Convince me FF7 was the best one ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robo-Chocobo
yes your reading the heading right. I want somebody, anybody to convince me why FF7 is the best FF game ever. I want a thorough arguement/explanation made as to why the materia system is so great, why the characters of FF7 are better than those of another FF game.................Okay let me rephrase the last question. Explain to me why Cloud and Sephiroth( que one winged angel theme( orchastrated version) are the best FF characters ever.

(also, I want to know how many expirience points you get from killing a half god.)

Robo-Chocobo
well, you've all done an excellent job at convincing me.

Dogbert
death to the series

dave123
we sleep, y'know stick out tongue

Havoc470
i guess no one really wants to convince you, its just their opinion anyway

i dont think ff7 is the best ff game ever, i think its the best out of all the ones that broke from tradition (ff7, 8, and 10)

ff9 was basically going back to its roots and i loved it, it was great to see the old styles come back in great looking cg, ff3 imo is the best of the series, simply because i really loved the storyline, the characters, and all of their roles

ragesRemorse
FF7 was at the time amazing. However, now it is just subpar at best. I would sit here and waste time trying to convince you that 7 is the best, however, i dont think that. I dont think there is any argument as to final fantasy 10 being the best. It has done everything the previous games did, but on a grander scale. It welcomed an all new and totally original battle system. FFX is just ground breaking in the pace that RPG's on home consoles should be set on.

Havoc470
i dont see anything groundbreaking about ff10, all i see is a boring storyline that finally picks up around half-way through the game and the worst characters ever made in ff history (save kimahri and auron)

the summoning system was new and pretty cool but not something amazingly groundbreaking..and remember ff7 came out in '97 and i think has superior character involvement and a superior storyline to 8 and 10, but thats just my opinion

theres a reason why ff7 is getting a re-make along with its own movie and having multiple sequels to it

ArthasKnight
Sephiroth, 'nuff said.

Kenshinswife
ff7 wasnt the greatest ff game ever? Simply because 10 was...only thing that made 7 anything was cloud(in my opinion)...

Robo-Chocobo
I have 2 words that explain why FF10 isn't the best.

Opening cut-scene.

I HAD TO WATCH THAT THING TWICE!!! WITHOUT SKIPPING!!!
and I didn't like the flow of the battle system. to slow and cluttered.

6 was my favorite, it had a HUGE list of characters. 22 if I remember correctly. and almost every one of them had a deep backstory. when I first played it I felt it was huge. I realised it was smaller after I played it the second time.

10-2 was a great game. not just because of the eye cand- erm.. the awsome graphics. It had a fast paced battle system, and it had an awsome incarnation of the job system. I love that.

9 brings me mixed feeling. I loved it
1. it was the first one I owned on playstation.
2. it had such a nice vintage feel to it. oh Vivi you crazy black mage.
however, it was extremely easy. I got to the final 5 bosses only at level 47. I then hit concrete until I restarted and did it all right, leveling up, geting the right items ect. I also disliked the chocobo treasure hunts. a mini game should not be so responsible for getting you the final weapons, and accessories. it was almost as annoying as chocobo breeding.
7. definetly great, it kept me drawn for a while. I thought it was a great game, but Materia really got on my nerves, and I just can't uderstand how this cloud and sephiroth demi-godding had occured. I thought they were both cool, but...

Red Superfly
Final Fantasy X is better..........

JKozzy
No it's not.

Kenshinswife
yes it is

pr1983
x-2 was the shit on the bottom of vii's boot...

x wasn't the worst of the new batch, x-2 was worse imo...

