Christian Bible passages help?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JLred
In what passage in the old testament does it talk about Jonah and the whale if it does?

You can also add more questions.

-=Urot=-
Yes Its in the OT bible look between the books of Obadiah and Micah, there you will find the book of Jonah.

Its a small book (only 4 chapters) so it won't take you long to read the whole story.

Hope that helps.

Now as to questions, what did you have in mind?

finti
yeah free willy part ancientroll eyes (sarcastic)

Jury
Maybe you want the whole chapter?

CHAPTER 1 (Jonah 1:1-17)
1 Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
4 But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
5 Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
6 So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
8 Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
9 And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
11 Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
12 And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
14 Wherefore they cried unto the LORD, and said, We beseech thee, O LORD, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O LORD, hast done as it pleased thee.
15 So they look up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
16 Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.
17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

CHAPTER 2 (Jonah 2:1-10)
1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,
2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.
7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

Jury
CHAPTER 3 (Jonah 3:1-10)
1 And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,
2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.
3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

CHAPTER 4 (Jonah 4:1-11)
1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry.
2 And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.
3 Therefore now, O LORD, take, I beseech thee, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.
4 Then said the LORD, Doest thou well to be angry?
5 So Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shadow, till he might see what would become of the city.
6 And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd.
7 But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered.
8 And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.
9 And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.
10 Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night:
11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more then sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

Philosophicus
Oh, please God! Save us from all these dumb-ases who call themselves believers, people of faith! Form they fail to see your absence...

Storm
That was uncalled for.

lil bitchiness
Philosophicus, stop this nonsenese. I dont want to warn you again.

big gay kirk
just an aside, but its called the Book of Jonas in some Bibles....

JLred
Thanks to you and Jury and to all except to that mean guy who made fun of beleivers and such.

By questions I meant if anyone needs to find a certain part they can ask here too.

darktim1
Can anyone tell me what Jonah and Jesus have in common. answer and if wrong I'll tell you.

finti
they both have 5 letters in their name and both starts with a J

-=Urot=-
laughing out loud Hehe good one.

The answer would be they both would spend time in something for three days & nights.

Jonah = three days in the belly of the fish.

Jesus = three nights in the tomb.

Matthew 12: 38 - 40
12:38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Ok now what do I win?

finti
no what kind of fish was it? It cant have been a whale cause whales aint fish

-=Urot=-

finti
odds are its nothing but yet another fairy tale

-=Urot=-

finti
free willy

big gay kirk
there is actually a recorded case from the 1800s of a man surviving in the stomach of a large whale for around a week....

big gay kirk
and this passage shows that if Jesus was crucified and entombed on a Friday, and rose on a Sunday, he was either a liar, or no good at measuring time....

JLred
eheheh....thats pretty funny....if you can make a play for Jonah and the whale youll get a prize.......anyone?

MilitantDog
Couldn't of happened. He would of died in one of a dozen ways (drowning, crushed by pressure, infection etc.)

And it vomitted up on dry land??? Please.

Yet another fairy tale filled to the brim with BS.

VirtuouslyDvin

Beliver
Originally posted by VirtuouslyDvin
All things are possible with God. He has control over all things and remember God gave Adam dominion over all things. You would need to go and check the greek/hebrew word for fish/whale. It is possible that the BIBLE mistranslated by man. It was inspired by God not translated. Jonah survived in the belly of the whale the same way Jesus was risen from the dead. God's POWER

Screen shot or it didn't happen.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by VirtuouslyDvin
All things are possible with God. He has control over all things and remember God gave Adam dominion over all things. You would need to go and check the greek/hebrew word for fish/whale. It is possible that the BIBLE mistranslated by man. It was inspired by God not translated. Jonah survived in the belly of the whale the same way Jesus was risen from the dead. God's POWER

Only if you believe in magic or supernatural.

Beliver
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Only if you believe in magic or supernatural.

Was it the Fish/Whale that was magical or the event?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Beliver
Was it the Fish/Whale that was magical or the event?

What is a Fish/Whale? Magic does not exist.

Beliver
What is a Fish/Whale? Magic does not exist.

I was allowing for the "its not a whale its a fish arguement".

Have any experts managed to even guess at what breed of fish (or whale ;o] ) could of swallowed the aquanaut in question?

