Is downloading a TV show illegal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
One could argue that it's the property of a major company, but they show it on TV. If you tape it with a blank VHS or DVD, would that be as illegal, or perfectly legal? TiVo is the same, recording the show to its hard drive for you to watch later. You've copied it to your own device for your own use, you copy it from the internet to your computer to watch, would that be the same thing, or piracy? Why?

Dazzler619
People download music from the internet so maybe it's ok if they download a show with permission

Goldensky
legal or illegal people do it and i condone it, **** the multi billion rip off company's... obviously i dont down load illegally cos thats just wrong. but i the word on the street is lime wires good for that kinda shit. obviously i dont know first hand tho

Morning_Glory
No

just dont copy/burn it and then sell it... then that is illegal

Aku
I think you'll find that alot of stuff is illegal or atleast should be when its not. Confused? yeh thought so. What I mean is, if there is a speed limit, why would people sell NOS? (nitrous injection which propells cars upto almost double their speed). It's restricted in most races so why is it legal when it is used in an illegal activity? Same with downloading stuff, breaching copyright is illegal, sharing it isnt. ?????

Goldensky
Very good point aku..

WindDancer
I don't understand why would people download tv shows. confused

I can understand Cable tv. But to download regular tv channels is pretty pointless.

charmedFairy
makes sense only if they missed episodes from their fav. tvshow i gues confused

Alpha Centauri
"It's restricted in most races so why is it legal when it is used in an illegal activity?"

Street Racing is an illegal activity. The goal: To win. NOS helps, thus it is legal.

It's an illegality in an illegal sport.

-AC

ragesRemorse
You need expressed writen consent from the network of the show, because you are downloading it from an outside source other than the network. If the source that you are downloading it from has the consent form the network then it is fine, as long as you do not distribute it in any way. This is all presumption of course.

MC Mike
Or you could just give them a big **** you. stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
That too....

Afro Cheese
Well by watching it on the internet and not on TV you take away from their ratings. So I could see it being illegal. In any case I think they'll survive. I mean it's sorta an inconvenience to download already free shows so it's not like it's going to sweep the nation or anything.

ladygrim
hmm i dont kno .. possibly cuz everything these days is illegal....

Jackie Malfoy
THey call those people pirates.And in a way they are.But if they want to download a tv show I think there is nothering wrong with it.JM

JToTheP
I see nothing wrong if you want to download it, as long as you watch it on the re-run of the season in the summer, so they can keep their ratings. I only see it was bootlegging, like after I went to New York, Battery Park was LOADED, it was absolutely ****in ridiculous at how much stuff is bootlegged there.

Victor Von Doom
If you breach somebody's copyright, it is against the law. Technically taping from the television is breach of copyright, it's just unenforceable.

Alpha Centauri
Isn't actually taking a purchased VHS into someone else home and letting them watch it "illegal" also? I always thought it warned against that on the little legal bit on the beginnings of the videos.

"Intended for home viewing only" etc.

-AC

Afro Cheese
So what if you watch it at your house but have company over?

Clovie
i don't know confused but what's wrong in watching if you wasn't able to see it on tv erm

Alpha Centauri
"So what if you watch it at your house but have company over?"

I think that's said to be illegal too.

Trust me, next time one of those things come up, read it. Interesting.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
Downloading any copyrighted media without the owner's permission is illegal.

JKozzy
No different than TiVo, you're downloading it to its hard drive. Some even offer downloadable shows specifically.

sk8stuff09
i wouldnt do that, i got caught and fined a bunch of money for illegal downloading.....now im dirt poor

JKozzy
How much did you download/get fined, might I ask?

Aryn
Here in Canada, recording it onto another media and watching it with a friend is ok, but downloading an episode from a TV show that you happened to miss is considered to be piracy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Aryn
Here in Canada, recording it onto another media and watching it with a friend is ok, but downloading an episode from a TV show that you happened to miss is considered to be piracy.

Sooo...If I lived in Canada and downloaded an episode of "The Kids in the Hall", I would be commiting piracy?.......AAAARRRR!!!! Get me patch mateys!!!!! Get Miss Swann too!!!

Darth Jello
legal precidents state that time shifting (recordin to watch later) is ok and that if you obtain a product in a shittier format, it by definition is a different product.

Mišt
You can only watch a recorded show once, then its illegal if you watch it again. Downloading is illegal, watching at a friend's place is illegal, watching someone else's copy is illegal....but like anyone cares if they get caught.

ADarksideJedi
Not sure if the site gives you permision to download then it shold be fine.If not then yea it is.jm

PITT_HAPPENS

Shakyamunison

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Anything they can do, someone can undo. True but as it stands now it is legal to record but once they implement it people will break it but then they can make it illegal

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Anything they can do, someone can undo.

very true, but copyright protection can become so engrained that the piracy would be so uneconomical that it is essentially impossible

wait till only sony cds will play on sony cd players... or even worse, when sony brand CD players will only play media that is encripted with sony brand encription smile

sure it is piratable, but it becomes almost too much work. The guy who pirates the Cubase series put a note in one of the recent releases saying something along these lines. Basically, Cubase had become so well protected that it wasn't worth his time to design something to hack it.

I don't see this time comming soon, and there will be huge problems when convienience to the consumer is hampered by anti-piracy technology (which is already happening with i stuff) (or the PSP is a great example of this, or how the X box can't integrate with Windows, and lots of that type of stuff).