6 was the best of all for me, 7 being the closest

SaTsuJiN
there wont be a final fantasy quite like 6 again

ragesRemorse
FFX had the most engaging story for me. It dealt with the questions of humanity in an original way for the final fantasy franchise.In past FF games, the enemy was always an external force bound by it's own agenda. the opposing force in final fantasy ten was a relation of the internal evil of humanity. True the story itself may have taken a little while to get off the ground, but that is because it was focusing more around the character of tidus.I think the start of a slow pace gave a great balance to the rest of the game. I dont think there has been a final fantasy game that has revolved around a character as heavily as final fantasy ten. In past games the characters diddnt really grow, situations changed dramatically as did the characters choices, but values and morals never really came into play. I had also never had as much fun with the battle system. FFX had the most fluent battle system as well as an open and in depth skill customization. the reason i say the gameplay was ground breaking is because it actually achieved what all other RPG's including the final fantasy franchise have attempted.

I think final fantasy 7 had the most unique and interesting characters, but i believe final fantasy X had the most relatable ( yeah i know relatable isnt a word, but you get my drift) . Icould actually relate to tidus in some ways of him being a kid forced into becoming a man, and how he dealt with it. Final fantasy 7 had the most cinematic story, but i believe ten had the most metaphorical and thought invoking.

Kenshinswife
wow...thats the most reasonable answer i have heard....

ArthasKnight
10-2 was bad for one main reason: YOU DO NOT MAKE SEQUELS TO FF GAMES! IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! If there are loose ends, tough. That's what the series is for, it makes you think about what happened and what happens after. I don't want things figured out.

ragesRemorse
Actually, X-2 was so terrible because it was not a sequal. It was presented to us to be a sequal, but there were little to no references to final fantasy ten in the entire game. If it had been a sequal, maybe it would have been decent. Instead there was virtually no story in the entire game. I mean really. The brunt of the story is that you are a sphere hunter looking for spheres, and some bad stuff starts to happen, but even when bad stuff starts to happen, it is not acknowledged in the story. What a shitty game. Fantastic and severely entertaining gameplay, but a shitty shitty game.

I agree though, there should be no sequals to FF games. tehre shouldnt even be any spin off games. that is apart of the appeal of FF.

Havoc470
i definitely think ff6 was the best one, for the reasons robo-chocobo stated, the storyline was frikkin epic and it had alot of characters that were great and were suited well for the storyline

i have no problem with ff sequels, it was only x-2 which wasnt a sequel as much as it was "final fantasy: charlies angels" and then the ff7 sequels coming out this and next year which imo look great, then comes the ff7 re-make and advent children (notice, all the coming sequels are ff7 related)

out of ff7, 8, and 10......7 was the best imo, i didnt care much for ff10's characters or its storyline, kimahri was barely involved, wakka was ff's version of jar-jar, yuna and rikku didnt interest me at all, i didnt care about sin throughout the whole game and i think he was the worst enemy ever created, then the over-stretched cut-scenes annoyed the hell out of me, voice-acting was good but sometimes you just want them to shut the hell up

BackFire
FF6 was teh first game I played that truley amazed me. The whole time I was playing it I was in awe, the hero's, the villian (Kefka is in my opinion the best villian ever in a video game), the world, the story, the magic system, and of course the outstanding music, they were all ace.

I don't think I'll ever forget the boss battle, how intense it was, I truley felt like it was real (I was like 12, mind you, but still).

FF6 was the complete package, nothing like it had ever been done before, it was the most ahead of it's time RPG that has ever been released.

FF7 is a great game, but I think it gets more credit then it deserves.

JKozzy
This thread has nothing to do with FFX.

I haven't fully played through FFVI yet, but I can definately see where you're coming from. There's no way one can deny that VI or VII are awesome games. I can also see where you think VII would get more credit than it deserves. The graphics might be why.. they give a fuller representation of the characters and the enviornments, and maybe people went for that. If VI was made on Playstation with graphics matching VII, perhaps its greatness would be more apparent to those too quick to judge. Not saying it should be, but there might be a reason people shun off anything lower than Playstation, or why they might find it more appealing with the visuals of the characters and the way they're portrayed.. everyone likes Sephiroth because of his gigantic sword. If he were done in 16 bit, as a sprite, I have a hunch that his sword wouldn't be as appealing to some.

