127 Fighting styles.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lifeisaglich
Dose the batman know all said forms of martial arts in the DCU?

It is known that batman is a genious and a prodigy, combined with his paranoia to know everything, why is it so hard to acknowledge that batman know all the 127 forms of martial arts in DCU?

goku-vs-superma
theres only 127???
i would expect a much higher number

Havoc470
theres not only 127 irl

paranoia, genious, and being a prodigy has nothing to do with mastering 127 martial arts, bruce lee was a prodigy, he made his own martial art by mixing alot of others...why? because no one could master it all in one lifetime, for example aikido, to master aikido he'd not only have to be in his 70's but some say that its mastered in death, that especially applies to shaolin kung-fu and about every other martial art there is heheh, tai-chi demands alot of spirituality and can also only be mastered after death

i remember when i first joined the forums someone told me he actually only mastered about 4, it was probably bullsh*t to not look like a complete idiot, but i would agree to that more than mastering EVERY martial art

Krissy Von Doom
It's difficult enough to master one in real life. In comics though, Batman would probably be able to master no more than two or three. Remember master martial artists devote almost their whole life to the art - Batman has to split his time between physical training, science, detective work, business and being a superhero - he doesn't have the time to master five forms, much less all 127.

Havoc470
imo five is too many, if it were five it would have to be the easiest martial arts that wouldnt be used well against the type of enemies he faces, i think it would've been cool to have him use his own type of style, rather than have him master all martial arts and even then in comics you almost never see him training...and if he is he has no sensei to guide him (from what i've seen at least), which would make it a hell of alot harder in some of the more demanding martial arts

Alienman24

goku-vs-superma
im a second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do and a first degree in Hopkido. to do just that it took me 10 years. i wouldn't even believe he "learned" 127

Havoc470
thank you ever so much, i always ask people if he has actually mastered all the martial arts in the world, and no one ever answers me, even hardcore batman fans were telling me he mastered each and ever martial art, its good to finally read a more realistic resolution

to learn a martial art you dont have to become a 1st degree in it, i've been taking muay-thai for about 4 years now and my sensei taught me quite a few techniques in aikido, hapkido, jiu-jitsu, brazillian jiu-jitsu, and very very basic nin-jitsu......i dont have any degree whatsoever in any of them but i learned a few techniques from each of those fighting styles, so to say he has learned 127 different martial arts isnt too much of a stretch, and i mean that as learning bits and pieces from each one, not the whole art

Gregory
I think what Batman did was take the bits he liked from a variety of martial arts, combine them with whatever styles he did master, and essentially create a new style (sort of like Bruce Lee, I think). It's erronous to say that Batman isn't a "real master"; he's just a master of a unique, hode-podge style.

Bardock42
I think Batman knows parts of 127 martial arts and mixed them together rto become one of the greatest master in DC. Thats my opinion. I think he knows the Basics of them at least (because he made a programme for Batgirl with them)

DarkCrawler
He knows Bat-fu.

lifeisaglich
Actually, if you've ever read the Batman vs. Aliens series, you'd know that Batman has survival capabilities. However, according to the Ultimate Guide to the Dark Night, "There are 127 major styles of combat. While abroad, Bruce learned them all, from Aikido to Yaw-Yan. His knowledge of so many varied disciplines has made Bruce an unconventional and unpredictable opponent, quite capable of countering a Savate kick with a Caporeira dodge, then kayoing with a paw-knuckle strike."

Even if batman know 127 how far would he have to go, to be a decent fighter? He must be at some level to be able to knock boots with Shiva, right?

The way I see it, if you just know allot of moves from different places and then you fight someone like Shiva. The person who is like Shiva is going to beat the other person.

lifeisaglich
When you see the word COMBAT what comes to mind? Does the person know how to fight, knows boxing, karate, martial arts what? The (boxing, karate, martial arts) are just suggestions to get your mind working.

eleveninches
It says that he knows them all. It didnt say that he was a master in them all.

lifeisaglich
Ok but what is your defination of combat? What comes to mind when you hear this world?

lifeisaglich
what do you guys think of this, just read the paragraph

http://www.batman-of-gotham.supanet.com/index10.html

MERCILOUS
"Master" can still be used a generic term, It probably means he knows enough to teach a class in them. Much like the more archaic form of the word Maestro. When you get down to it there's like a few 1,000 variations to kung-fu alone, but is it necessary to learn all thousands of variations to be a master of kung-fu, I think not. After you get to so many styles they start to overlap anyway, only key points are really necessary. Most of todays greatest fighters know about 4 to 7 martial arts really well, but that doesn't mean that they don't pick up all sorts of stuff. having more styles is just adding to your arsenal, it doesn't necessarily make you a better fighter, it just puts more tools at your disposal. Batman is one of DC's best fighters reguardless of how many styles he's actually mastered.

eleveninches
Well, if he learned from each martial art and combined them to make his own version of them all combined, he could be a master in that form of martial art, and then claim to be a master of all of the MA's that his fighting style is made up of

Havoc470
when youre a master at a martial art it means you've mastered it, anything else is not mastering it, each different style of kung-fu has its own name, martial arts could be thougth of as a skill tree, first comes kung-fu then it branches out into different styles, being a master in one style doesnt mean youre a kung-fu master, it means youre a master of that one style heh, there could be a master of another style that can successfully beat you

if it says he's learned techniques from different martial arts it doesnt mean he mastered any of them, what bruce lee did wasnt just mix techniques from other styles and make it his own, he blended them together and then shifted each technique from its original point to a point he thought would be more formidable or faster to execute

batman doesnt use his own fighting style, he just uses techniques from all the styles in his combat, he doesnt alter them in anyway (or has shown to do so in comics)

what COMBAT means are two different groups (whether it be one or many) fighting, it could be an argument or an actual battle, you dont have to be a boxer or have any experience in a martial art, you just have to be pitted against another force

Havoc470
so when it says he's mastered all forms of combat, it means he's a great strategist when it comes to physical, argumental, or tactical combat (which he has shown to prove throughout his comics), NOT that he has mastered a martial art

thats just my opinion, but i think its a good one judging from the books i've read

lifeisaglich
But the paragraph that I presented said that he had mastered virtually every form of combat.

Again not every body can spare with lady shiva because if he just know parts of different fighting styles wouldn't lady shiva be able to beat him more easily?

And as you know Lady shiva goes out, masters a new martial art and then kills the person that was teaching her.

DarkAge
big grinBat-fu. That's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.