post a pic of your dvd collection!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=3122202.jpg
smile

dean7879

Solo
Nice thread thumb up Will post a pic when I find my digital camera somewhere aroung here.

dean7879
cheers
u have a great dvd collection by the way

Solo
Thanks, it could be better, there was a few movies I blindly bought. stick out tongue

dean7879
we all do that sometimes lol

Dr. Strangelove
I'll have a pic in the next few days and nice collection Dean. thumb up

Cinemaddiction
http://www.corsicas.com/corys/dvdcollection.jpg

Here's mine, 204 strong. The stack on the right are the LOTR EE's, Seasons 1-3 of "24", the "Alien Quadrilogy" 9 Disc set and some others. I'm planning on buying a bookshelf at IKEA soon to facilitate all of them.

Cinemaddiction
Haha..this thread reminds me of that one scene in "American Psycho"...

Dr. Strangelove
Mine

dean7879
nice collection guysthumb up

Lord_Andres
Very nice guys, bah I wish i had a camera

Arsenal
http://www.corsicas.com/corys/dvdsrepost.jpg

MildPossession
Will take an image soon when I load on the photo software for my digital camera.

I am going to have to get one of the those shelving units soon, I have dvds all over the place because my shelf unit it full.

Solo
Ha, what a great film. I didn't really enjoy the ending though.

SlipknoT
Nice

Beastro
Mine is weak.Im a rental kind of guy.

Cinemaddiction
So am I, but there are just some films I HAVE to own. I mean, I rent on average 40-45 movies a month, and have done so for 4 months now.

Red Superfly
My DVD stack is all over the place. Some are downstairs, some in my room, some in my bros room.

I don't think you can have a DVD collection without all three Original Star Wars movies. It simply can not be done.

If I put it all together, it would resemble something like yours Dean.

BlackC@t
Shit that's a lot of DVDs'!

Beastro
Rarely is there a movie that comes along that I have to buy.

Cinemaddiction
Comes along? What about the past? I recognize the different levels of fanaticism in movies, of course.

SlipknoT
I buy every movie that I even moderatly like

Morning_Glory
I dont

of course I only have about 30 DVDs

I rent a ton of movies every month though

Beastro
Im not very good at buying movies that have come out a while back even though I really do enjoy them.I usually dont have the money to spend on a dvd and when I do there's usually something new that I want to pick up.I think the last dvd I bought was"King Aurthur" around Christmas time messed

Morning_Glory
King Arthur blink yuck!

Beastro
I actually liked it despite all the crap I was hearing about it.I bought the unrated version so it was extra bloody.I think thats why I ended up liking it so much.

Time Of Evil
I can't get in any closer because i'm doing it on my webcam.

Lord_Andres
Dude your crazy.....^

dean7879
thats one hell of a collection
how many dvds u got there?

Lord_Andres
My guess is somewhere between 1000 and 1500

SlipknoT
notworthy

Time Of Evil
There is 1800 approximately.

I counted 2 shelves and on each shelve there was around 40.

So that x 46 shelves if I counted correctly.....

Lord_Andres
So how long have you been collecting DVD's?

Beastro
Someone needs to *cough*GET A LIFE*cough* no expression

furryman
at last count i had about 13 DVDs

here's some various angles on my collection, sorry I took it with a crappy digicam

http://ngraiders.8m.com/tv_dvd_collection.jpg
http://www.issdesigns.com/images/Standards%20Brackets/Simple%20CD%20DVD%20Collection%20Up%20Close.JPG
http://www.issdesigns.com/images/ISS%20Sept%20-%20web/Sept%20Photos%20044.JPG http://www.issdesigns.com/images/Standards%20Brackets/Simple%20CD%20DVD%20Collection%20Front%20View.JPG

Furious Angel
jez you crazystick out tongue

i'll take a picture later...i've got like 10laughing out loud the rest i'll rent or download if i'm desperate

MildPossession
"Someone needs to *cough*GET A LIFE*cough*"

Why?

furryman- Love your sig, Last Life in the Universe is fantastic.

dean7879
if u have the money...then by all means..buy dvds....i wouldsmile

furryman
big grin thanks; tis.