Shakyamunison
I was allowing for the "its not a whale its a fish arguement".

Have any experts managed to even guess at what breed of fish (or whale ;o] ) could of swallowed the aquanaut in question?

If you look at the stories in the bible and take them literally, you will always miss the mark. The story of Jonah and the Whale is a story about perseverance and faith. The people places and thing do not matter. From time to time are are all swallowed by the whale. wink

Beliver
If you look at the stories in the bible and take them literally, you will always miss the mark. The story of Jonah and the Whale is a story about perseverance and faith. The people places and thing do not matter. From time to time are are all swallowed by the whale. wink

So why add the filler? Surely the entire bible could be 10 pages long if you just cut the dead weight away you wouldnt have the most bought yet least read book in the world.

Shakyamunison
So why add the filler? Surely the entire bible could be 10 pages long if you just cut the dead weight away you wouldnt have the most bought yet least read book in the world.

What is the use of a story? Most people can't digest abstract ideas alone. We need a story to place the ideas into a frame work that makes sense to us.

Beliver
What is the use of a story? Most people can't digest abstract ideas alone. We need a story to place the ideas into a frame work that makes sense to us.

So its like "how to live a good life...for dummies (with pretty pictures)"

Shakyamunison
So its like "how to live a good life...for dummies (with pretty pictures)"

All holy books are really self improvement book at heart, or they have some parts that are that way.

Symmetric Chaos
All holy books are really self improvement book at heart, or they have some parts that are that way.

Or conversely self-help books are holy-books at heart.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Or conversely self-help books are holy-books at heart.

In 5,000 years Dr. Phil will be a prophet. laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
In 5,000 years Dr. Phil will be a prophet. laughing out loud

laughing out loud

But not as crazy as it sounds, if we lose a lot of our history at some point people who are cleaning up will want advice from the people who came before. Self-help books advertise just that, pretty much the way religion does.

Beliver
laughing out loud

But not as crazy as it sounds, if we lose a lot of our history at some point people who are cleaning up will want advice from the people who came before. Self-help books advertise just that, pretty much the way religion does.

Yet self help books can function without religion.

Most religions are much without the self help book at its core.

Shakyamunison
Yet self help books can function without religion.

Most religions are much without the self help book at its core.

Religion is a part of being Human. Religion gives Humans an evolutionary advantage. If you believe that a god is giving you guidance, then you will survive better, then feeling you are lost in a vicious world.

Beliver
Religion is a part of being Human. Religion gives Humans an evolutionary advantage. If you believe that a god is giving you guidance, then you will survive better, then feeling you are lost in a vicious world.

I wonder if the machines will think the same when they wipe us out in the future. laughing

Religion is a crutch. It was used in the days of yore to explain things. Things that now can be properly explained by science.

Shakyamunison
I wonder if the machines will think the same when they wipe us out in the future. laughing

Religion is a crutch. It was used in the days of yore to explain things. Things that now can be properly explained by science.

Religion exists. It is a tool that can be used to do evil or good. Like all things in the universe, religion by its self is nether good or evil. It all depends on what you and I do with religion.

Beliver
Religion exists. It is a tool that can be used to do evil or good. Like all things in the universe, religion by its self is nether good or evil. It all depends on what you and I do with religion.

I'd rather take it back and buy a tape measure. More use, less crusading.

Shakyamunison
I'd rather take it back and buy a tape measure. More use, less crusading.

However, you cannot deny that Religion has worked for most people in the world over time. If you take all religion away, people will simply invent new ones. This happened in the old Solvent Union.

Beliver
However, you cannot deny that Religion has worked for most people in the world over time. If you take all religion away, people will simply invent new ones. This happened in the old Solvent Union.

In old Soviet Russia, religion invents you laughing

Man as an animal is a dangerous thing. Tell him there is an invisible man watching his every move, judging his every action, man becomes even more dangerous. Now if another man comes along saying his invisble man is better, then man will do want man does best. Fight.

Shakyamunison
In old Soviet Russia, religion invents you laughing

Man as an animal is a dangerous thing. Tell him there is an invisible man watching his every move, judging his every action, man becomes even more dangerous. Now if another man comes along saying his invisble man is better, then man will do want man does best. Fight.

What does that have to do with survival?

Beliver
What does that have to do with survival?

