Why are guys portrayed as morons?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Why are guys portrayed as morons in virtually ALL media...
it just kinda bugs me.

SlipknoT
Duuuuhhh! Me no no? confused1

hh?
"**** the media"- Immortal Technique

JToTheP
droolio purdy thread titleeeeeee

charmedFairy
blink

Darth Revan
cool

BackFire
Because it makes women happy, and they're usually the ones who listen to said media.

pr1983
true...

Morning_Glory
not all guys are morons but a lot of them are

lil bitchiness
Morons are morons - regardless of wether they are male or female.

It just happens that there is a high correlation between morons and guys - and thats far from women's fault.

stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
"not all guys are morons but a lot of them are"

Funny how alot of girls end up with morons and then complain.

Who's the bigger moron? The moron or the girl who dates one.

-AC

Silver Stardust
That sounds like a SW quote: "Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows?"

Seriously, though, all people can act like morons. I know that I certainly can.

Alpha Centauri
*Waves hand slowly*

No it is not a Star Wars quote, Alpha. It was completely original and I will go about my business.

-AC

Corran
Snake eyes, not sure what Media you are reading, but I do not see that Guys are portrayed as morons in the media anymoreso than Girls who are morons are! If you are talking about things like cosmo and other female orientated Media then yes they will probably try to portray guys more a morons.

And Milla - What's correlation mean confused stick out tongue

pr1983
laughing

again true...

Clovie
huh
media shows mostly poiliticains and they are morons erm

SaTsuJiN
I think by media he means movies and TV shows.. which I must say is pretty true..

Jackie Malfoy
Some guys are marons but not that much.So far I had not met one yet.JM

Aku
The answer is because we clearly are.

Take a woman for example. So many things run throught their brains.

Take a male for example. We only have one thought and its usually irrelavent.

You can see it in gender magazines. Womens magazines are about weight loss, killing you husband, fashion, everyday needs and things wether mens magazines are about cars, stupid facts like the frog death rate. It coz women worry too much and men dont worry at all.

Alpha Centauri
"The answer is because we clearly are."

Pardon? I'm no moron. If you choose to willingly take that label to the whole male gender, don't. Apply it to yourself. If you believe you're a moron, fine. However if you are insecure with the self-moronic acceptance, it's no excuse to go and label me or any other male one. Thanks.

"Take a woman for example. So many things run throught their brains."

Smart females yes. Dumb females? Yes also. However the amount of "things" running through a brain doesn't equate to intelligence. If you have alot of things running through a brain and they're all stupid, what does that tell you?

"Take a male for example. We only have one thought and its usually irrelavent."

Again with the "we". Speak for yourself. Not for me.

"You can see it in gender magazines. Womens magazines are about weight loss, killing you husband, fashion, everyday needs and things wether mens magazines are about cars, stupid facts like the frog death rate. It coz women worry too much and men dont worry at all."

That's because society is geared to keep the stereotype between both. Women's mags are extremely contradictory. On one page it'll be about equal rights, on another it'll say "How to please your man" or "How to cook..." something or other. Men's mags are images portrayed to help the male gender feel more like males.

Neither gender have to adhere to there.

From here on out, speak for you. I know there are males on this forum who aren't morons and wouldn't like to be referred to as such.

-AC

Corran
I'm a moron but it's not because I'm a male confused

AC is right, there are male morons and Female ones, just like there are Female Bimbos and yes there are male bimbos as well, pretty guys who are a little dumb - so it is unfair to group everyone the same.

JToTheP
I'm sure Yoda could say something about that to! stick out tongue laughing out loud

Well of course anyone can, but I think they mean people who are 24/7 or something. I'm a moron in the AM...which is...now....*burns this post* blink

WindDancer
I'm a guy. And I call other guys morons. I don't pay too much attention to the media.

finti
that is the only way how females might feel superior

SnakeEyes
Hmmm, what media am i talking about? Just about any comedy movie (not that i don't like em, just pointing it out) But what bugs me is that almost all commercials that have a family in it, the guy is always very stupid.

