tool philosophical lyrical genuises

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

brandino
ill post one song from them its very deep so afi linkin park and blink 182 fans stay away

Forty-Six & 2 My shadow's Shedding skin and I've been picking scabs again. I'm down digging through my old muscles looking for a clue. I've been crawling on my belly clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions for a piece to cross me over or a word to guide me in. I wanna feel the changes coming down. I wanna know what I've been hiding in my shadow. Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin I've been picking my scabs again. I've been crawling on my belly clearing out what could've been I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. Forty-six and two ahead of me. I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through. I choose to live and to lie, kill and give and to die, learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. See my shadow changing, stretching up and over me soften this old armor. hoping I can clear the way by stepping through my shadow, coming out the other side. Step into the shadow. Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

for the idiots that didnt know this is about jungian theory the eventual third leap to the third form of concsiousness otherwise known as enlightment
----------------------------------------------------------------
YOU LOVE THE BANANAS Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance NOW KILL THE PRIME MINISTER OF MAYLASIA-zoolander

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, we need another Tool thread.

brandino
people are to caught up in mainstream pop bullshit this will be locked soon

Darth Revan
I love the song, and Tool are probably my favorite band ever--but I hate to break it to you that this metaphysical stuff is a load of crap. Having more chromosomes (which is a branch of Jungian theory and what the title refers to) does not make an organism more evolved or superior.

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them fall away
Mildewed and smoldering, fundamental differing,
Pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers' souls in motion
Disintegrating as it goes, testing our communication
The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so
We cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication.

I know the pieces fit 'cause I watched them tumble down
No fault, none to blame it doesn't mean I don't desire to
Point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over.
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.

The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
And the circling is worth it.
Finding beauty in the dissonance.

There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away.
Mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting
I've done the the math enough to know the dangers of a second guessing
Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion

Between supposed lovers
Between supposed lovers

And I know the pieces fit

brandino
its the basic ideology of jungian not that it is a fact
anything is possible except talking gumballs

brandino
schism is also good i have all there albums i really like eulogy

brandino
oh and in schism its between sopposed brothers between sopposed lovers it was a messup on the tool website

Alpha Centauri
I said this on another forum also.

Forty-Six & 2 is, in a nutshell, about evolving into our true essence and expelling all the bad and evil shit inside us so that we can reach that level, this "bad shit" is known as the anima. Is inkeeping with the theme.

In detail:

It's said that there are three plains or levels of human evolution, each with it's own form and amount of chromosomes. The first has 44 chromosomes, this can be likened to indiginous tribes and aboriginal societies that know nothing outside of their own reality and existance. They only see one large consciousness with no distinguishable features between organisms on a higher level.

The next has 46 chromosomes, that's where we are said to be at I believe. A somewhat chaotic, erratic and nihilistic consciousness that is just, essentially, a stepping stone from the first and third forms.

The third is 48 chromosomes (or 46 & 2, the two being the sex chromosomes x and y.) This is the higher level of consciousness, or the level where Maynard is trying to suggest as our destination.

This is where many religious or tribal theories come in, jungian specifically although there are other adherent to the same theories. It is said that we can't reach the third, higher level of consciousness until we delve into the shadowy depths of ourselves and expell all the bad shit that we have inside. A voluntary purging or cleansing of the soul I guess you could say. This "shadowy depth" is known as the anima and it carries through with a lot of the album concept.

There are lots of lines, specifically the last verse, that suggest this.

However any Tool fan knows that you can get whatever meaning you want out of a song. That's what's intended, to just make of it what you will. Other people believe it's about individual cell consciousness, geometric Earth patterns etc etc.

I go with the first one.

-AC

brandino
how i love it when people make sense
i mean that truly no sarcasm

brandino
I will not let this die

GABRIEL05
With philosophical advancedness like that, you'de think they could play a 13th chord or somethin...

jk.

Victor Von Doom
Playing in weird time signatures and bearing in mind the drummer's ability, I doubt an odd chord would be that beyond em.

On a sidenote, only one person writes the lyrics.

brandino
you have to admit though the song lateralus had some really cool bass on it and strong lyrics

Victor Von Doom
Yep. Who disputed it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.