Solo
You're only like thirteen. I'm guessing that you just searched on google for "dvd collections" and posted the picture here as your own. Explaining why you can't have a closer picture, because you actually don't have that collection.

I always could be wrong of course.

Solo
One more thing there is only 1560 dvds, at most. I counted a little high.

Cinemaddiction
Any chance we can get you to take another picture of the collection, with a piece of paper with your name written on it, taped/placed infront of them?

Beastro
I know people a little bit older than him with big dvd collections.

Solo
I agree, Time Of Evil should definately agree to these conditions. stick out tongue

SlipknoT
I feel so minuscule, i only have about 110 embarrasment

You Suck
I only have 96.

Beastro
55-dvds
17-box sets

embarrasment

Cinemaddiction
Size doesn't matter, because if ToE actually has these alleged 1,800 movies, imagine how much literal shit he must have. I don't mean that in saying his taste is poor, but you'd literally have to have bought some poor movies, as well as accounting for a lot of impulse buys.

You Suck
yes

SlipknoT
Well DVD's do become an addiction, and sometimes you buy movies you only like a little bit

Beastro
There's alot great low-budget flicks out there that you can find for 5 bucks or less and there pretty good smile

Arsenal
I agree, I only buy dvds I know I like. I rent the rest on netflix.

MildPossession
that photo belongs to a 13 year old?! Your parents must spend a lot of money on you.

dean7879
the dvds could belong to his dad

Lord_Andres
Ya more then half of that stuff probobly bullshit

Beastro
Its probaly a family dvd collection smile

Time Of Evil
In saying that you are correct. Myself, Dad, Mum,2 Sisters and Uncle have contributed to this. Alot of them my dad brought, and Uncle, but I contributed a fair bit.

Lord_Andres
yayaya now take a picture of that collection and have a paper with you nick on it, then I'l fully belive you

Time Of Evil
Here. Believe it or not its mine.

The Ones
its true, this is time of evil's collection. im his freind and ive seen it at his house.

Time Of Evil
BTW its the spare room

Lord_Andres
Well thats one hell of a collection, so any good stuff in there like Ben Hur, Citizen kane, or is it just new movies?

dean7879
if i had money then id probably have a collection like that..but all ive got is this ...im a disgrace stick out tongue i need to book my ideas up

Solo
Atleast I was right that it wasn't yours. stick out tongue

Beastro
It's part his.

Cinemaddiction
Partially isn't good enough, lol. I spent the hundreds of dollars that it took to build my collection. Me, me, me.

SlipknoT
You mean None were given to you as gifts?

Beastro
How sad sad

Solo
Word.

Cinemaddiction
A few from the girlfriend, perhaps, but for the most part, it was all me.

Don't want/need your pity. I don't like for other people to buy me movies. It's my hobby, my enjoyment hunting them down, etc.

Leggy_n_Merry
OMG wow I'm proud of you people haha! You needn't feel miniscule SlipknoT and You Suck I only have 37 embarrasment sad But altogether in my house there are 49 (I am more of a film fan than other people in the house) I'm only 15 (well 16 this month) and I don't have enough money crybaby I can't wait til I've done my GCSEs and then get a job YAY! I would take a picture but it's kinda pathetic and I would be put to shame haha....

Time Of Evil
Well about 400 of them are mine, gifts, and money from my paper round.

All my movies are new, apart from the star wasr box set which i Brought yesterday off amazon.

Time Of Evil
Does The star wars original trilogy count?

Beastro
Mine is something my family has contributed to embarrasment.

Time Of Evil
nothing to be ashamed of.

MildPossession
Got any Ingmar Bergman films in your collection time of evil?