Evy_O
why are girls portrayed as sex objects in ads? huh

dave123
Makes guys happy yes

Corran
Isn't that just what they are? confused

Baylin
I've always thoughts so, maybe that's why I'm no good at being married blink

Corran
Hmmm, I see an obvious commonality here,

PVS
oh the pain... if i read that one more time my brains are going to ooze out of my ears. sad

PVS
i notice im commercials men are always portrayed as idiots. especially when the commercial involves a couple. the woman is the smart or normal at least and the man is usually so stupid it seems he's one brain cell away from blacking out and crapping his pants. kinda like the polar opposite of commercials in the 50's. i guess commercials like to bash people to make us laugh (and buy). in today's P.C. society it seems the only safe group to bash on would be men (especially white men). its the safest route and there is no danger of repercussion (more than this thread)

kblixt
There's a little moron in all of us!

SerialGod
Face it ladys guys are supieror! We always have been and the only reason any chick has a hold on us is that they got what we want! why do you think chicks like fruits so much? Cuz they are powerless overthem! Women used to be subbordanates! and hey the only reason there not is because of WW2 and a few femiNazis! Guys rule and girls well to go back to a kiddy phrase drool! smokin' Oh and ladys dont be all pissed at me cuz u know its true! theres a couple of dumbasses amongst us but hey there is plenty of female idiocy! smokin'

kblixt
What in the hell was that?, man.That seems offensive. I think that its other the way around....or we are equally morons & idiots.

Linkalicious
Guys are portrayed as morons

Dave Schwimmer
Matt LeBlanc
Diedrich Bader
Ryan Stiles

Women actually are morons

Paris Hilton
Britney Spears
Tara Reid

Guys get paid to act like morons, girls get paid to be morons...

Corran
Errrmmm - Oops

Alpha Centauri
"why are girls portrayed as sex objects in ads?"

"Why do girls allow themselves to be portrayed as sex objects in ads?" should be the question.

Don't go doing it if you're gonna complain about being objectified.

-AC

pr1983
spot on dude...

KharmaDog
Does anyone see how truly precious it is that someone spelled "moron" as "maron" while the topic is in itself not only about morons, but that the word has been spelled properly a thousand times before that post?

Like come on, the "o" key and the "a" key aren't even close on the keyboard.

That is golden, PURE GOLD I SAY!!!!!!! laughing

Evy_O
cause they pay them loads obviously thumb up

complaining isn't the point here, what's saddening is that NO-ONE complains

anyway, that's off topic messed

Alpha Centauri
"cause they pay them loads obviously"

It was rhetorical.

-AC

Corran
Yes, but it was Jackie and she spells things incorrectly all the time, so we just moved on.

Bardock42
I bet Jackie is in fact a 45 year old programmer and he pretends to be a young girl, you can only spell that bad when you do it on purpose. yes

Just kidding Jackie, we love you yes

Evy_O
but my first one wasn't no2

Line
well, so are women. but where men are portrayed as being idiots in an over the top kind of way, women are just portrayed as natural idiots, who, in their terrible, helpless enthusiasm, don't know whether to do the man holding the bottle of wonder spot remover in his hands, or just the bottle.

naybean
so why do guys allow themselves to be paid to be portrayed as morons? and it would seem that some of the guys in this thread are determined to prove the media right. Also, are you completely forgetting that women are portrayed as housewives, complete bitches and bimbos? both genders get it just as bad.

PVS
well yes, the 'stupid spoiled whore'(as the guys from south park labeled it laughing out loud ) element has returned to the mainstream thanks to popular culture. however,
these bimbos are passed off as role models.

the idiot men portrayed in commercials are just that...idiots. not because we have the wisdom to see this, but because they were intended to be that way. like a clown without makeup.

i see what you mean though, dont get me wrong. i am thoroughly disgusted with the sexist approach to marketing as of recent, where it is assumed that all a woman should be concerned with is shopping and sex. not that this is a new concept, but an old one which should have stayed buried.

