The Shadow Children Series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rodeoangel
I have read all the "Shadow Children" books except Among The Imposters. I love them. I was thinking what would happen if we really couldn't have third children. It would be strange. I would'nt have my best friend sad . The next "Shadow Children" book is coming out in June it is about Matthias. (if any of you have read Among The Betrayed you will know best who he is.) Anyway they go to join the population police to try to over turn it. (If u read Among The Barons you will know what I mean).U can wright reveiws of the books here. or ask questions. roll eyes (sarcastic) Happy Dance

its_all_good
I LOVE all those books!!!! I have read everyone of them...some twice...I cant wait until the next one comes out!!!

rodeoangel
I've read Among The Barons alot. I like that one. I feel bad for Smits.

its_all_good
yeah I feel bad for him too...my favorite I think would have to be the latest one that has come out!!! Except I totally dont like how in the end it just leaves you hanging...I cant wait for the next one!!

rodeoangel
Me 2....! I am reading Take Offs And Landings right now cuz I ran out of Shadow Children books to read..It is by the same author it's pretty good. I don't like the end of that either. I think It should have atleast said they made it in too the building safely...or somthin like that. OK??? (sorry but my friend wants me 2 wright this so here is wordz from Kayla,
"I think Nina and Trey should go out..." I'm sorry that wuz my demented friend Kayla. LOL. I can't wait till JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

its_all_good
Hmmm Nina and Trey...that might be cool!!! What is the book you are reading right now about?

rodeoangel
It's about a family who dosn't get along....and the dads dead and they go around to different states and stuff...it is really good.... Kina boring tho..lol.
Today my teacher gave me my own copy of Among The Barons cuz I wuz about to go crazy about it!!!! I'M SO HAPPY! LOL.

its_all_good
Haha thats soo cool!! I have a copy of everybook and I have the other one ordered so that when it comes out I will have it!! So where are you from?

rodeoangel
I'm from Ohio. U?

its_all_good
well I'm from Arizona...Thatcher,Arizona to be exact..haha ever heard of that town?

rodeoangel
Nope. But my friend's friend. Lives in Arizona. Don't know wat part..there pen pals.

its_all_good
Cool thats awesome!

rodeoangel
So....what is ur fav. part in a shadow children book?

its_all_good
well...lets see my favorite part would probably be in among the betrayed when everything turns out to be a test. what about you?

rodeoangel
I all partz with Trey. He's funny. I compare him too the guys in my skool all tough and "Not" scared of anything. and then I look at Trey thinking he got shot when it wuz only a paper cut.LOL. I always laugh then. But my fav part was when Trey saved Luke's life.

its_all_good
yeah that was really cool!

rodeoangel
yeah. I think they should come out with a movie on them. They would be good.

its_all_good
I know that would be so AWESOME!!! I think that they would be really good movies!!

rodeoangel
I wish I knew a director then I could tell them.

its_all_good
haha for reals...I wish I was a director so I could do it

rodeoangel
yup. who would u play? I would probally play Nina cuz i'm a blonde.

its_all_good
I would probably play Nina too...because she is soo cool

Jokess
I love the Shadow Children series and just got done with Among the Barons. That is such a great book, the whole series kicks butt. What books comes after Among the Barons though?

its_all_good
well after Among the Barons it is Among the Brave...and then there is another one coming out sometime...I think it is called something like Among the Enemy...I'm soo excited for it!!

Jokess
Ohhh, yay! I'll have to look for it. What is Among the Brave about? And when is the next one supposed to be coming out?

its_all_good
Among the Brave is mostly about Trey...it basically pics up where the last one left off...I dont really wanna say too much because I want you to read it...it is really good...I think that it is coming out in June or July sometime...but I am not sure

Jokess
Ohhh. Well, thank you for all your help. Toodles!

its_all_good
so thats it huh?!?!?!

