Questions...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I don't claim to have all the answers, but I am willing to attempt any questions anyone has about the Christian faith. Believe me...I am NOT trying to "cram my religion down people's throat"...I merely wish to ...well answer any questions.

finti
Looks to me that you do.

Should have posted this in PDF(Political Discussion Forum), it is more suited place for it there

Texas
The PDF could use the traffic

yerssot
why don't throw it to the humor section then?

Gundark
Ah, yerssot dear....that wasn't nice.

Julie is just offering to answer peoples questions. If you don't have any questions just don't post here.

*gets out ToMacco slapping machine* laughing out loud

yerssot
ok... I have a question...

What's your opinion on the theory that Jesus took drugs just before he was hung at the cross?

Gundark
I've never heard that theory. Julie ?

mechmoggy
Neither have I, but I am finding myself strangley drawn to the Christian church all of a sudden. wink

Dim
So far I'm not seeing the point to this thread.

Gundark
Well if Julie doesn't come back, there is no point.

Zed
I think that you stunned her with a peverse comments.

Although I have heard that theory, that tries to prove the ressurection in a scientific manner.

queeq
Perverse? Us? big grin

And what IS the scientific theory you are referring to? There are quite a few, and VERY few without its problems.

Zed
well what I read was that one theory was that in the Bible it talks about how one of his followers wiped his forehead with a sponge while he was on the cross.

And at the time there was a drug that was administered by a sponge, that makes the person goto into a deep sleep and can look as though that they have died.

And the followers could have taken the body to the tomb where he could have recovered.

The bible takes about how the tomb was empty after his followers went there.

I personnaly dont believe this as the executioners would have checked to see if the body was dead before desposing of it.

p.s this is what I remember of the theory, as I read it a long time ago.

queeq
Yep, that's one.

Here are the three problems:

1. Jesus was pierced in the side i.e. the heart while on the cross to see if he was dead
2. A damp, dark cave is hardly the place to recover from the torments of hanging on a cross in the hot sun for seven hours
3. There were elite roman soldiers guarding the cave, hardly the kind of people a few fisherman can overpower to roll away the stone and enter the tom to remove the body.

ToMacco
roll eyes (sarcastic)

I pity those with no faith.

yerssot
well, you forgot a few parts of the theory...

The drug puts you in a sort of coma... no pain and you look pretty dead, so after that spear, wich was pretty common in those days, he wouldn't react, making him dead in the eyes of the Romans, who didn't know about the drug.
Very few people got burried but since they explicitly said it, it has to be that...
After approx 5 hours he ... hmmm, don't know the exact word for coming out of his drug... well, anyway, the drug left his body and he got awake...

Raz
The theory Zed is referring to was shown on a BBC documentery, hosted by Jeremy Bowen - The Son of God. It basically went through the life of Christ and tried to explains things with modern apparatus.

Ushgarak
Taking a leaf from my old RE teacher here...

I don't see the point of trying to scientifically rationalise what is presented to you by religion. I mean, what exactly will be achieved? For 90% or more of it there is not enough evidence to do a damn thing with it. And showing that some of the more impossible things in the Bible are possible... I don't see who that is going to make any difference to.

In the end, either you HAVE faith or you don't. Messing around trying to prove things seems to be missing the point.

Texas
AMEN!!!

Julie
I don't think I've ever heard of the drug theory, but the whole sponge thing may just be the part where a Roman soldier puts vinegar on a sponge to give to Jesus as he hung from the cross....

The purpose of this thread is simply to answer questions about the Christian faith....no more and no less....and BTW I don't think a discussion of religion has much to do with politics.

Texas
We like to stick anything 'controversial' in the PDF. Especially George Bush jokes.
Although I'm starting to hate that stupid hick for the way he's dealing with the middle east! mad

ToMacco
Speaking of the lord, have you all seen Dogma? Real good movie. Makes me think about some crazy stuff.

queeq
No, I didn't forget those. I stil say a damp rock cut tomb sealed of from fresh air is HARDLY the place to be revived from such an ordeal.
Secondly, when Jesus was pierced water and blood came out of it. Physicians all agree now that that particular combination can ONLY appear when a) the person is indeed dead and b) is it caused by severe trauma. Other than that, Roman DID pierce the heart, not just check to see if someone's dead by pricking him a bit. Normally people'd hang on a cross for a day or two. I doubt after all that intense pain you suffer from that you'd be bothered at all by a slight prick.

