence, you're the selfish one.

And what are you helping people to realize? All you're doing is telling people how you feel, and that because YOU feel this way, the law you are protesting should change. Only thinking of yourself.

Oh, and speaking of freedom of speech, you do realize that by protesting against a movie like dogma you were actually protesting against freedom of speech. People have a right to create what they want when it comes to film, it's part of the whole freedom of speech thing. Protesting a movie is probably the most retarded thing one could ever protest against. If you don't like the movie, don't see it, by protesting it you're giving it publicity, you're making people know about it and raising more interest in it. The reason dogma got as much recognition as it did was because of all the people protesting it. It got it in the news and as such, people went to see it out of curiosity. You helped what you were trying to hurt. If you want to protest against a movie, just don't see it and ignore it completely.

FeceMan
What the hell. Jackie asked a legitimate question, asking whether any of you has protested about anything before, and Bardock comes and starts being an ass.

BackFire
He answered the question after questioning why she protested against something so stupid.

FeceMan
He answered the question after questioning why she protested against something so stupid.
Meh, my bad...knee-jerk reaction and I haven't had much sleep. Sowwy.

BackFire
lol, no problem, you killer of threads you.

Jackie Malfoy
Protesting is more selfish then not protesting. You're protesting for what you believe in, regaurdless of what other people may want to believe, you're doing it for yourself, hence, you're the selfish one.

And what are you helping people to realize? All you're doing is telling people how you feel, and that because YOU feel this way, the law you are protesting should change. Only thinking of yourself.

Oh, and speaking of freedom of speech, you do realize that by protesting against a movie like dogma you were actually protesting against freedom of speech. People have a right to create what they want when it comes to film, it's part of the whole freedom of speech thing. Protesting a movie is probably the most retarded thing one could ever protest against. If you don't like the movie, don't see it, by protesting it you're giving it publicity, you're making people know about it and raising more interest in it. The reason dogma got as much recognition as it did was because of all the people protesting it. It got it in the news and as such, people went to see it out of curiosity. You helped what you were trying to hurt. If you want to protest against a movie, just don't see it and ignore it completely.

I did!It makes fun of christens and to me that is not right.That is the only reason I protested againt it.Everyone has promblems when they say something bad about jews or other religon but when it comes to christens it is mock them make fun of them.
You may think this is fine but it is unfair and it should not happen.JM smile

lil bitchiness
Everyone has promblems when they say something bad about jews or other religon but when it comes to christens it is mock them make fun of them.
This is very true, although I do not agree with your movie protest.

BackFire
I did!It makes fun of christens and to me that is not right.That is the only reason I protested againt it.Everyone has promblems when they say something bad about jews or other religon but when it comes to christens it is mock them make fun of them.
You may think this is fine but it is unfair and it should not happen.JM smile

Why? Because you say so? Again, showing your selfish thinking.

Freedom of speech, that thing you're exercising by protesting, was also being exercised by the film maker who made Dogma, there is no difference, he's giving his point of view, you're giving yours. It's beyond hypocritical to defend what you're doing by falling back on "freedom of speech" then in the next post say condem someone else exercising his freedom of speech in a way you don't approve of. He has the same rights as you.

And no, you are wrong about Jews, people make fun of Jews on TV and in movies all the time. It's all in good fun, no harm done, same with dogma. It was all in fun.

Dogma didn't make fun of Christians at all, it was about an upcoming apocalypse caused by a loophole in the Christian faith, and a woman who had lost her faith in god was the only person who could stop it. It said nothing mean or derogatory about Christians.

Did you even see Dogma, jackie?

lil bitchiness
If anything, it made Christianity look good...

BackFire
All it did was have discussions involving common questions people have about Christianity.

It's funny, the only people who protested this movie are ones who didn't see it. Ignorance at its best.

FeceMan
I saw the movie and didn't think it made fun of Christianity at all. It was a mediocre movie, enjoyable for an afternoon but not something I'd see again. I could get all up in arms because the producers said that God was a woman, or I could just enjoy the movie because, well, it is a movie. I enjoyed Constantine just as I enjoyed Dogma.

