Darth Malak vs. Darth Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CountQuan
WHo would win??? I would say Maul.

SnakeEyes
Hmmmm, this is pretty tough. I am almost inclined to say Malak, because he was one of the most powerful of his time and it took Revan to defeat...

Darth_Nefarus
Darth Maul was more devoted to the Sith culture than most before him. If Anakin had the dicipline and focus Maul had, there never would have been an empire.

CountQuan
I would say Maul because he's quicker but its weird how he killed a master but got killed by a padawan.

SnakeEyes
That happened to Maul because he was cocky and arrogant. Its not that weird, he underestimated Obi-wan after disposing of his master. Malak seems more powerful in the Force than Maul. He seems like the Darth Vader of his era.

CountQuan
To be honest, I never saw Malak fight so i dont know. But i think Malak is worth a fight for Maul.

Delfedd
Oh... wait... i want to change it to maul. It would be a fight forever, but maul is younger and would live longer, and eventually malak would drop dead from age.

wink

ArthasKnight
Malak would whip Maul, come on now. Malak was one of the most powerful Sith ever, the only Sith that bested him was Darth Revan (or yourself if you pick that path). Maul has no chance here.

StinkFist462
malak ....

SnakeEyes
I also must say Malak

CountQuan
I disagree because if Malak was better than they would have replaced maul with malak in OPhantom Menace.

ArthasKnight
No, seeing as how Malak existed thousands of years before The Phantom Menace. Could never happen.

SnakeEyes
Do you have any EU knowledge?

eleveninches
Who was malak?

SnakeEyes
He is from the Star Wars game, Knights of the Old Republic. (The main bad guy, very powerful)

Bardock42
There are so many good SW games out there. When exactly was that. I guess before Darth Bane right?

SnakeEyes
4000 years before the events of Episode One

Rubber_Ducketh
Movie Made = 98
Game Made = 2003

now tell me how malak could have replaced maul in ep 1

and btw maul = kickass of malak any day

SnakeEyes
Maul = kickass of malak?

I cannot honestly say i know what that means...

CountQuan
Darth Maul is better way better

eleveninches
exar kun and ulic qel droma was around the same time period. did they ever meet with malak??

ArthasKnight
Exar Kun I believe was killed before Malak fell to the Dark side, I dunno about Ulic though.

Julie
Malak

RaYzor
Since I beat Darth Malak so easily in the game ... I would have to say Darth Maul.

CountQuan
wow good reason ( sarcastically)

Delfedd
You mean "killed"

Tormentor_2004
Maul gets my vote

SnakeEyes
^ Yet Malak would win

Darth_Janus
Let's see...

Exar Kun and Ulic were dead before Malak's time. Not too far ahead, but still beforehand.

I've seen Darth Maul in action. Pretty acrobatic and impressive. But not worthy of an ancient Sith Lord. I don't recall him exercising the Force very much, or to his advantage, and for those who have played KotoR to completion will recall Malak's casual handling of two Jedi just before the final battle. It's not about direct fighting, even though I'm sure Malak would be a finer, more agile swordsman in the long run, with more experience... it's about power. And Malak has power. He can control the daunting Star Forge, which no one else who tried could besides his superior, Revan.

Tormentor_2004
Maul wins.

Darth_Janus
And you have this based on what? Malak destroyed two Jedi Knights without even having to use his saber on board the Star Forge. Maul couldn't whup Qui Gon and Obi Wan. Hardly a match here.

SnakeEyes
Yeah....ummmmm... no...

Bardock42
Are you sure he is called DARTH Malak? I mean 4000 years before Ep. 1 well thats still 3000 before Darth Bane.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, he's Darth Malak. Play the game and get back to me.

ArthasKnight
I'm gonna have to change my vote, I believe Maul would win. Malak is a wuss with a lightsaber and Maul was trained to fight two Jedi at once.

Sith_lord_Exar
Malark,but it would be a tought fight but i would say malark in the end

Darth_Nefarus
Maul would win based on the fact he was trained to use the darkside when the darkside was actually growing more powerful than the lightside, thus making him much more powerful. Malak was hardass, but he didn't live during the rise of the empire, the shining moment for the darkside.

SnakeEyes
lol, "Malark"
laughing

ArthasKnight
You must mean Malak? Malark...no. eek!

Darth_Janus
The rise of Sidious is the shining period for the darkside? Say what?

And Maul was hardly as dangerous as Malak. Let's compare accomplishments:

Maul tracked down and harassed two Jedi.

Malak waged open war with the Republic and decimated the planet of Taris.

Maul managed to kill Qui Gon but fell to thehands of Obi Wan.

