Audition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
Anyone seen this japanese gem, it's maginficent, one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. I highly suggest everyone see it, it's very well done, much better then ichi the killer, which was directed by the same guy

Dogbert
Do they sell it in stores or you got it online?

Asami
ooh ooh!!! Hands up!!

This has got to be the most artistic disturbing movie I'd ever seen. I really rate it!

Bit slow to begin with but it just really plays with the mind, haven't watched it? WATCH IT!!!!

Asami
Dogbert - you can get it in stores, maybe under world cinema

BackFire
I rented mine at a local blockbuster, it was in the forum section. It's available at many online retailers. I wouldn't suggest purchasing it...it's not the type of movie you'd want to watch numerous times... It's a great rental though, especially if you like movies that will disturb you greatly and make you feel queezy.

Striel
Is it gory or more subtle?

BackFire
It's not gory really, it hints at the acts rather then bluntly showing them.

DeNiro
Him Ill go out and try to find it now

amlap
yeh isaw this and was gonan rent it... so when i get the money its as good as mine

tabby999
yeah that guy who makes Ichi makes a ton of movies

HockeyHorror
haven't seen Audition.

BadKitty
I'm having a terrible time finding this and Ichi the Killer...it looks like i will have to buy it in order to see it erm

tabby999
nah man, find someone with it and get them to burn you a copy. sure its piracy, but fcuk, the movies not that awsome. but if you see it and like it, buy it. i read a thing saying the guy who made ichi made 3 movies other than ichi in the one year. work-a-holic or what!

BadKitty
wish I could..but I am the only person who has even heard of these movies,so I won't have luck going that route.

I seen a list of Takashi Miike's movies it looks like he is the Japanese version of stephen king...he cranks out allot of films.

I will call around further out of the area before I buy, maybe I can find it that way..though I am sure lazy to be driving 30mins to get a movie sad

Cinemaddiction
Speaking of Miike, I watched 1/2of "Dead or Alive", and lost interest. It was the R rated version, but I don't think even an explosive 2nd half could have saved it for me.

I saw "Audtion" on DVD, used, for $10 at a local record store.

pr1983
i have it on dvd, one of the best horror movies ive ever seen, from start to finish following the poor guy into this womans world, brilliant, cant speak highly enough of it.

HockeyHorror
finally watched it...

nasty movie no

evil face

BackFire
There was a neat special on Bravo this weekend called "100 top scary movie moments". Auditions ending got number 12 I think. Definately deserves to be taht high.

Lord_Andres
Offtopic sry, so who was in the top 5?

BackFire
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Psycho
3. Exorcist

This is where I stopped watching...but the top two were Alien and Jaws, I don't know what order.

pr1983
audition deserved its high standing.

zombieman
I'll never forget the scene where she hacks through the guys bone with the wire. Ouch!!

pr1983
yeah, i know, and she seemed like such a nice girl

HockeyHorror
2. Aliens
1. Jaws

SaTsuJiN
2. Alien (by Ridley Scott)
1. Jaws

although Im very happy that alien got #2 since I love that movie so damn much.. I'm not sure why Jaws deserved 1st place...

but yeah audition looked good I wrote down the name for when I go to blockbuster

tabby999
have you see (off the topic) the DVD "boogeymen," its supposed to be like the "top 100" BF mentioned but its utter shit, dont get it, it has good movies but shit parts

BadKitty
I finally got my hands on a rental that was really beat up and subtitles didn't work,but i sat through it any way.

I am glad I took everyones advice and rented instead of buying.I did really like it,despite the fact I could only understand a couple of words here and there.

but I'll face it,I only watched it for the disturbing torture scene,and I wasn't disappointed either.that was one of the must lumped up things ever put to film.

it deserved the high rating it got on bravo's list.

BackFire
Glad you liked it Bk, the stuff in that movie truley is disturbing.

BadKitty
I did like it but the ending kinda confused me,I couldn't figure out which thing was really going on..I am thinking it was what was happening to his feet that was the reality..I might have figured it out better if I could have understood more of what they were saying.

though I know who ever thought that stuff up is a real sickie smile

tabby999
Jaws deserves top spot (sorry to go off topic), its scary as hell, especially when you only see the shark in the last bit of the movie, and even then, not all that much its sort of BOOM all at once

BadKitty
I think I need to watch jaws again becuae I don't remember being scared by that movie.. embarrasment

MildPossession
I love Audition! I like all of Miike's films, well most that I have seen which is nearly all of them. Still must get this on dvd! is there an uncut dvd of any sort, or good versions of the dvd.

