the best guitar solo!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gwiinlgleirn
In your opinion, which song has THE BEST guitar solo? I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this song but Ten Years After- I'm Going Home has a real good guitar solo. Post your favorite here!

Alpha Centauri
Hmm....

The solo to Settle For Nothing by Rage Against the Machine is pretty phenomenal.

The solo from Beat It by Michael Jackson, as performed by Eddie Van Halen.

-AC

room #99
This is to tough !!

Metallica-Master of puppets - solo 1

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the alien

Pantera - Cemetery gates - solo 2

Metallica - Fade to black

In FLames - Sattelites and astronats

are you sure the solo in beat it was by Van Halen ? cuz i think it was by slash.

ElectricBugaloo
Jimi Hendrix - MAchine Gun. It is the solo that all other solos are judged on.

dark1365
Ozzie Osbourne in Velvet Revolver's "Slither".

AC DC's Back in Black

Alpha Centauri
Ozzy Osbourne?

What in the hell?

-AC

eggmayo
Thats what I was thinking... im pretty confident Ozzy cant even say guitar, let alone play.

room #99
Symphony X - Masquerade '98's solo is amazing, the whole song is amazing they just play thier insturments perfectly.

Alpha Centauri
It's the circle glasses.

Believe it or not, I can see why people think it looks like him. Why they would go so far as to say it is him, dunno.

-AC

Aku
Thes ones from Guns n Roses - Locomotive

You Suck
Living Sacrifice - Symbiotic
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Korri
no expression say what?

eggmayo
Surely, Slash played that solo, how the **** does slash look like ozzy?

Lord_Andres
This quastion is VERY hard, ok I'l put my 10 of my fav solos on the list but they are no order, since it kinda swings whos the better...

Europe - Heart Of stone (Played by John Norum)
Europe - Let The Good Times Rock (Played by Kee Marcello)
John Norum - Eternal Flame (Played by John Norum)
Don Dokken - Forever (Played by John Norum)
Fate - One By One (Played by Mattias IA Eklundh)
Fate - Surgeon In Love (Played by Mattias IA Eklundh)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force (Played by Yngwie Malmsteen)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Alone in Paradise (Played by Yngwie Malmsteen)
Firehouse - Overnight Sensation (Played by Bill Leverty)
Firehouse - Helpless (Played by Bill Leverty)

sry but these solos are by far better then the once you guys have mentioned so far, I suggest you check them out, you'l be suprised by how good these guys are on the guitar!

Smallville
The solo in Jerry Was a Racecar Drive by Primus is cool.

eggmayo
Pretty much any Metallica or Queen song. And Freebird.

Smallville
Lars is a talented one. Thats for sure!

The solo for One gives me a hand cramp when I attempt it.

Atomic Rico
Any or Hendrix's solos

Smallville
True. Jimi is the God of Guitar.

Atomic Rico
I dont think anyone else can play the instrument with their teeth ^__^

Smallville
Although I would love to see somebody play the violin or the harp with their teeth. That would be hilarious.

Atomic Rico
I think the only time he ever did that was on the Dick Cavett show

room #99
michael angelo " the guitar play" is better then hendrix..he does not play with his mouth but if he wanted too i think he could play with his feet!! unbelieveable talent

room #99
Player*

You Suck
Lars is the drummer? The guitarists are Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield.

Filth
Randy Roads - Suicide Solution

Korri
laughing !!

Atomic Rico
Slash=black
Ozzy=white

get it, got it, good

Victor Von Doom
Haha yeah. He is better than Jimi Hendrix isn't he. The person you said.

All Along the Watchtower and Red House, by Jimi Hendrix.

Eruption and Beat It by EVH.

