iPods. Are they worth it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
I've got some spare cash and have been considering getting one. Are they worth the money or do they have their downsides? I'm also going to America in a few weeks. How much is a mini iPod in the U.S.?

ElectricBugaloo
Mini Ipods are even bigger wastes than normal iPods.

A 20 GB iPod costs $300.
a 40 GB Creative Jukebox is $240.

Unless you want to pay an extra couple hundred dollars for looks, go with Creative.

Tex
Will a US ipod work in the UK?
You just might want to double check.

But yeah, they're so worth it!
My brother has one and I love it! love

Morning_Glory
i wish they werent so much money

trixygurl
I think they are a good investment. Any thing apple is good. Trust me you'll have next to NO probs with it. I would definitely reccommend it!

SlipknoT
Im getting one soon.

forumcrew
answer is NO

there are many companies that make the same product who have made mp3 players longer and provide more features fore less money..

i would recomend iriver the H320 or H340 = to a 20 and 40gig ipod

however they do several things an ipod does not and you can upgrade the firmware to handle video.. ive used both and love the iriver and i paid much less for it.. Rio also has a more simple 20gig that beats an ipod

Silver Stardust
I love my iPod.

forumcrew
dont get me wrong ipods work great.. its just you can pay less and get more features from a company that has been in the industry longer

Silver Stardust
It was my high school graduation gift, so...love

Tptmanno1
I hate you no expression

Afro Cheese
If you really want one then why the hell not. You only live once. I'm sure as hell not spending a few hundred bucks on one of those things though.

ElectricBugaloo
I still say Creative Jukeboxes are hte way to go. I mean, I can handle a couple centimeters and ounces in weight for $150 less. iPods are basically just status symbols at this point.

pr1983
creative zen is a really good alternative, my bro has one, its great imo. ipods have inferior battery life whic is a big factor imo... in fact battery life is shit... ipod is nothing more than a fashion accessory to most...

Deathblow
^ Yeah that's true. Ipod's do have a few annoying weaknesses: the battery life isn't great (about 7 hours if you don't use the backlight), even at max volume it can sometimes be not loud enough, and it makes an annoying whirring noise when turned off, although you can get rid of that by reseting it when you're not using it.

Aside from that, I personally would say they are definitely worth it. I still find it unbelievable that I can carry around virtually my entire musical collection in this tiny little box. No CD switching, no risk of getting scratches or smudges on the discs, no stacking albums into a backpack when you're going out somewhere. The sound quality is better than any CD and there are 100% no skips. Plus the little speakers you can get for it are amazing. I've never fully understood why people think it's a fashion statement, I just see it as the best thing to happen to the average music junkie since the internet.

Korri
i think i want one but i would probably end up loosing it or something sad

amity75
Or getting it mugged from you on the shadowy streets of Lanark!

Aku

amity75
I still can't make up my mind! Though the creative jukebox sounds quite appealing.

Alpha Centauri
"Will a US ipod work in the UK?
You just might want to double check."

They do. Mine works, as does Vics.

I don't let the status symbolism of iPods bother me due to the fact that I had mine before they took off. Don't get one here, get it in the states. I did and mine doesn't have half the technical faults that have been described.

-AC

Korri
laughing thats always a possibility!

those damn cheepskate neds disgust

ElectricBugaloo
A mini iPod costs the same as a 40 GB creative jukebox...sad

amity75
The main thing I'm after is sound quality and the fact that I've heard some people complain that the iPod is a bit quiet concerns me.

furryman
avoid getting an ipod as first choice erm

MC Mike
As said before, anything Apple with either never break or you'll get some of the best deals if it does.

ElectricBugaloo
...and anything with apple is also very overpriced. I've never heard of a problem with iRivers or Creative Jukeboxes. And the battery life is better.

Mane
www.ipodsdirtysecret.com !!!!

ElectricBugaloo
Mane, they've fixed that.