Jokess
Sorry! I lied! I came back! angel I just finished Among the Brave and I loooove Trey! love I hope the next one has him in it.

its_all_good
cool! I am so sure that he will be in it because he was in it soo much in the one before...I am sooo excited...I think Among the enemy is coming out June 2

Jokess
Yay! I can't wait until it comes out. A lot of people in my school and into the series now. Even most of my teachers. I'm such a good influence. big grin

its_all_good
haha I bet you are...not that many ppl at my school are into the series...but my best friend is

Jokess
Awww man, I guess that isn't so bad. And as far as me being a good influence don't tell anybody that really knows me that, they might put you in a psyche ward. Haha.

its_all_good
oic...well that wont be a problem of me telling anyone that knows you because...I dont know you that well so I dont know who knows you...haha

Richie515
If i remember correctly the next book in the Shadow Children series is Among The Enemy
its Comming out this summer, June i think, i cant wait big grin

well i just wanted to add that, i g2g
ttyl
bye
~Richie~
Happy Dance stick out tongue Happy Dance

Richie515
i've still gotta read among the brave tho sad , but im gunna wait untill it comes out in paperback and yea

~Richie~
Happy Dance stick out tongue Happy Dance

its_all_good
haha...well all the stuff you posted has already been said...but oh well!!! IT'S ALL GOOD! I cant wait for the book to come out!!!!!

Jokess
Eh, where did my little thingy go? Uh oh. I think I deleted it. Haha. I'll go hunting for a new one. And I had a dream about Trey last night. He is so cute. love

Richie515
yea... i realized that they had all been said after i sent the reply... but need to get among the brave, i've got every book in the series so far, but i decided to wait until it comes out in paperback, i wonder what she's gunna write after Among the Enemy

~Richie~
wacko big grin wacko

rodeoangel
OOps sorry its all good I forgot about this post page..lol..so n.e wayI havn't talked to u in a while. I got hooked on another series. Its called Deltora. There pretty good. I still can't wait for Among the Enemy to come out. What is it like 3 months!!!! I won't forget this post thing n.e more bye...

its_all_good
haha...well its ok that you forgot...I've been talking to Jokess...Maybe in Among the Enemy it will end and there wont be anymore...man I hope not because I love these books!! Tell me about these Deltora books...who writes them and whatever...

rodeoangel
IT BETTER NO BE THE LAST ONE! I am running out of good books. sad Well Deltora is written by Emily Rodda. there completely different from the Shadow Children books. There fantasy and theres quest,Shadowlands,and Dragons of Deltora. And its about Lief Barda and Jasmine and they go on quests and thinks. (they rock). so n.e. way if u want to read more about them there's this post page and it's called should Deltora Quest become a movie and I write there with these other people who like Del. reading

its_all_good
ok...well I'm gonna have to read that one...sounds pretty cool!!!

Richie515
i definately hope its not the last one... cuz if it is then i will absolutely have like no books left to read

its_all_good
yeah...but we all know that they have to end sometime!!

rodeoangel
No they don't!!! Cuz once they do end I will continue writing them and my kids will continue writing them and so on.... (Ok maybe I'm exadurating.) but they can't end SO soon!!!!!!!!!! sad sad sad

Bookluvver928
i LOVE the shadow children series and their coming out w/ a new book.....i think its among the soldiers........but i 4get...and ive read every book in the series.....

rodeoangel
it's among the enemy.

Richie515
but she should at least write 2, or 3 more shadow children series... that would make me happy, then they need to make movies for each one... that would make me happier smile

rodeoangel
2 or 3!! I was thinkin more of 18 19 lol. Ok mayb not. But definatly should make a movie.

Richie515
hopefully more... but then you would run out of "Among The"'s after a while and yea... definatly make a movie

Richie515
oh yea, i added you ppl to my friends list if thats alright with you... if you dont want to be in my buddy list than just say so

rodeoangel
ooh fun! I need buddies.

Richie515
haha

Richie515
about what time will you ppl be on tomorrow???

its_all_good
Wow alot happend yesterday!!! Well I just hope that she doesnt quit writing them in my lifetime...haha...but there should definantely be a movie...and if no one will make it...then I will...haha!!!