Malak defeated all Jedi who came before him except for his superior former master, Revan.

Maul's destiny, despite all his training and reputed badassness, consisted of removing Qui Gon Jinn from the big picture.

Malak's destiny included the Jedi Civil War which meant the destruction of the Jedi Order as it was once known. Malak also controlled the mighty Star Forge and was competent in his own right to remain a Sith lord for some time.

I swear, some of you place way too much emphasis on the movies, especially in a EU forum. Consider the possibility, for a moment, that the movies were made with a limited history and with the possibility that they would stand alone on their own, not breed numerous offshoots.

Now, with that in mind, consider again how impressive other Sith Lords have been. Take a moment, think on it. And reconsider giving Maul more props than he is due.

Darth_Nefarus

Of course, think about it, the Sith retake control of the galaxy. I know Maul was but a pawn in that, but you can't say Malak could ever compare to Sidious when it comes to being a bad ass Sith

ArthasKnight
Originally posted by Darth_Janus

And Maul was hardly as dangerous as Malak. Let's compare accomplishments:

Maul tracked down and harassed two Jedi.

Malak waged open war with the Republic and decimated the planet of Taris.

Maul managed to kill Qui Gon but fell to thehands of Obi Wan.

Malak defeated all Jedi who came before him except for his superior former master, Revan.

Maul's destiny, despite all his training and reputed badassness, consisted of removing Qui Gon Jinn from the big picture.

Malak's destiny included the Jedi Civil War which meant the destruction of the Jedi Order as it was once known. Malak also controlled the mighty Star Forge and was competent in his own right to remain a Sith lord for some time.

I swear, some of you place way too much emphasis on the movies, especially in a EU forum. Consider the possibility, for a moment, that the movies were made with a limited history and with the possibility that they would stand alone on their own, not breed numerous offshoots.

Now, with that in mind, consider again how impressive other Sith Lords have been. Take a moment, think on it. And reconsider giving Maul more props than he is due.

All of your points are valid, but allow me to do a little editing.

-Maul tracked down and harassed two Jedi.

-Maul managed to kill Qui-Gon but fell at the hands of Obi-Wan.

-Malak defeated all Jedi who came before him except Revan.

Now, as you can see I removed some topics here. Why? Yes Malak found the Star Forge, waged war on the Republic, and began the Jeid Civil War which was responsible for the deaths of hundreds if not thousands of Jedi Knights. But how many did Malak kill personally? His soldiers did most of the work for him, Malak was merely a behind-the-scenes General. He did not destroy Taris, the Leviathan destroyed Taris; Malak merely gave the order to have Taris destroyed.

In terms of personal accomplishment, we have the following:

-Maul killed Qui-Gon Jinn and very nearly killed Obi-Wan Kenobi but failed simply because he became overconfident. I think we can all agree that Maul technically won that fight because had he not been toying with Obi-Wan, he would have won.

-Malak, from what we know, killed two Jedi Knights onboard the Star Forge as well as those Jedi that were part of the enclave on Dantooine AFTER it was bombarded, meaning the many Jedi were probably already dead. We don't know how many Jedi he killed (unless you count the 8 imprisoned Jedi seen during the final battle).

Plus, we don't know if the Jedi that Malak killed were Padawans, Knights, or Masters. Yes, whichever they were infuences the opinion of his strength because 8 Knights would be harder to kill than 8 Padawans. Add that to the fact that we don't know if Maul killed any Jedi prior to Episode 1 and we have a very large gap of uncertainty.

So we have the final tally in terms of Jedi killed:

Maul: 1 (technically two) that we know of
Malak: 10 at least

But strength doesn't simply come from how many things you've killed does it? It comes from fighting technique and your ability to use the Force. We haven't seen anything that could give us an idea of how skilled with the Force Maul is, nor have we seen anything substantial from Malak.

At best, it's difficult to compare the two fairly.

Darth_Nefarus
Very well put good sir.
I guess we'll have to wait for a comic or something.

SnakeEyes
I doubt they will ever release a comic of that battle... unfortunately, because it would be cool.

Cascador
Let's not forget another thing...Maul only killed one Jedi techically...why...because he wasn't allowed to expose himself. Picture that more Jedi would be at the blockade. Maul's overconfidence wouldn't even be there as he knows he has to focus on the Jedi...He was just overconfident that compared to his skill, killing a Padawan is nothing. But he just didn't know that this Padawan would become one of the greatest Jedi of all (who also educated the greatest Sith of all...Ironic lol)

Darth_Nefarus
Just because we only saw him kill one Jedi, that doesn't mean that we know crap about how well skilled he is.
You could argue Qui-Gonn had a lot of skill since Dooku was his teacher, and we all know Dooku is hard a**.
And, for a padawan, Obi-Wan did an admirable job of standing up to a fully trained Sith Lord.

