Hotel Rwanda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
It has been a while since any film has moved me like Hotel Rwanda did. It was hard not to be ashamed as a Western when thinking about how the world turned its back on a community because it wasn't in our own "backyard". It was also hard not to be disgusted at the insidious way humans treat other humans.

While the subject matter was disturbing, I was overcome with a sense of pride for the hero as I watch him develop into a strong and brave man who was willing to sacrifice everything in order to protect the people around him.

I also felt that the directing and casting was fantastic. Don Cheadle portrayed Paul Rusesabagina very well. He captured all of the emotions that one could only imagine Paul Rusesabinga would experience and made them believable.

This is a film that I recommend everyone should see.

http://www.ultimatedvd.org/en/Trailers/Details.aspx?Trailer_Id=2142859405

KillTheLight
I've been waiting to see this movie for a while now.I'm definitely going to see this movie it looks great.

Solo
Definately, but I'll be waiting for the dvd. Traffic is horrible going down to the only theatre here that plays indie films.

Morning_Glory
I think I will wait for it to come out on DVD .. but I want to see it

Cinemaddiction
Well, I saw "Hotel Rwanda" this afternoon and thought it was fair. Don Cheadle was magnificent, but the story took way too long to get interesting. It was slow to grab me, and the implied sense of fear and tension never really formulated until extremely late in the movie, right before the happy ending.

There were some scenes that were intended to shock, but it was somewhat flawed. I admire Paul's sacrifices, but aside from Cheadle, it just seemed so uninspired. Guess I'll be the only one to harbor such feelings, I'm sure.

BackFire
Outstanding, amazing, powerful movie, I was in tears during much of the film. Don Cheadle, hands down, should have won best actor this year for his performance. Infinitely better then Jamie Foxx, who was merely doing an impression during his entire performance. The emotional center was stronger in this movie then any other I've seen in a long, long time. It was only made stronger by Paul's characer, who in the film was hiding his emotions from everyone around him trying to stay poised, Don Cheadle did this beautifully, the first time I've seen an actor surpress acted emotions. Stunning film, gripped me from start to finish.

botankus
Don Cheadle has always been a terrific actor. He was brilliant in Rosewood.

Have yet to see Hotel Rwanda, but why, oh why, is it PG-13? I thought it was about genocide!!!!

botankus
Nice to see the interest in this thread.

Jackie Malfoy
If it is out on video or dvd I may try to watch it.JM

botankus
It is out today as a matter of fact.

crickey77
I've been really looking forward to this one. Everyone seems to have been moved by it and it is such an incredible story.

*SpunkiE*
I just saw it and my gosh, i could not believe this actually happened. This movie really gives you a smack of reality. Paul was excellent in it, and i cried for most of the movie...

botankus
Am watching it tonight. It must be PG-13 for thematic elements, though they can't be too detrimental or else it would have been rated R.

botankus
Don Cheadle was excellent, as usual. I hate the fact that he seems to be excelling in those particular roles - he's becoming a typecastee, so to speak.

shugie99
The whole cast was amazing. They were all very convincing. This is a great movie. I highly recommend it. I learned a lot, but its also a great story.

Dudester
I have been wanting to rent it but it has been out every single time that i have gone to blockbuster sad

IceWithin
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Well, I saw "Hotel Rwanda" this afternoon and thought it was fair. Don Cheadle was magnificent, but the story took way too long to get interesting. It was slow to grab me, and the implied sense of fear and tension never really formulated until extremely late in the movie, right before the happy ending.

There were some scenes that were intended to shock, but it was somewhat flawed. I admire Paul's sacrifices, but aside from Cheadle, it just seemed so uninspired. Guess I'll be the only one to harbor such feelings, I'm sure.

are there any movies u actually like? laughing out loud

I LOVED it!! powerful, moving, sad, happy, I felt like every emotion there is!

great ending great actors great movie!!

I highly recommend it!
10/10!!

Evil Dead
I love Hotel Rwanda. Great story about a brave man........made better by the fact that it is a true story. It's good to know there are still people out there like Paul in the film.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by IceWithin
are there any movies u actually like? laughing out loud

I LOVED it!! powerful, moving, sad, happy, I felt like every emotion there is!

great ending great actors great movie!!

I highly recommend it!
10/10!!

One guy shouldn't have to make a movie. I read that there were a lot of exagerrations and liberties taken with the movie. I wasn't moved like you guys were, that's all. Maybe I'm jaded. Cheadle's character was noble, but it seemed more like a propaganda film for some branches, than one to shed light on the Rwandan massacre and its hero.

Dudester
I finally was able to rent it last night but did watch the whole thing because I fell asleep but from what I have watch was really sad but really good

brooksie
I just saw this movie last night, (finally!) and it is compelling!
It bsolutely stuck in my gut. I dreamt about it last night.
I ended up getting up in the middle of the night to hold my baby....

I kept thinking how could they massacre so many innocent people,
so many children....omg...I know back in 94 when it
happened, I was horrified by hearing about it, and
watching this movie was like bearing witness through
this very man's eyes.

Great story though, about how one person can make a
world of difference to so many....in the worst travesty,
there is a hope that exist.

And to Cinemaaddiction...
Whether there were some "exaggerations" or not, being in a city
where hundreds & thousands are being massacred....is a horrifying
human experience. Wondering if you *and your family* will live or die every hour, will be a slow & painful experience. We just had to watch a story, they had to live it.

This movie should be a required material in high school history classes.
Along, with Schindler's List. These film teach about humanity from the heart.

Solo
I thought it was good, dragged out a little to long though.

jaden101
i thought hotel rwanda was thouroughly disappointing and expected the extremes of emotion to be examined much more than they were...particularly given the ferocity of events

i know that sounds very morbid in being disappointed in not seeing the brutality but given that the entire emotional journey of the film is dependant on actions that we only really see a brief glimpse of kinf of makes everything else seem unconnected

BackFire
The movie wasn't about the rwandan genocite, it was about the courage of one man, it's focus wasn't meant to be on the tragedy itself.

Mandorallen
I thought that little boy in the bushes was shot for sure.

jaden101
Originally posted by BackFire
The movie wasn't about the rwandan genocite, it was about the courage of one man, it's focus wasn't meant to be on the tragedy itself.

the courage of one man in the face of a tragedy you dont see

its not like their was even a huge emphasis on his own morality

perhaps i just expected to much from it...something to match the power of schindlers list but i just dont think it measured up

BackFire
It was a different type of film then Schindlers List, despite some similarities, they really don't warrant comparisons that many people make.

And you DO see the tragedy, it's just not the main point of the film.

jaden101
Originally posted by BackFire
It was a different type of film then Schindlers List, despite some similarities, they really don't warrant comparisons that many people make.

And you DO see the tragedy, it's just not the main point of the film.

although its not the main point of the film..the lack of it puts all other connections out of context for the audience...particularly for those who dont really know the full extent of what happened

the only 2 scenes where the director tried to put it across were the scene where they are looking at the news footage and the scene where they drive over the dead bodies (and the bit when he breaks down afterward)

for me...the only other scene that was emotionally powerful was when he is trying to convince the militia not to kill his family and neighbours and eventually does so and one of the old men asks if he can get into the van and be safe as well...a tiny line...one question but it seemed so helpless and desperate

Sir Nauj
very powerful and good movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.