Have you seen one of his latest ones; One Missed Call, I thought this was wonderful, not gory/full of sex like most of his films, just along the lines of Ringu/Dark Water/Ju On. Got some good scenes in.

Mr Zero
Ohhh.. I'm glad you liked it BK: But one of the things that got to me good about Odishon was that it worked as a drama first. It's an interesting film about a sad lonely guy, and then it's a SHITSTORM of nasty.

Cinemaddiction
Guess who's watching "Audition" this weekend. I'll be sure to chime in. Going to take in "Living Hell" (iki-jigoku) also.

BackFire
C-man, keep in mind it's very slow, just a warning.

pr1983
yeah, it takes a while to get going, but its worth it.

BadKitty
I wonder how they played the advertisements for this movie over in japan. what if they showed trailers for it leading people to believe it was a romantic drama and didn't revile the twisted ending..now that would be pure genius! eek!

Cinemaddiction
This movie was shit.

What's all the hype about!? I sit around and watch 115 minutes of what looks to be a Asian version of "Basic Instinct"/"Fatal Attraction" with even more wooden acting, elementary school dialogue, horribly apparent jumpcuts and poor editing, for the most AMATEUR "shocking" ending I have ever seen?

It's like Miike lost track of time, forgot to add the "shock", and devotes 10 minutes to a bunch of uninspired, pointless "torture" that I just sat staring at blankly? This makes "8mm" look like a ****ing Oscar sweeper. After watching this, "Ichi", and "Dead or Alive", I consider this Miike character to be sorely overhyped.

Not to be mean, but you guys are coming off like a bunch of lightweights? What gives?

BackFire
Yes, well you can go watch Chronicles of Shittic or AVP then.

Or will this be another, 28 Days Later/TCM that you will hate after the first viewing and then love after a second viewing? Seems it takes you a few viewings to "get" some of the better films out there that aren't filled with shitty special effects and one liners that 13 year old boys will be repeating for the next 3 months and the intelectual deepness of a TNT tv movie. I guess time will tell.

As for the movie, it's an indepentant film that had no budget, you can't expect miracles. Of course the acting wasn't top notch, but it's not as bad as it was in...say...well, either of the movies I mentioned above. Acting is a very small part of a film like this, it's a film made good by the tempo and atmosphere, which is the next point I'm going to make.

You're complaint of "he forgot to add the shock" is silly. The fact that it took so long for the shock scenes to appear is the films strongest point. It didn't have anything leading up to it, it catches us off gaurd unless you know what to expect. As you watch it it's just a film about a lonely guy trying to find love, then over the last 20 minutes its tempo changes dramatically from a drama to outright horror. The fact that he didn't build up the tension or anything is brilliant, it comes out of nowhere, and when it comes it's so extreme that it's hard to believe it's the same film you were watching 5 minutes ago.

But, in the end, this isn't a film about a shock ending, or torture scenes, or a guy in a burlap sack that is missing his hands, eyes and tongue that eats milk out of a bowl. It's a film about a lonely old man who wants nothing more then to find love after suffering a tragedy, and how his desperation for love eventually leads him into another tragedy.

Watch it again sometime without expectations, maybe you'll get it then. Usually seems to be the case.

Cinemaddiction
So, because I dislike a movie for valid reasons, you're going for the low blow? A personal attack on my interests for disagreeing? I saw this coming a mile away, and frankly, I thought you were above that.

There's nothing to "get" from this movie, and to suggest there is is insulting my intelligence. Furthurmore, a second viewing, which will never happen, won't change my opinion that it's a poorly made movie.

In my opinion, let's make that part abundantly clear, it's tedious, emotionless, pretentious in parts, lacks any real overall tension or atmosphere. Besides, anyone that has seen Swimfan, Basic Instinct, Fatal Attraction, Monster, or even Single White Female knew from the start what was going to transpire.