Man survived before Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc. I'm sure man would survive without them.

Even the animal kingdom get by without religion.

Shakyamunison
Man survived before Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc. I'm sure man would survive without them.

Even the animal kingdom get by without religion.

Christianity, Islam and Judaism are only the latest. Religions go back as long as Humans do.

Beliver
Christianity, Islam and Judaism are only the latest. Religions go back as long as Humans do.

Okay I'm sure man managed before religion otherwise there wouldnt be a bunch of human to come together to form the first religion.

By the way dont suppose you know what the oldest religion is and why it isnt prominent today?

Shakyamunison
Okay I'm sure man managed before religion otherwise there wouldnt be a bunch of human to come together to form the first religion.

By the way dont suppose you know what the oldest religion is and why it isnt prominent today?

No one knows the first religion, but Hindu is the oldest.

Beliver
No one knows the first religion, but Hindu is the oldest.

But why isn't it the most wide spread?

Something to do with Christians being a little quicker to pick up the sword to spread their word?

Shakyamunison
But why isn't it the most wide spread?

Something to do with Christians being a little quicker to pick up the sword to spread their word?

Why are there no dinosaurs today? They are older therefore, they should be more wide spread. Do you see the problem with this line of thinking?

Humans are quick to anger.

Beliver
Why are there no dinosaurs today? They are older therefore, they should be more wide spread. Do you see the problem with this line of thinking?

Humans are quick to anger.

Well other than the theory of the mass extinction event...dinosaurs didnt kill for greed, hatred or an ideal.

Ordo
Well other than the theory of the mass extinction event...dinosaurs didnt kill for greed, hatred or an ideal.

Do you know? I was under the impression that man never came into living contact with dinosaurs.

The answer to your question about Christianity being the most populous religion in the world has nothing to do with its conquest in the name of religion, but rather Christian Europe's status as the global colonial power (and former baby machine).

Beliver
Originally posted by Ordo
Do you know? I was under the impression that man never came into living contact with dinosaurs.

The answer to your question about Christianity being the most populous religion in the world has nothing to do with its conquest in the name of religion, but rather Christian Europe's status as the global colonial power (and former baby machine).

You mean the Roman Empire. Forged at the end of a sword.

Ordo
Yeah, because Rome really dominated Europe at the height of Christianity.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

ROME did not conquer anything in the name of religion and was already at or past its peak by the time of the Christian "conversion" (which was rather superficial and hardly equivalent to modern Christianity. Frankly the Republic was well on its way to Empire even before the Empire.

"Forged at the end of a sword" lol. apparently you have illusions of how the world works.

No. What I MEAN is Europe 1500s-1800s, colonized the world...populated continents...had their fingers in every pot. Cultural transmission, colonizations, cultural supression...all contributed.

Beliver
Yeah, because Rome really dominated Europe at the height of Christianity.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

ROME did not conquer anything in the name of religion and was already at or past its peak by the time of the Christian "conversion" (which was rather superficial and hardly equivalent to modern Christianity. Frankly the Republic was well on its way to Empire even before the Empire.

"Forged at the end of a sword" lol. apparently you have illusions of how the world works.

No. What I MEAN is Europe 1500s-1800s, colonized the world...populated continents...had their fingers in every pot. Cultural transmission, colonizations, cultural supression...all contributed.

And how do you think Europe colonzied the world? By asking nicely and by having a flag? (Eddie Izzard joke for the unenlightened)

Europe colonized the world by being at the cutting edge of technology at the time, in other words the gun (well more accuratly the black powder musket but you get the idea.)

So at that time Christianity was spread by the gun and those who wielded them.

Shakyamunison

Great job at totally missing what I was saying. stick out tongue

Beliver

Please explain.

I offered a the reason there are no dinosaurs.

yes humans are quick to anger and will anger for many reasons.

Shakyamunison
Please explain.

I offered a the reason there are no dinosaurs.

yes humans are quick to anger and will anger for many reasons.

"But why isn't it the most wide spread?" (it=old religion)

Old religions died out and went extinct just like the dinosaurs did.

Beliver
"But why isn't it the most wide spread?" (it=old religion)

Old religions died out and went extinct just like the dinosaurs did.

Did it die out through being found to be worthless, pointless, disproven or because all the followers were killed or converted?