Richie515
if i could id write a script... but i suck at writing and yea

its_all_good
haha same here...my movie probably wouldnt be very good...but then again it might because those books are so dang good

flee the evil 1
i noticed this forum a few weeks ago and the series title "Shadow Children" was enough to get me intereseted so i went out to find the books and i Luv them.

i hav read the first two books but hav had to skip to Amoung the Barons as i cant find Amoung the Betrayed anywhere. can sum1 please tell me what its's about?

i was originally worried that these books might be a little soft but once i found out Jen n the others got killed at the protest i was convinced otherwise.

rodeoangel
among the barons! That's my fav 1. I could prob. repeat it by heart. But I won't give it away ok so It's when Luke/Lee goes and lives with Smits Lee's brother. And that's all I can think of rite now. sorry I'm brain dead today...

(Everyone I won't be on prob for a week and a half or so cuz I'm going on vacation. So don't think I forgot about it.)

Richie515
i'm still finishing up among the barons... but im pretty close to finishing and yea

rodeoangel
Hey Richie I sent u a pm did you get it?

Richie515
yea i got it

Richie515
so where ya going?

rodeoangel
uh....North Carolina. And Virginia.

Richie515
sounds fun...

rodeoangel
yeah. Kind of. It gets boring tho.

Richie515
eh... at least its a vacation... be able to get outta school... but the only problem with that is homework

rodeoangel
We don't have skool. Easter break. So I'm not missing homework. Cept. I am gona have to do this big project in one day....

Richie515
oh... we have school tomorrow, then no school friday, or monday

rodeoangel
oh we got off until somtime in April.

Richie515
fun stuff

Richie515
do you have school all year round... or do you get summer break

rodeoangel
we get summer break. And easter break. And thanks giving break. And priest day breaks. And death breaks. And teacher meeting breaks. And hallaween break. and st. Patricks day break. And alot of other breaks. Are school dosn't like school. we also get like 13 snow days.

Richie515
i wasn't sure if you went to one of those all-year-round schools or not...

rodeoangel
Nope. I don't think we got n.e. of those in this state....well none that I heard of.

Richie515
i like wanna move out of this state, but i dont want to leave this trailor court cause i've lived in here all except 2 years of my life

rodeoangel
Oh. I want to get out of America.lol. I get sick of the same place. I lived in my house all my life and it's getting boring and I'm actually begging my parents to move.

Richie515
i wanna move, but then i'd have to leave my best friend, we've been friends since we were 2, and now we're 15... well not yet, he turns 15 on the 2nd of april, i turn 15 on the 15th of may

Richie515
yea... this year is my golden birthday

rodeoangel
OH. I don't care if I leave my best friend she's annoying. ok that sounded mean. She's not annoying just strange she calls me to much.and I don't mean once a day or n.e. thing. She calls me everyhalf hour. We had to get a seperate phone line so she wouldn't bother other phone calls.

Richie515
haha... thats gotta be real fun

Richie515
we filled up a full page with just us

rodeoangel
yeah. I don't even think we were talking about the shadow children...

Richie515
nope not at all... just random things

Richie515
although it would really suck if they actually think about doing that in the future

Richie515
ooh Who's Line Is It Anyway is on... haha

rodeoangel
That's a good show. Which one is it? Is it a new one or is it old?

Richie515
i think its a repeat... i unno... im not really paying attention

rodeoangel
oh. Do they even make new one's of that show?

Richie515
yea... atleast i think so

rodeoangel
This is a random questin but have u ever heard of the new adventures,dragonlance series?

Richie515
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Richie515
no not that i know of

Richie515
we've sent the same amount of replies
haha

rodeoangel
U think of strange things...do u think that other person....uh....It'snotgood??no..itsallgood will get mad for us not talking about shadow children??

Richie515
ummm... i dont think so... arnt you the one who started this board???

Richie515
well i hope not anyway

Richie515
i've gotta go at in about 10 minutes

Richie515
change that... like 5 mins

rodeoangel
yeah I'm the one who started this and ok about the 5 min thang.

