"poseurs"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gwiinlgleirn
What do you think the correct definition of a "poseur" is? I say it's one who thinks that by dressing or acting in a certain way they will gain a certain level of respect. Agree?

Victor Von Doom
Yes, but why is it in the Music forum?

Atomic Rico
To me, the definition of poser is "punk"

Df02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39433000/jpg/_39433355_pg_good_charlotte.jpg

altho i own that fred perry jacket thumb up and unashamadly admit that cos its a very nice jacket

EDIT: note theyre standing infront of a kerrang wall... adds to the poseurness cos Kerrang = poseur

gwiinlgleirn
I"m talking about music poseurs you dip

SlipknoT
here it is http://homepages.wmich.edu/~e2wither/simple%20plan.gif

Atomic Rico
no no, this is what posers should look like
http://www.symynet.com/online_gift_shop/artwork/new_avril_lavigne.jpg

http://members.aol.com/billiejinx/grwdstk1.jpg
http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/atlantic/simpleplan/0303_simple_plan_b.jpg

Df02
hang on.....GC and that band really look sooo similar....

bald guy in both....
guy with crappy moheekan in both...
guy with bandana and ridiculously wonky hat in both...
stupid expressions in both...

infact, i think theyre actually the same band... or atleast manufactured from the same mould

EDIT: the pic Slipknot posted i mean

Elanor
no, its not "poseurness", its a style, you know wink

Atomic Rico
yeah, but why do punks have to make people think their "tough" and "against society" and "anti-bush"?, yknow, all that bs

Elanor
hmm...*thinks* yes they may be poseurs! i mean...these are the traits of this style....and OF COURSE it contains a bit of poseurness or how you say it big grin but which style does not? smile and when billie joe from green day kisses a guy on the stage THAT is poseur or when they burn up the drums, THAT is poseur....its true....but they can do it....a lot of ppl like their music eg me and i dont care what they do, coz i love their MUSIC and this is what matters for me

and when their music is posuer, too? i dont care i still like it big grin

do i become a poseur too coz of it?

SlipknoT
Green Day arent really

Atomic Rico
I know, I dont have a problem with their music-I just think punk bands are trying too hard to be controversial

Atomic Rico
But Avrile is big grin

gwiinlgleirn
I don't think greenday is a poseur but I do think they're extremely overrated and they singer's voice sounds like he has a cold and it bothers me more than almost anything.

SlipknoT
Needless to say

Atomic Rico
Oh my god! somebody finally agrees with me that Billy Joe's voice sucks! He needs to blow his nose

Billy Joe Armstrong is this generation's Ozzy Osbourne-His voice sucks, but everybody likes him for some reason

Elanor
his voice does not suck big grin

Atomic Rico
jerry
lol Ive been waiting for a chance to use that smiley

gwiinlgleirn
Whatever man, your own opinion. But you can't disagree, he does sound like he has a cold.

Atomic Rico
While were on the subject of bad punk rock voices, lets mention the godfather of punk: Sid Vicious, his voice was downright painful to listen to, the only reason they let him be the lead singer was becuase of his stage attitude

gwiinlgleirn
Haha Sid Vicious rocks. He couldn't play the bass for shit. They unplugged his amp on stage cuz he sucked so bad. I think it's hilarious

ElectricBugaloo
there is very little real punk left today. I can't really think of a punk band that has made it on the national level.

Atomic Rico
Here my friends, is the only good punk band
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JGAB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ElectricBugaloo
ATomic, GTFO. There are dozens of great punk bands.

The Clash, X, The Germs, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc.

Atomic Rico
I like Black Flag, Henry's pretty cool

Deathblow
So Johnny Ramone, Jello Biafra, Joe Strummer, Sid Vicious and Henry Rollins are posers?

People who call themselves punk now, with a few possible exceptions are posers, but back in the day, punk really meant something. It wasn't just a dress code and fake attitude like it's become now.

gwiinlgleirn
I'll have to disagree with that Ramones thing. They're OK. Not that great and definately not the best punk band. I like Choking Victim they're pretty good.

Atomic Rico
Let me rephrase my earlier statement: POP-punk is the definition of poser

SlipknoT
What about the Misfits?

gwiinlgleirn
The Misfits I have nothing against

Furious Angel
just to clear things up...pop-punk is an oxymoron. it's more like pop rock.

there is no such thing as a poser. anyone can be whatever the hell they want to be without getting crap for it. nobody is so incredibly original that they are in a position to be saying that another person is a poser.

Atomic Rico
thats beautiful man

Red Superfly
This thread is so full of shit.

Atomic Rico
Id have to agree, superfly

Darth Revan
I hate the word "poser," especially when it's spelled "poseur." There is such a thing as misusing an attitude/style and cleaning it up so everybody likes it all of a sudden, but it should never be called that. Anybody who calls another person a poser is a tryhard and frankly a poser themselves, as much as I hate to use the word.

Furious Angel
i agreeyes

Ronny
thats because the ramones were the original, 'punk' band. there are more descent ones, sex pistols yes

Ronny
the misfits? blink hardly...

Atomic Rico
you can actually stand Sid's voice? Johnny is pretty cool though

Ronny
no people who call themselves punk at all are 'posers'. No punk band 'back in the day' called themselves punk. and none should now

Ronny
Sid was the bass player, Johnny was vocalist roll eyes (sarcastic)

Furious Angel
sid sang too...he had albums.

Darth Revan
"We're not punk, we're the Sex Pistols." smokin'

Ronny
Oh yesh nivek, you know what im talking about eek!

Ah, i stand corrected, thank you happy

ElectricBugaloo
The SEx Pistols sucked. They were made to sell clothes.

Ronny
i love them yes pitty...

Atomic Rico
cmon, rolling your eyes isnt nice, I read a childrens book on rock stars that said Sid was the lead singer

Ronny
confused then that book was wrong

hes only famous because hes ODead blink

Darth Revan
laughing out loud ODead

Atomic Rico
thats HILarious

brandino
posers otherwise known as shallow people who are inable to make up a personal identity of there own by stealing from everyone else just as those stole it from others

Elanor
yes, kinda!

but in the end how will we know, who stole and who was the original one??? okay, just kidding wink

hmm billie joe once said sth and if i wrote it here, im sure, you all would say oooohhh, how poseur and things like that coz its sth like that with the sex pistols...but i like that line laughing

anyhow eek! it doesnt matter whether i write it or not coz you hate him anyway happy so...."punk rock is dead. and i f*cking killed it" shifty whahaha...i know you all say now: how true laughing i dont care happy *daydreams of a green day concert, she might go someday*

Deathblow
Plenty of punk bands call themselves punk, NOFX say it like every other song blink

Ronny
oh yeah droolio another 'funny word' score for Neera!

tabby999
Sid sucked in all aspects really, he sung like shit, he played bass even worse, he was a shitty human being, he ruined the Sex Pistols (but then again, he added alot of the legend to the band by being such a massive tool)...dont know whether to love him or hate him really

Atomic Rico
Johnny was the true heart of the band, and today hes actually a really cool and nice guy

Victor Von Doom
Then why give a general definition, you equally inoffensive insult.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.