That said, your assumptions and suggestions that all I watch is empty Sci Fi and action is not only wrong and extremely ignorant, but ironic, coming from a hardcore Horror movie fan. The movies in which are usually the epitome of mindless entertainment. I'm willing to bet that I have the absolute most eclectic taste in these forums, and have proven it time and time again. Just don't make assumptions.

Suggesting some of you are "lightweights" was merely in reference to the fact that the users in the Horror forums come off as the most knowledgable and jaded, and that, so I thought, was a complement, and not a enquiry to your level of tolerance pertaining to graphic content, which this movie failed to deliver, after its hype.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I'm really disappointed in what was supposed to be the grandaddy of Asian Horror.

It's more like a grandma..with no dentures.. confused

Mr Zero

BackFire
"So, because I dislike a movie for valid reasons, you're going for the low blow? A personal attack on my interests for disagreeing? I saw this coming a mile away, and frankly, I thought you were above that."

What personal attack? Because I brought up two shitty movies? Because I brought up the fact that half the time when you hate a movie you'll love it after a second viewing? These aren't personal attacks, or low blows(though I guess I could see how bringing up AvP or Chronnicles of Riddick could be seen as a low blow, so my apologies for bringing those two pieces of shit into this thread) , just observations about the lack of crediblity you sometimes have with a movie of this nature, that isn't for everyone. As I said, usually, you'll hate a movie that isn't straightforward, and then love it after a second viewing when you watch it without expectations. That was not a low blow nor personal attack. If anything can be seen as a personal attack it's the "light weights" comment, which is obviously a negative comment aimed at the people who DID like this movie. Don't act high and mighty (I know, a stretch for you wink) and accuse someone of a personal attack when there was none, especially when it was a retort to what COULD easily be seen as an attack on the folks who do like the movie. Since when is calling someone a "lightweight" anything but a negative?

"There's nothing to "get" from this movie, and to suggest there is is insulting my intelligence. Furthurmore, a second viewing, which will never happen, won't change my opinion that it's a poorly made movie."

I have a feeling that you probably would have said the same thing in reference to 28 Days Later or TCM before you watched those for the second time. You thought both of those were poor films, and now you praise them. But, whether you like it or not is irrelevent to me. But insinuating people who do like it as "acting like lightweights" because WE like a movie you did not is something that needed to be retorted and rejected.

"That said, your assumptions and suggestions that all I watch is empty Sci Fi and action is not only wrong and extremely ignorant, but ironic, coming from a hardcore Horror movie fan. The movies in which are usually the epitome of mindless entertainment. I'm willing to bet that I have the absolute most eclectic taste in these forums, and have proven it time and time again. Just don't make assumptions."

You may be surprised to hear that out of all the movies I own, probably only 15% are in the horror genre. I do love a good horror film, but for every horror film I enjoy, there are about 30 I hate. The horror films I like are the good, solid ones. I'm pretty confident that my taste is just as diverse as yours, if not moreso, since I seem to enjoy the independent films that you see as "pretentious" (a vague, empty word that is often associated with any film trying to prove a subtle point).

Again, I don't care that you don't like this film, I had a feeling you wouldn't, but what is a problem is that coming from the "subjective" guy who thinks all opinions should be respected and what not, you shouldn't call people "lightweights" for liking a certain film, it contradicts your whole subjective philosophy, and then whine when someone gives a hostile rebuttle to being called a "lightweight". But, I do apologize for any low blows I may have thrown.

Mr Zero
Pussy.

BackFire
hah, well, C-dic is a cool guy. He really is one of the more intelegent members on these boards, and while I may disagree with him I don't want him to feel I'm attacking him, as I'm sure he doesn't want me to feel as though he's attacking me.

oh, and you're a pussy, pussy.

Cinemaddiction
Whoever said that? Not me, not once. Per usual, all I did was support an opinion. I am always up for debate, and not once did I say anyone else was wrong. I posed questions, not denied.

I do know the difference, and I still fail to see how where I failed to acknowledge it.

During the widowed husband and the little girl scorned conversation in the restaraunt, there were horribly apparent splicing errors, where the dialogue jumped, in addition to white blips between scenes.

Besides, everyone here should know by now that I only speak in opinion. Typing "IMO" gets redundant, and I don't feel as if I should have to use it.

