Thrawn Trilogy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I read Dark Force Rising first, then I read The Last Command, and I finally read Heir to the Empire. Despite the odd order in which I read the Thrawn Trilogy, I found them to be very entertaining. Not nearly so good as NJO, but good book nonetheless.

Heir referred back to the movies too much I think, but DFR and TLC corrected that...The Last Command was the best of the three IMHO.

LanceWindu
I still haven't read them even though I own them. I'll read them in order.

yerssot
The Thrawn trilogy is very good I think...
I like it when they make references to the movies

LanceWindu
After reading this thread I went and started to read Heir to the Empire. I'm on chapter 3 right now.

yerssot
and?
All I can remember is that it's a good story, and Thrawn is a mighty ennemy

LanceWindu
I still need to get to the good parts.

Julie
You will...there's a lot more story to go.....I just thought that Heir made too many references to the movies....the other 2 books had slightly less and I liked them slightly better...that's all

LanceWindu
But shouldn't books that expand on movies reference to the movies?

Julie
Yes....they should...
*3PO's prissy voice*
I was merely commenting on the fact that Heir could have had a few less references to the movies....the other 2 did...I think

LanceWindu
Oh ok

Julie
So how far are you into the Thrawn books....

LanceWindu
Chapter 11 of Heir

Julie
read read read read read wink .....Heir was good, but I think the crazy Jedi master thing got a bit annoying.

LanceWindu
What's with that guy anyway? A clone of a old Jedi Master???

Chapter 17 now.

Volundro Ramm
Not including "Splinter Of A Minds Eye", Heir to the Empire by TZ was the first EU book written, so not surprisingly there are OT references. The Thrawn Trilogy is without a doubt the best trilogy of EU books written.

yerssot
Yes, he's the clone of Jorus C'Baoth

LanceWindu
I knew that, but it's kinda stupid. Can a clone of a Jedi really inheirit all the Force of the real Jedi???

yerssot
he got cloned from the original one, so perhaps... sounds stupid

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) clones inheriting force powers

The books were good, but like I said, the crazy Jedi Master thing was annoying at times.

LanceWindu
I'm not that far into it and he's going to make me crazy by reading his lines.

Julie
Caboth's lines????

LanceWindu
Yeah, he just seems to psycho. And what's with him being evil but he's cloned after a light-side Jedi.

yerssot
now... telling you would be spoiling smile

LanceWindu
I live for spoilers!!!!!!!

Julie
read read read....and you won't even need any old spoilers smile

LanceWindu
I'll read, don't worry

Julie
What chapter are you on now?.....

LanceWindu
Still on 17. I was really tired the last two nights.

Julie
oh that's right, you read right before you go to bed....i c....well don't rush that would take the enjoyment out of it

LanceWindu
I've noticed that before.

Julie
have you ever done that before, read a book and then had to go back and read it again because you missed everything?

LanceWindu
Only a couple of times. One was Conquest the other I can't remember the title of it.

Julie
Was it a Star Wars book or just some other book?

LanceWindu
Some other book

Julie
oh...well then it matters not if it's not Starwars....J/K
I used to read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books like I read Star Wars books now...

LanceWindu
I read the Hardy Boys. They were great for when I was younger.

Did you ever read the Encyclopedia Brown books?

Julie
No....but I read so many Hardy boys books I've learned the format of them....50 pages open....50 pages middle.....50 pages wrap the story up smile

LanceWindu
laughing out loud

Julie
It's true...trust me I've read over 300 Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books and the majority of them follow that format....if only I'd discovered Star Wars books earlier wink

LanceWindu
Same here. I didn't get into Star Wars books until December of 2000

yerssot
fun thing about offtopics in the lit section: mod doesn't check this place out big grin

LanceWindu
I know this is the neglected area. sad

yerssot
no, ... there is another...

LanceWindu
Trivia? Or Humor?

Julie
both I think smile

LanceWindu
That's what I'm guessing

Julie
I hardly ever even touch those 2 sections...I barely scrap together enough time to post here and my countdown and general

LanceWindu
I finally finished Heir last night. I could have finished it sooner but why rush it?

yerssot
because it's Star Wars?

LanceWindu
No...because I'd forget over 2/3rd's of the book.

