Final major project: Dreams and Nightmares

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lara
ok guys the reason I have put this in here is because this is where most of you post.
I need your input as research for my final major project at college. so please, please, PLEASE keep this sensible.
I've attached my project brief and would be greatful if you could help me out here.
thankies! *kisses* happy

PROPOSAL FOR FINAL MAJOR PROJECT
BETC National Diploma Fine Art Yr2

SECTION 1

i. DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES
ii. For the final major project I aim to produce a large mixed media canvas of two halves, depicting dreams and nightmares and the intriguingly strange occurrences and sights of which we all, at some time or another experience.
I aim to show how textures, colours and other everyday things that we come into contact with get mix-matched and jumbled when introduced in dreams.

SECTION 2

i. My influences for this subject come from a book that was recently bought for me, The Language of Dreams by David Fontana. Fontana discusses the conflicts between Freudian and Jungian beliefs about the origins of dreams and how in many different ways they can be interpreted. I myself have a history of highly strange dreams so this immediately came to mind when this final major project was announced. My starting point for this reason is my own dreams and nightmares. I plan to use The Language of Dreams as a reference book and may include some quotes on the canvas. Other historical and contextual references are:
o Louise Bourgeois (and other lesser known female surrealists)
o Dorothea Tanning
o Oskar Kokoschka
o Henri Rousseau
o Hieronymus Bosch
o Robert Rauschenberg
o Jackson Pollock and other Surrealists.

ii. I plan to research the following topics:
o Surrealism
o The Psychology of Dreams (in brief)
o Dream Interpretation
o Freudian and Jungian Theories
o Gothic Architecture
For these topics I will use:
o My own personal reference books
o The internet
o The college library
o My local library
I will also leave a message on the message boards at www.Killermovies.com asking the members about their dreams and how they as individuals interpret them.

SECTION 3

i. The different medias I have chosen to integrate into the canvas are painting, drawing, silk screening, relief and collage.
ii. The 6weeks we have for the final major project I have split up for different purposes. These are as follows:
o Week 1: Research
o Week 2: Development ideas for final piece
o Week 3: Development ideas for final piece
o Week 4: Start of final piece
o Week 5: Start of final piece
o Week 6: Finish final piece, start evaluation.

SECTION 4
Proposed method of evaluation

i. Self-evaluation, reviews from peers, lecturers and online review at the message boards. My own evaluation will be based on this prepared brief and the changes that may occur which will be recorded in a daily task diary.

Bibliography (short list)

o Dictionary of art and artists (the Thames and Hudson)
o Kokoschka (Anthony Bosman, Barnes & Noble)
o The Language of Dreams (David Fontana)

Google search engine:
Searches under:
o Sigmund Freud
o Gustave Jung
o Surrealism
o Jackson Pollock
o Dreams
o Dream interpretation
o Kokoschka
o Tanning
o Nightmares
o Bosch
o Dream psychology
o Bourgeois
o Chagall

Phoenix Aska
You should ask Storm about this stuff!

She knew things about dreams and what meanings were...

I die in my dreams sometimes..it's eerie...

The Tired Hiker
I can't think of anything serious to say. So, I'll just say that. erm

Phoenix Aska
well I got kind of confused with al the works cited and stuff but how are we suppose to help you Lara?

The Tired Hiker
This might help: One time in a dream I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming, and it hurt. So, that whole 'pinch yourself to see if you are dreaming' thingie is a fallacy. You my use that in your science experiment, Lara. If you want, you can leave me as a reference in the bibliography portion.

Phoenix Aska
ONe time I had a dream you know where you have like a nightmare and you wake up in bed only, you're still dreaming and you dreamed that you woke up...

dreams usually cut off at the best part too!

The Tired Hiker
That reminds me of my Paris Hilton dream. cry

Phoenix Aska
whoa!

I've never had a dream with celebrities before..probably because I don't really fantasize about being with them but whatever...

The Tired Hiker
No silly! I dreamed that I WAS Paris Hilton! stick out tongue

dark1365
Some people's nerves are more sensitive to dream pain than others. For example, I dreamed that I got chopped in half by a extremely large broad axe and all I felt was a very irritating, almost ticklish sensation. While others would scream and grab their chest and cry.

Lara
ok this is a really personal thing I'm asking of you all. if you can help me that would be fantastic. basically I have creatively portray visual images from dreams giving hidden meanings to each image and media that I include. my dreams are strange enough but trying to recreate some one elses dream imagery is more challenging.
what I'm asking is that you describe your dreams in as much detail as possible and then say what you think the dream is trying to communicate to you. dreams are visual messages that more often that not dont make sense. if you'd rather not post here then you can always pm me.

note: all pm's will remain confidencial I'm not a gossip and I dont pride myself on spreading rumors, not my style.

thankies guys.