Time Of Evil
My Dad might, But i don't

Beastro
So you guys have two dvd collections? blink

SlipknoT
I've bought most of mine, but a few were presents from Christmas or Birthdays.

Time Of Evil
any one else got pics?

ragesRemorse
Dude, you must be really really rich or really really poor.

Time Of Evil
Have you got a pic of yours?

MildPossession
I might put a picture up when I load on the camera software, got a digital camera a few months ago and haven't loaded the software up for it.

Beastro
Here's mine embarrasment

Beastro
Here's a freebie of my video collection!

Beastro
Another pic!

Beastro
Here's whats behind the pic above!

Solo
Wow, there's quite a few movies that wouldn't be worth buying in your collection,IMO.

Beastro
Yeah.I buy alot of cheap dvd's and alot of the other dvd's I have are some of the stuff I bought for when I use to babysitt or when somebody else babysitted embarrasment

Cinemaddiction
Well, the majority of them look to be his parents. I don't see Beastro here as a big fan of Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, or I Love Lucy, lol.

Kudos on owning the FOX Star Wars VHS set. That's actually quite desirable.

Beastro
There mine.Im actually a big fan of the classic shows smile

Solo
I didn't see that in there.

Beastro
Its on my first picture of my VHS tapes.Its towards the right kind of blocked out embarrasment

dean7879
heres my vhs

Beastro
cool

Solo
Ah, I have the newer release of those for vhs. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6304539282.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif

Beastro
Nice.Some old guy I used to live buy had those too smile

MildPossession
I'll take a picture of my shrinking video collection also, trying to sell them and replace the ones I love on dvd.

Beastro
interesting

Time Of Evil
Can't blame you. VHS is a thing of the past, however......

Would they be valuable once the VHS is completely extinct?

MildPossession
None of the ones I am getting rid of, I am keeping some videos though.

Beastro
I keep my video's.Good memories in em big grin.

MildPossession
Videos take a lot of space here, especially with the big plastic boxes we use compared to your cardboard thin ones.

MildPossession
finally got software on, so here is my ever shrinking video collection for now:

1st Picture

MildPossession
Second picture

MildPossession
Third picture, forgive me if there is actually a way to put more than one in one post.

Cinemaddiction
3 weeks and 43 DVDs later..

http://www.corsicas.com/corys/newdvd.jpg

Norma Jean
Wow dude...

MildPossession
I need shelving like that, but need black lol. Can never find any perfect.

Time Of Evil
Nice one Cine

tabby999
bastard wink

Cinemaddiction
Many thanks. I'm fancing it myself, actually. happy

Tosser. stick out tongue

(Think I'm at 260 as of today, added some guilty pleasures.)

SlipknoT
How much is the estimated Value?

tabby999
i wonder if c-dic will send me movies if i say i love him, worth a shot i guess...

hey c-dic, you know i love you right wink

Cinemaddiction
I honestly don't know. For insurance purposes, I have them claimed as $5,000, that's retail value for them all. Thing is, maybe 1/4th of them were bought new. The rest are used.

I've never known you to be disingenuous, J. We're square. thumb up

One copy of "From Justin to Kelly" coming your way!

dean7879
my dvd collection is probably just under half of corys collection
i'll upload a new pic soon

tabby999
haha, i was going to say "well somethings better than nothing" but i dont know wink

blackdragoon
see mine Happy Dance

MildPossession
Would be nice in focus.

dean7879
yeh..but we cant have everythin in life big grin

MildPossession
I want I want!

Deano
not much difference..just had a few more dvds

Deano
closer view

Deano
even closer!

Deano
dodgy angle

Cinemaddiction
Here's a cute little evolution...

