Coachella Music Festival 2005

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Anyone going to this?

I really, really wanted to go but due to the cost of hotels, flying, tickets and everything else, my plans fell through. Still got a back up plan so all isn't lost.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Costs WAY too much, and is the weekend before finals. Might go to SXSW

Alpha Centauri
Price is a ***** man. This year it is probably gonna rule also.

Coachella is a life goal of mine.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
$152...I can't afford that on top of hotels and food.

Alpha Centauri
I'd have to pay for a plane flight also. Sucks.

Always seems like the ultimate music festival.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Oh yeah, I was just gonna drive the 1000 miles out there if I could. Though it all depends on who's playing.

SlipknoT
Who's playing there?

ARC Trooper 117
Coachella? confused
Am I THAT out of touch?

Alpha Centauri
Tool have played before, NIN allegedly this year. Being that NIN, Weezer, Audioslave and Tool all have albums out I would say it's possible one of them will play. Or one of the other heavyweights putting out an album. That's just headlining.

-AC

SlipknoT
Would Slipknot be there, they released an album this year?

Alpha Centauri
Possibly. Who knows? I'd definately say it's possible.

Tickets are on sale but for some reason there's no Line Up.

-AC

SlipknoT
When is it?

Alpha Centauri
April 31st-May 1st.

-AC

SlipknoT
Where is it?

ElectricBugaloo
Coachella, CA.

Last year, The Pixies, Radiohead, Beck and The Flaming Lips performed (among others).

Weezer actually might perform, they will finish the album soon (the first single comes out in march). I don't think Slipknot will play, they haven't had that sort of music in the past. Beck might perform again, QOTSA has a new album...But i think some of the other artists won't be far enough along in their recording to play, unless they just play old stuff.

Though it would be awesome if THe Postal Service played (won't happen).

Alpha Centauri
"Weezer actually might perform, they will finish the album soon (the first single comes out in march). I don't think Slipknot will play, they haven't had that sort of music in the past. Beck might perform again, QOTSA has a new album...But i think some of the other artists won't be far enough along in their recording to play, unless they just play old stuff."

This doesn't make me feel any better about missing Coachella 05 sad.

Watch, I'll bet that the line-up is gonna be some ultra legendary best ever. My back-up plan to go there will fall through and everyone will be like "Oh man, best Coachella ever."

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
I think last year's will be hard to top. I mean, the return of The Pixies?

ElectricBugaloo
Oh, and here's the rumored partial line up that's been floating around the internet:

April 30
David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Coldplay, PJ Harvey, Interpol, The Faint, Franz Ferdinand, Polyphonic Spree, Boards of Canada, TV On the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Squarepusher, Clinic, French Kicks, Secret Machines, Phoenix, Beep Beep, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Death From Above 1979, and The Helio Sequence

May 1
R.E.M., Tears For Fears, Wilco, Bright Eyes, Jimmy Eat World, Mos Def, Badly Drawn Boy, The Streets, Cake, The Shins, Sleater-Kinney, Rilo Kiley, Radio 4, Doves, Iron and Wine, The Arcade Fire, and Moving Units

Alpha Centauri
Bowie, NIN, PJ Harvey and The Faint are the only people I would wanna see and seeing as I'm seeing NIN live in March anyway, wouldn't be much point. If that's the line up, not too bothered.

Second day.....Jimmy Eat World, Mos Def and maybe Arcade Fire.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
1st day...Bowie, Interpol, Franz Ferdiand, Polyphonic Spree, Dog Die in Hot Cars

2nd day: Mos Def, The Streets, Cake, THe Shins, Rilo Kiley, Iron and Wine

Damnit I wish i had money. But this probably won't look anything like the real lineup.

Alpha Centauri
"Damnit I wish i had money. But this probably won't look anything like the real lineup."

Iron and Wine I would check out, never really had an opportunity. I really REALLY love The Faint though. At first listen you'd think you'd get bored of their music, but you just don't.