Other than that I TOTALLY and WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree with Ush. Fact of the matter is, you cannot prove if Jesus rose from the dead nor can you prove he didn't. Only fact we have is that the body is gone. For the rest: you either believe it or not.

yerssot
I thought he got a piercing from the side actually

queeq
IN the side. Through the ribs into the heart.

finti
well read it again and you learn that it was a rainy and chilly day.

and I am sick and tired of that kind of arogance. You belive whatever you want to but dont pity those who doesnt share your belives

yerssot
ow! now I see! well, I'm not a biblical expert so....

Originally posted by finti
and I am sick and tired of that kind of arogance. You belive whatever you want to but dont pity those who doesnt share your belives
And I am sick and tired of people who think I'm sane! big grin wink

queeq
Don't worry, I don't. big grin

Since when did you think it was RAINY, finti? Did you even read it or just watched the movie? It was NOT raining (not that there was any mention of it that is) and I the story doesn't say anything about the temperature. Besides, Jesus was thristy, if it was raining he could have drunk water. Considering the time of the year we may assume that it was poretty warm.
I don't expect you to believe it, finti, do what you think is right, but confusing a discussion with absolutely wrong facts is a tad awkward.

finti
what movie?
God blotted out the sun as if to let us know how black the deed which was being done, and out of that blackness Jesus cried, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? My God My God, why hast Thou forsaken me

The day grew darker as longer it passed even all the paintings I have seen of the crusifixtion have very very dark clouds. I was also thought(nine years of christianity at school) that the last three hours of Jesus suffering on the cross was completly dark.

and by the way they gave him vinegar on the sponge not water

queeq
It got dark after a while, yes. But it did not rain, not that the Scriptures say anyway and that's the only reference, not paintings that were made centuries later.
And the darkness can also be explained by a total eclipse of the sun. Id on't know if astronomers ever checked that, but if we are to take total darkness as literal, than an eclipse is more likely than dark clouds.

yerssot
poodoo! I'm surrounded by people who know the bible very well...

Gundark
My lawyer has told me I don't have to comment.

finti
I am an agnostic, but I`ve been taught in the stories of the bible.
Had it for nine years at school. eek! mad

queeq
THen you should have known better. evil face

yerssot
only nine? I STILL get that crap!

finti
who said I payed attention. We knew when to goof off.
It was the most interesting lessons to raise hell in cause the teacher was religious and used lame words when he got mad.
We had freaking Flanders for a religious teacher laughing out loud

yerssot
even the screams???

finti
we made him squeal allright

yerssot
big grin

queeq
So you were always this nasty, finti. big grin

finti
yup christianity did it to me allright, no rest for the wicket evil face

queeq
So you owe a lot to christianity? big grin

Dim
He does?

I'm really not into this whole religion thing.

yerssot
I didn't heared anyone complaining about THAT big grin

Dim
about what?

yerssot
like I said; that

finti
What if Jesus was a girl?

yerssot
then the meaning

(sensative people, don't read this)
nailed at the cross would get a different meaning

finti
man I am surprised at you Yers big grin evil face

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) so much for a serious conversation

phinney6
yers is cool. LOL hahahaha

yerssot
If you talk about those subjects, you can bet not everyone likes it smile

Gundark
That was rather low, even by board standards.

yerssot
it's high according to my standars though

Gundark
Are you an agnostic or an atheist ?

yerssot
me?
I'm both and neither

finti
I am an agnostic

Julie
Somebody asked the meaning of life in the gen ques thread...the doctrinal answer is that the "chief end of man is to glorify God in heaven"

finti
how dull

yerssot
and those who don't believe? they're scr*wed then?

Julie
I wouldn't put it quite in those terms, but yes....

finti
one have to follow the ten commandments as well.
No one can follow all of those unless you become a munk or a nun.

yerssot
not always ...

Question: if you are a vegetarian and you eat an apple that you know that has pesticide on it, does that make you a murderer?

finti
it makes you an idiot

Dim
weird question..

queeq
Actually, Jesus came to solve the problem that no one can be perfect in laws and rules.

finti
yeah right first they make rules to hard to live by so that the have to make up other things so that it can be a bit easier.

yerssot
damn it! I had a page in a book that had ten questions that could make you go crazy... can't find them, strange that I don't know them by now, I've read them dozens of times!

finti
be yourself Yers and you drive all others crazy

yerssot
alright! Now I know my destiny!

finti
Yes I am your destiny as my sigs says

yerssot
well, we have to give you some false hope anyway

finti
well Julie if you really want a religious quest.

It is widely agreed, among those who belive, that Jesus was crusified, dead and burried on God Friday, and resurected the third day.

Now we (in school) learned that he "stood up" from the dead the morning of easter day.

How is this three days? Dead on Friday, resurected on Sunday

yerssot
ow djee!!!
finti, you brought it back on topic!

