Wolverine's Capabilities.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IRTMU-Dragon
What does he really have?
800 pounds worth of strength, medium regernative powers, and unbreakable bones...
So whats the deal with all these people saying he is powerful enough to pierce through a symbiote, and he could survive his own self with admantium if he didnt have admanitum...

What is Wolverine truly capable of? Surviving the sun? Only with the phoenix force... lets compile and argue about everything we may or may not believe about Wolverine, and put a rest to this Fanboyism, or not Fanboyism, that is the question.

Dazzler619
A combination of strength,unbreakable bones,and super smell sense

ScarletSpider
He's the best he is at what he does, bub!

Really, I'm tired of him too, just too much exposure. This month in Invaders, Namor should have beat the shit out of him, instead he gets stabbed and wusses out because of blood loss or something. WEAK.

pr1983
your shittin me? namor? he'd squash logan...

Mainstream
Namor the marvel aquaman dude..I hear he's pretty tough.

pr1983
he squared up to hulk... and won...

Rave X
Plus he's a great fighter, he's fast and he's the best at everything he does! Can't help it man, he's just great.

Bardock42
Logan's decent. Hios just a little overhyped right now. And his healing abilities keep getting better and better, which is weride.

Zahit
You may not realize this, but Wolverine's origin has been updated.....
He's not actually a mutant. At a very young age, James (Logan) Howlett
was bitten by a radioactive fanboy at the Pulp-Con 1885. Since then
his powers increase in direct proportion to his sales figures and
popularity. The more comics he sells, the faster his healing factor
responds. The more popular he gets, the stronger and more
powerful he becomes. Truly the superman of our generation.

Rave X
laughing

I like Wolverine, but you are right.
Though because he is very popular, I (a big X-men/ Wolvie fan before the movie's or whatever) don't start to dislike him just because he's popular. They should keep Wolverine Wolverine and not Superman.

drex
wolvie is the best man! he has claws and everything!

Bardock42
Actually he was a little overhyped before the movies already, I agree though he is cool, I mean he is canadian, what do you expect

pr1983
i never liked him...

ayjay
i like wolvy..but yeeh...the whole surviving a nuke kinda killed the coolness...i like the fact he can repair skin that's been burnt or blown away....but a nuke....no...thats stupid.....

Havoc470
it was just one damn issue, every characters had a really bad issue, in the year 2025 people are still gonna be like "yeah wolverine, that nuke issue really made me lose interest"

2004 was his anniversary so people want to celebrate that, since when were comics taken so seriously where characters are only judged by their worst comic? what about spider-ham?

as for wolvie beating namor, guys, he slashed namor across the chest and face, then stabbed his 7-inch claws into namors stomach and flashed his chest again, wolvie is also under the influence of hydra/the hand and he's way more deadly than ever

obviously im a wolvie fan, and yes he does appear in alot of comics, stop blaming the character as if its a person, blame the writers and quesada for wanting him in their comics

Havoc470
http://tinypic.com/1fy5hj

and i guess its the characters fault huh, although the writer had the idea to incorporate wolvie into his comic and do that to namor.....

oh yeah, heres the second slash after he gutted namor
http://tinypic.com/1fy61w

Bardock42
Well we are taslkijng aboot the character though of course4 it is the writers fault but that makes the character sworse.
Just because some writer made Superman Gay and Stupid, I still do't like Supes.

dami wilson
they need to kill him off like they did superman! Its so stupid! The artists are all brian fed on making wolverine super cool. Stan Lee created owlverine and several superheroes and he can tell who can win n cant win won?

Bardock42
What?

Anyway, killing himn off like superman would suck.
I think Superman should have been killed like Barry Allen who agrees?

radioboy121
True, otherwise many of the DC characters would have been killed off decades ago. I believe they were hoping the Crisis would eventually take a number of their old characters away, such as Flash (he was fading away during the Crisis and his supposed spirit appeared to Hal Jordan), but I guess it never was meant to be.

Superman's death was a feat due to his character's durability and among other things. Wolverine's healing has allowed his character to be buried plenty of times, but never killed off completely.