Richie515
but yea i dont think she should be too mad

Richie515
and now its time for the irish drinking song... dont ask...

Richie515
i g2g... talk to ya tomarrow... i'm probably gunna get on at about 4:30 5embarrasmento

rodeoangel
We made 2 pages. And there are exactly 101 posts here now and we made about 50 of them today. I checked.

Richie515
byebye

rodeoangel
I won't be on tom. remember...North Carolina/Virginia....so like next week. or somtin like that.

XOXi_Hail3_X0Xi
hey you guyz!
i am a new member here!
and i LOVEEE the shadow children series. i have read every single one of them
i cant wait 4 the new one to come out
its called among the Enemy
and i saw the cover on Amazon
cant wait to read it!!wink

its_all_good
I can't believe you guys thought I would be mad that you weren't talking about the shadow children series...its not like my world revolves around it...haha you can talk about anything you want...welcome you new member...glad you like the books!!!

Richie515
well i didn't, she did

Richie515
Hey have you ever read THE SUPERNATURALIST, by EOIN COLFER???

its_all_good
Nope...Why?(well were you talking to me)

Richie515
yea...i was baisically talking you... But im not sure how much you'd like it, cause its more of a guy book, but you should get it anyway

The setting is in a place called Satellite city, the year 3000...

Fourteen-year-old Cosmo Hill enters the world, unwanted by his parents. He's sent to the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally challenged boys. Freight class.

At Clarissa Frayne, the boys are put to work by the state, testing highly dangerous products. At the end of most days, they are covered with burns, bruises, and sores. Cosmo realizes that if he doesen't escape, he will die at this so-called orphanage.

When the moment finally comes, Cosmo seizes his chance and breaks out with the help of the Supernaturalists, a motley crew of kids who all have the same special ability-they can see supernatural Parasites, creatures that feed on the lifeforce of humans. The Supernaturalists patrol the city at night, hunting the Parasitesin hopes of saving whats left of humanity in Satellite City. Or so they think. The Supernaturalists soon find themselves cought in a web far more complicated than they'd imagined, when they discover a horrifying secret that will force them to question everything they believe in.

Richie515
thats the review on the back of the book, if you want i can send the first chapter too... see if you get hooked

its_all_good
Cool send it to me...sounds like a good book!

Richie515
ok

Richie515
well i think i'll find it on some site, so that i can c&p it into the post, cuz its pretty long, and it'll take me forever to type up

its_all_good
ok cool!

Richie515
well i just may have to type it all up... oh great... this is gonna take a while

Richie515
Chapter 1
Cosmonaut Hill

Satellite City, Northern Hemisphere. Soon

SATELLITE CITY: THE CITY OF THE FUTURE, proclaimed the billboards. A metropolis completely controlled by the Myishi 9 Satellite hovering overhead like a floating man-of-war. An entire city custom constructed for the third millennium. Everything the body wanted, and nothing the soul needed. Three hundred square miles of gray steel and automobiles.

Satellite City. A supercity of twenty-five million souls, each one with a story more heartbreaking than the last. If it's happy-ever-afters you want, stay away from the city of the future.

Take Cosmo Hill, for example, a nice-enough boy who had never done anything wrong in his short existence. Unfortunately, this was not enough to guarantee him a happy life, because Cosmo Hill did not have a sponsor. And in Satellite City, if you didn't have a sponsor and they couldn't trace your natural parents through public-record DNA files, then you were sent to an orphanage until you reached adulthood. And by that time you were either dead, or the orphanage had fabricated a criminal record for you so you could be sold to one of the private labor prisons.

Fourteen years before we take up the thread of this story, baby Cosmo was discovered swaddled in an insulated Cheery Pizza envelope on Cosmonaut Hill in Moscowtown. The state police swabbed him for DNA, searched for a match in the Satellite mainframe, and came up blank. Nothing unusual about that -- orphans turn up every day in the city. So the newly christened Cosmo Hill was dipped in a vaccine vat and sent on a tube to the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys. Freight class.