Revan Darkstar
I would have to say Malak, you have to remember that before you face him on the Star Forge, you see him slaughter 2 Jedi like it is nothing. He also defeats Bastila who is supposed to be all good. Darth Maul on the other hand was beaten by a 20 year old Obi-Wan Kenobi, he also seemed to have little control of the force, I can hear the people protesting but wait a minute. Malak used drain life, force storm, kill etc., what did Maul do? He tossed a metal can at the door to open it, I think he's a great fighter, but not very balanced, Malak is more balanced, thus Malak would win.

Darth_Nefarus
But just because we haven't seen Maul do things, doesn't make him less powerful

Darth_Janus
But it also doesn't make him more powerful. We are in a position where we have to take what we are given. And with Maul, it's precious little.

xX Revan Xx
Ok I am going to have to say Malak beacause he was a sith lord and he was powerful enough to control the star forge. The only person that could beat Malak is Revan..

jackstain
Well obviously none of you have read anything on Darth Maul, nor know anyhting about him other than what you see in the movies. Read Darth Maul' journal, or Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.(hunter being a longer, better book, and a more efficient source of Maul ass-kickery) and also the four-issue comic series on Darth Maul, titled Darth Maul. Once you learn all you can about the s.o.b. , you won't know his true bad-arse-ness.....Maul would win.

jackstain
Once you learn all you can about the s.o.b. , you won't know his true bad-arse-ness

I meant to say once you learn all about him, you WILL know his true bad-arse-ness

Revan Darkstar
actually I have read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and yes Maul did kill 2 jedi in that book, a master and a apprentice (sp?). But Malak killed off the two jedi on the Star Forge FAR easier than Maul could even dream of, and I would have to say that both jedi were at least Knights or possibly masters, would they send along a half trained jedi to kill the dark lord of the sith? I think not. Luke is an exception and the jedi had no other choice. Malak also slew Mandalorians in the Mandalarian War and likely engaged in saber combat, if Revan killed Madalore, Malak probably killed the #2, spectulation, yes, but very likely. And it would be a good fight, but Malak had a lot more experience and power, he would win

Darth Revan33
you guys seem to be forgetting (or dont know) that Maul also whiped out all of Black Sun and returned unscathed. And yes i have read shadow hunter and Maul does kill a jedi master, a jedi padawan, and a deadly bounty hunter. So its really hard to tell since we never really saw just how powerful (yet foolish) Maul really is.

Tormentor_2004
Im with Maul

Revan Darkstar
deadly bounty hunter? excuse me but Lorn Paven was no bounty hunter, he was a drunk, former jedi secretary who got fired, not a bounty hunter. And sure Maul killed lots of Black Sun assassins, but I think that almost any jedi knight could have killed off several assassins. I also think that the Mandalorians would be more dangerous than a bunch of assassins, the mandalorians were trained killers (yes the assassins were too I know that), but if the Mandalorians weren't stopped they would have taken over the galaxy, Black Sun could not have done that. The mandalorians also were kicking the republics ass and this was in the age when the republic was strong and actually had a military. Again Black Sun could not have done that. Nope sorry, Malak wins

Darth_Nefarus
I think Maul could take out some Mandolorians and I think he would take out Malak.

Darth_Janus
Well, while I think that Maul was a capable fighter, I wonder if his teachings and styles will compare with Malak, a Sith Lord in the Golden Era of the Jedi?

Kun-ni Habeo
malak would win i mean he was sith lord come on guys smile))

Darth Revan33
Lorn Pavan wasn't the bounty hunter. It was Mawhi Lihnn. Yes, this is the only book she was in but she was a good bounty hunter. she was firing her twin blasters so fast that Maul could only deflect them, he couldn't redirect them back at her. Then she went to hit her rocket launcher and before she could even press it, Maul busted through the wall and was gone before it fired. That's pretty impressive.

Revan Darkstar
if you think its impressive to defeat a bounty hunter, I would hate to hear what you think about Revan or the Exile, killing sith lords and jedi. Or for that matter, Malak. Malak killed jedi with no problem, and jedi are a bit harder than a bounty hunter, he also had no problem deflecting bolts fired by Carth on the Levithan from about 8 feet away, probably closer than Maul was. And about Maul running fast, watch the start of TPM again, where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan deflect the destroyer driod bolts and then run away so fast you can't see them, its a basic, padawan move, not something that only a sith lord learns.