I've been addicted to the song "Your Retro Career Melted" since September. Shame I missed their gigs here.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
SXSW looks good so far, here is a VERY short list:

Ambulance Ltd
American Music Club
Ash
The Crimea
The Dears
Death From Above 1979
Dogs Die in Hot Cars
The Donnas
The Futureheads
The Go! Team
Hella
Robyn Hitchcock
Hot Hot Heat
Billy Idol
Daniel Johnston
Kaiser Chiefs
The Kills
Ben Lee
M. Ward
Aimee Mann
Nada Surf
Of Montreal
The Raveonettes
Lou Reed
Rolling Blackouts
Sleater-Kinney
Son Volt
The Soundtrack Of Our Lives
Trashcan Sinatras
Saul Williams
The Wrens

Oh yeah, and Elvis Costello, as if that wasn't awesome enough.

Alpha Centauri
Out of all those, Saul Williams and DFA1979 are the only ones I'm interested in.

Not a mad fan of DFA, just like the odd song. Saul, I would be interested in seeing.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Spoon was added just after this list was posted; and QOTSA and Eagles of Death Metal are going to be playing a show the night before the official festival. Last year there was I think something like 400 bands...

A Frames (Seattle WA),
Against Me!
(Gainesville FL),
Ambulance Ltd (New York NY),
Ariel Pink (Los Angeles CA),
Ash (London UK),
The Bad Plus (New York NY),
Lou Barlow (Los Angeles CA),
The Be Good Tanyas (Vancouver BC),
Blind Boys of Alabama (Birmingham AL),
Bloc Party (London UK),
Blowfly (Miami FL)
Brazilian Girls (New York NY),
Buck 65 (Halifax NS),
Buried At Sea (Chicago IL),
Burrito Deluxe (Nashville
TN), Vic Chesnutt (Athens GA),
Chingo Bling (Houston TX),
Communique
(Oakland CA),
Damon & Naomi (Cambridge MA),
The Dears (Montreal QC), Death
From Above 1979 (Toronto ON),
Ditty Bops (Los Angeles CA),
DJ Logic (Bronx NY),
Dogs Die in Hot Cars (Glasgow UK),
The Donnas (Palo Alto CA),
Doves (Manchester UK),
Kathleen Edwards (Ottawa ON),
Fatboy Slim (Brighton UK),
the Futureheads (Sunderland UK),
Goldie Lookin Chain (Newport UK),
The Go! Team (Brighton UK),
Robyn Hitchcock (London UK),
Hot Hot Heat (Victoria BC),
Hot Rod Circuit (New Haven CT),
Husky Rescue (Helsinki FINLAND),
Billy Idol (Los Angeles CA),
ISIS (Los Angeles CA),
Jennifer Gentle (Padova ITALY),
Kaiser Chiefs (Leeds UK),
The Kills (London UK),
Kings Of Convenience
(Bergen NORWAY),
Los Super Seven (Various ),
Magnolia Electric Co.
(Indianapolis IN),
Stephen Malkmus (Portland OR),
Aimee Mann (Los Angeles
CA), Minibosses (Tempe AZ),
Money Mark (Los Angeles CA),
Mono (Tokyo JAPAN),
Ronnie Montrose (Sacramento CA),
Nada Surf (Brooklyn NY),
Ojos De Brujo (Barcelona SPAIN),
the pAper chAse (Dallas TX),
Pelican (Chicago IL),
Pig Destroyer (Bethesda MA),
the pillows (Tokyo JAPAN),
Robert Plant (UK),
Radio 4 (Brooklyn NY),
Ratatat (Brooklyn NY),
The Raveonettes (Copenhagen DENMARK),
Rob Sonic (New York NY),
Saturday Looks Good To Me (Ann Arbor MI),
Ulrich Schnauss (Berlin GERMANY),
Sleater-Kinney (Portland OR),
Smoosh (Seattle WA),
Seyi Solagbade & the Blackface Band (Lagos State NIGERIA),
Son Volt (St Louis MO),
The Soundtrack Of Our Lives (Gothenberg SWEDEN),
The Spits (Seattle WA),
Mavis Staples (Chicago IL),
Stars (Montreal QC), Steel Pulse (Birmingham UK),
Steel Train (New York NY),
Swishahouse featuring Mike Jones and Paul Wall (Houston TX),
James Talley (Tulsa OK),
Otis Taylor (Boulder CO),
These Arms Are Snakes (Seattle WA),
Pam Tillis (Nashville TN),
Underoath (Tampa FL),
Visionaries (Los Angeles CA),
Saul Williams (Los Angeles CA),
Wolfmother (Sydney AUSTRALIA)