January 29th, 2005 - 204 DVD's

http://www.corsicas.com/corys/dvd1.jpg

February 20th, 2005 - 247 DVD's

http://www.corsicas.com/corys/dvd2.jpg

March 10th, 2005 - 292 DVD's

http://www.corsicas.com/corys/dvd3.jpg

Deano
its building up thumb up

PRO-PAIN
Ok here's a pic of my collection taken about six months ago with my old piece of shit digi cam that no longer works....Since this pic was taken I've added a few hundred dvd's to this collection and I'm currently awaiting the arrival of close to 200 more dvd's...

I have right around 1000 dvd's now.

I'll take some new pics of my collection when I get a new digi cam.

http://img154.echo.cx/img154/6061/dvdracksold0sq.jpg

slinger
I have 171, but I have no idea how to post a picture. Not a computer whiz. I've got a few that I wouldn't show anyway, I'd be embarassed.

slinger
Pro-Pain> It's kinda funny, from the color of your DVDs on the smaller shelf, it looks kinda like mine. And is the bigger shelf a bunch of anime?

Evil Dead
I'm not going to waste my time taking a picture..........Imagine a shelf with box sets on them..........and four black CD Project 208 disc capacity cd binders......that is what my dvd collection looks like.

Deano
take a pic...njoy yaselfsmile

hayden's minx

MildPossession
I'm thinking of changing from my x-files video box sets to dvd sets, ah see you have some CSI sets in there, cool series.

ApolloX
I have like 16. embarrasment

serith
I'm at 2048 right now.

I just tried making a link, but because I'm "not known here", I got a warning saying I could not. copy/paste this into your browser: lindhome.com/pics/lmdb/lmdb1.jpg

Cinemaddiction
Looks like a bunch of cases to me, lol. That, or boots. I always say, quality over quantity, and reality over perception. No way in hell are there 2,000 movies worth owning, much less watching more than once, as if you could in your natural life.

serith
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Looks like a bunch of cases to me, lol. That, or boots. I always say, quality over quantity, and reality over perception. No way in hell are there 2,000 movies worth owning, much less watching more than once, as if you could in your natural life.

I use slim jewel cases and make my own covers for each movie because standard dvd cases take up way too much space. I don't have that much room! You can see what my cases look like if you want, I took a picture, lindhome.com/pics/lmdb/lmdbcase1.jpg

I can't list my movies in this post because I'll go over my allotted character count, but i can link to a page with a list i'll make: lindhome.com/tmp/movielist.txt

(sorry i cant really link you guys, something with the forum rules and being new)

Cinemaddiction
Are you registered on DVDAficionado.com or Guzzlefish? I'm itching to see what all you have.

serith
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Are you registered on DVDAficionado.com or Guzzlefish? I'm itching to see what all you have.

No. I have my own movie database that I maintain with the help of one of my best friends. Copy the link i gave you and you can see the list of movies I have.

MildPossession
Dvd cases are only really 2 slim jewel cases big yes? I would prefer to have the original box and covers.

hayden's minx
I've gotta agree.
And yeah - CSI is great- not too keen on miami or NY though actually. I have the two season 2 sets aswell, but one of my mates is borrowing it - I like to turn people onto stuff I like big grin

Evil Dead
If you're going to go through all the trouble to buy cd slim cases to conserve space................wouldn't it be just as wise to do what I did..........buy a bunch of 200+ capacity cd binders to keep them in? It saves more space and costs less money.

ps. I do keep my original cases/covers........they are in my storage shed in big tupperware boxes.

Cinemaddiction
Bummer, I was hoping you had "This Island Earth", I need a copy, lol.

serith
It would take so much longer to find a movie if they were all kept in binders. When I first transitioned I tried that, and it only lasted a short while. I was up to 5, 200 count binders. I moved to slim jewel cases for efficiency, and so I could make my own covers. I guess I like being different smile

