The Tenth Planet in our Solar System...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan/popup2.html?v=_-XMFn_fgGH4-Zluk-Jj63-qLgL8YI3C

Take a look at that video, you only need Flash 6 I believe. They've discovered what could be the tenth planet in our solar system, and it also has a little red moon. It's slightly smaller than Pluto, and has been dubbed Setna. (sp)

eleveninches
COOL!!!!

Dexx
awh..it's old news.....the setna thing i ddn't know...but it didn't qualify as a real planet, as i remember....cand view the movie on my dial-up, though

JKozzy
It was just in the news this morning, apparently it's being reconsidered for "planet" status. smile

Linkalicious
interesting how they can look at and discover solar systems billions of light years away....and we are now finally finding out there might be 10 planets.

Ushgarak
Well, they have suspected the Tenth Planet for ages, because Pluto does not explain variances in the other eight planets.

BarmyBrummie
what gets me is, How the hell do they make telescopes so powerful enough to actually find these planets anyway? That planet must be billions of miles away erm

Ushgarak
You can see stars from light years away with the naked eye. There are plenty of ways to discover the existence of planets inside the solar system, relatively speaking just around the corner. But it HAS taken a long time, assuming this is all verified anyway. It takes a lot of effort to find a planet.

silver_tears
sleep how snooze fest stick out tongue

JKozzy
I resent that comment! I find it quite interesting! miffed stick out tongue

silver_tears
well you're a boring and dull person then yes

Matrix_man
its called Sedna...probably just a large rock fragment that flew in fom the Oort Cloud and got trapped in an orbit....like pluto, its highly doubtful that its a planet due to the nature of its composition...outer system planets tend to be composed of the lightest elements....hence their gaseous nature. its only the inner planets composed if heavier elements created in a supernova that have solid properties. like pluto, sedna is probably just a rouge asteriod caught in orbit. sedna is about 84billion miles out...its rare for planets of such a small star to be so far out.

Matrix_man
it even ventures out to 130billion miles....with an orbit period of 10500 years...

BarmyBrummie
10500 years?!?! O.o

Matrix_man
yep. Sedna was discovered in november 2003.

A.D. Skinner
Actually from what I have read and heard..planets are not all that hard to come by. They have found other planetary systems just by watching the orbital path of a celesital body. When they notice that this body becomes dark and then light again...they have discovered that in most cases it is a moon that is passing in front of it...by seeing this, they are able to narrow down their search for other solar systems.

With Sedna being our 10th planet...I am surprised that the hubble didn't see this...

With the two missions of Voyager 1 and 2, they left our solar system after Jupiter and Saturn...or else we would have known sooner than just this past November.

JKozzy
Mm, very true yes

eleveninches
They have discovered other planetery systems, but most of them have jupiter sized planets as close to their star as earth is to the sun. This is done by observing the amount that the star's wobble and vibrate from the planet's gravitational pull. The images of them are only computer generated images.

They are planning a huge telescope scheduled for completion in 2025, which will be able to look directly at earth sized planets in other star systems, and even be able to determine the composition of the atmospheres of those planets. This will actually show what other planets look like, showing the structure of the surface and stuff like that.

I am studying Aerospace Engineering at University, and it would be just sooo cool to be involved in a project like that. smilesmilesmile

SK88728
that sounds cool!

BackFire
Wow, this doesn't affect me in any way.

SK88728
laughing out loud

rusky
Yeah...but it's nice to know..

The One Part 2
I read this on Yahoo. A couple of scientists are speculating that there may be an Earth-sized planet out there in the Oort Cloud. It would explain the weird elliptical orbit of Sedna. We may have hundreds of planets in our solar system and not even know it.

rusky
There are many things we do not know..

JKozzy
There are, pretty cool I think smile
Shows that us humans aren't all-powerful after all wink

SpikeSpiegel
I remember reading something about a tenth planet ages ago, it supposedly had a more vertical orbit (rather than a horizontal-ish one)

Matrix_man
Sedna is located in the Kuiper Belt, a region containing hundereds of objects which are potential planets. however, the Oort Cloud seems a little too far out to house any planets in my opinion...

some of the planets discovered are really wierd..theres this one, i forget the name, but its two thirds the size of our sun, its orbital period is about 53 hours, and on the surface it snows solid iron...wierd eh? messed

SK88728
cool!!!!!!

JKozzy
Thought I'd post another article, interesting still: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&e=20&u=/space/weirdobjectbeyondplutogetsstranger

shaber
What happened about Smilea?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.