Phoenix Aska
Oh..well that's differrent

lots of money and sex! laughing

I'll give you a pm next time I see ou on Lara...

dark1365
I had this dream 5 years ago, which somehow I still remember clearly.

I dreamt that me and the rest of the grade 5 class were in a big, somewhat crude, raft.
We went over a waterfall, but next thing I remember, we were hanging off by one rope, which snapped.
The class disappeared/dissolved, I found myself clutching a rope swinging out over a huge lake.

Lara
what message do you think your dream was trying to give you, dark?

thanks P.A

Lara
ppl round here dont seem to like me much! laughing out loud

Phoenix Aska
hmmm I wouldn't say that Lara

Lara
eh?

Phoenix Aska
Nevermind..I don't have a clue what I'm talking about..it's not that they don't like you it's more like...they're not really interested in it...because of various reasons...

dark1365
I dunno what it means. Perhaps a downfall in life, but overcame it.

Phoenix Aska
Did anyone else survive in your dream dark?

Or did they go down the huge waterfall?

Lara
I had a strange dream the other night.
my best friend kept giving me keys, he just kept giving me keys! keys and keys and keys and keys!

and yesterday I started doddling like I do when I have some thing one my mind and I drew one strage looking key with a strangely coloured rose on one end and a face on the other. and there were four door ways in the drawing some where.

to me this indicates that maybe I have feelings for my friend that I've say, locked away for certain reasons or there is some thing I'm about to find out about him, hence the key and the door ways which could represent open doors, unlocked doors.

Lara
its funny because we both know this and its just weird cuz every one who knows what a close friendship with have says we should be together as a couple just weird, plain weird!

Phoenix Aska
heh..

probably because you both make each other happy?

Lara
true but realistically its just not going to happen. not any time soon anyhow. he's engaged and I'm seeing his best friend not to mention I'm friends with his fiance. some things should just be left well alone.

Phoenix Aska
Oh yeah then I guess from the looks of things it's deffinetly not going to happen...

Lara
yep. shame really when we're together we make eachother laugh until we cant breathe.
maybe one then again maybe not.

any other dream episodes P.A?

Phoenix Aska
uhhmm yeah..I'll PM you later about it

Lara
okidays. happy

Alpha Centauri
I know a cousin of mine lived with a boyfriend she had, for a long long time. It was a rocky relationship and now she's in her own place, single but happy.

She had a dream that she was in that old house on her own, and where there was supposed to be a fire escape, there was just a dead end. She asked me what it meant and I said that it probably means, she isn't looking for an escape from the relationship or lifestyle anymore. So her brains subconscious mentally blocked it out.

Dunno if that will help. Just a dream and an interpretation smile.

-AC

JLred
I don't know if you need help, but I wanna post this:

Ok it starts off on a fall windy day. All the leaves and other plant stuff is on the floor. The air is dusty like a sandstorm. There are some sheds not painted just barely made lined up in a row. Then memories start piling up on me that im a slave on my free time. I see my big fluffy cat named Tarzan running around. I don't know what kind he is but that hes striped gray,black,and white. He has white legs with a black spot on hes rear left leg. I grab and just start walking. Behind the buildings there is a large never ending fence about 2-3 ft away from the corner of the buildings. I walk along the leaves on the floor. Dust blowing in my face.I walk straight until i hear a voice. It says "Wait up." On the other side of the fence is DAVID SPADE!!!!! He starts talking to me he says an introductory. Then all of a sudden he says "AHA youre a freaking slave. and you suck." My face is struck with an odd face. ANd he just keeps saying that kind of stuff. I just run off with my cat. I stop at the last building its night time. The room is totally empty for some grain stuff and a candle showing it. A glass door is in front. A smaal pane at the bottom is broken my cat runs in and eats the grain. He comes out with 3 small poker chip thingys that are colored one blue and two gold. There really small. I grab them and my cat and run home. The blue coin is to free a slave and the gold is worth $10,000 each!!!! I free myself the I go back and find more of each. I free my entire family and become rich freeing more slaves. Until I wake up.

big grin No idea what it means but I have an idea that it means David Spade is evil inside. big grin

spidergrl
I think I just post:

I just remember that I broke my leg, can't really remember how or anything, but it was a couple of weeks before I go over sea's for a sporting tournament! I tried walking and it was alright, but as i ran it started to hurt. I showed the doc and he said it was fine, but then when he took my show off it was all bruised and yuck so it was broken! I remember being so nervous of what my dad was going to say and everything. I thought i could still use it, but i wouldn't be able to! I decieded to still go over sea's and thats when i woke up!