La Villa Strangiato by Alex Lifeson.

eggmayo
Slash is the hairball in Korris sig.. Ozzy is the stereotypical dumbass vocalist

room #99
your not the first person to say something like this before listening to angelo.

ive listened to enough hendrix and enough angelo to say my opinion on whos better. why dont you give Michael Angelo a listen.

here songs that might help change your mind

1. Rain Forest
2. Science Fiction
3. Peace
4. I Do for You
5. Jam Game
6. 2X Again
7. No Boundaries
8. Finish Line
9. Outsideinside

He was not named the fastest guitar player in the world for nothing!!!

smokin'

ElectricBugaloo
Just playing fast doesn't necessarily make you good.

room #99
he is good and yet fast

khalla
um....afraid to shoot strangers - iron maiden.....
well i like it

room #99
rock

coolboarder98
I think Jimmy Page had some pretty good solos during any of Led Zeppelin's tours(their concert DVD anyone?). The simplse fact that he could play his guitar with a bow (and not bow and arrow) and he could solo on his 12 string is just cool. Than there's Hendrix, Pete Townsend, the list just goes on and on. Get back to the roots of rock.

eggmayo
korri will lurve you...

Victor Von Doom
What do you mean before listening to him? When did I say I haven't heard him? Speed does not equal greatness.

Alpha Centauri
"He was not named the fastest guitar player in the world for nothing!!!"

Twista is the fastest (or one of) rappers in the world. He's also one of the shittest.

I have heard all of those Angelo songs, none of them touch anything by Hendrix.

-AC

room #99
Just because jimi's playing pleases your ears does not make him a better player then angelo.

I love jimi and enjoy his music and i also enjoy angelo's music

But the guitar player who playes more complex and harder songs is angelo.

If jimi got out of his grave and him and angelo batteld for who plays more complex riffs and who's faster, Angelo will win.

so in the field of talent and controll of instrument. Jimi loses

understood what i mean ?

My opinion.

eggmayo
The solo on the extended War Pigs is pretty sweet

Linkalicious
I have the Zepplin DVD(s) where Page blows up.

Dazed and Confused (27 minutes long)

I love when he starts playing the re-verb with that violin bow.
Also...watching someone play is farrrr more impressive than just hearing them.

coolboarder98
True. Whenever you see them play their solo you get to see what they're doing to get their sound and whatever else may be happening. Page's re-verb violin bow thing was just awesome. That guy can play.

Sex_kitten
I'll be wierd and say the solo in "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Even though I'm not a fanatical eagles fan it still kills.

Alpha Centauri
"Just because jimi's playing pleases your ears does not make him a better player then angelo."

No the fact that Jimi is a better player is.

This thread is best solo, not best technical solo. Jimi writes and plays better music than Angelo ever could dream of. He's the better guitarist.

-AC

room #99
Technical solo or not. its all solos and technical are harder so that makes Angelo a better guitar player for the matter that he plays more complex music.

Angelo = More complex guitar playing = More Talented guitar player = Better guitar player.

Jimi = less complex guitar playing = less talented guitar player = not the better guitar player.

i hope you understood what i mean!!!

Lord_Andres
what band is Angelo in?

Victor Von Doom
That's technical skill though, many random session guitarists or bedroom guitarists have more technical skill than Jimi Hendrix.

They aren't better.

Alpha Centauri
"its all solos and technical are harder so that makes Angelo a better guitar player for the matter that he plays more complex music."

But he doesn't make BETTER music. That is what this thread is about.

Satch and Vai are better technically, they could never make the incredible guitar music Hendrix could. Nobody could make music any better on a guitar. Than Hendrix.

-AC

Lord_Andres
laughing out loud ^ are you high? John Norum ownes Jimi any day! and Yngwie Is also MUCH better then jimi in all ways

ScarFace Clone
ac/dc

room #99
well thats just your opinion

my jaw drops when i see angelo play!!

it does not when hendrix plays

well hats just my opinion too

Alpha Centauri
"Yngwie Is also MUCH better then jimi in all ways"

No, he's not.

-AC

room #99
rock

PTim
Free Bird's is pretty ****ing stunning, but can get repetitive...

Stairway To Heavens is just adorable, but everyone says that one...

So... Tender Surrender by Steve Vai takes it for me. It's EPIC.