Jackie Malfoy
Why? Because you say so? Again, showing your selfish thinking.

Freedom of speech, that thing you're exercising by protesting, was also being exercised by the film maker who made Dogma, there is no difference, he's giving his point of view, you're giving yours. It's beyond hypocritical to defend what you're doing by falling back on "freedom of speech" then in the next post say condem someone else exercising his freedom of speech in a way you don't approve of. He has the same rights as you.

And no, you are wrong about Jews, people make fun of Jews on TV and in movies all the time. It's all in good fun, no harm done, same with dogma. It was all in fun.

Dogma didn't make fun of Christians at all, it was about an upcoming apocalypse caused by a loophole in the Christian faith, and a woman who had lost her faith in god was the only person who could stop it. It said nothing mean or derogatory about Christians.

Did you even see Dogma, jackie?

No but I know about it.JM

BackFire
Obviously you don't. You know what misinformed people said about it, you should experience things for yourself before condeming them. Watch Dogma, see for yourself if you think it's offensive and insulting to Christians, and decide for yourself. It's the only way to know for sure.

BlackC@t
Urgh! I could never sit through Dogma again.

So boring...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by 42Bardock
I wouldn't protest.
Anyway you can't take it all that serious, you know it was just a comedy movie, not intended to be serious. Did you see it by the way? What exactly did you find offensive?

WHAT?! You don't have a sense of humor? Even god laughed at that movie. You might be going to hell, I dunno... Happy Dance

moviejunkie23
Dogma was a story of fiction. I get very nervous when people start talking about trying to censor movies and music that doesn't agree with them. That is very dangerous. If the government is able to control one facet of your life they will move to the next until you get more and more rights taken awayand the government has more and more power. Sure it may seem like small fry stuff just talking about censoring a movie but we are talking about the principle here, the government should not be able to censor how you express yourself through movies and music.
What if a mass amount of people find the Bible offensive because of the violence in the old testement and so on. Do you think the government should have the right to censor that? Of course not. Even if you don't agree with someone the best kinda society is one were people have the right to say what they want without being afraid.

BullitNutz
I protested against the war.... Burned a flag while I was at it, too.

ragesRemorse
I protest "The Man."

and walmart.

AdventChild
It is a mock movie about the life of god that I don't find at al funny.It is insulting.If there was a movie insulting jews or another reason there would be really a big protest againt it.JM

I agree with you on that JM..... if it was a movie making fun of some other religon i'm sure memebers of that religon would protest as well...

AdventChild
and i protested against the removal of pepsi blue....i love that soda!!

SlipknoT
Anyway it was alot of fun.So what did you ever protest againt?JM confused Dogma was a great movie.

AdventChild
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Dogma was a great movie.
no movie is great if it offends some one or a group of people like say 300 people perhaps of example....it may have been a well written enjoyable movie but not a great one.....

Afro Cheese
A movie can be great and offend people. What makes you think otherwise? Great story, great actors, great filming = great movie.. regardless if a group is offended or not.

Dogma wasn't a great movie, but thats not because it offended people, it's because it just wasn't that great.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
A movie can be great and offend people. What makes you think otherwise? Great story, great actors, great filming = great movie.. regardless if a group is offended or not.

Dogma wasn't a great movie, but thats not because it offended people, it's because it just wasn't that great.

I agree, Dogma wasn't that great. I didn't even watch the whole thing. Wanna talk about a shitty movie, The Passion was a shitty movie.

BackFire
Originally posted by AdventChild
no movie is great if it offends some one or a group of people like say 300 people perhaps of example....it may have been a well written enjoyable movie but not a great one.....

This is the biggest load of shit I've ever read, it's blatantly wrong.

lil bitchiness
I thought the whole Buddy Jesus thing was great!!

How can you possibly protest against something like that - like the movie said, its more friendly than bleeding jesus on the cross.