I am going over sea' s in 3 weeks for a sporting tournament, am i going to have an accident before i go over?!

Phoenix Aska
thanks for posting here Kailey!

*hugs*

spidergrl
No prob!! *hugs and kisses*

I was really scared when I woke up that my leg was still broken!! confused

Phoenix Aska
haha

it's all in your head...

but have you ever had a dream where you've dreamed one thing and like maybe a month later or so it actually happens and you can even recall the situation from your dream?

spidergrl
I don't know, Im careful around everything now!

yes..... confused how did you know??

Phoenix Aska
How did I know what??

spidergrl
that some of my dreams come true!! thats why i don't want this one too, i don't want leg broken!!

Phoenix Aska
Oh..that's because everyone has those kind of dreams Kailey...

spidergrl
but still.........scary!!!

Phoenix Aska
yeah i guess it's scary for you..I men breaking your leg before you go...that wouldn't be very good...

spidergrl
I don't mind that I break my leg, but may be when i get back might be good!

Phoenix Aska
that would hurt to break your leg...and then you'd have to be on crutches or a wheelchair for a while...

spidergrl
you could push me around!!

dark1365
Ever see the movie Starship Troopers? I had a very memorable dream about it.

I dreamed that me and friends were in the mobile infantry together, and bugs were starting to advance on our base thing-thing pretty damned fast. I start whimpering. My other friend(Brad):
"David, will you shut up already?"
Next thing I remember are the bugs attacking. Graham, Matt, and Daniel start blasting, but are pulled under by "lurkers".
Then a bug pounces on Brad. I scream and start firing at it. I blow the bug off him, but accidentally shoot three very large holes in his chest. Ironically, he picks himself off, brushing himself down, and yells, "I'm OK!"
But the bugs run at us again and I commit suicide by jumping off a very large cliff.
But I "float" down and land safely. The end.

I'm retarded, aren't I?

(here is picture of the bugs)

Lara
SG. its just an anxiety dream. may just be that your nervous about the sports tournament.

PA your talking about foresight and premonitions. I've had that many times although not recently. the one that really sticks in my mind happened two years ago.
I dreamt that I was at work and my mum kept leaving me urgent messages that she wouldnt be able to come get me when I'd finished and that I had to make my own way home bareing in mind I at the time I worked about 15-20 miles from where I live. anyhow the last message that my mum left said that she was at the hospital, grandad was really ill and they didnt think he was gonna make it through the night.
at that point I woke up crying. I told mum but she said I was being silly and it was just a bad dream.
three days later when I was at work my mum left 3 urgent messages for my saying that my grandmother was going to pick me up. this imediately rang alarm bells.
but as it turns out the grandad in my dream wasnt my own at all, but my mum's bf's grandad. a man I had never met or spoken to. I felt so guilty cuz he did die and
I still feel sick to think about. no one told mum's bf so that he wouldnt freak out.

Phoenix Aska
don't worry too much about it..you couldn't really see it coming..I mean the odds of something like that happening are astronomical...

Lara
but they do happen and it seems a little bit more than conicidence any how time to forget that one.

btw, did some thing happen? I never recieved that PM.

spidergrl
Are you sure its just that, I mean I don't nervous till the day before or so, and Im not going away in like 3 weeks or so! and Its annoying because this doesn't normally happen! wink

Lara
pretty sure.

spidergrl
thankies!!

Lara
n.p happy glad to help.

spidergrl
does it matter if you dream about something thats going to happen; say my tournament or something random that you've never done or seen in your life??

Lara
nope not at all.

spidergrl
So you can analize everything that everyone dreams!!??

dark1365
wow that's amazing...

spidergrl
dark1365 dreams about me!! hehehe happy

dark1365
how is that possible, i dunno what you look like.
I do wish sometimes that i would be able to talk to you f2f.

psycix
my dreams are always nightmares... sad

dark1365
try not to put your hand where there's a pulse(hearbeat, wrist...)

psycix
?

dark1365
it works for me. if you can feel a pulse subconsciously you're likely to get a nightmare.

psycix
oh... alright i'll try... thanx...

spidergrl
Join the club wink

Lara
like I said I'm glad to help anyone here with their dreams/nightmares and if you dont want to post them here P.M me its fine really I'll help if I can and in the same manner you'd be helping me. smile

spidergrl
I dreamed last night that I liked my cousin wink it was alittle strange!