Phoenix Aska
FFVII isn't the best game ever...More people actually talk about FFVI being btter surprisingly...They only liked VII because of the characters and limit breaks really..

Me I'll stick to other games made by Squaresoft like Chrono Trigger and legend of dragoon!

Robo-Chocobo
I'm ot convinced. considering no one has even given me a strong argument ABOUT 7.

Robo-Chocobo
listen they made 10-2 to have some relation to 10, but it was still supposed to be presented as a completly different game. that way if you never played 10, you woldnt be in the dark.

SaTsuJiN
so what is your beef with 7 anywho? and who said it was the best ever? blink

ragesRemorse
The game was spun as a sequal. See i owuld have been happy if it were just a completely different story. However, there was virtually no story what so ever. As for references to X, There were also virtually none. Every once and a while we got to see a five second cut scene of tidus, but that is where the information ended. To find anything out about tidus, you had to complete 100% of the game. Otherwise you got the shitty ending that revolved the shitty story.

General Kaliero
Hmm... An area in which I am relatively inexperienced, but am steadily growing into.

I got Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls around two months ago. FFI was amazingly fun, which quite surprised me considering the story is practically next to nothing.

FFII was much better in regards to the story, even if a tad corny. I vehemently hate the leveling system, though, that was a bad move, IMO.

I also got FF's III, IV, V, and VI off a friend, and am extremely tempted to play them. I feel like I should finish II off first, but with the next four lying right there, waiting for me...

I'm also interested in finding a cheap PS2 so I can play the others, excluding XI (because I am horrible at MMORPGs) and X-2 (because I have heard nothing but insults for it.)

Now, onto FFVII... it was apparently a great game in its time. I've seen plenty of the movies, downloaded and read the script, and even read extremely insipid analyses concerning its plot. My conclusion is that it was landmark in '97, but substandard by today's specifications.

Darth Surgent
Palmer getting hit by the truck = Instant Win!

big grin

Havoc470
its called X-2 for a reason, and in every square enix interview before X-2 debuted they said it like 5 times "its the first true sequel we're making to a final fantasy game, so we cant wait for it to debut"

theres really no way to prove ff7 is the best ff game, but imo 8 and 10 dont hold a candle to it at all, the plot was way more engaging, the characters were greatly interesting, i was having a blast figuring out each characters past, like red XIII's or barret and going through that whole thing between cloud and zack was frikkin awesome, not to mention aeris' death and cait sith's redemption

Robo-Chocobo
10-2 was a way better game than 10. it got rid of the sphere system, which btw is even more annoying than materia.

It had the classic job system from final fantasy 1 and 5. I loved the job system in 5, so I felt right at home in X-2. it also got rid of the annoying battle system from 10.

I liked the usage of only 3 characters (more references to ff5), since otherwise you would have had to job level up 9 people which would have been impossible. also I'm a lazy sob who hates leveling up characters I never use(like Yuffie and Caith Sith...nobody likes them)

it shouldn't be looked at as a direct continuation of the plot from 10. that plot was pretty well resolved. except for the whole tidus swimming off into the sunset thing...well okay that plot had huge holes left at the ending in it.

General - don't be scared off of 10-2. if you enjoyed 5 even at all you would love 10-2. it's just got so much to do in it. it easily ranks among my favourite ff games. 4,5,6,9,X-2.

if it was such a horrible game, then it wouldnt have gotten such bad reviews.

10 and 7 both had revolutionary features to the franchise, but it doesn;t mean that they are the standard all ff games must exactly be like. different is good.

Draco69
You thought that 10-2 was better than 10-1? Huh. In my opinion the gameplay was great in terms of battle system. However, the whole girl-power, singing and dancing, handing out balloon concept through me off. The plot was horrible. The characters were poorly revised. The bottom line is this : good battle system/terrible story and gameplay.