Extinction or eradication?

Symmetric Chaos
Hinduism still exists. So, neither I suppose. However, it would be somewhat accurate to say that Hinduism evolved itself into oblivion. Modern Hindiusm is very different than it's ancient form, even more so than Abrahamic religions.

Shakyamunison
Did it die out through being found to be worthless, pointless, disproven or because all the followers were killed or converted?

Extinction or eradication?

Evolution uses all of the above. However, I would guess that the people found a better religion, and left the old one behind. In some ways that is what is happening to Christianity today.

Beliver
Evolution uses all of the above. However, I would guess that the people found a better religion, and left the old one behind. In some ways that is what is happening to Christianity today.

So whats your take on whats happening to Christianity today?

Shakyamunison
So whats your take on whats happening to Christianity today?

In time it will fade away and die. It will be replaced by another religion.

Beliver
In time it will fade away and die. It will be replaced by another religion.

I dont think it will fade away totally. Something that has affected humaninty so deep at its core would still be there but not in any important way.

Kind of like the chewing gum on your show, to start with it was tasty but then its just some annoy piece of junk stuck to your shoe you just want to scrape off.

Shakyamunison
I dont think it will fade away totally. Something that has affected humaninty so deep at its core would still be there but not in any important way.

Kind of like the chewing gum on your show, to start with it was tasty but then its just some annoy piece of junk stuck to your shoe you just want to scrape off.

Just like we still have a descendant of dinosaurs with us today. wink

Beliver
Just like we still have a descendant of dinosaurs with us today. wink

Yeah but I can't see them making films about bringing back Christians from DNA found on a bible.

Shakyamunison
Yeah but I can't see them making films about bringing back Christians from DNA found on a bible.

From time to time you will interject statements like this one. Does this mean our discussion is over and you have given up and resorted to play? confused

Beliver
From time to time you will interject statements like this one. Does this mean our discussion is over and you have given up and resorted to play? confused

Not at all. From time to time these threads get a bit heavy and a bit of humor never hurts.

Do you not think that all Religion (in the sense of globally spanning) will pass in the halls of time as man evolves and grows in his understanding of himself and his understanding?

Shakyamunison
Not at all. From time to time these threads get a bit heavy and a bit of humor never hurts.

Do you not think that all Religion (in the sense of globally spanning) will pass in the halls of time as man evolves and grows in his understanding of himself and his understanding?

No, I do not believe that. There are huge social and economic advantages to being a member of a religion.

Beliver
No, I do not believe that. There are huge social and economic advantages to being a member of a religion.

Not as much today as maybe in the past. Mass education, advent of world wide communication and the commercialisation of many of the religions holidays have contributed to the eventual fall of organised religion on the global scale that it used to enjoy.

Shakyamunison
Not as much today as maybe in the past. Mass education, advent of world wide communication and the commercialisation of many of the religions holidays have contributed to the eventual fall of organised religion on the global scale that it used to enjoy.

laughing I would like to see proof of that.

Symmetric Chaos
laughing I would like to see proof of that.

He doesn't need proof he has faith.

Shakyamunison
He doesn't need proof he has faith.

Maybe he will create his own religion. big grin

Mindship
From time to time you will interject statements like this one. Does this mean our discussion is over and you have given up and resorted to play? confused laughing out loud
This is like something Sheldon Cooper would say. I'm going to look for your name in the credits.

Quark_666
Do you not think that all Religion (in the sense of globally spanning) will pass in the halls of time as man evolves and grows in his understanding of himself and his understanding? when it comes to understanding...I think our tendency to go in circles is stronger than our tendency to change. Special emphasis on the word 'tendency' as opposed to 'ability' of course.

Ordo
And how do you think Europe colonzied the world? By asking nicely and by having a flag? (Eddie Izzard joke for the unenlightened)

Europe colonized the world by being at the cutting edge of technology at the time, in other words the gun (well more accuratly the black powder musket but you get the idea.)

So at that time Christianity was spread by the gun and those who wielded them.

*sigh* By that poor logic ANYTHING could be spread by the gun...from bananas to syphalis.

Rule 89. Once is a coincidence...two is a trend.

Shakyamunison
...Rule 89. Once is a coincidence...two is a trend.

I guess you posting that saying is a trend. wink

peejayd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.