loserib
those are soem of the worst lineup ive seen

Deathblow
Nah there's quite a lot of good acts in there. I'd like to see Stephen Malkmus especially.

ElectricBugaloo
loserib, some of us have an open mind on music and actually listen to more than one genre.

Buck 65, Against Me!, The Go! Team, Kings of Convenience and Nada Surf are awesome - then you add in Elvis Costello, Stephen Malkmus and Spoon, that is an awesome show. And those aren't even half the bands that will be playing. Perhaps The Pixies will play again.

ElectricBugaloo
Saturday, April 30th:
Coldplay
Bauhaus
Weezer
Cocteau Twins
The Chemical Brothers
Wilco
Keane
Snow Patrol
Rilo Kiley
Cafe Tacuba
Doves
Sage Francis
Armin Van Buuren
The Raveonettes
Bloc Party
Mercury Rev
Fantomas
Hernan Cattaneo
Zap Mama
Peretz
Secret Machines
Jamie Cullum
M83
Ambulance LTD
Four Tet
MF Doom
Josh Wink
Amp Fiddler
Tiga
The Kills
Donavan Frankenreiter
Spoon
Boom Bip
Katie Melua
DJ Marky
Immortal Technique
Jean Grae
Razorlight
Swayzak
Radio 4
Buck 65
Eisley
The Sexy Magazines
k-os

Sunday, May 1st
Nine Inch Nails
New Order
Bright Eyes
Gang of Four
Prodigy
Black Star
The Faint
Roni Size
The Arcade Fire
Roots Manuva
DJ Krush
Thrice
Junkie XL
M.I.A.
British Sea Power
The Dresden Dolls
Miss Kittin
The Fiery Furnaces
Aesop Rock
The Perceptionists
Jem
Autolux
Sixtoo
Tegan and Sara
Stereophonics
The Bravery
Matthew Dear
Diplo
Subtle
Beans
Shout Out Louds
The Futureheads
Sloan
Kasabian
The Blood Brothers
Matmos
Wolf Eyes
Gram Rabbit
Smokestacks
Zion I

Alpha Centauri
Can't say I'm upset that I'm missing it.

Weezer and Fantomas, but they'll be touring anyway and I'm already seeing NIN.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
There are going to be more bands added, I've heard.

Alpha Centauri
Cool.

I don't see em adding any large bands though. I doubt Audioslave or Tool etc will be playing there now. Given the bands chosen.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
There are about 10-15 bands/artists that I really want to see...Last year Beck played unannounced. Hopefully he'll do it again.

Alpha Centauri
You gonna make it to Coachella, EB?

Bit of a random set this year though. Patchy don't you think?

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
I don't have enough money to go. Day 1 looks really good despite Coldplay headlining. Day 2, the only bands I'd want to see are Gang of Four, Bright Eyes, Aesop Rock and Sloan. But Day 1 has a lot of really good bands.

Deathblow
I'd love to see all of those, especially Coteau Twins & Mercury Rev.

loserib
and some poeple just dont like shitty music

ElectricBugaloo
Oh, don't feel bad, one day you'll join us in the land of good musical taste.

loserib
god man i hope not lol
out of all the bands on that list i would watch NiN and prodigy but that would be about it but hey to who ever is going have fun

Linkalicious
I could easily afford to go to this concert, but I'd rather not.

There's a better concert going on in April.

Jimmy Buffett.

StinkFist462
oh man i was planning to go to this just to see NIN play . but instead im gonna see them on the 6th and 7th in chicago .. i never been there before lol . me and my cousin are gonna go there .