Alborraexnaos
All of these are great solos, my favorite is the solo on "Caroline" by Concrete Blond, played by Jim Mankey. It's not the most technical, but I like it. bunny

PunisherFan33
Gary Ho Ho Hoey he made Christmas classics.......his best is how the Grinch

Victor Von Doom
Music isn't a race.

Norma Jean
The solo in Living Sacrifice - Symbiotic

fallen_lemming
Well lets see. Ive played guitar in pubs and clubs now for 9 years (since I was 14) with many different people and different bands from all kinds of different musical backgrounds and all with there own style of music. One of the greatest things about doing what I do is that I get to see just how much it effects peoples lives. Now one thing ive definitely learnt is that there is no way at all that you would ever be able to change a true rock music lovers opinion of their favourite guitarist because your favourite guitarist says so much about a person. The way they play there music ( ie as mentioned with or without a bow) ha or the style - every single guitarist in the world puts his or her own variation into the style they are playing even if they think they are just imitating someone else. Now every guitarist that is mentioned above is incredibly talented and also very different. A Yngwie Malmsteen fan is so different to hendrix or jeff beck or van halen or jimi or . . .
The guitar becomes simply an extention of the body that allows the player to act out his emotions in the form of music and because no two people are the same, neither are two guitar players styles ever really all that similar. Because of this I don't think you could ever say that this solo is better than that or so on. You can on the other hand say what you prefer. so . .. . . (eventually - very sorry to have droned on but I really do love my guitar talk) here is some songs that contain some of the solos that I believe are truly awesome. You should check them out if you havent already. Pink Flloyd - comfortably numb, john norum - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays gone (one of the most emotional guitar pieces ever), Jimmie Page - stairway to heaven (obviously), slash(guns n roses - november rain(just pure class), Lynyrd skynyrd - freebird(just jaw dropping around 6 min mark and after). I have alot more if people are interested just say.
Nice reading through all your messages
Bring back real rock!
Simon (just another fallen lemming lead guitarist) if we ever do a gig near you come check us out. Although actually - dont! After talking about all the greats I think Ill just play at home from now on lol. Cya

alic88
Edv- Beat it
Pink Floyd- Coming back to life
Faraz Anwar- Aag

eggmayo
Queen - We Will Rock You, Bohemian Rhapsody

Korri
I love queen...

my one of the guys we hang around with kinda put me off them a bit because he rants so much about how they are touring with the lead singer of Free and how he sang through Brian May's solo at the UK Music Hall of Fame award ceremony

shut up idiot...

Filipinpman
Carlos Santana has countless solos that will make your hairs stand on end, so does Duane Allman. On the topic of who's the best technical guitarist crap, there would be no Yngwie, Satriani, Vai, SRV, EVH or Michael Angelo if Jimi Hendrix had not innovated or popularized alot of the techniques that the aforementioned guitarists use. And if you want to argue who is the best technical guitarist and who is the fastest in the world, the answer is quite simple JOHN MCLAUGHLIN. not one of those fruitcakes could match him technically or in terms of speed. John McLaughlin would outpick on the planet, check out his guitarwork with the Mahavishnu Orchestra with Carlos Santana, as well as with Shakti. You will understand right away what I am talking about.

FEDFAN316
angus young...hes awesome as a guitarist

Zippie
Here are my top 5:

1. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen(Eruption, Guitar Solo from Live without a Net)
2. Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne(Crazy Train, Mr. Crowly)
3. Yngwie Malmsteen(Black Star, Far beyond the Sun)
4. Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits(Solo from Sultans of Swing, Solo from Tunnel of Love)
5. Ulli Roth & Rudolf Schenker - Scorpions(Rock you like a Hurricane, Noone like you)

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Filipinpman
And if you want to argue who is the best technical guitarist and who is the fastest in the world, the answer is quite simple JOHN MCLAUGHLIN. not one of those fruitcakes could match him technically or in terms of speed. John McLaughlin would outpick on the planet, check out his guitarwork with the Mahavishnu Orchestra with Carlos Santana, as well as with Shakti. You will understand right away what I am talking about.

I don't think he is on Satriani's level, or Vai's.