Julie
So what did you think of Heir?.....keep in mind I think that the next 2 were even better wink

yerssot
the end was just like in ESB... something that made you want to read the next book

Julie
Yea....I've never read the original novelizations for the OT because I spent my time watching the movies over and over wink

yerssot
there are some interesting things in the novelisations, like Luke has a dog

Julie
Luke Skywalker has a dog eek! haha

yerssot
according to the nov. ...yes... originally they were also talking about ducks roll eyes (sarcastic)

Julie
Ducks?.....ahhh...remind me not to read the novelizations then....but I will read the one for AotC

yerssot
I can hear Mark Hamill say it:
"What's a duck?"

the same with Panaka
"We'll be sitting ducks!"

What does GL have with them???

Julie
When did Panaka say that?

yerssot
he DOES say it, but I'm not sure when anymore...

Julie
Yeah I remember him saying it, but I just ...ahhh...now that's gonna bug me ...grrrr

yerssot
Without the ************************ here, we'll be sitting ducks....

shieldgenerator?
it's not the R2-units, that's OB1

"We're loosing droids fast!"
(good line smile )

Julie
What was you fav part of EPI....for some odd reason I really like the scene where they use the ascension guns to get a couple of floors higher on the palace smile

yerssot
DOTF, just for the adrenaline and the freaking double edge lightsabre!!!! and with my fav char maul!

I tried something resambling that sabre once... almost knocked myself down sad

Julie
laughing out loud what were you doing?

yerssot
that nice move of maul where he twirls his sabre five times about his head... I did it two times and I learned I can duck really fast!

Julie
Practice makes perfect......did you keep up with your lightsaber training?

yerssot
no, threw it away, was from my nephew actually...
this time I want a toy one from April 23, a blue standard

Julie
I want a blue one too.....I only have 2 green lightsabers....also I don't have any blasters so once the toys start to come out I'll be looking for any type of blaster smile

yerssot
you have two green ones????

Can you twirl?

Julie
yea and I have two of Maul's double sided ones, but one green and one red aren't even opened yet. I can twirl the green one but I usualy end up dropping it after a few twirls wink

LanceWindu
I don't own any toy lightsaber's. sad

I hope to get all of them this time around though.

I also hear that if you were to find a Maul saber at Kaybee toy's they are now only $5.

I hope to find one so I can start my training.

Julie
One of the Maul lightsabers came with a kid's costume for Maul....I got it from a friend for my birthday.
I think I got Qui-gon's lightsaber from toys r us for $3

LanceWindu
I need to beg my sister for the money she owes me so I can get some sabers.

Julie
Wouldn't you rather beg your sis for the money so you can buy NJO books???

LanceWindu
Oh I'll definately keep half of the money for NJO or other books.

Julie
other books eek! ??????

LanceWindu
You know, other Star Wars books, not just NJO.

yerssot
NOT Crystal Star!

Julie
Crystal Star wasn't that bad.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
they just invented a new stupid reason to disable the Force, they might as well got back with the ysalamari

Julie
I take it that you don't care much for ysalamari wink

yerssot
ysalamari is better then that stupid star anyway

Julie
good...at least they're not at the bottom of "things Yerssot likes" list wink

LanceWindu
Yerssot doesn't dislike many things. You can easily satisfy him wiht just about anything.

Julie
Being easy to please is a good quality wink

LanceWindu
In some cases...yes.

Julie
confused what are the exceptions?

BTW, how far are you into the Thrawn trilogy?

LanceWindu
I don't know of the exceptions. I was just tired of argreeing all the time.

I am one book and 5 chapters into it.

Julie
cool wink
I see....agreeing a lot can be good, but it never lasts wink

LanceWindu
Yes, because you don't want to be too alike to someone, you're supposed to be an individual.

Julie
Everybody is an individual with their own little quirks ...take Yerssot for example wink

LanceWindu
Once again I haven't read anything from the book for two days. I'm really getting behind since I am getting yet another new book sometime soon.

Julie
well they've lasted a long time without you reading them...I'm sure they can wait for a few more days...while you read some other quality book smile

Jedi Priestess
Whew took me forever to find this thread so I didnt start another....I must admit...after my 3rd attempt at reading Heir to the Empire...I finally was able to get into it. I think reading Shadows of the Empire first helped immensely tho. And shock to me I actually liked Heir..Im about 3 chapters into Dark Force Rising.....so yes yerrsie now you can say "I told you so JP." stick out tongue

OB1-adobe
Can you still buy those books in stores? Also were they adapted into a comic book series? I would like to see that. Since I believe from what alot of you guys say, those books are pretty much 7,8, and 9.