You're not wrong, and don't try to play some "victim of someone elses standards" routine. Try and reason, instead. In addition to never versing any certain qualifications, subtitles are usually a pretty direct translation of the original dialogue, which "looked" pretty run of the mill. Besides, it wasn't a "review", anyway.

That's an opinion, and no, I paid attention throughout the entire film, and nothing ever drew me in, as I was told I would be. Naturally, I was disappointed.

I never said the film was worthless, I pointed out what were apparent flaws, as well as my opinions and observations. If you feel obliged to clear your name, amidst the most subtle of allegations of conceit, then you're as misunderstood as I am.

..and having seen 5 of his movies now, I appreciate his diversity. However, his work hasn't appealed to me, and all I am guilty of is sharing an opinion, and stating why. Not once did I implore anyone to not rent the movie. Do as you please, but there has to be someone out there that goes against the grain, and decides to voice a negative opinion. How is anyone supposed to weigh pros and cons when there's only one side being vocal?

Why not little old me? smile

Two movies which I have just so happened to have been an uber-champion for, respectively. I thought my apparent support was what would have provoked you to say that, that's all.

Twice, "28 Days Later" and maybe "TCM"(1973). That's an exagerration that changes the ebb of any conversation.

The content of the movie isn't for everyone, granted, but that's totally irrelevant as to how someone like myself percieves it. "Monster" achieved everything "Audition" boasted A LOT more effectively emotionally, so I though. That's an opinion. Don't shoot me.

Again, just two times, and if you can find other instances, bring 'em out.

It was directed at you to be honest. This forum didn't "make me", by any means, but when I got here, I was looking to beef up my Horror flick intel. Naturally, I look(ed) up to you and Evil Dead. I'd be stupid not to, you know your shit, and who better to immulate, taste wise? I just didn't see anything in here that was disturbing, and can't see how you did, given we're on about the same level of "jaded-ness."

It was only in reference to the content. That's all, not anyone's overall opinions. You guys get the creeps from acupuncture? That was seriously about the only thing *I* would have found minutely distrubing. How about Charlize Theron being vaginally probed with a gun, with a fuzz filter in "Monster"? I think "Audition" relied too heavily at times on "suggestion", but the implications weren't strong enough to make me queazy.

All apologies, on my behalf for any misconceptions or misunderstanding. I think your both all aces, BF, Zero. I think I've been hurling some misdirected hostility this forums way because of some real disappointment in my movie choices as of late. I've been let down a lot lately, getting caught up on some hyped/acclaimed flicks, only be disappointed.

Anyway, here's to keepin' it real. Rent "Audtion", kids. See it for yourself, and if you come back and think it's the best thing since DVDs, and wind up calling me a misanthropic ******* with a narrow cinematic scope, then so be it.

You're all still bitches. big grin

BackFire
Firstly, I'd like to say I greatly appreciate your compliment.

Secondly, did you happen to get the censored version? There are NUMEROUS scenes in that movie that are beyond disturbing. To name a few

-The scene where the wierd old piano instructor burns Asami's inner thighs. The way he crawls to her with that horrible look on his face and smiling like that...it's sending shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

-The guy in the burlap sack. When she was on the phone with the main chracter, and the thing moved and made that loud noise, I nearly shit myself, one of the best "jump scenes" I've ever seen in any film. Also, when he emerges from the sack towards the end and we see him missing a hand, a foot, and his tongue, and when he's slurping that milk out of the bowl...again, chilling. How can this NOT be disturbing?

-The torture scene, when she begins cutting off his foot with a wire, and when she puts the needles in his eyes. Plus the fact that he's paralyzed when she's doing it is infinitely creepy.

-The fact that all of this was done by a seemingly normal girl who was actually doing it because she loved him is also disturbing. Seeing as I date a sweet asian girl, this movie may have got to me a bit more then others.

These are the main scenes I can think of that really got to me. If you did get teh censored version then maybe that has something to do with your opinion of the movie. The censored version cuts out quite a bit and makes some of the actions seem implied when they really weren't. If this is the case...then well, I dunno, try and find the uncesored version and fast forward to these particular scenes to see them in all their glory. If not, then I guess you went in expecting something that wasn't there. I will say this, I thought Monster was over rated. It was hard for me to care about what was happening to the character when she was such an unlikeable character. I can't think of anything in that movie that got to me, not like Audition anyway.