Maybe you don't understand how my movie indexing works? I have my own mysql/php database that I query to find my movie to get its ID#, and then I find it in seconds on that dvd case. Each shelf holds 80 movies, so if i need movie id# 1804, i just go to where I think that # would fall, and pull out a movie, if I'm wrong, I move backwards or forwards accordingly. I can find a movie in seconds, versus you guys and having to fiddle fuddle around looking at each case that could take, much longer? :P Plus, using a mysql/php database and indexing my movies the way I do, I can run queries for say, all movies made in 1992, or all horror movies, or movies with peter jackson as the director, or movies with only kevin spacey. Can you do that with just a massive wall of movies in abc order? Uh, I'll answer that for you. No, you can't. I love that feature of my database =)

MildPossession
For finding a film I can memorise where a dvd is in my collection, quite simple. Would probably be able to do the same if I had 2000+ dvds also. And mine are not in ABC order smile

For example, A Tale of Two Sisters is about eight dvds in from the right on my bottom shelf where part of my collection is, and another one called Trauma is about five dvds in from the left on the first dvd shelf.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by serith
It would take so much longer to find a movie if they were all kept in binders. When I first transitioned I tried that, and it only lasted a short while. I was up to 5, 200 count binders. I moved to slim jewel cases for efficiency, and so I could make my own covers. I guess I like being different smile

Maybe you don't understand how my movie indexing works? I have my own mysql/php database that I query to find my movie to get its ID#, and then I find it in seconds on that dvd case. Each shelf holds 80 movies, so if i need movie id# 1804, i just go to where I think that # would fall, and pull out a movie, if I'm wrong, I move backwards or forwards accordingly. I can find a movie in seconds, versus you guys and having to fiddle fuddle around looking at each case that could take, much longer? :P Plus, using a mysql/php database and indexing my movies the way I do, I can run queries for say, all movies made in 1992, or all horror movies, or movies with peter jackson as the director, or movies with only kevin spacey. Can you do that with just a massive wall of movies in abc order? Uh, I'll answer that for you. No, you can't. I love that feature of my database =)

I won't ever go the way of binders, either. If space is an issue, I'd do like I did for my once massive toy collection, and dedicate a room to them. Binders, whiping them in and out in the long run, is eventually going to scratch the discs.

As for your indexing, to each his own. What you do suggests a real loss of intimacy with your library, and that connectivity is something that's important to me. That's why I don't buy every single movie I have ever seen, just because I moderately liked it. Personally, I don't have to fiddle around, looking for a title. Even at 404, I've got the collection alphabetized, and I can find whatever I want very easily.

I could probably do the same if I had 1,404 or even 2,404. I never find myself saying "Hey, I want a movie that was released in 2002!" if you understand my meaning. So, to answer your question, yes, actually, I probably could do that, because the movies I own, I know inside and out. I don't buy movies for the sake of buying them, or to entertain anyone else.

Let's not let this thing escalate into a DVD snob thread, either. Be civil.

Evil Dead
well C-dic.......

CD Project's binders (which I use) do not have plastic backs..........they are soft cotton. It's like your sliding your dvd against a cotton ball.....no way to scratch it.

to each his own though. Me personally, I find it much more time/space efficient.........definetly more efficient than slim cd cases cluttering up my living space. That might be fine for college kids and whatnot but once you're grown, married and have children........most people like to have a decor to their house.........not cd and dvd cases lining the walls.

as for indexing.........I have a movie list on my computer that I print a hard copy of now and then. It is broken down by books (binders), listed in order, each movie numbered within the binder. I guess I've got a good memory but I know which binder any of my movies are in. All I have to do is look at the number next to the movie name on my index list and go straight to it.

If I want to watch Taxi Driver I just go to binder 4 number 3..........or From Dusk 'till Dawn, binder 3 movie 14.

hayden's minx
If you have so many dvds - I say dedicate a room to them, sleep in the kitchen if you must. none of this binders or slim line packs. If you've got a good dvd collection - flaunt in - you never know, using the actual cases may be the difference to someday getting laid by a geeky girl.

PS- Cinemaddicton - That sig and avatar set is the best! I'm very jelous.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>