Satellite City was not part of any welfare state, so its institutions had to raise funds in any way they could. Clarissa Frayne's speciality was product testing. Whenever a new modified food or untested pharmaceutical product was being developed, the orphanage volunteered its "no-sponsor" charges as guinea pigs. It made perfect financial sense. The orphans got fed and cleaned, and the Frayne Institute got paid for the privilege.

Cosmo received his schooling from education software, his teeth were whiter than white, and his hair was lustrous and flake-free; but his insides felt like they were being scoured with a radioactive wire brush. Eventually, Cosmo realized that the orphanage was slowly killing him. It was time to get out.

There were only three ways out of Clarissa Frayne:

adoption, death, or escape. There was zero chance that he'd actually be adopted -- not at his age. Truculent teenagers were not very popular with the childless middle classes. For years, he had cherished the dream that someone would want him; now it was time to face facts. Death was much easier to achieve. All he had to do was keep on doing what he was told, and his body would give up in a matter of years. The average life expectancy of an institutionalized orphan was fifteen years. Cosmo was fourteen. That left him with less than twelve months before the statistics said his time was up. Twelve months to plan for the final option. There was only one way he would get out of Clarissa Frayne alive: escape.

At the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys, every day was basically the same. Toil by day, fitful sleep by night. There were no days off, no juvenile rights. Every day was a work day. The marshals worked the orphans so hard that by eight p.m. most of the boys were asleep standing up, dreaming of their beds.

Cosmo Hill was the exception. He spent every moment of his waking life watching for that one chance. That split second when his freedom would beckon to him from outside an unlocked door or an unguarded fence. He must be ready to seize that moment and run with it.

It wasn't likely that his chance would come on this particular day. And even if it did, Cosmo didn't think he would have the energy to run anywhere.

The no-sponsors had spent the afternoon testing a new series of antiperspirants. Their legs had been shaved and sectioned with rings of tape. The flesh between the bands was sprayed with five varieties of antiperspirant, and then the boys were set on treadmills and told to run. Sensors attached to their legs monitored their sweat glands, determining which spray was most effective. By the end of the day, Cosmo had run ten miles, and the pores on his legs were inflamed and scalded. He was almost glad to be cuffed to a moving partner and begin the long walk back to the dormitory.

Marshal Redwood ushered the boys into the dorm. Redwood resembled a waxed gorilla, with the exception of a red cowlick, which he toyed with constantly.

"Now, boys," said Redwood, unlocking one pair of cuffs at a time. "There's a game on tonight that I am very interested in seeing. As a matter of fact, I bet a few dinars on the outcome. So if you know what's good for you . . ."

Redwood didn't have to finish his threat. The boys knew that the marshal had a hundred legal ways of making a no-sponsor's life miserable. And a thousand illegal ones.

"Sleep well, young princes," said the marshal, grinning, keying his code into the dorm door. "Tomorrow, as usual, is a busy day. Jam-packed full of fun."

The no-sponsors relaxed once Redwood had gone, and the silence of discipline was replaced by the groans and sobs of boys in pain. Cosmo touched his leg gingerly where a particularly acidic spray had actually burned the skin.

"Five minutes to lights-out," said Redwood's voice over a network of speakers. "Climb the ladders, boys."

Three hundred orphans turned immediately to the dozen or so steel ladders, and began climbing. Nobody wanted to be stranded on the dorm floor once the ladders were retracted. If the marshals caught a no-sponsor on the ground after lights out, a ten-mile run would seem like a Sunday stroll compared to the punishment they would dish out.

Each boy had an assigned space in the dorm, where he ate, slept, and passed whatever leisure time the no-sponsors had. These rooms were actually sections of cardboard utility pipe that had been sawed into six-foot lengths. The pipes were suspended from a network of wires almost fifty feet off the ground. Once the pipes were occupied by orphans, the entire contraption swayed like an ocean liner.

Cosmo climbed quickly, ignoring the pain in his leg muscles. His pipe was near the top. If the lights went out before he reached it, he could be stranded on the ladder. Each step brought fresh stabs of pain to his tendons, but he climbed on, pressing against the boy ahead with his head, feeling the boy behind closing in.

