Should there be cig. smokeing heros?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maelstrom
Opinons Happy Dance laughing out loud

ScarletSpider
I don't really care. There are bound to be cigarette smoking people, so I guess there are bound to be some smoking heroes. I'm surprised there aren't more actually, when a good deal of the characters were created between the 40's and 60's when smoking was at its most prevalent.

Napalm
Well wolverine and punisher smoke

Gregory
So does Constantine; I don't see why there shouldn't be.

ScarletSpider
I don't think there should be an smoking heroes in the Marvel Age books, as those are targeted towards younger readers, and one doesn't want them to start puffing away on the cancersticks. But in regular comics, it should reflect real life. Some people smoke, some people are homosexual, some people are aliens supercharged by yellow sun radiation.

Napalm
Well I dont really care either way

who?-kid
Yes I agree. Comics should, in some way of course, reflect real life - if it's possible. But this means also smoking characters.

And of course smoking characters who eventually die of lungcancer caused by smoking, after haver contributed to the air pollution.

vaya_the_elf
I think it depends on the character

David Duchovony
Don't you squares know smoking is cool and so is drinking 8 glasses of gravy a day. AAAAAA!!!!!!!!!(Happy Days allusion).

SnakeEyes
Its funny when Wolvie smokes, because he has a healing factor, so it does not affect him negatively

Lord Shadow Z
Maybe the cigarette could become a kind of need for a certain mutants genetic make-up and he/she has to regulary smoke. Not that I advocate smoking because its a bad thing to do to yourselves.

Empath
I'd also like to see some of the young mutants get themselves tattoos.
I think Bishop and Rachel would do good with someone under their wing like Wolverine had Shadowcat.
It'd be cool if Bishop got a young black kid, with a tat.

radioboy121
I can't see Nick Fury without a cigar in his mouth.

Wolverine not only smokes, but he has shown to dispense with them by swallowing them (i.e. Jean told him to put it out during the beginning of Legion Quest when Legion was still comatose in the hospital).

ScarletSpider
Empath: As to there not being more tattooed comic book characters, I think that's mostly because of, who wants to draw all those intricate patterns EVERY panel? Did you read the Ultimate X-Men arc with Mister Sinister? He was a heavily tattooed gun toting psycho. Panel to panel his tattoo's were all different, and by the end the artist kind of gave up and just squiddled and made fiddily patterns on his arm.

Simple stuff like Bishop's M over his eye and other random scars and stuff are fine, because they're not that hard to draw, but in an artist's place, do you want to concentrate that hard and spend a day just on someone's arm? Heck, even the little stuff sometimes gets overlooked, in Thunderbolts Hawkeye recieved a cut to his face and thus recieved a good sized, noticable scar on his lip. Only Mark Bagely--the man who introduced the look, and Stefano Raffaele who followed up in Hawkeye's fairly recent solo series (written by Fabian Nicieza who was the writer on Thunderbolts when the scar appeared and no doubt due to Stefano's great realistic style, he pays close attention to lots of things and history).

So if artists can't be bothered to dash two lines on someone's lip, how're they going to even think about drawing all those tattoos? Even simple ones.

radioboy121
When they illustrate group types like the Yakuza (i.e. Hand) or Serpent Society, many members are heavily tatooed, but are often just shown clothed.

who?-kid
They get paid for their art work. So it better be good. If a scar or a tattoo is too much work or too much to remember, I'd fire his ass.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.