Lana
Originally posted by StinkFist462
oh man i was planning to go to this just to see NIN play . but instead im gonna see them on the 6th and 7th in chicago .. i never been there before lol . me and my cousin are gonna go there .

YOU'RE SEEING NIN IN CHICAGO THIS WEEKEND?!

Bastard, I couldn't get tickets for those shows!!!

D'you actually live near Chicago? I'm like 10 minutes away from it, heh.

StinkFist462
i actually live in minneapolis

. on a lil side note , NIN played cochella an hour ago sad

Darth Revan
cry

Lana
Minneapolis is not that far, I'll be driving through there this summer I think.

I wanted to go to Coachella but sadly, too far away and not enough money sad

StinkFist462
i have enough money , but i didnt want to take a plane .. but i invested all my money to other things .. like other concerts

Darth Revan
*sniff* No NIN shows for me... sad

On another little side note, I have the desktop in your sig Lana wink

Lana
I used the wallpapers to make my sig wink

No NIN shows for me either.......sadly......cry

StinkFist462
2 days till With Teeth big grin

on yet another side note . all 3 of us have a NIN avy

on ANOTHER side note , this thread warped itself into a NIN thread . smile

Lana
I think that on my way to school Tuesday I will stop and pick up With Teeth big grin

We rock yes

StinkFist462
i think im gonna not go to school tuesday and walk to Best Buy and buy every little version of With Teeth lol ( i already heard the CD though )

Lana
I've heard it already too, thanks to myspace....

I can't ditch school though, I've got finals in 2 weeks.

Darth Revan
Wewt happy

Does anyone think it's unreasonable that I spent almost 50 bucks on a With Teeth preorder that included the album on Dualdisc, a t-shirt, and shipping the day of release? shock

StinkFist462
ive heard it from Bit Torrent ..

uhhh i forgot what i was about to say

Lana
Nah happy I'd do the same if I had $50 to spend stick out tongue

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Wewt happy

Does anyone think it's unreasonable that I spent almost 50 bucks on a With Teeth preorder that included the album on Dualdisc, a t-shirt, and shipping the day of release? shock

uhhhhh did you pay S&H ? or is it included in the 50$ ?

either way id do it

Darth Revan
I'm so excited happy

Lana
big grin

I didn't preorder because I'm super-broke sad

Darth Revan
uhhhhh did you pay S&H ? or is it included in the 50$ ?

Shipping was included, in fact, I think it was a good portion of the total amount--getting it on the 3rd y'see. wink

StinkFist462
im gonna order a halo 18 , cause i have 1-17 already .. need to finish the collection

Lana
Man I need money so I can get all the stuff I want....going to England totally emptied out what I had saved up. Worth it, though.

Can't wait to get that CD, though.....

Darth Revan
im gonna order a halo 18 , cause i have 1-17 already .. need to finish the collection

Yeah, well, do you have Halo 1-17... ON VINYL?!?!?

... I dont. sad The only NIN vinyl I have is Halo 16 sad

We're such corporate music whores stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Don't get your hopes up.

I'll say that much.

-AC

Lana
Hehe Nivek, were you in the MSN convo when we were talking about what would happen if you got caught downloading RATM music? laughing out loud

Darth Revan
Are you implying the new album sucks? no expression

StinkFist462
i have lemme check ..

Halo 8 ( The Downward Spiral )
Halo 14 ( The Fragile )
Halo 2 ( Pretty Hate Machine )
Halo 5 ( Broken )
Halo 6 ( Fixed )

on vinyl and i dont even have a record player blink

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Lana
Hehe Nivek, were you in the MSN convo when we were talking about what would happen if you got caught downloading RATM music? laughing out loud

Yeah... laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Are you implying the new album sucks? no expression

Well, the only songs that I really like off it are You Know What You Are?, Sunspots and Every Day Is Exactly the Same. Beside You In Time is growing on me but besides that, they're just so so to below average. In relation to what he's capable of.

