Where have all the really scary movies gone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rodeoangel
I have been realizing lately that all the "horrer" movies they come out with they try so hard to make them seem scary that they come out looking fake. For example The Ring: How many people actually believe a girl can walk out of a T.V...... not many. And Signs: I have to admit that one was o.k. but when I saw it my friend made it pg. so I don't know what it is really like (I'll have to get to seeing that) but if it was as strange as when me and my friend saw then it is weird...Aleins get killed by water???? Ok this isn't the Wizard of Oz. I was half expecting one of the aliens to say "Help me I'm melting". I havn't seen a GOOD horrer movie in a long time...anyone got any good movies??? PLEASE LIST THEM. confused

Wolfie
Well, "good" horror movies don't necessarily have to be scary. Are you asking for recent good horrors or just scary ones?

rodeoangel
scary. Of anykind

SlipknoT
28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Freddy vs. Jason, Bubba Ho Tep, The Texas Chainsaw massacre

SlipknoT
They werent scary but still decent

rodeoangel
ok. I'll have to rent those. hopefully they turn out good. I'm tired of renting bad scary movies. Except nothing really scares me in movies. Thats my goal in life, get scared by a movie.

Wolfie
Check out the Ginger Snaps trilogy. Those are pretty good. Not scary though.

Beastro
Stay away from the "snaps" series

ragesRemorse
Just got back from seeing white noise. You can add that to the question of where have all the scary movies gone. The horror genre has always been sparsed with decent flicks in an every once in a while kind of time line. So i wouldnt worry, wait a while.

Cinemaddiction
Horror has been running in place, content wise, for 2 decades now. It's as forumlaic as ever, and there's no sign of the flavor of the week trends ever ceasing. Slashers in the 80's. Teens in the 90's. Remakes, ghosts, and "homage" films in the new millenium. There's a few diamonds in the rough, but you've got to dig deep. You've got to suspend reality like never before to enjoy today's muck.

Need to be frightened, honestly?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
Poltergeist
The Exorcist (More disturbing than scary, which works)
Seven (Along the same lines)
The Shining
JAWS (Still effects people to this day)

The thing is, I'm in the same boat, and to a lot of people, these are only remotely frightening, but they've all had somewhat of an impact on me.

Beastro
Wow that was easy.Just go to you local video store and pick up one of the classics.

As far as "The Ring" goes ive never seen someone crawling out of a tv be so realistic.

Cinemaddiction
Samara crawling out of the television was one of the coolest special effects I've ever seen, as if it were straight out of "Videodrome". Hell, I love "The Ring", personally. It's not the scariest movie, but since it's heralded as a 90 minute long Nine Inch Nails video with pretty solid acting, it's good entertainment, IMO.

BlackC@t
Only Ghost movies scare me.

slayer
Check out some of the classics from about 1960 to the early nineties before they began 2 become silly and repetitive.

Friday The 13th
Nightmare On Elm Street
Halloween
Texas Chainsaw MAssacre ( 1974 )
The Shining
Carrie
Sleepaway Camp
Evil Dead
Night of the Living dead ( both 1968 and 1990)
Dawn of the Dead
Day of The Dead
Return of the Living Daed
Piranha
Psycho ( 1960 )
The Birds
The AMityville Horror (1977)
The Omen
The Fog
Slumber PArty MAssacre
Rosemarys Baby
April Fools DAy
Critters
Scannerz
Videodrome
The Fog
The Thing ( 1983)
The Fly ( 1988
Phantasm
The Howling
And A bunch of Movies By Wes Craven, John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, ALfred Hitchcock etc. smile

Zilverz
If the supernatural/ghosts scare you... i also recommend this movie. I seen this movie for the first time last year and it was the only other movie, other than the ring, to get me recently ...

Wolfie
Isn't this thread regarding recent horrors?

Cinemaddiction
Rodeoangel was looking for movies that we think are scary, and worthy of checkin' out, both new and old, in addition to discussing the horrendous nature of new horror films.

rodeoangel
I never said it wasn't cool. I just said how many people could believe it. I mean a little kid could or my friend but thats just because she will believe everything she hears. She wouldn't even go near a T.V. or answer the phone for 3 weeks. I agree is was cool. And the ring is one of my favorite movies. I can't wait to see the sequal.

Everyone else thanks for the movies...now I just need to save enough money to rent them all, and get to my friends house to see the R ones. (Parents won't let me watch them in my house.) You can keep posting movies and discussing horrer movies.

Beastro
And I was just saying it was pretty belieable and realistic.Alot of people thought so.

zast
basicly, hollywood didn't have any brilliant idea abt super horror movie(s) - so they just took it from anywhere else esp. japan , waddaya think abt that ?

Beastro
It didnt work for "The Grudge" but it did for this film smile

Cinemaddiction
I think J-Horror is overrated and formulaic.

MildPossession
Asian horror is fantastic, A Tale of Two Sisters for one. Big fan.

BREN
A great ghosty movie is a movie called the changling with george c scot, i dont think any movie has scared me really,made me jump from time to time but never really scared me but the changling made the hairs on my neck stand up so must be good smile

rodeoangel
Now that I think of it one movie actually did make me scared. I just forget what it was called. (Bad memory. It was about a toothe fairy. And the dark. Thats all I remember. Maybe sombody hears knows what it is. And this other one. I also don't remember what is was called but a baby is witnessing murder and he always says "redrum" wich if u flip it around it is "murder" that one kind of scared me. But not like that toothe fairy one. I didn't like the dark after that.

Beastro
Please dont tell me its "darkness falls" sad

Cinemaddiction
"Darkness Falls" and "The Shining". Ohhhhhh, boy. Let the onslaught begin.

dark1365
I saw the trailer for Boogeyman, it seemed creepy.

dean7879
scary horror movies are still here sort of....its just that most of us are old enough not to get scared anymore

Mane
Darkness Falls can't match up to The Shining at all.

rodeoangel
Then I guess it wuz Darkness Falls. But I was 11 when I saw it. I know that's not that long ago. But I was a chicken when I was 11. I thought the Haunting was scary. Now I am lucky if I find anything.

papabeard
They never went anywhere, you just got old and cynical. when I was a kid everything scared me, even the likes of Ghoulies, just the cover of horror films used to terrify me, i 'd spend hours in the video shop just looking at the covers, terrified wondering what horrors lay inside.

Good Tmes! Happy Dance

rodeoangel
But I'm not that much older then 11. 2 years. I shouldn't be gettin unscared that quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to scare myself. NOW.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.