Besides, poor Jesus - if he ever got reincarnated with his memory of previous life, and saw everyone had him on the cross everywhere, bleeding to death, i bet he would be very pissed!

ragesRemorse
dogma was not blasphemous in any kind of way. It told a a story that revolved around Catholic religion, but did it in a humorous way. It diddnt go against teachings of the Bible. Smith just elaborated, exaggerated and made some shit up, but it wasnt sacrilegious. I htink there may have been one part of the flick that was sacrlegous, and that was having George carlin perform as a cardinal...brilliant by the way.

I live in Pittsburgh, and when that movie was being filmed here, the city was going nutty over it. there were protests and the whole nine yards. When several priests viewed the movie they said they found it funny and appreciated the message given.

Smith actually did a great job at walking that fine line of humour, and religion without shitting al over the religion.

Dwarfdude
wallbash Why..Dont...People....Get....Comedy.

Comedy is supposed to make fun of people. Thats what makes it comedy. Its supposed poke fun at stupidity, government, or religion. People dont seem to understand this. For example, how many of the white people here like Chris Rock? Now, if you were at the Apollo when Chris Rock was doing a show, would you laugh at the black jokes while all the black people could see you? Many people would say no. I say yes. Because its funny. And it is due to being afraid of being called "racist" or "blasphemic" or all of the above, that people protest comedy.

ITS F*CKING COMEDY! ITS F*CKING FUNNY! ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO CAUSE UNREST!!!

Right, now, getting back on topic.

I have protested against certain things, the Iraq War, stuff like that.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Dwarfdude
wallbash Why..Dont...People....Get....Comedy.

Comedy is supposed to make fun of people. Thats what makes it comedy. Its supposed poke fun at stupidity, government, or religion. People dont seem to understand this. For example, how many of the white people here like Chris Rock? Now, if you were at the Apollo when Chris Rock was doing a show, would you laugh at the black jokes while all the black people could see you? Many people would say no. I say yes. Because its funny. And it is due to being afraid of being called "racist" or "blasphemic" or all of the above, that people protest comedy.

ITS F*CKING COMEDY! ITS F*CKING FUNNY! ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO CAUSE UNREST!!!

Right, now, getting back on topic.

I have protested against certain things, the Iraq War, stuff like that.

I agree with you, but alot of times comedy is taken to far just to get shock value. Especially when it comes to religion. I think shitting on peoples beliefes for a laugh is going a little to far. It is cool when performers present the joke through there perception of the topic, but most times people are tearing apart peoples beliefs just to do it.As for the racial thing. I think there is a bit of a double standard there between white and black, but who cares, it's all targeted to unite everyone in laughter.

RedAlertv2
Two years ago some students ditched class at my school and "protested" the Iraq war. But we all knew most of them were just skipping school. Cool for me, they made us stay in teh same class half the day and do nothing so no other students would leave.

Ou Be Low hoo
I took part in the 'Peace and Democracy' March in Taiwan on March 26th against China's disgusting and ridiculous 'Anti-Succession' Law along with over a million other people...

.:Space Opera:.
ive protested before against the word 'againt'

BullitNutz
I burned a flag to protest Bush. Well, me and about half a dozen of my good friends burned it. We realized rather quickly that we should have gotten a cotton flag as opposed to a nylon one. The display went by a bit too fast to make a really good impact on the counter-protesters.

FeceMan
Dogma had Jay and Silent Bob in it--are you telling me that you (anyone offended by it) are considering a movie with JAY and SILENT BOB in it as serious?

BackFire
The fate all flag burners deserve.

FeceMan
The fate all flag burners deserve.
Ahahaha, so true! I was going to post something...not nice, but I figured that I would bring a great reckoning on myself for--*GASP*!--showing pride in my country.

"omg u natoinalist freak u suxx0rz i hate ur country!!111!!!!11!!1111 but i cn show pride in my country cuz its not america"

Afro Cheese
When I was younger I used to think that if the flag touched the ground you had to burn it.. I forget where I got it from.

BackFire
That's true, actually.