LanceWindu
OMG eek!

yerssot
*catches a feinting Lance*

LanceWindu
Put me down!

yerssot
Alright already! Don't get excited

LanceWindu
*yerss drops LW*

THUD!

Owwww!

yerssot
well, you DID wanted me to let go!

LanceWindu
I said PUT ME DOWN, not DROP ME ON MY HEAD PLEASE

Gundark
Then why did you get that tatooed across your forehead ? laughing out loud

Julie
Actually, my Bible teacher believes that Jesus was crucified on Thurs and rose on Sun.....

finti
controversial teacher

yerssot
don't they get fired for that?

finti
Why should he, nobody knows for sure when Jesus really died if ever.

Gundark
The way I have been told, Friday was the first day, Saturday was the second day, thus making Sunday the third day, the day he rose.

finti
He hung on the cross all day so it must have been late Friday afternoon, then there is all of Saturday then he rose Sunday morning. That is hardly 1 1/2 day.
We have to rewrite the New Testament : died and went to heaven rose after 1 1/2 day.
Bogus

Gundark
The New Testament :volume II.

Autographs by finti at 3 and 5pm today.

laughing out loud

Dim
Okay...now I'm more lost than usual... What are you doing fint?

mah
actually a comedian here in norway released his book
''The Bible 2'' recentlysmile

Gundark
finti is the 13th disciple.

yerssot
hmmm... I wonder if you can change just a few things more...

finti
I would, of course , have been THE master i am getting a second opinion on the Bible, second edition as well.

The Bible and its world according to Finti.

*Finti kicks Garp and John Irving`s asses*

queeq
Okay, Jesus never said he would rise AFTER three days. He'd rise ON the third day. He dies on Friday (day one) which'd make SUnday the third. Although there is a good case for Jesus having indeed died on a THursday. THis has to do with a complicated situation of an extra sabbath because of a special year or so. Forgot exactly how that worked. It doesn't matter really. And there is evidence that Jesus lived AND died. Roman sources reported the crucifixion.

Gundark
And there is the shroud of course.

*makes mental note to regret to continue posting here*

queeq
Ah yes, the mysterious shroud. Still, however weird that is, it's not very definate proof yet. I mean, it's quite clear the carbon dating on that was very badly done.... but still.

There is however, a pretty genuine fragment of the sign that hung over Jesus's head in the cross. Only the right side remains, but since the Hebrew, Greek and Latin is written from right to left (depsite the fact that noirmally Latin and Greek are written from left to write and Hebrew is written from right to left) scholars seem to tend to accept this as genuine.

finti
The fact that a person named Jesus lived and was executed during those days are more or less certain. It is just the rest that i dont buy, resurection, son of god, waking people from the dead.
I go for that he might have been some sort of healer and a religious leader of his time that`s all.

queeq
Fair enough. The other things are a matter of faith.

finti
faith is overated big grin

queeq
This is where we fight, right? big grin

Julie
Most likely, but I'd prefer it if we kept it to a peaceful discussion 'k wink

queeq
Oh... you're no fun anymore. big grin

Gundark
Its more fun to fight. *runs off to get pillows and clown gun*

I'm ready now.

queeq
*brings chains and baseball bat*

Bring it on, baby. evil face

Gundark
This is my favorite game. laughing out loud

queeq
And therefore mine. big grin

Gundark
Watch me shoot To out of this cannon.

*KA-BOOM*

He looks kind of cute without his head.

finti
crusifixtion is kind of cool punishment

queeq
Very brutal. But also a bit boring for the bystanders.

finti
suits rapists and childmolesters

Gundark
In those cases, you nail them up by their nuts.

finti
evil face evil face excellent

Gundark
At least thats the worst thing I can come up with.

queeq
I prefer psychological torture. evil face

finti
it was good enough

Gundark
Now what can we do to yerssot ? laughing out loud

queeq
For starters, there's nothing we CANNOT do. evil face

yerssot
but as always I'll menage to survive it all

finti
yeah Clouseau you do

yerssot
"Anne, when I see you, I'l going crazy!"
Anne, those moments should last forever!"

- Clouseau with the song Anne
(translated into English for you all)

finti
chief inspector. whats out for Dreyfuss

yerssot
that French General from the beginning of 1900?
Think he's dead...

Gundark
No no no. Chief Inspector Dreyfuss....

I loved it when he shot his nose off with that gun he thought was his lighter.

queeq
If you call this living... big grin

yerssot
no, I call this typing

Gundark
hunt and peck.

yerssot
hunting n00bs big grin

finti
hunting your brain

yerssot
happy searching big grin

Julie
wow...talk about off track.....well go post in the ques..cont thread big grin

LanceWindu
Basically we need Dim here to close this one down!!!

queeq
I'll do it for her.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.