Darth Revan33
Hey, I'm not saying Malak was weak, I just think Maul is a little stronger. I don't think you give bounty hunters enough credit. After all Jango for instance killed at least 1, had another at his mercy (trained by Count Dooku even), and defeated Obi-Wan. Besides, you said Malak killed jedi with no problem but Maul did too. He killed 3 and had another at his mercy. Besides Maul was wounded shortly before his fight with Qui-Gon on Tatooine. And when Maul was deflecting the blasts he was in point blank range, even closer than Carth and Malak and she just moved her hand close to her rocket and all of a sudden there were big holes in the walls where Maul had just gone through, and then she hit the button. That's way faster than Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.
Anyway, I'm just trying to let people know more of Maul's accomplishments, I think the battle would be really close.

Darth_Janus
Jango did not ever defeat Obi Wan. Obi Wan was first off, trying to capture the bounty hunter. Secondly, if hsi son hadn't fired the ship's laser on Obi, Jango might not have made it to the arena.

And bounty hunters may seem incredible, but we're talking Jedi here. Or Sith, even. They're what you would call superior.

Darth Revan33
Very good points, but it still would have been a close fight even without Boba's help. On a side note, I read in the Star Wars timeline that in a story called Ressurection from Star Wars tales #9 that a clone of Maul fought Vader. Vader battles the Maul clone being taunted all the while. Finally, when it seems Vader is about to be defeated, he pulls his lightsaber to him and ignites it, cutting through his own metal body into Maul behind him. Maul is dead once again.

Now Vader was definitely stronger than Malak and Maul must be pretty strong to compete with Vader like that. I know this isn't the best support, but I think it does help a little bit.

Kun-ni Habeo
malak would win

Darth_Janus
I don't think Vader is stronger than Malak. Anakin in ROTS, yes. Vader? Uh uh.

Darth Revan33
well, I'm just saying that Malak lost badly to Count Dooku in a versus thread and Count Dooku lost badly to Vader.

Revan Darkstar
Dooku lost badly to the RotS Vader, pre-suit, I consider him and ESB Vader basically two different people in the same body if that makes sense. RotS Vader would whip anyone, ESB Vader would beat most knights and padawans, but would lose to most masters. Actually he would likely lose to some knights as well, when you watch the duel you see Luke actually hits his shoulder, wounding him. So ESB and RotJ Vader is actually not that great.
And Maul, he had the potential to beat Malak, but he was only 20 and hadn't been in near as many battles and such as Malak had. Malak had far more experience, which would help lead him to victory.
Also about the versus comics, personally I don't have alot of faith in them, some of the things are just impossible, for example, Boba Fett wounding Vader, no matter how weak Vader is, he is still the chosen one, killer of the jedi, Fett could not wound him even if he is the best bounty hunter and has killed other jedi.

Julie
Maul is winning...I don't believe this....

Darth_Janus
Well, a lot of people probably voted first, saw Maul, recognized him. Saw Malak... didn't like him/didn't recognize him. A fair poll would be one where we would all discuss it for a few days and then vote.

Revan Darkstar
but still, Maul winning wacko

Julie
yeah my thoughts exactly....poor malak so underappreciated

Darth_Nefarus
I think Maul is better than everyone thinks, but the more I think about it, his overconfidence would allow Malak to kick his ass

jackstain
i hate how, because maul was overconfident at one instance.....it immediately becomes his undisputed overall trait.

Darth_Janus
Well, it is a serious trait. I don't know many overconfident soldiers from major wars, do you? Living, that is?

Darth Revan33
I sort of agree with jackstain even though he's kind of wrong. From the movies, yeah that was his only mistake. However, in Shadow Hunter he was so focused on trying to kill the Jedi Master that he almost didn't realize that he was going to try to blow them both up. Maul just barely got out alive. Also Maul didn't even notice that Lorn Pavan had encased himself in carbonite. Maul's obsession of killing Jedi is so strong that it is a weakness.

Darth_Janus
An excellent point to bring up whereever Maul's name is mentioned on this forum.

jackstain
truu truu...i agree with u guys, but cmon, hes still amazing. Happy Dance

Darth_Janus
He is a badass. I won't doubt that.

Darth_Glentract
Malak wins hands down. He had to be very powerful because Revan choose him as his apprentice even thought he had hundreds, maybe thousands of corrupted Jedi to choose from.

Darth Destroyer
I going with Malak on this one he was a sith lord Maul was just an apprentice and it took Revan to beat Malak.

jackstain
but maul was a sith lord. read his journal.