After a few minutes of feverish climbing, Cosmo reached his level. A narrow walkway, barely the width of his hand, serviced each pipe. Cosmo slid across carefully, gripping a rail on the underside of the walkway above him. His pipe was four columns across. Cosmo swung inside, landing on the foam-rubber mattress. Ten seconds later, the lights went out.

A sick yellow glow lit the interior of each pipe. Dinner. The meal had been thrown in earlier by a marshal in a cherry picker. The meal packs had been tested a few years previously by the no-sponsors for use by soldiers in the field. The trays and water bottles were luminous, and also edible, which meant that the orphans could eat after lights-out, saving the management a few dinars. The tray was made from a rough, unleavened crispbread, and the water bottle from a semirigid gum. The army had discontinued use of the meal packs following several lawsuits by soldiers, claiming that the luminous packs caused internal bleeding. The orphanage bought up the surplus and fed them to the orphans every single day.

Cosmo ate slowly, not bothering to wonder what was in the meal. Wondering about it would only add one more worry to his list. He had to believe that he would escape Clarissa Frayne before the meal packs could do him any lasting damage.

Cosmo saved the water for last, using most of it to wash down the crispbread tray. Then he turned the gum bottle inside out, laying it across his head like a facecloth. There must be a better life, he thought glumly. Somewhere, at this very moment, people were talking openly. Surely people were laughing. Real laughter too, not just the spiteful kind that so often echoed around the orphanage halls.

Cosmo lay back, feeling the gum bottle's moisture seeping into his forehead. He didn't want to think tonight. He didn't want to play the parent game, but the sleep that he had yearned for was proving elusive. His own parents. Who were they? Why had they abandoned him on Cosmonaut Hill? Maybe he was Russian. It was impossible to tell from his features. Brown curly hair; brown eyes; light skin, freckled brown. He could be from anywhere.

Why had they abandoned him?

Cosmo transferred the gum bottle to a red strip on his leg. Shut up, he told his brain. Not tonight. No living in the past. Look to the future.

Someone knocked gently from the pipe above. It was Ziplock Murphy. The network was opening up. Cosmo answered the knock with one of his own, then pulled back his mattress, signaling Fence in the pipe below. The no-sponsors had developed a system of communication that allowed them to converse without angering the marshals. Clarissa Frayne discouraged actual face-to-face communication between the boys, on the grounds that friendships might develop. And friendships could lead to unity, maybe even revolt.

Richie515
Cosmo dug his nails into a seam in the cardboard pipe and pulled out two small tubes. Both had been fashioned from mashed gum bottles and crispbread, then baked on a windowsill. Cosmo screwed one into a small hole in the lower surface of his pipe, and the other into a hole overhead.

Ziplock's voice wafted through from above. "Hey, Cosmo. How are your legs?"

"Burning," grunted Cosmo. "I put my gum bottle on one, but it's not helping."

"I tried that too," said Fence from below. "Antiperspirants. This is nearly as bad as the time they had us testing those Creeper slugs. I was throwing up for a week."

Comments and suggestions snuck through the holes from all over the pipe construct. The fact that the pipes were all touching, along with the acoustics of the hall, meant that voices traveled amazing distances through the network. Cosmo could hear no-sponsors whispering a hundred yards away.

"What does the Chemist say?" asked Cosmo. "About our legs?"

The Chemist was the orphanage name for a boy three columns across. He loved to watch medical programs on TV, and was the closest the no-sponsors had to a consultant.

Word came back in under a minute. "The Chemist says spit on your hands and rub it in. The spit has some kind of salve in it. Don't lick your fingers, though, or the antiperspirant will make you sicker than those Creeper slugs."

The sound of boys spitting echoed through the hall. The entire lattice of pipes shook with their efforts. Cosmo followed the Chemist's advice, then lay back, letting a hundred different conversations wash over him. Sometimes he would join in, or at least listen to one of Ziplock's yarns. But tonight all he could think about was that moment when freedom would beckon to him. And being ready when it arrived.