Lara
ok I found my old dream diary this was back in 2000 before my dreams went hay-wire and got all eek!

it says here december 2000 so I dont know the actual date of when this one occured. I'll write it how i wrote it in the diary.

I was walking around this huge buliding. It was like a lesiure center. I kept walking up and down stairs watching what people were doing. Then these fairy-like dolls were flying about. At first they didnt seem to bother people but then everyone started screaming and running. I followed them outside to find that as soon as I stepped outside my clothes changed to dolls clothes. the sky was dark and there was a storm coming.then the next thing I knew I was on this carriage being taken to some really steep hilly fields.Then I was in the field and I was happily cutting straw, or corn or some thing. the next thing I knew I was running, dragging some one with me to get away from some thing. Then I was standing, looking at the building again an the fairies appared again. no one else was around it was just me and the fairies.

now i've read this again it still botheres me, why was evey one afraid of these fairies. probably some thing I will never find out.

nitro-swicked
messed i had a fuked up dream but im not goin to share

Lara
why not? cant be that bad!

nitro-swicked
well alright. wat i can remember.
i was in a large forest it was beatiful the water was nice clean and crisp and the coulours and the animals were amazing. when i was in this jungle i had a few of my friends with me and there were loads of other people who i hadn't even saw before. we were walkin thorugh the jungle and i was right at the front with like all of the other people walkin in single file and then i heard loads of screaming and cries from the back of the line so i run up cutting throuhg all of the people when i get to the back i see this horrible site with blood and gore and body parts all ova the place and i stood and stared at the sight (i must have stared at the sight for about 4 hours wen i was asleep and in my sleep i could feel as if i was going to be sick)then the dream cut out and i was with my mates and like 2 or 3 of the other people i had neva saw before but instead of being in a lush green jungle we were in like a quarry or a canyon or something like that but instead of there being loads of life and nature it was like just horrible and just dead. then all of a sudden i saw this shadow on the floor and this big thing which looked like it was crossed with a human and bird flew down and grabbed one of the other people i had neva seen before and right infront of my very eyes i saw it rip apart the person ( sick ) then out of no where i saw this little buggy thing so i jumped into it and took off along this road i thought i was getting chased off one of the things then after a while of riding away i thought i had lost them then all of a sudden i saw my mate catch up2 me and he was riding on the back of a great dane (how fuked up is that) then we stopped and we had a rest and we sat around talking for a bit then we decided we had better move to somewhere safer but it wasn't long until we were found by the bird things and so my mate decided that it would be a good idea to fight them (this is quite ironic as my friend also has a great passion for fighting and will take any fight he is givin no matter wat the odds are aginst him)so i agreed with him so there were 4 of the bird things and i was doin wat i would usually do like warming my self up for a fight then i was about to take on 1 then all i heard from behind me was a girls voice say "no leave him he's mine" so i spin around and see the most the ugly mutha fuka i have eva seen in my life and so i start givin the bird thing grief (cant remember wat i said) then it sturned into this most georgeous girl i have ever saw in my life so instead of griefing her i start tryin chattin her up (typical of me lol) but she would have non of it she just insisted in fighting me so i agree to fight her. she the fight started off throwin punches and kicks at me but i stood there avoiding them and blocking them just basically taking the piss out of her but i started to get cocky and she landed a (lucky) dig into my gut and i didn't feel anything but i was on the floor and she was staring down at me and she said "u are pathetic u looked like u were a worthy adversary" so i kick her leg so that she hits the deck and then this gives me time to get my self up and recover my footing when she gets up and says "very good i want more" were carried out friskin with her but then i remembered all about my mate and so i push the girl over and i run to see wats goin with my mate and i see him ontop of this ugly bird thing brayuing the fuk out of it and he looks at me but doesnt stop hitting the bird thing and says "these b!tchs are hard better watch ur bak" and so i spin around all i see is a fist come flying to wards my face i heard the connection but i didnt feel it and then the girl was ontop of me and then i woke up................pretty ****ed up it was pretty long for like 1 nights dream. but i did sleep for 14 hours that night i went to be at 12 at night and got up and 2 in the afternoon the next daymessed

dark1365
Wow that was weird...

Lara
I'll be online later tonight I'll give my input then.
i had a funny dream last night I was looking at myself like a mirror image but it wasnt. which is really weird cuz when I was born my twin died.

dark1365
That's sad.

Lara
kay lets make things interesting and give you lot an insight as to why I cant use my own dreams for my work.

this was a while ago.