But they still hven't fixed the horrifically overpriced...prices

Mane
Oh well. I'm anti-iPod.

forumcrew
me either and i have an iriver and i had a creative years ago ive also seen 4 ipods go down

WindDancer
When I have enough money I'm buying me one! yes

Furious Angel
iPods are definitely worth it.

sure, there are other mp3 players that are a lot less money, but an iPod is an iPod!!

they are becoming so popular these days...but my god, they're so sexeh!! an iPod is everything life should be. okay...maybe i'm just a LITTLE obsessive. but if you've got to have an obsession, it's best with an iPod.

also...the quality is perfect, and apple has a great customer service department.

yeah, you could say i like iPods.

movieluver
hmm, interesting after reading all thses opinions about ipods, im not exactly sure although i heard a lot of positive comments. i mean i really want one but im not so sure i want an IPOD, everyone has them, and they are expensive. but does anyone know if there is something better out there, something to the equivalent to the photo ipod, thats the one im particularily interested in. it can hold up to 10, 000 songs or 25,000 photos. its around 5-600$ but i mean come on, id love to carry my entire music collection with me and all my digitial pictures, so i was wondering if theres anything other than a mac product with that technology? i would rally appreciate it! thanks cool smile

ElectricBugaloo
iRiver has a photo one I believe. The screens on all of them are really too small to be of any use for all but close up pictures, so I don't really see the point in it.

Red Superfly
Go for a Creative Jukebox. It's what I have. I like the software better too.

Friends of mine have gone through loads of iPods because they broke. And they look crap.

pr1983
i have an i-river, the actual player never gave me trouble...

my bro got a zen jukebox, its an excellent piece of hardware...

ipods are ridiculous...

room #99
this might be a stupid quiestion but do ipods have bluetooth ?

if not , tell what has bluetooth!

amity75
I got my iPod this morning!!! Ive already shoved about 200 songs on it and, fingers crossed, there's been no problems so far.

Filth
they are a good idea, but there battry does not last long enough and i feel that they have to much memory, something like 5gb is big ebough but 40gb is just pointless

eggmayo
I only have a 40-50 gb hard disk anyway... I have like 2-4 gb of music.

Filth
lol i only have a 20gb hard drive nad have like 5gb of music laughing most of it is random s**t that i keep meaning to delete

eggmayo
I actually like all of mine...

forumcrew
things are positive because ipods arnt bad its just that almost every other company gives you more or the same for less money and most of those comapnies have been dealing with mp3's for much longer then apple has

tabby999
a 20 or 40 gig ipod may seem exsesive, but i'd gladly have one because i could store my movies on there and drag them back out when i want to edit them. there is a 60 gig ipod too apparently.
did any of you hear about the guy in texas who got an ipod really early in the set before they became a status symbol (every trendy **** in aus seems to have an ipod mini now) when people wern't fimiliar with them and didn't see their capabilitys, the guy went into a appliance store, said he wanted to check the compatability with the computers and his ipod, hooked in and copied all the really exspensive programmes from the computers. i thought that was a pisser, i'd have done it too if i had an ipod in that situation

forumcrew
i doubt they would have had the setup files for the software on the computer he likely would get a lot of useless crap doing that.. and you can download any of those programs for free very easily.. and ipods are trendy because people with a lot of money buy things without thinking.. really tech savy people prefer other brands

tabby999
yes and no. trendy people do buy them as a status symbol, but in aus i dont know of the availability of the other machines mentioned, where as ipods are readily available

Red Superfly
Exactly.

iPods are for the "look at me" thing. I can't think of a single reason to buy one over another player of equal capability. They look cheap and when I first saw them I thought "what a rip-off". The prices haven't changed. They are merely a gadget that losers pull out of their pocket and go "I have an iPod - who want's to touch me? I said who wants to touch me?"

The average dolt sees an iPod and says "ooh dat was on TV, me wud be cool if me had that", and goes and buys one.

We have a rule at Uni - if you are caught with an iPod, you get hurt.

tabby999
upon further investigation getting the irivers and creative jukebox's in aus online isn't that easy. i'm sure there are retailers in aus somewhere, i dont know where. thats why in aus the ipods are so popular

Red Superfly
Really?

Well at least Aus has an excuse. We don't.

tabby999
i dont think the Creative Jukebox looks like the machine for me, but the iriver is a damn fine machine. in all honesty, i'd probably still buy an ipod 40gig over it though, because by the time i screwed around getting it here and what not, i'd cost more for me, plus if it was faulty i've got to ship it back to the states (or wherever they make them) whereas there are Apple stores near me to go to for an ipod

Storm
They are worth it.

tabby999
the day after telling you how the Creative Jukebox isn't available, the mini Zen thing is in the paper. but who the hell wants a 5 gig one? and at over $500 i think they beat the ipods hands down in being overpriced

Silver Stardust
My aunt has a 40 GB iPod and it's almost full.

tabby999
yeah i have a mate who could fill a 40 gig ipod 3 times over, if he wanted to that is

dean7879
i love my ipod....id rather have that then cart around a bunch of cd's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.