Yoda & R2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Clai Keboa
"Hello everybody"

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but something struck me last night while watching ESB...

Now aparently R2 doesn't have a mind wipe in ROTS unlike 3PO. So my thought is...
With R2 being such a major character... (GL said the saga is seen through the eyes of the 2 droids - just like an old Jap film he liked - with two servants!), then why doesn't he recognise Yoda in ESB?. Surely he must have bumped into Yoda at somepoint (maybe when he is on the Tantive iv in ROTS). Does anyone else think this seems a bit odd or is it just me?.

Please discuss not flame or close...

Peace...

Oh & tes i am TheStormshadow on TF.net - so it is a copy of my post...
Just thought you guys could shed some light on it.....

PVS
simple: inconsistancy

RottenDarthOne
He did recognize Yoda.

He said "beep beep boop!"

But Luke didn't understand him.

Echuu
It did seem like Yoda and r2 knew each other. They were like joking around and teasing each other like when yoda started rumaging around Luke's stuff. Maybe Luke was too dumb to notice.

jnolan
i didnt really see that seen as joking around, i thought they were more or less fighting, but that is true, as smart as R2 seems sometimes you think he would remember yoda, but then again, maybe he was told to act like he didnt know him should they ever meet again.

Corran
He does remember where to look for Obi-Wan!

Jedi Priestess
Yep yep. smile And I may be brain dead but when did her meet Yoda in the 1st two movies?

Red Superfly
R2D2 will get a memory wipe.

R2D2 never belonged to Obi-Wan - he obviously made that up to get on with his "mission". Obi-Wan also confirms R2 was fibbing.

This means I think R2D2 has a mind wipe and then programmed for his "mission" in ANH.

Yoda on the other hand has probably seen millions of droids in his time, so why would he recognise R2D2?

Jedi Priestess
Actually Red, I thought it was confirmed already by those "in the know" that R2 does NOT get a memory wipe.

Red Superfly
Bah, really? That then, makes no sense.

Why must I always jump to logical conclusions?

I'm hoping that "those in the know" are just Supershadow in different guises.

Jedi Priestess
errrr NO, I dont read SS........this came from the boys at MF.com or Josh, I forget which.

Red Superfly
lol I was kidding......

RottenDarthOne
Wasn't Yoda and his buddy Even hanging out at this thing?

http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/images/galleries/episode1_by_scene/disco_ball_parade/parade_25.jpg

Red Superfly
Look at Jar Jar, look at him, plotting.....always plotting.........

bILLYgOAT
i know he was there, but i don't see him in the pic

RottenDarthOne
That pic took me 2 hours to find. Couldn't find one with the 2 of them...

DARTH DADDY
Yoda and R2 never met. I don't think Yoda was at Naboo. R2 mentions OB1, in ANH, so maybe someone would know where to find him. I think the question should be is did the Rebublic know that OB1 was on Tat.? Or was it by chance that they were near the planet when they were boarded. Or were they going to the planet to get OB1.
OB1 dealt more with R4 so he may not have remembered R2.

guiro72
obi-wan says come here my little friend.....he only says he can't remember OWNING a droid.....and saying "can't remember" is a really handy way to lie anyway....by republic do you mean the empire or the rebellion?.....

and a bit more on topic, check where r2 hangs out in phantom menace....yoda don't hang in no servants quarters....

kremzike
Yoda was on Naboo. He declared Obi-Wan a Jedi Knight in a room at the palace. He attended Qui-Gon's Funeral (as did R2-D2) and he was at the parade standing with Mace & 2 other council members, though they were nowhere near R2. You never actually see a wide shot to know where they are standing. Just a close-up pan down on the 4 of them. You never see them in any other shots. But I don't point this out to prove that Yoda knows R2. I don't think people care too much about any droids other than ones they own, so I don't think that Yoda would recognize R2-D2 unless they end up having some major interaction in Ep3.

RottenDarthOne
Right, Yoda wouldn't care about R2 but...

If R2 was at the Crystal Ball ceremony (or The Globe Of Peace laughing out loud ) then he would see Yoda, and that's probably enough for him to notice and remember him.

DARTH DADDY
OK so Yoda was on Naboo, your right. I remember those scenes now.

It seems like only a few droids have special relationships with humans or aliens. Maybe that's why Yoda doesn't acknowledge R2, or visa versa. Yoda didn't have any use for a droid. They had no relationship.

And OB1 saying "come here my little friend" is him just being polite. He has no reason to lie, well except for the fact that he didn't want to tell Luke what happened to his father.

NoFate007
Lucas gave himself a lot of leeway. If you notice, Yoda never mentions anything about not interacting with R2 or anything. Obi-Wan says he doesn't remember ever OWNING a droid, as stated before, but he doesn't say he wouldn't remember R2. Yoda's scene can be interpreted as playing around OR fighting for real. Plus, Luke can't understand the beeps and stuff, so R2 could be saying something and Luke wouldn't have the foggiest what he's talking about. And you can't even say that the translator on the X-Wing debates that, because if you watch the movie, Luke says "we're going to the dagobah system", he never mentions anything about a Jedi Master or Yoda.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.