Why did they have to put in Grevious?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jeff-Man
Ep III is going to be cluttered with fights and everything as it is why make this useless villian that just needs to get killed?

does anyone feel the same way?

JKozzy
No, not really, no.

darth eddie
Grevious is a good idea for a villian but it would have been so much cooler if Darth Maul survived the EP1 duel and we learned some backround on him and used him instead of grevious

Anakin2Vader
why did they put maul in? why dooku? hell why chewbacca? he cant even talk.....but seriously WHY JAR JAR!!!!

Mortanius
Cluttered with fights? I think there needs to be MORE fighting in this movie!

Anakin2Vader
Dooku v Anakin and Obi Wan
Dooku v Anakin
Palpatine v The Posse
Palpatine v Mace
?Mace v Anakin?
Greivous v Obi Wan
Anakin/Vader v Obi Wan
Sidious v Yoda
and more space battles than any other star wars film.... im not thinking clutered... im thinkin thank god GL is doin it right

Mortanius
I think that Jeff-Man was looking forward to a pollitical thriller (like Clear and Present Danger or TPM) and not an action movie.

Jeff-Man
its just that grevious isnt really an important character, so why not get rid of him and make the rest of those fights longer and more story.

pika122689
I kind wished they gave Tarkin Grievous' role in the movie, but without him fighting of course. Seems like a good place to put him.

CinematicESP
I think Grievous is important because he introduces us to what becomes a layer of Darth Vader. Maul was the Sith apprentice driven by hatred. Dooku was the political leader and Jedi-turned-Sith. Grievous is the cyborg Jedi-killer. Combine them all and you have Vader.

Mortanius
He may actually be a very interesting character in the movie. Only time will tell. How about Boba Fett? He had a small role in ESB, but he turned out to be a very popular character.

MochaChica
Come on...fighting vs GL's ever so Shakespearen dialogue? I'll take the fighting. ROTS should be good, but I want fights. Plenty. Some talking here and there, just to fill in the gaps and such, but lots of fight sequences. And Ani with no shirt...*starts to foam at the mouth*

Happy Dance

Red Superfly
Duh! All you n00bs are stoopid. General Grievous transforms into teh Death Star!!!!111!1!!!!!!!11!one!!one!!!1!!11!1!!!!

Darth_Nefarus
Grievous is the brilliant General who is able to defeat the Jedi; both in tactics and melee combat. He's a great character, and I'm pleased Lucas added him. Even though it was mostly for money.

vader519
I agree with CinematicESP, he does somewhat of an important role, and the way he is built is going to explain how the saome technology that was used to create him will be used to created the darth vader suit.

Mortanius
I think that Grievous will put the action over the top. A cyborg wielding four lightsabers; I want to see this.

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

Red Superfly
Stop laughing!!! I read EU you know!!! lol ur a n00b for laughing at me!! lol newbie n00b newb.

Bown down to my 1337 hax0r sk177z!

i cant wait till obi-wan turns to da darkside. if u followed the original trilogy like me then you'd know this.

i read EU so i know

Slaughter
grevious is vary important...and cool..

Red Superfly
when grievous loses his children he will ask the emperor to turn him into teh death star. thats why hes important. i've seen it wiv my own eyes cos my cousin works for lucas. i've also met grievous personally and he told me he's fattening up for his role as the death star.

Darth_Vader05
Grievous is going to be an awesome character and Star Wars Episode III is going to rule

Creechuur
We don't know anything about Greivious. We haven't even seen him in motion yet, fer cripesakes. He could be integral to the story. I think youre making a premature judgement.

All I know so far is that he looks frikkin cool.

I'm still trippin over the idea of that disembodied head waving lightsabers around with its tentacles though. Thats just creepy.

cal31
This from a guy who has Darth Maul as his Sig, wow way to contradict yourself.

LandoSpeeder2
laughing

darktim1
I think it was a good idea bringing general grievious you have cyborg who ruthless and has two body guards with weapons that stop lightsabers now can anyone say he is wimpy not me he is also arrigant in many ways and I know film is going to be like it is on our planet today wars and alot fighting.

Ushgarak
He's just a new piece of heavy back-up for the bad guys. Not ALL the decent enemies should be Sith. you know. Jango Fett played this role in II, Grievous will in III.