Jedi Priestess
Ok I finished the Thrawn trilogy and the 2 Hand of Thrawn books. These books were pretty good. I do think Mara Jade is very cool.
I am only reading one more, Vector Prime and then Im done with the books I plan on reading except for Jedi Trial and Labyrinth of Evil that go with ROTS and the actualt ROTS novel AFTER I see the movie. OB1 I got mine at the library.

OB1-adobe
I just bought the thrawn trilogy today. I hope I like it. Any others you guys suggest.

Morridini
well if u like the Thrawn trilogy u should read the sequel. The Hand of Thrwan duology. The sequel takes place 10 years after the Thrawn trilogy.

OB1-adobe
Is it just called "the hand of Thrawn"? Is it still in print? What is the whole New Jedi Order thing, and how many books are those?

Morridini
The Hand of Thrawn consists of two book: Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. I belive they are still in print, but since I don't live in the US I cant answer that.

The New Jedi Order (we usualy refer to it as NJO) is the newest Star wars books (at least in time) and is about the Yuushan Vong (spelling) invasion. The NJO books are set 25 year after ANH I think. It is also in this series Chewie dies. I have not read all the NJO books so I don't know how many there are, I think there's around 15 NJO books.

OB1-adobe
yeah the duology is still in print. I saw it today when picking up the others. How do you like NJO? Do you have them all? Have you read any of ther stuff like Shadows of the Empire, or the Jedi Academy trilogy?

Morridini
I liked the three NJO books I've read and are planing to read the rest. No I do not have all of them as I said in my previous post, I only have the three I've read.
I've not read Shadows of teh Empire, but I know some other here have read it, perhaps they can say something about that one. Or u could just open a thread about it.
I've read the Jedi Academy trilogy and they were good, not as good as the Thrawn books, but still good. I think it could be nice to read some of the Tales of teh Jedi comics before reading them. As they give some more background information on Exar Kun.

OB1-adobe
I'm up to Ch.6 on Heir. Not bad, though I am starting to see why Lucas won't let other people make Star Wars movies.

Jerico
Call me crazy but i think the books without Jedi are better, at least the ones which only have Luke are much better (although i did enjoy that children series, with jacen and anakin and etc)

I find otherwise that the Jedi in the other books are ridiclously overpowered, rending apart spaceships, controlling the minds of hundreds of people, seems a bit silly to me.

Morridini
Are you talking about the NJO Jerico, or something else?

ninjaturtle
Whoa its been so long since I last read the Thrawn trilogy I no longer have the slightest clue as to what happened in it. But i have read the Spectre of the Past and Vision of the future recently they're really really good. I like the ending of it (and I dont mean the treaty, i mean the other thing) although I do think that it seems rather sudden..... perhaps a little bit more development could have gone into that area.

I agree that a lot of the Jedi books are way too overpowered and I'd much rather read something like the x-wing series or the hand of thrawn

I am now off the steal.... ahem..... *borrow* the thrawn books off my brother so that I can read them again.

Jedi Priestess
blink if this type of stuff is going on Im going to quit while Im ahead, thats just stupid IMHO.

§pearhead
that's not crazy at all...I absolutely hate the Force (well...carried to that extreme, anyways) and am quite grateful for little things like ysalamari that inhibit such Force use...

the X-Wing series is amazing; I love the politics behind the squadrons' operations.

The Thrawn Trilogy is amazing, props to Zahn on that one.

The Hand of Thrawn is pretty good as well; the Xerrol Nightstinger is a very good addition to Star Wars weaponry.

ninjaturtle
Yes! Hoorah for the x-wing series. Personally I think Stackpole is a genius... although I do think he went a bit over the top in I, Jedi. I mean, he wrote an entire novel based on another book about a character who wasnt even mentioned, and yet seemed to play a very major part in the goings on at the academy.

I can see why GL didnt want other ppl doing his movie for him; we would have had whole armies of jedi moving planets about and all sorts of things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.