One thing about hyped movies, you can't let the hype up your expectations, if you allow that, you'll probably be disapointed.....*****!

Cinemaddiction
As apparently obvious as that should have been, I didn't keep that in mind. We even saw the same version too, I dunno, maybe it's because I've seen how psycho Asian chicks can be. (Kill Bill)

To think that those things didn't bother me, and I may be more jaded than you..? eek!

WindDancer
Basically if you were to take Audition and May and put'em together you get almost the same movie. Some Psycho-biatch finds love then her heart is broken and she kills. That's about it. Both films introduce the two women as geekie and innocent looking and as the movie continues you start to observe that the women become darker and darker. Now what separates the two films is that in Audition has more mysterious atmosphere in the female character. Whereas in May the psycho becomes too predictable. Not the case in Audition the female detoraties not near the end like in May, but rather earlier. The suspence builds up for the character that the audience wants to know more about her.

Up to this point I've enjoyed Miike's work. I really hate to compare one of his films with another (Audition vs. Ichi). That would be like comparing Indiana Jones with Jaws is pointless and frankly rather a waste of time. I personally don't think he is overated, but for me he is one of Japan's best directors.

Audition is more like an introduction to Miike's work it pretty much gathers the essence of his work. Miike's films take their time they build up if you feel they are slow or boring....seriously go watch Spiderman 2 or Day after tomorrow. As for the Gore in Miike's films is basically an element. Why? Simple, Miike's characters are not nice people. His characters always contain a dark side within themselves. Some characters release them out others keep that dark side on check. Those that let the dark side out are the ones that create the gore in the films. Like Asami in Audition or Kakihara in Ichi, but the one film in which Miike went the distance was Visitor Q. Not a single character was good or even nice. Unlike in Audition the son was the only innocent character in the whole film.

BackFire
Nah wink

My guess is that you weren't into the movie during these points so that took away from their power.

Go watch Salo: 120 Days of Sodom, Cannibal Holocaust, and I Stand Alone. Now of those movies have no effect on you at all, then we can talk.

Mr Zero
Pussies. All of you.

Jason420
is it any good and what is it about?

BackFire
I think it's superb, probably the best japanese horror flick you'll find as far as I'm concerned. Some truley disturbing images. Though not a movie for everyone.

papabeard
Audition is ace

Here are a few other japanese movies

Bangkok Haunted
Shikoku
Uzumaki
Evil Dead Trap 1,2,3
Double Vision
Versus
Battlefield Baseball
The Watcher in the Attic (1976)
The Mystery of Rampo
Chaos
Phone
A Tale of 2 sisters
The mystery Isle
Gozu

MildPossession
A Tale of Two Sisters is a Korean film.

papabeard
You know what I mean, Asian!

XxILuvVegetaxX
I saw this movie a while back, I love it. Its one of those few films that builds up to last 15mins or so to the end of the movie, one of the few movies that actually scared/startled me too

Suleyman
Originally posted by BackFire
Also, when he emerges from the sack towards the end and we see him missing a hand, a foot, and his tongue, and when he's slurping that milk out of the bowl...again, chilling. How can this NOT be disturbing?
Actually, it's Asami's vomit he's slurping up... sick I actually found that to be the sickest part of the film.

I love Audition. big grin

BackFire
Yeah, I realized that after another viewing.

Colere
My husband and I watched this movie last night and honestly I thought it was horrible. I am one for pure torture and gore and though that could be considered both a bad and a good thing I thought there wasn't enough in this movie.

The acting wasn't very good either considering, to me from just watching it I thought that the actors weren't really even trying. They should've just went ahead and only put in 50 dollars worth of creating if that makes any sense.

To put it simply this movie bored the living crap out of me. Now I'm not trying to bash anyone else's opinions, if you thought it was a good movie I respect that, everyone has different views on things but for me this movie just didn't cut it.

allofyousuckkk
its called audition.....the chinese version...it doesn't have a really hard to pronounce name such as jufokdov jogkedlakfhfk?

What is this about, all I've heard is it is "amazing"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.