I dreamt that I was walking down road in the town I used to live in before I moved to where I live now. (I was watching myself(third person))
there was a kids playground and green as well as a mass of crossing over paths. I remember a puddle but it had no reflection in it. it was dark and it had just stopped raining a short distance from where the paths meet and crossed over was a large wall. there was a group of girls loitering there I recognised them from the high school
I went to and whcuh my sister also went to. these girls were my sister's age and from her classes. as I got closer to them I realised that they were behaving more aggressively than usual (these girls are nasty little b*tches anyhow and used to bully my lil' sis) again as I got closer I could see that they had a blonde haired girl pinned up against the wall by her throat. the girls were being really noisey but I couldnt make out anything they were saying apart from "We're gonna f*cking kill you b*tch" as I got closer still I was thinking to myself "just keep walking, dont get involved, its not your problem! just walk away"
that was until the blonde haired girl held her head up and I realised it was my sister and I froze on the spot. then everything hit slow motion and one of the gang members put a stanley knife up to my sisters throat and the girl said "say Hi to satan for me!" and dragged the knife from one side of her neck to the other. then every thing went to fast forwards and I just stood there, I couldnt believe what I had just seen and the fact that I hadnt done anything. lisa was slumped in a bloody pile on the floor and the girls in the gang just stood there laughing, I couldnt believe that they thought taking a life, some thing so valuable, some thing so fragile, was funny! was entertaining! I started to cry, I still stood there. no police came, the girls eventually left but where still laughing it was like I had been invisible, like i wasnt really there! I collapsed in a sobbing mess next to the puddle about 7 meters from my sister. I couldnt do anything she was gone. the was just her inanimate physical shell left putrid and bloody. it started to rain and the street lights came on.
I woke up and I couldnt sleep again for three nights after that and I cried for hours and hours. point is I knew lisa was fine at her nan's and that she was at least safe from the girls that afflicted her at school. but I couldnt stop the guilt and the grief and the pure untamed pain of lossing a loved one.

dark1365
How the hell could You have remembered so much?

gefallen_engel
I had a dream once in it I walked into a funeral parlor. and my family was there. every one was crying. I couldnt figure out who had died. I asked someone but they didn't hear me. So, I walked up to the casket and laying there was ME. I turned around and looked at every one in the room. just as I was turning back to look at myself in the casket. Marilyn Manson climbed up on my casket and started to sing "Sweet Dreams" that is when I woke up screaming as I do so often.
I think that I have issues. theres my dream Lara. I don't think it will be of any use to you sleep

Lara
the mind has a way of noting every last fetail when it experiances some thing traumatic that and the fact that when it comes to my dreams my recall is very clear and precise I dont know why. may be the fact that it had some thing to do with my sister.

death doesnt always mean death, it marks the end of a cycle. GE it could just mean that its time for you to discover some thing deeper in yourself. then again it could be telling you your biggest fear is letting down the ones you love. either way what we nearly always interpret as a bad dream doesnt always follow. like some one else said try the reverse thing it could just mean that your sarting to live you life the way you want and are haveing a few troubles and others around you think your not going about things the way you should be or they are just jealous because your doing some thing with your life. only a suggest. big grin thanks for posting.

nitro-swicked
dreams are mad. when writing out a dream it seems to make sence for some reason messed

Lara
it only makes sence bcause our conscious mind tries to put it into some reasonable context to have a beeter understanding of other times dreams do actually mean to make some sence.

Lara
ok guys, development work is out of the way now and my canvas is well under way. here is the image diary I've kept for you.

Lara
sorry forgot to rotate the image :s oops.

Lara
you can see some of my development in the background at the top of this image.

Lara
its starting to look the way I want it to but I've still alot of work to do before friday. I've got to collage it yet. eek!

Lara
sorry forgot to include the image in that last one, I'm having a funny day to day!

Lara
this was before I painted the second face. you can see where I've drawn on the canvas.

Lara
this is a close up after finishing the first colour on the second face.

Lara
ok last one. and again you can see my development work in the background. and the work bench although its not much to boast of. laughing out loud

Lara
wow! lota ppl showin interest here! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lara
its the day before the dead line and things have been really good for me to day.

AvP
i love thatg purple lightsabre

Lara
have been able to do alot to day with very few problems as you can see.

AvP
hmmm

Lara
I'd like to thank those of you that have helped me with the reseach and development work when I get my final grade I'll let you know. and when the canvas is completed I'll try and give a larger image of it.

Lara
I dont know if his will be the last image for today or not so I'll say it is and if there are more then there are more. happy okie!

Lara
sorry AvP am I boring you? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Phoenix Aska
dot dot dot

. . .

^
l
l
l
my creative artistic talent!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.