Draco69
And in my opinion the Final Fantasies rank as such :

FF7 (incredible story/characterization/battle system/etc.
FF10 (extremely good story [lots of themes/metaphors/etc.)/ good characterization/ excellent battle system)
FF6 (very good story/lack of characterization/good battle system)
FF9 (worse story in FF series/good characterization/good battle system (except for the stupid Trance system and the fact that you have to wear a equipment FOREVER in order to learn an ability)
FF8 (so-so story (German sorceress from the future?! What the f**k? ) flawed characterization/ so-so battle system ( 30 minutes of stocking spells ain't fun)

The others are beneath my notice.

pr1983
draco this is an honest question, i aint tryin to be insultin or anything, but why if you hate 8 do u have squall in your avi?

whitedragon
yes thats true, why? doesn't make sense. myself would say final fantasy 7 was good but 8 was loads better, 9 was kak, 10 was brilliant, 10 x2 was a waste of time. but my fav out of'em all is final fantasy 8 because the story line, better graphics, people, music. it was just great in my opinion anyway.

pr1983
8 for its time, graphically, on a console, was stunning. the dance scene is etched in my head as one of the great cg sequences in a game, i hated the magic collection thing, spending an hour just to get a few fire spells, and then have to divide them, though he junction system i thought was good enough. 7 was better though...

whitedragon
no........final fantasy 8 was and still is tons better than 7, 7 impressed me until 8 came out. 8 improved on everything 7 did and added more. oh well think what you like you guys........im outa here!
one winged angel my ass!

Draco69
I have Squall as my avatar because he is the only avatar that looks like me. Except for the hideous scar. Yeah I know I'm vain. Final Fantasy VII was still a very enjoyable game but it had a lot of flaws that puts it below the other games.

Havoc470
lack of characterization??? each character had their own storyline (and thats alot considering theres 14 characters) not only were they interesting (imo) but they all had their reason to come together with all the other characters and overcome the most diabolical bad guy in final fantasy (again, imo)

ff10, i couldnt care less about sin, its probably just me because i've had my extremely large share of storylines dealing with morality in a physical way, it also made me feel like every character was constricted to this one religion (except kimahri), while the other final fantasies made me feel like they were different characters with different beliefs......maybe i just looked way too into the characters and story, but anyway thats my opinion

Robo-Chocobo
ditto.

Draco69
There was lack of characterization in FF6. Something things about their past did not make sense. Seltzer had absolutely no history what so ever. The characters had only a very brief synopsis about their history; one defining moment about them. That's it. No motivation, no aspirations, no why's or what's. The story was extremely good. But the characters were shallow. The huge cast made it worst.

The religion controversy in FF10 was well done. The people of Spira were ingrained with a false sense of purpose and servitude towards Yevon. Some might call this an atheistic agenda others may call it a example of religous propaganda. It touched on touchy issues. The characters were not all the same. They had different beliefs and different perspectives on Yevon. Wakka was extremely devout. Lulu was devout but pensieve. Rikku was against Yevon. And Kimahri and Auron just plain didn't give a sh** about the matter. The characters were diverse and had deep psychological/moral issues embedded within them. They had many layers of personalities.

The enemy wasn't really Sin. The enemy was their own religion. Their entire religious upbringing was a total lie and farce. Imagine if Christianity was proven to be a lie. Millions of people would be devastated. Sin was just a metaphor for corruption. Power, prestige and greed were the sources for corruption.

All in all the story was WAY deeper than FF6. An educated person would have field day analyzing the FF10's story.

BackFire
I have to disagree with you on the characterization aspect of FF6.

The main characters in FF6 (Lock, Cyan, Edgar, Terra, Sabin, and of course, Kefka) were developed beautifully. By the end of the game I felt as if they were characters from a movie that I had identified with and come to actually know and love. The supporting characters weren't developed as well because, frankly, they were support characters. However, they all had some back story of some sort, and all had their own type of personality, which is more then I can say about FF8, which had the worst character development out of any FF game I played. During FF8 I felt nothing for most of the characters, they were pixels in a video game for me, nothing more.