However, I do think that piracy, as it stands today, is a relic of a time where the internet is like "the wild west". I can see site like "demonoid" or "alluc" in the future charging an admission cost to sign up for their piracy service, or even like a black market itunes store where songs can be bought at a massivly reduced cost, but as far as "free sharing" is concerned, it will have its end.

leonheartmm
****, the corporates trying to make shitloads of money on anime/tv shows/movies. just find a good illegal site and downoad it all if you broadband. paying 50 dollars for a god damn 2 hour movie is ****in ridiculous. heck buy pirated dvds if theyr available. reguardless of whats on it, it costs 1.5 dollars a piece. and you can have as many as 12 one hour compressed episodes of a tv show{25 if theyr half hour } on a normal dvd disk. the disk itself costs less than half a dollar a piece if you want to illegally copy.

YAY FOR PIRACY. without it. much of the world wouldnt be able to watch shows anyway.

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by leonheartmm
****, the corporates trying to make shitloads of money on anime/tv shows/movies. just find a good illegal site and downoad it all if you broadband. paying 50 dollars for a god damn 2 hour movie is ****in ridiculous. heck buy pirated dvds if theyr available. reguardless of whats on it, it costs 1.5 dollars a piece. and you can have as many as 12 one hour compressed episodes of a tv show{25 if theyr half hour } on a normal dvd disk. the disk itself costs less than half a dollar a piece if you want to illegally copy.

YAY FOR PIRACY. without it. much of the world wouldnt be able to watch shows anyway. Are you saying that I should break the law, I would never do that...

pitt_shifty

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Isn't actually taking a purchased VHS into someone else home and letting them watch it "illegal" also? I always thought it warned against that on the little legal bit on the beginnings of the videos.

"Intended for home viewing only" etc.

-AC I think it's only illegal if you show it to people in public... Letting people watch it in a private residense I think is legal, not 100% sure though.

dadudemon

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
Right, private viewing only...hehe...I said private viewing...tee hee.

But anyway...

It is illegal to ditribute the material...not to download it...(Could someone prove me wrong with evidence? If not...then I will be right and all of you are idiots...)

copyright law prevents the distribution of material without the written consent of the owner.

The laws for the internet are NOT the same as the laws for physical mediums such as VHS or CDs.

In fact, the laws are so patchwork that it would be hard to find any real coherance to them, other than to say that if you are downloading something from p2p, you are commiting a crime.

like, we could think of weird hypothetical situations like: I own a CD, and thus, I can legally rip the songs onto my computer and burn them onto another CD. I can also give this CD to my friends without worry of repricussion. I cannot charge for the burnt CD, although I could sell the original. However, with music, if I owned a venue, I could play the music from a burnt CD provided I owned the origional and charge admission, which I believe is illegal for movies (which can be shown to people without admission cost). A good comparison might be with copyrighted items like "Spider-Man" or "Superman". If I draw a picture of spider-man, I can sell you the origional but not a copy of it.

So, seeing as that is really straightforward and really seems like an intelligable law, you know, as opposed to a piecemeal concoction of corporate interests, we come to the internet. First, understand, if there is a song on your computer, you do not own it. However it is stored (ie, 1s and 0s), that information belongs to the owner of the copyright. You are allowed to listen to it because you bought the real CD version. You may not send this to a friend, for money or for free. You may also not download it. You are not allowed to download because somehow corporate lawyers convinced some judges that by downloading something you are stealing potential profit from the company (although most downloading is for free). I don't know how they did it, probably the fact that judges are old and thus not techno-savy, but somehow you downloading a song is the same crime as you stealing money out of the bank account of a major media corporation. You downloading it prevented them from having the right to sell it to you or something retarded like that I'm sure.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
copyright law prevents the distribution of material without the written consent of the owner.

The laws for the internet are NOT the same as the laws for physical mediums such as VHS or CDs.

In fact, the laws are so patchwork that it would be hard to find any real coherance to them, other than to say that if you are downloading something from p2p, you are commiting a crime.

like, we could think of weird hypothetical situations like: I own a CD, and thus, I can legally rip the songs onto my computer and burn them onto another CD. I can also give this CD to my friends without worry of repricussion. I cannot charge for the burnt CD, although I could sell the original. However, with music, if I owned a venue, I could play the music from a burnt CD provided I owned the origional and charge admission, which I believe is illegal for movies (which can be shown to people without admission cost). A good comparison might be with copyrighted items like "Spider-Man" or "Superman". If I draw a picture of spider-man, I can sell you the origional but not a copy of it.

So, seeing as that is really straightforward and really seems like an intelligable law, you know, as opposed to a piecemeal concoction of corporate interests, we come to the internet. First, understand, if there is a song on your computer, you do not own it. However it is stored (ie, 1s and 0s), that information belongs to the owner of the copyright. You are allowed to listen to it because you bought the real CD version. You may not send this to a friend, for money or for free. You may also not download it. You are not allowed to download because somehow corporate lawyers convinced some judges that by downloading something you are stealing potential profit from the company (although most downloading is for free). I don't know how they did it, probably the fact that judges are old and thus not techno-savy, but somehow you downloading a song is the same crime as you stealing money out of the bank account of a major media corporation. You downloading it prevented them from having the right to sell it to you or something retarded like that I'm sure.

I wasn't serious in my post...I was just wanting someone to actually give reasons why it is illegal to download copyrighted material for free....

Do you have any sources for that info? My co-worker watched a dvd quality version of spiderman 3 that he downloaded and he watched a dvd quality version of Transformers he downloaded...he tried to tell me that it was legal and I need to have sources telling him that he can get into trouble...

inimalist
the only sources I would know of would be court cases where people have been fined or whatever. I can't think of any off the top of my head (in Canada the police have said they have better things to do than enforce corporate copyrights).

There are ways he probably could download it legally. If he downloaded it from a site where he payed for it, it's legal provided the site has the consent of the copyright owner.

I think your friend is confusing "legal" with "not enforced"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.