Darth_Janus
A sith lord in a time of relatively weak Sith lords. Malak was THE Sith lord after Revan in a time of perpetual war and thousands of great Jedi and Sith. Big difference there. It's like saying the president of South Africa and the president of France have the same militaristic power.

jackstain
and to this, i say...... Happy Dance Happy DanceHappy DanceHappy DanceHappy DanceHappy Dance

Darth_Glentract
Revan had thousands of corrupted Jedi to choose as an apprentice and would reasonably choose the best one. This shows that Malak had to be the best out of thousands of Jedi Knights. I think this alone shows Malak to be one of the strongest ever.

Darth Revan33
I have turned to the dark side. Er, I mean Malak's side. Sorry, been watching the movies to much...

Darth_Glentract
yes, malak is your new master now

Darth Mantis
Malak recieved training from Revan, so are doubting Revan's teaching's

Fishy
Malak... If you want to know why, read the thread... Basicly everything said about Malak in there is why i think Malak would win

Darth_Janus
We have gained a new ally this day. The dark side is stronger now.

Jedi_KnightAlly
Malak would bury Maul.
How could Maul be a sith lord? or are both the master and apprentice sith lords?

Kun-ni Habeo
well vader is apprentice

Darth Mantis
Malak, hands down. Revan taught him, what else do you need?

jackstain
Sidious taught Maul. and i dont care what anyone says, Sidious is extremely better than Revan.

Darth Mantis
What ever I said before.

jackstain
thanks, at least sumone does.

Darth_Nefarus
I agree, Sidious would waste Revan

Darth_Nefarus
but I dunno if Maul could, it would be a close fight

jackstain
Maul take Revan...no.

Maul take Malak...understatement.

Darth Mantis
Maul is pretty good.

Darth_Janus
Sidious isn't extremely better than Revan. If he was, he would have openly attacked Jedi knights and destroyed them in legion. The old fart had Annie (Little Annie) and about a bajillion clone troopers killing Jedi. Devious, clever, but ultimately WEAK.

Man is good, I give you that, but he's no warrior Sith lord.

Darth Mantis
Good point. If he was so strong he would not care if a few scattered jedi opposed him. rolling on floor laughing

jackstain
He has his own style....which happens to have worked. He's better IMHO....a lot better.

Darth_Janus
He has his own style. Wow, let me rethink my decision.

Uh, no.

Sidious was not able to openly challenge and defeat every Jedi who came up against him. If he was that badass, he would have done away with Anakin and been the only Force user alive.

kid-adi-mundi
close but id say maul.no malak

Darth_Janus
Alright, to be a fair guy, I went and watched Maul's fight scene at the end of the Phantom Menace. And it was a lot better than I remember. Maul was very acrobatic and deft, and he at least appeared to be in some measure of control, though his restlessness and overconfidence would ultimately be his glaring weaknesses. (Not as if Malak isn't overconfidant and restless)

And looking at all his moves, his stance, his face even as he fought, Maul's good. But I seriously doubt he can compare with Malak's experience. In terms of experience, Maul is akin to an army cadet one year or two out of training, whereas Malak is a captain who's made a military career out of his experiences.

Jaster Fett
Maul would win he probably has much better saber skills and he does have great force powers it just is not shown in the movie BECAUSE HE DIDN'T NEED TO USE THEM, so i say Maul would kill him

Fishy
He didn't need them? He freaking died, he needed them... He needed them badly, if you are stupid enough to let an opponent defeat you because you think you don't need to use the force then your not much of a fighter to begin with...

Malak was, he knew better then to make mistakes from all the combat experience he has seen, he has fought more opponents then Maul could even hope of and he always won. Besides he has a lot more experience then Maul

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Jaster Fett
Maul would win he probably has much better saber skills and he does have great force powers it just is not shown in the movie BECAUSE HE DIDN'T NEED TO USE THEM, so i say Maul would kill him

Let me dissect this hastily written reply.

Note, subject has posted "he probably has much better skills saber skills".

That's quite an assumption. I probably might make a million dollars this year. Might not. Can I buy a house in Cancun? Not with a probability.

He didn't need to use them, you say? Is that why he's in two pieces as the bottom of some shaft in Naboo?

Last question, do you even know who Malak is?

Darth Revan33
I agree with Janus but Jaster is right in the fact that Maul didn't need to use the Force powers, he just got arrogant. Though there's still no way his force powers could match Malak's.

jackstain
Maul would rock out with his cock out, and slap malak across the face with it, then kill em.

Bobafett34
darth maul

NewGuy01
I'd give this one to Darth Maul.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.