-AC

narcil
pretty much any of jimi hendrix.

highasakite
HIGHWAY SONG by BLACKFOOT
TELEGRAPH ROAD by DIRE STRAIGHTS

guitarplayr467
In my opinion Music and guitar playing isn't all about technical. On a Technical Level I'm probably better the Jimi. But that doesn't mean my music is nearly as good as his. Music is all about collaboration of different interments, it doesn't mean anything unless it sounds good.

golem370
Yngwie Malmsteen is a the most technicaly proficent and fastest players and one of the greatest I have ever heard I don't know if you consider Arpeggios from hell a solo but damn! Also Ted Nugent Strangle Hold. I like any guitar solo's of the two guitar players from slayer.The Guitar Solo by Zakk Wylde in Super terriorizer.Mr Scary George Lynch

golem370
I liked Gary Moore in Cold day in hell. Stevie Ray Vaughan in Texas Flood. Jeff Healy in My Guitar gently weeps.

Bierbommetje
Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde
ZZ Top - La Grange
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
The Commodores - Easy

Mr. Bacon
angus young's many solos jimi and SRV all

Droopy
Solo from fade to black and master of puppets by kirk hammet

alic88
Originally posted by golem370
Yngwie Malmsteen is a the most technicaly proficent and fastest players and one of the greatest I have ever heard I don't know if you consider Arpeggios from hell a solo but damn! Also Ted Nugent Strangle Hold. I like any guitar solo's of the two guitar players from slayer.The Guitar Solo by Zakk Wylde in Super terriorizer.Mr Scary George Lynch

Even though Yngwie is without any doubt a revolutionary guitarist, his recent albums are nothing fresh, his music sounds monotonous to me

VoodooChile89
Yeah Zippie! FINALLY somebody is giving recognition to Randy Rhoads! As of best guitar solo...

Little Wing - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (the entire song!)
ANY SOLO BY ZAKK WYLDE... he is a God!
the solo on Demon's Eye - Deep Purple is good
and finally... The Head-Cuttin' Duel in the Movie Crossroads (with the karate kid in it)... it was played by Steve Vai and Ry Cooder.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by guitarplayr467
In my opinion Music and guitar playing isn't all about technical. On a Technical Level I'm probably better the Jimi. But that doesn't mean my music is nearly as good as his. Music is all about collaboration of different interments, it doesn't mean anything unless it sounds good.

Allow me to just regain the composure I am about to lose from violently gutlaughing at this post, then I shall reply.

-AC

Smasandian
I think Jimi Hendrix guitar solo's have more life, passion and feel than anything Vai, Satriani or similiar technical crazy ass fast guitarists ever had.
He's little hooks, bends, harmonics, slides and hammer-ons are so enjoyable to listen to over and over again.
Crazy ass fast guitarists are all about precision while Jimi is all about improvisation and music.

eggmayo
The best solo's, in my opinion, are ones that sound 'pretty'.
Sounds stupid, I don't really dig the whole shred shiteass solos, or Satch, really.
Slow is fine, look at Whiskey in the Jar by Thin Lizzy, it sounds great.
Pink Floyd solo's sound awesome too.

Oh yeah - any Rage Against the Machine songs.. jeez, how DID i forget?

Alpha Centauri
It depends on what criteria we are judging 'best'. If best in this case, means most technically able, then it will include Satch, Vai and the like.

If not, then it probably won't.

-AC

eggmayo
I can understand that they're the best technically, but they dont sound the best.

Alpha Centauri
Read my post again.

-AC

golem370
Have you guys heard some of Gary Moore's Blues Guitar playing it great.

Grimm Reaper
Beyond The Realms of Death - Judas Priest (both solos)
The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden

jockjanson
Its been forever since I've dusted off my Iron Maiden LPs. I think I need to do that this weekend.

I know its been mentioned, but Eruption always gets me.

Quiero Mota

knight
Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow

jkl8
Originally posted by Atomic Rico
I dont think anyone else can play the instrument with their teeth ^__^

i think yngwee malmsteen is even better in playing his guitar with his teeth than hendrix was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.