Red Superfly
Hey you are on the same wavelength you and me beacuse we both like talking without putting any full stops in senetnces and enjoy to talk like this so we sound like some crazy japanese anime where they talk really fast because there are no full stops or anything of the sort hah hah! oh no would you look at that i used an exclamation mark that is bad very bad because i need to sound like i am talking very fast and anyway i agree that grievous is arrigant so very arrigant he is a ruthless cyborg killer therefore he should be in star wars hah hah! i went and put another punctuation in my sentence oh no but general grievous is teh 1337 and will kill obiwan coz i hate obi-wan and anything i say means itll come true hah hah!

ccoo
I believe Grevious is part machine/part man? Hence, that is where the Emperor gets the idea to save Anakin and turn him into Darth Vader. I believe that is why Grevious is a central character to the movie.

PVS
i think grievous is not only a good idea, but a necessary one.
all star wars films need a sense of victory, no matter how small.
as much of a tragedy as ep5 was, there were still small victories
to lift the audience's spirit and break the angst. whether it be luke
singlehandedly taking down that ATAT with nothing more than a
lightsaber and a grenade...or the rebel fleet escaping the empire from
hoth, or han continually making a fool of the empire's fleet by escaping
time and time again...or even our beloved astromech droid who ultimately
saves the good guys by unlocking the platform door and fixing the hyperdrive.
in the end, the empire pwned the good guys...but the good guys got a few punches in.

the same goes for ep3, which im sure will prove to be far deeper in angst than ep5. rather than get their butts whooped, most of the good guys are going to die, so there has to be some sense of victory for the good guys. well, we know that palps is untouchable at this point, and although vader will taste defeat, he's not a 'pure evil' textbook villain, and we will probably feel sorry for him in the end. so, GL decided to feed the audience another bad guy, one who will be killed. and i assure you that when obiwan hands GG's ass to him, we will all cheer. thats why he's in it...so we can cheer...if just once.

and besides, obiwan will be getting smacked around most of the film.
he needs to come out on top at least once, and prove that he's badass.

so yeah, i find nothing wrong at all with GG, and firmly believe we will all
appreciate this new character when we finally see ep3...so long as GL doesnt screw it up.

Alatopel
Well said, PVS, well said. I agree with that compleatly. Add some happyness to the angst. Light to the dark. *insert compleatly overused darkside/lightside quote here*

CountQuan
who cares as long as the movie is interesting

Holy_Bum
Yea I do kind of wish that there would be one really developed villian in all three prequal movies, but since hes given us Maul in TPM, Dooku in AOTC, he's gonna give us another villian in EP 3. And besides, like someone mentioned previously, I'd much rather see a movie with fight scenes, which is what Lucas is good at, than dialogue and character developement scenes, which he is not so good at.

Besides, we really don't know anything about Grevious yet, he might be a really interesting character.

Only time will tell.

cylob49
Its simple hes in there for the kids in the audience
kids like cool unearthly villains
happened with Maul they went nuts for him thought he was cool
EP2 - they thought Dooku was just an old fart and responded more to Jango cos they thought he was cool
same will go for GG in Episode 3
as much as we the fans are interested in Anakin and what happens to him your average movie going kid and the man on the street want an otherworldly villain in a SW movie for their money
and they got one with (again)minimum screen time and who no doubt will be merchandised to the hilt.

lucasfilm
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
*BREATHES HEAVILY* :: WIPES TEAR:: oh man!

Mortanius
You know it could be worse: Grievous could be the comedy character like Jar Jar Binks was. Tripping over his own bodyguards, slicing off one of his own arms with one of his lightsabers.

guiro72
agree with cylob totally......oh yeah, and he also has to be there for the "dinosaur race".... blink ......just hope it all looks interesting enough that i can get through it to the next important bit.....i guess it stands to be less pointless than the pod race was.....i'm not too bothered about it to be honest....

cylob49
so thats the chase bit for this movie then i guess

guiro72
hopefully it's not how i first imagined it in my cynical mind.....like something from men in black or something.....ugly eye candy.....yeah, though i mention the podrace, it's almost coincidental that they're both race sequences.....it's just always stood out to me as the most monumentally pointless sequence in a star wars film ever.....you can still see the clumsily plastered joins where it was pasted into the plot......

cylob49
yeah on the AOTC commentary he says he always puts a race or chase in the sw movies because of his love of speed

guiro72
yeah, and jar jar because of his love of crack....if the chase in aotc was the one through the asteroid field with jango though, i quite liked that....reminded me of esb a lot, not just that they'd ripped it off, but the lighting and the mood were familiar....felt like it was cold or something, hard to explain.....and the sound.....

cylob49
nah i meant the chase with Zam Wessel
i always regarded that as THE chase of that movie
yeah heads up to Ben Burtt for sound in the AOTC asteroid scene

guiro72
oh yeah, of course....yeah, that one was good too...made sense...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.