Afro Cheese
I just figured it was made up because I've never seen anyone actually do it, and I've seen flags touch the ground plenty of times. I guess it's just one of those traditions nobody really keeps up anymore.

Lord S
I once protested, to Fox Kids, the cancellation of the Transformers, (back in '95). I sent a lengthy email expressing my thoughts and emotions about growing up with the series, and how vital it was to my daily functionality to watch that show...they simply brushed me off with a "Thanks for your input".

*Shrug*

FeceMan
Originally posted by Lord S
I once protested, to Fox Kids, the cancellation of the Transformers, (back in '95). I sent a lengthy email expressing my thoughts and emotions about growing up with the series, and how vital it was to my daily functionality to watch that show...they simply brushed me off with a "Thanks for your input".

*Shrug*
More proof of the evils of FOX, right?

Capt_Fantastic
I feel old. The Transformers were cancelled a long time before that. This whole: megatron is a tank and optimus prime is a gorilla bull shit...yeah...guess what?, that's not the transformers! The Transformers epic ended with Tranformers: The Move.

Capt_Fantastic
double post

ESP07
Having more cowbell.

BullitNutz
Originally posted by FeceMan
Ahahaha, so true! I was going to post something...not nice, but I figured that I would bring a great reckoning on myself for--*GASP*!--showing pride in my country.

"omg u natoinalist freak u suxx0rz i hate ur country!!111!!!!11!!1111 but i cn show pride in my country cuz its not america"

Actually, it was a symbolic representation of our duty as Americans to put the flag to it's proper rest as Bush had dragged it through the mud, squandering the outpouring of support and goodwill from the rest of the world after the WTC attacks, in order to throw us into a war we really didn't have any reason to start, other than "he tried to kill my daddy."

If you want to liberate people, Iraq isn't exactly the place to start. And it sure as hell isn't the only instance of an oppressive, totalitarian regime (and don't start your crap about thinking I'm going to list the US as one of them, because I'm not, douche.) in the world. However, we've apparently gone and screwed the pooch while shitting the bed on that one, so I'll just leave it at that and let you think about a response.

Cinemaddiction
Protest is pointless, I have come to learn. Contesting as where it's at.

BullitNutz
Protesting is something to do on a sunny day with nice weather.

Not to mention you get to be on TV once in a while.

Lord S
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I feel old. The Transformers were cancelled a long time before that. This whole: megatron is a tank and optimus prime is a gorilla bull shit...yeah...guess what?, that's not the transformers! The Transformers epic ended with Tranformers: The Move. Actually the original Transformers series was re-aired on Fox Kids back in 95...the cancellation of those re-runs was what I was protesting.

Also, the Transformers movie came after the second season...there were two more seasons that followed.

Line
Originally posted by AdventChild

usually, what makes a film 'great' is if it succeeds in raising relevant questions and creating debate. I doubt this can ever be done without offending certain groups of people or individuals, who doesn't agree with the films message or feel attacked by it. actually, I doubt you can ever make a film, great or otherwise, which doesn't, in one way or other, offend somebody. I mean, look at Harry Potter, for crying out loud! wink

Imperial_Samura
I would have protested the termination of the original comics if it were possible. The the Next Gen comics if that were possible. Sadly not. Now I have to be satisfied with the current comics (not really, I don't buy them)

tabby999
i handed out some flyers at school once, nothing like standing around with placards and signs, just giving flyers to people who were around me (oh and it was to get john howard voted out of parliment).

Imperial_Samura
Ah, an aim I agree with entirely. I did something similar. Sadly it was all for nought, as he is still there (and dare I say people are regretting it *cough-medicare-cough-interest rates-cough*)

colchestereldo
i went on a march in support of the miners in Central London when i was a university student. All the mines were being closed down, tens of thousands turned up on one of the wettest days i can ever remember. There were so many people in the march that by the time our section got to Hyde Park for the speeches, all the speakers had finished -- we arrived just in time to see the leader of the opposition walking the other way. Unfortunately, the mines closed anyway but it just felt like the right thing to do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.