It's worth owning, I mean it doesn't SUCK. It's just absolutely nowhere near what Trent could be capable of, IE: The Fragile. Now I wasn't expecting another album like that, it just isn't what he can be.

The song called Only is one of the worst songs Trent has ever produced.

I've never been overly impressed with Trent's lyrics besides some of The Fragile's songs, but here (besides maybe one or two songs) the lyrics are just awful. Luckily I don't focus on that though.

I'd give it 6 or 7 out of 10. It just seems like Trent is struggling and it seems too forced.

-AC

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

The song called Only is one of the worst songs Trent has ever produced.

-AC

good , im not the only one who thinks this song is crap

Alpha Centauri
It's utter shit.

It's like Down In It, but much worse.

-AC

StinkFist462
i dont mind Down In It , half the songs on With Teeth seem like fillers instead of actual masterpieces that Trent is capable of

Darth Revan
Just curious, you said "Only" was one of the worst songs he's ever produced... Which would you call the worst?

Alpha Centauri
I agree.

They're not bad songs, but it reminds me of what Trent said about Tapeworm. It was ok when it should have/could have been great.

That's the perfect description of With Teeth. I'm not crucifying Trent, I'm not even saying the album sucks, I just think it's average to slightly above average. It could have been so much better.

Just curious, you said "Only" was one of the worst songs he's ever produced... Which would you call the worst?

I think Only might take that title. I dunno, I was never a fan of Down In It. Trent has one of those voices that can make or break the flow of a song, so when he does that sort of half singing half spoken word thing, it ruins songs. It ruined Down In It and it ruined Only.

-AC

StinkFist462

Only is the worst one ive heard . then comes Thats What I Get

StinkFist462
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I agree.

They're not bad songs, but it reminds me of what Trent said about Tapeworm. It was ok when it should have/could have been great.

That's the perfect description of With Teeth. I'm not crucifying Trent, I'm not even saying the album sucks, I just think it's average to slightly above average. It could have been so much better.

-AC

i was expecting so much more after 6 years .

Alpha Centauri
You can't equate time with delivery though. You're only dooming things.

The time between The Fragile and With Teeth could be 6 months or 6 years, it doesn't mean anything. Most of those years were him almost dying from bodily abuse. A little fairness maybe.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Massively underwhelmed.

As soon as he stated that he was going to be departing from The Fragile style, I was fearing the worst. It isn't a disaster, it's OK.

Wasn't expecting miracles because bar The Fragile, I haven't ever rated the band up there with the very best.

StinkFist462
the official line-up has been released for '06.

Looks like Depeche Mode and Tool are the headliners this year.

Alpha Centauri
The ONLY reason I found that exciting was because it means the wheels are in motion for Tool.

I don't wanna see them for the first time since 02 in a boiling hot desert surrounded by indie kids who probably showed up for Franz Ferdinand. Furthermore, it's a festival, the probably won't play many songs at all and some of them will undoubtedly be from the new album. Surely those seeing Tool for the first time would want older songs, not necessarily newer and I personally want to hear the new album before I see them again. Although I would go if tickets to a solo London show came up.

Massively shit line-up. Tool are by far the best there, there are a few other noteworthy acts but besides that it's horrid.

-AC

Lana
Tool, Depeche Mode, and Sigur Ros are the only ones on the lineup that are worthwhile, that I've seen.

What I really found moronic are all the people on Coachella's site (AC showed me yesterday with the lineup) complaining about how they're not excited about the headliners and that they've got mediocre headliners but rather they're excited about ****ing Franz Ferdinand roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, as much as I'd like to see Tool, I'll wait for them to tour.

Alpha Centauri
I don't know how the hell Coachella went from 04's mega line-up of The Cure, Radiohead, Pixies, Kraftwerk and others, to some shit like this.

-AC

StinkFist462
There are a few bands i would go for (Tool, Depeche Mode, Sigur Ros, Atmosphere, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Paul Oakenfold)

overall its not that great of a line-up.

Victor Von Doom
Ah, the old Coachella line-ups...actually wait, I'm in England. Who gives a f*ck.

Not really relevant to my life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.