Zahit
I don't hate on Wolverine. I've always thought Wolverine
was one the coolest characters in the history of comics.
I just don't like the way Marvel has essentially mandated to their writers
that they cannot depict Wolverine being beaten by anyone so as not
to upset the X-Fanboys. This would potentially hurt sales.
This has led to the horribly inconsistent writing of Wolverine's character and powers.
In one book Wolverine gets multiple gunshots to the neck and doesn't
even flinch, in another Daredevil kicks him across the living room,
in yet another he takes 2 punches square in the face from Namor
and doesn't even fall or move back. Wolverine is supposed to be among
the best skilled combatants in the world. These days all he does is take
hits like he's the Hulk then hacks away showing little of his vaunted fighting skills.
He dove head-first at a Namor waiting for him with a steel girder
in his hands. That doesn't sound like fighting skills to me.
Is he a highly skilled mutant who heals fast? Is he a Kryptonian?
Is he a herald of Galactus? Which is it?
Lately that all depends on who's writing the book.
That is not consistent.

radioboy121
Wolverine using his savagery before martial arts and among other skills has been demonstrated since the beginning, so even though he is capable, he doesn't always utilize it, which sometimes leads him to failure. Remember, he is usually classified more often the bar brawler than a cunning operative. I would personally like to see him use more stealth, but the "in your face approach" is more often favored in writing.

I haven't read the most recent of comics of Wolverine, but it does sound like he's becoming incredibly inconsistent. I'm sure he can challenge a number of the specified characters such as Namor, Thing, etc., but the actions and results made out would be laid out differently. But then again, certain aspects such as characters injuring their hand when hitting Wolverine has been incredibly inconsistent for a long time. By all likelihood, characters like Captain America should have broken their hands, but it doesn't always show this.

Zahit
You should read the last several issues of Wolverine and New Invaders #6.

I never said he couldn't pose a threat to Namor or Thing.
It's just that lately they write him as shrugging their punches off or
taking them out with one shot. That's just not right.
Even with adamantium-laced skeleton and rapid healing,
a full-on punch from someone that strong would realistically kill or
at least knock-out wolverine, let alone send him flying.
I'm not critisizing Wolverine. He's one of my favorites.
I'm critisizing Marvel and their writers....
You tell me how Daredevil can send Wolvie flying across a living room,
but Namor can't knock him down with 2 punches?!?
Explain how Thing can take beat downs from the Hulk and keep
fighting back, but one stab from Wolvie between chest & shoulder
puts him on his hands & knees?!?
That's what I mean by inconsistent.

radioboy121
Well, a one punch knock-out, even though logically this should happen due to Wolverine's vital organs hardly is ever demonstrated. He's taken hits from Spiderman and Rogue without much effect, and having taken slugs from the likes of Sasquatch, Wendigo, and Hulk and still remained conscious to dish out his own. Despite his relative mass, he's hardly ever shown flying either, with exception of cases like the Imperial Guard midget that rocketed him with a sucker punch.

There is no true explanation, except possibly the momentum of Wolverine catching himself perhaps, but even then that isn't enough justification. Stabbing and hitting also have different effects and his adamantium claws are very sharp that little pressure needs to be applied to show relative big results. Thing has shown to be vulnerable to Wolverine's claws before when the New Fantastic Four was formed to capture Human Torch.

Zahit
I definitely think getting stabbed by Wolvie would hurt Thing a lot
and even make him stagger back and/or stop in his tracks.
But to fall down forward on his hands and knees??? Call me crazy,
but if someone in front of you stabs you between the shoulder & chest,
I highly doubt you'll fall forward into doggie-style position!!!
That's EXACTLY what happened in that book.
Wolvie stabs Thing. Thing assumes doggie-style position.
What the F--k is that about??? You see my point?

pr1983
guys, most people here know i detest wolverine... thats just the way i am, its personal preference. but i have never underrated his abilities in a fight, the guy is a badass in every sense of the word. he's an invaluable member of the x-men (and the avengers nowadays) and the x-men wouldnt be the same without him.

now, as for blaming the writers, havok is right in hsi own way. the writers are the ones who make these characters what they are, but they all stick to a general outline i.e. claws, healing factor, bad attitude. its the character in the long run that we like or dislike, not writers (bendis being the exception... pr*ck.). marvels top level heroes (not including the godly ones) are the hulk, thor, surfer and many others, including Namor, who might be slightly lower than them but pretty damn close. Wolverine is not in this group imo. He's more spideys level. showing him trading blows successfully with Namor is exceptionally bad writing imo. I'm sure adamantium can cut namor, i don't dispute that, but i'm quite sure Namor would be able to take down Logan before the adamantium becomes a factor.

Alpha Centauri
I've only ever liked a handful of X-Men, if that.

Wolverine, Psylocke......Colossus.

