why are people labeled

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil_lady_vamp
I don't see why someone has the right to label another just because they dress a certain way say it be goth,punk,prep etc... They don't know the people on the inside i know that as a teen i myself have probably done so but it still does not make any sense confused . why would anyone think that someone was a sertain way when they may not be that way at all. i don't see why.

42Bardock
Well maybe because they call themself that?
Yeah actually that is a good reason. But if you mean by label judge I agree. I don't think anyone should be put into categories.

peterKSL
There is no room, or less room for people to imagine, if one hasn't experience... they just judge.... I've been in both situations...

s|m
i had colleagues who labelled everyone, just like you said, because of how they dressed, or what type of music they listened to.
They formed a little 'group', and excluded those, like me, who hated the stuff they liked erm, and teased us.
I don't think anyone has the right to judge people.

Clovie
coz life is unfair erm

shugie99
I think people like to think that they can easily figure others out. They can't of course, but that doesn't stop us from categorizing people into very vague stereotypes.

lil bitchiness
Actually, the reason for the label is simpler than that - its not all about people being little sits, although i dont deny they aren't.

Basically the only way a person can feel ''normal'' is if they comare themselfs to someone else who is different in any way - if people are different, then insecure people can feel secure by singeling them out and pointing - look at them, they're different in such and such way, *I* am normal...

BackFire
Because people who are labeled generally fall inside of the group they are being labeled as. If they don't want to be labeled then they shouldn't dress like a goth/punk/nerd/retard/etc.

baracustastic
I label people because I need some way to distinguish people from each other. Imagine telling a story without making the people in the story different from each other. The story would become nonsensical.

Fire
Depends on what you call labelling?

baracustastic
man, woman, short, tall, fat, thin, bald, rasta, goth, ned, skateboarder, biker, black, white, asian, etc.

can also involve combinations i.e.

short, fat, bald, white man
tall, thin, black woman

s|m
Nerd/Goth/Punk/Skateboarer, etc.
i dont think i fit in any of those 'groups' messed

And by the way, what is "normal" erm?

Darth Revan
My friend is awful about that erm

We've known each other since middle school, but he really is a complete dumbass when it comes to this labelling thing. Besides which he can't even get his labels straight. Like the other day he called me a goth because I was wearing an APC t-shirt. no expression

Ronny
blink has he even heard APC?

Darth Revan
Doubtful. Though even if he has I don't think he realizes what "gothic" music sounds like. He calls a lot of things gothic...

Ronny
laughing out loud 'oh my god a black crayon, GOTH'

Darth Revan
Yeah, pretty much laughing out loud

Ronny
Notice anything different flirt

<*Cough*

Darth Revan
Yeah I saw droolio

Ronny
droolio you can do it to Nivvy

Emma718
labels are weird

Aku
I like being a punk. I reminds me that I am alternative, that I am not following a "cool" fashion but my own fashion. Originality is whats seperates us as humans.

Darth Revan
Being punk USED to be original, but it's become a bad cliche over the past few years... There's this kid who goes to my school who's a punk, and when he first came to the school only the other punks would talk to him. Now in the space of three years he's worked himself into the "popular" crowd, even though he still wears all the leather and has cool hairstyles and shit.

Deathblow
Punk died many years ago, now being a 'punk' is basically just a fashion statement. Anyone who still thinks they're punk nowadays is either deluded or Henry Rollins.

As for me, I peeled all the nasty labels off straight after high school. I'm clique-less happy

Bardock42
hmm me too, at least I wouldn't know if I got one.

KidRock
we have our "skaterboarder" kids at my school (i hate them). they are bascilly the sit around and smoke all day and barely come to class but still think by some stroke of luck they are going to be rich one day.

shaber
What do you think of the flesch kincaid labels?

SnakeEyes
i don't try to be cool at school ( i am a Freshman ) and i do not really fit into a label. Some people might think i am geeky, but my friends and i are pretty cool. We have started a band, and we do some cool Jackass type stunts, but we never flaunt our coolness at school. I am in Honors classes, yet my friends and i always pull pranks on the popular kids at school.

A4E
yes

Soth
I have 3 labels: normal, poser, and dumbass. If you like are different than who you are, then you're a poser. Dumbasses can't help being dumbasses. End of story

Aku
Theres not really alot you do like is there kid?

Anywayz, there was a time when punks were the cool things to be but they have always been an alternative fashion statement. And theres quite a few different types of punks nowadays and for the people who can't tell the difference......(may only apply to UK)

-Goth (Duh!)
-Greb (Rocker)
-Mini-Mosher (Young/Fake Rocker)
-Old-School Punk (Like the 80's types)
-New-Gen Punk (Similar to surfers)
-Pop-Punkers (Similar to mini-moshers)
-Skaters (Skateboard/BMX/Blades etc...)

mouth
i guess people would lable me as a hippie / rastafarian..

Afro Cheese
I agree with backfire, don't dress like a goth/punk/whatever and then complain when people label you. You labeled yourself by making yourself identical to the other members of that group. And goths/punks label people more than anyone else in my experience, anyone who doesn't dress/act like them is a prep or conformist.

botankus
People label less and less as you get older and you care about them less and less as well. That's one of the bright spots about getting older. big grin

Sadako of Girth
I've always thought Over-Labelling stems for Lazyness/Lack of insight/Jadedness of the part of the Labeller....Ahhh what a magical combination....

Sadako of Girth
Also true. Well said.... yes

KharmaDog
It isn't your own fashion if you dress to some ascribed definition (i.e. punk). Originality should come from behaviour or beliefs more so than appearance.

People judge, everyone does it. Those who say that they don't are either lying to themselves or to everyone else. We are social beings and judging others is a way that people decide to which group they will congregate to or avoid in order to feel safety or acceptance. People judge others to define or rank themselves in a social situation. People judge others to reaffirm or challenge their own beliefs.

Accepting the fact that others will judge you and label you is one of the first steps to becoming a content person. I know that people will look at me and judge me. I am very tall (6'9) with a muscular build, people either avoid me or are attracted to me because of that. That's beyond my control so I don't worry about it. However, the image that I put forth by the means that I communicate with others and how I dress is under my control.

If you put youself in a situation that isolates you based on beliefs or appearance you will be judged, but what is more important is how you respond to it. To be judged is one thing, to confirm or challenge others' beliefs based on their previous judgement on you is your responsibility if you so choose to accept it.

Silver Stardust
I was always labeled as a nerd/geek in high school...but that was more because of the things I liked (sci-fi, anime, Star Wars, RPGs, cosplay, video games, etc) and the fact that I never really kept quiet about these interests of mine, than how I dressed. I still got picked on all the time because of the stuff I liked, though. Then again, I went to a VERY clique-oriented high school and didn't care less about the stuff that was popular...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.