As far as the story goes, I enjoy the more simplistic story of FF6 more then the overly complicated stories of some of the later games. It made it more believable and left more time for developing the hatred between the hero's and Kefka.

It's no secret that I think Kefka is the most well developed characters in the entire game, actually probably in the entire FF series, he was the only video game villian I actually despised for his actions. He was blatantly evil and had no other little agenda for his actions, he was a Hitler type characters who had caused pain to all of the characters we had come to know and love. The final battle between the heroes and Kefka is still the most tense boss fight I have ever experienced.

Draco69
That's your opinion. I played the game at age 17, so I guess the magic was lost on me.

But it's nice we can all agree that FF8 was the worst Final Fantasy ever.

BackFire
Perhaps some of the magic is lost if you didn't play it when it was initially released. Because at the tiem of release there was no other game like it, it was amazing for it's time.

Phoenix Aska
All right Advent children was suppose to come out in America winter 2004 but I haven't heard anything about it for a while..I'm in the dark!

So can someone help me about when the release date of it is? Or if it's already came out and I'm just blind?

FF Advent children looks to be like a very promising movie...from what the trailer shows it should be awesome. It's based off of VII because it has some characters like Cloud Strife, Vincent, and Barette.

The game might not be the best but if there was ever a FF game to be made into a movie this or X would have to be the best choice.

Dogbert
Again. Death to the series.

BackFire
Not going to happen as long as they continue to be the best selling RPG's on the market.

Draco69
Yeah. Don't diss Final Fantasy! Dissing Final Fantasy makes Draco ANGRY. You no like Draco when Draco ANGRY. YAAAAAARGH!!!!

Robo-Chocobo
I was checking on clips ( my friends are REALLY into ff7 advent)

it looks alright, despite a few pet peeves. like why does marlene look asian while barret looks black? and why does Reno look like such a wimp?

also, if they dub it they better do a really good job.

oh and I actually understand what they say in the japanese trailers.
yah a friend of mine used to live in Japan. knows Japanese.

not gonan spoil it, but

stuff about "we can revive Sephiroth"...

Robo-Chocobo
especially when hes a horribe mosnter dude 12 stories high.

Kenshinswife
they already made final fantasy x and x-2 into an animated movie...i didnt buy it though...you can check it out on e-bay

Robo-Chocobo
huh?

Robo-Chocobo
...bump

Phoenix Aska
yeah I know..they have a trailer in English too stick out tongue

and I forgot about them already making X-2 in an animated movie..it looks like garbage to me...

It is possible for Marlene to look Asian if Barret had sex with an asian women...maybe she just took on more of her mother's side..and Reno looked scrawny in the game...I mean Cloud looks weak too..he has small arms...

yeah that's Sephiroth in the funny wheel chair if you haven't figured it out yet...

and you said all that but still didn't answer my question Robo! laughing

Robo-Chocobo
no one has any clue what the release date is. Japan hates us. haven't you figured that out? hence why the game has slowly moved away from a europeanish setting with the castles and such to a more ansian look.( okay so it maybe for a reason besides japan hates us stick out tongue)

Phoenix Aska
the release date for Japan was summer of last year and they got it!

The release date for America was suppose to be winter of last year but it looks like we might not get it until spring..at the earliest...

JKozzy
They're doing what? Where did you hear that? Any links for information?
No it's not, it's Rufus, hence the Turks guarding him, and him being referred to as "Mr. President"

JKozzy
Advent Children is not out in Japan yet. It has also been delayed in Japan. The first trailer, that came out in what, September 2003 said Summer 04... but that was quickly changed to fall, then winter, then postponed to Spring 2005, for Japan as well as America.

SaTsuJiN
I dunno.. ff7 didnt appeal to me right off the bat because I was expecting something that would equal or rival 6.. but after knowing its supposed to be different each time, it grew on me.

whitedragon
Hey!
Check it out!