Frosty Beverage
silly, it's because we are.

carnival_junkie
because you are.
fact of life. get over it.

Alpha Centauri
"because you are.
fact of life. get over it."

Not the best argument.

What I'm saying is, the best way to prove someone is a moron, isn't to act like one.

-AC

NicktheBassist
that, i think, is why SnakeEyes started this thread in the first place: To overcome the stereotype that surrounds men. the stereotype is that all men are dumb sex craving pigs when in reality, though many of us are, there is a good percentage of us who are indeed smart and charming and not pigs. And it seems like all the good men are smothered by that stereotype.
not to sound cocky but i am in a similar situation where my girlfriend is friends with this other girl who has a really sexist opinion toward guys like the one i just discussed. She has this idea in her head that men are all stupid and all that they are good for is reproducing and this ideal rubs off on my girlfriend so she has a slightly warped opinion because she has the influence of this friend and she makes it known to me which makes me angry. And this is this is why i am so intent on changing at least some peoples views on the matter.

debbiejo
laughing

Why do I stay up this late.

This is too funny

debbiejo
Yup... I got up this morning and it's still funny....

I think this is really true. These are the people we get to marry....
ha ha haaa

laughing out loud

A4E
AC if u dont start using bloody quotes Im gonna report u!! laughing out loud lol i wont but what'd wrong with quoteing?? confused

Alpha Centauri
Absolutely nothing is wrong with using the quote button, if that's what you mean.

I used it at first but when there's alot to reply to it's really a bit of a hassle altering the tags and then going back to copy what you want, pasting it again etc. In my opinion anyway. I use quick reply and it's just much easier to browse up, copy what I want and paste it. Nobody has crippling trouble with reading my posts, don't see how it's bothering anyone.

-AC

NicktheBassist
wow, i love the way that everyone completely ignored what i said about the subject of the thread and went on to talk about quoting. miffed

narcil
ugh. i can't stand feminists.

everytime i went up the elevator to get to the economics dept i had to pass the women's studies floor...
i got a chill whenever one of those cranky looking ladies would get on. sexism against guys is a little outta control these days, poor bastards.

The Omega

NicktheBassist
interesting point, but all advertising aside, i still don't like the "stupid guy" approach. I mean, if they did something like that with dumb women as much as they do with men, then it would be extremely sexist and illegal and people would go to jail. it doesn't seem fair, but i guess thats life. But i won't stop fighting the steriotype.

debbiejo
Guys are portrayed as morons, because it's funny. It makes me laugh.
Don't take life so seriously smile

Alpha Centauri
I don't really care how guys are portrayed really because I represent, speak, act and live for myself. If every guy on Earth was portrayed as a moron it wouldn't bother me coz I'm not one.

If a girl chooses to pass up a guy because she has set the precedent that he's a moron, she's not worth it anyway.

That's the problem with feminism or the male version of it (if there is one). People are far too concerned with being led rather than leading theirselves. I'm sure women would have had better opportunities and respect in society if they had gone about earning it and fighting for it individually rather than banding together. Unity is cool and all that but if unity is all you have, you'll crumble alone.

-AC

The Omega

Julie
in answer to the original question,....guys are portrayed as morons b/c they're typically very immature. That can be a lovable thing or a thing that earns the label moron

Alpha Centauri
There's a difference.

Immaturity in a girl is never lovable, to me anyway. It's a big big turn off. The ability to "let go" and have fun is another matter.

-AC

NicktheBassist
Definitly, i agree. an immature guy at least sometimes comes off as funny or cute but an immature girl is juat dumb and annoying, i'm not trying to be sexist or anything but thats just how it works for me (except for the whole guys being cute part)

Wolfie
Guy is portrayed as moron. - Found typical
Girl is portrayed as moron. - Feminists on your ass!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.