-AC

long pig
Wolverine was made to be the "underdog" of the marvel universe (girls think hes ugly usually...he never can get the ones he wants.
He's 5'3, no superhuman strength or speed. The appeal of Wolverine was the fact he could, by using his brains and claws...take on really tough people and sometimes win. When he was first introduced he lost in fights...ALOT...but never gave up.
now its like hes friggin hulk with claws, its annoying.
Just like wolverines in the wild, you dont underestimate them no matter if theyre 2ft tall and 60 pounds, they kill bears regularly. And fear nothing.
but if you make that wolverine the size of a tiger , it just becomes a bully. remember wolvie takin on thanos? ahaha that was retarded
no one beats thanos

Alpha Centauri
Wolverine is like the Marvel poster boy that never was.

I always thought the X-Men was Wolverine and Friends anyway, to a high degree.

I think they should just erase all the millions of X-Men series out, reform one true group of X-Men, sensible number. 6-8 and have done with it.

-AC

Evolution-cubed
I have some old issues of X men, Spider Man, and the like, Wolverine at one time was supposed to be, the Best at what he does! For me, it ment his only powers, quick healing factor, adamantium skeleton and claws and his superior fighting ability. I have Marvel Universe from the early 80s( those comics that list the beings from Marvel and his/her powers) and that almost the same thing the attributed to him. That's why he had this appeal. I don't have that many powers but I will bring it and for a good number of the marvel universe there were very few that could contend with him. Now... like it was said earlier, these writers have lost what made marvel great... the story lines and character development. Instead they have become obsessed with keeping the kids happy. It's almost like he has become Soops(superman). The Kids couldn't stand to see their beloved superman taking whippin, thus DC was more for the kids that could not handle character development and a good story.

radioboy121
Well, Jean had on and off hit on him. I guess it was his ruggedness among other things that made her attracted to him, and vice versa. Despite the proclamation of anonymous males say about his appearance, actually a number of anonymous females do find him appealing. Must be the animal magnetism.

Well, even during the pre-crisis, if you took a line like the beginning of the Justice League comics, all the members got captured and tricked on a regular basis from either superpowered beings or your run of the mill evil genius human. Talk about lame.

KharmaDog
I used to like wolvie, but it just became too much. To see him stand there and trade blows with guys like Hulk, Juggy, Sasquatch, Wendigo, or Namor is ridiculous. Having superior healing power and a bad attitude is one thing, but if any of those guys hit him he'd cave in or at least get knocked out cold, at which point any of those dudes could rip him in half.

I like to see an underdog win, but to consistantly show up the powerhouses of the marvel universe like that is just ridiculous. And the whole hulk thing was a joke.

IRTMU-Dragon
Ya, Wolverine really beat Namor.

Sure.

IRTMU-Dragon
WOW THATS SMALL...
How do I make this pic bigger?

Anyways, thats namor throwing the hulk back a couple hundered feet with one punch.

Lord S
I like Wolverine too, but talk about overkill.

He's no longer among my favourite characters...but there was a time when he was. Once upon a time he was tough, he was cynical, and he could be crude and ruthless. He also, however, genuinely cared about his teammates and friends under the gruff exterior. He was a badass to be sure, but he could be defeated. Then, Marvel turned him into their resident cash-cow and used him in virtually every imaginable battle against every imaginable foe. What made Wolverine so popular from the beginning was lost over time. His courage was made a parody of itself when he was made a bloodthirsty killer.

People admired the character because he'd throw himself headlong into just about any fight, even if he knew he was going to get his butt handed to him, but he did so for a reason, usually to assist or rescue a teammate or comrade. Then Marvel started with that, "I'm the best there is at what I do" crap, which sounded ridiculous since Sabretooth routinely beat the bugsnot out of him, and they essentially did the same things. Suddenly, Wolverine could go toe-to-toe with the likes of the Hulk, who is much more powerful and durable than Sabretooth could ever hope to be... but Sabretooth could still kick the crap out of Wolverine. It just didn't make sense.

I haven't taken much of an interest in him in a while...and I know I'm probably not missing much.

Zahit
unfortunately......your not missing much.

Evolution-cubed
Not really, Sabretooth vs. Wolverine usually ends in a stalemate. Believe me, I am aware of the Marvel trying to make Wolverine invincible but some of the heros and villians mentioned, Sasquatch, Thing, Wendigo, and some others, they are not great fighters. Don't look at it, Because He is bigger and stronger than Wolverine, then so and so should win(with the exception of the Hulk). When it comes down to it, his combat/fighting knowledge makes it possible to go head on with some of these giants. I'm not commenting on what Marvel has down with the character, I am commenting on why it is possible for him to do what he does. First and foremost being because... It's A Comic!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.