Arcane
meh, ff7 had the best story line, graphics (for its time) characters, and far out the best of all the series

SaTsuJiN
and.. in making that statement.. I assume you've played final fantasies 1 through 11 ? (including crystal chronicles for gc and the gameboy titles)

JKozzy
.....woo! no expression

Linkalicious
for the life of me....no matter how many times I started it.

I couldn't get into Final Fantasy VI. I jumped right into 1-3, 7, and 8...but I really didn't get much past the submerging castle before my attention was drawn elsewhere.

I blame drugs. sad

Dogbert
They're the reason rpgs are crap lately.

SaTsuJiN
if sales decrease, then square will realise they need to change their formula.. but if they keep getting paid.. why bother?

Robo-Chocobo
everyone always clones the best.

also, what do you have against cool submerging castles? all teh foolz tink taht flying catslez!!!11 r te shitznit , but give me a submerging castle anyday, originality props.

ragesRemorse
Well 10 and x-2 were actually a giant step in the right direction. Atleast in the battle and customization departments.I mean both were very deep. I think they have been good with breaking the formula. The only thing i would like to see is a more threatning and dark atmosphere given to the games. I understand that final fantasy is made to appeal to all ages, but i think that kind of limits their possibilities. I'm saying i want more violence, but maybe just some more mature content story wise.

SaTsuJiN
They seem to be going towards a more and more realistic art style as the series moves onward.. so perhaps it might come to that
I would enjoy a darker story as well.. but I think we can do without mature language.. (i mean did you hear 1 curse in lord of the rings movies? they were still great movies w/o them)
However, in all honesty, I wish they would take like 2 years to develope a new final fantasy instead of rushing to throw them out to the public.. they'd be so much better , content wise

god number 2
um yeah someone said this a while ago..... they are remaking ff7? i've heard of the movie and the cell phone game and the before crisis game and that one where you play as vincent but never heard there doing a remake? anyone wana share where they found this info?

god number 2
it was you havov470 who said that

god number 2
all i want is a remake on ps2 if they put on ps3 it will make god number 2 a sad panda no although if it were on ps3 it would be insane graphix wise however i dont want to wait for ps3 for a remake thats too long away

Dogbert
You know, clicking the edit function and spelling and grammar check might be a good idea.

god number 2
you talking about why i made them 3 replies instead of 1 reply?
or is my spelling and grammer really that bad that you cant even understand what i am saying? either way you make god number 2 a sad panda

Robo-Chocobo
\
so I take it gameplay is COMPLETLY unimportant.

pr1983
i liked the materia system, i had very few problems with it...

SnakeEyes

JToTheP
FF7 sucks period, along with 10.

*Spoilers*

aeris dies

Dogbert
proper paragraph:

You talking about why I made them 3 replies instead of 1 reply? Or is my Spelling and Grammar really that bad that you can't even understand what I am saying? Either way you make God number 2 a sad Panda.

moises
Originally posted by Robo-Chocobo
yes your reading the heading right. I want somebody, anybody to convince me why FF7 is the best FF game ever. I want a thorough arguement/explanation made as to why the materia system is so great, why the characters of FF7 are better than those of another FF game.................Okay let me rephrase the last question. Explain to me why Cloud and Sephiroth( que one winged angel theme( orchastrated version) are the best FF characters ever.

FINAL FANTASY 7 IS KNOWN AS THE BEST RPG MADE BECAUSE BASICLY IT HAD THE COOLEST CHARACTERS, LIMIT BREAKS, SIDE QUESTS, BOSSES, A GREAT STORY LINE, AND OF COURCE IT HAD THOSE CG CLIPS THAT MADE IT EVEN MORE IRRESISTABLE TO PLAY.

god number 2
hmmmm dogbert why do you care? are you really that annoyed? aren't there worse cases of bad grammar?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.