Cosmo's chance at freedom came the very next day during a routine transfer. Forty no-sponsors, Cosmo among them, had just spent the day at a music company watching proposed TV spots for computer-generated pop groups, followed by a sixty-kilobyte questionnaire. Which sim-singer did you prefer? Which sim-performer was cool? Cool? Even the company's computers were out of touch. Kids rarely said cool anymore. Cosmo barely read the questions before checking a box with his digi-pen. He preferred music made by real people to pixel-generated pop. But nobody complained. A day watching music videos was infinitely preferable to more chemical tests.

Frayne marshals loaded the no-sponsors into a truck after the session. The vehicle must have been a hundred years old, with actual rubber tires instead of plastic treads. Cosmo was paired with Ziplock Murphy as a cuff partner. Ziplock was okay, except that he talked too much. This was how he had earned his orphanage name. Once, the Irish boy had talked too much to the wrong person and got the ziplock from a food baggie superglued over his mouth. It took weeks for the blisters to heal. Not only did Ziplock not learn his lesson, but now he had something else to talk about.

"They don't call it superglue for nothing," Ziplock said animatedly, as one of the marshals threaded the cuffs through the restraining ring on the seat. "Medics use that stuff in war zones to seal up the wounded. They pour it straight onto the wounds."

Cosmo nodded without much enthusiasm. Ziplock seemed to forget that he had told this story about a million times, maybe because Cosmo was the only one who even pretended to listen while he talked.

"They had to use boiling water to get the bag off my face," continued Ziplock. "I didn't feel anything, in case you're worried. One of the marshals shot my entire head full of anaesthetic first. They could have been banging six-inch nails into my skull and I wouldn't have minded."

Cosmo rubbed the flesh beneath the cuffs. All the no-sponsors had a ring of red flesh around their wrists. A mark of shame.

"You ever try breathing only through your nose for an entire day? I panicked a few times, I'll admit it."

In the cab, the pilot was uplinking the truck to the navigation section of the Satellite. But there had been trouble with the Satellite lately. Too many add-ons, the TV brains said. Myishi 9 was simply getting too heavy for its engines to support such a low orbit. There was even talk of some companies' aerials snapping off and burning up.

"What's the delay?" shouted Marshal Redwood. The bulky redhead had bad breath today and a worse attitude. Too many beers the night before. His pendulous belly spoke of too many beers almost ever night.

"If I'm late again tonight, Agnes swears she's moving to her sister's."

"It's the Satellite," shouted the pilot. "I can't get a line."

"Well, make a line, or my boot is going to make a line to your butt."

Ziplock snickered just loud enough for Redwood to hear.

"You think I'm joking, Francis?" shouted the man, boxing Ziplock on the ear. "You think I wouldn't do it?"

"No, sir. You'd do it, okay. You've got that look in your eyes. It isn't smart to mess with a man who's got that look."

Redwood lifted Ziplock's chin until their eyes met. "You know something, Francis? That's the first clever thing I've ever heard you say. It isn't smart to mess with me, because I do whatever I please. The only reason I don't get rid of a dozen of you freaks every day is the paperwork. I hate paperwork."

Ziplock should have left it there, but he couldn't. His big mouth wouldn't let him. "I heard that about you, sir."

Redwood tugged harder on Ziplock's chin, cranking it up a few more notches. "What's that, Francis? What did you hear?"

Cosmo tugged on the cuff chain. A warning. Redwood was not a man to push over the edge. Even the psycho kids were afraid of Redwood. There were stories about him. No-sponsors had gone missing.

But Ziplock couldn't stop. The words were spewing out of him like agitated bees from a hive. "I heard you don't like the paperwork, on account of some of the words have more than three letters."

The sentence was followed by a high-pitched giggle.

More hysteria than humor. Cosmo realized that Ziplock was headed for the psycho ward, if he lived that long.

Redwood transferred his fingers to Ziplock's throat, squeezing casually. "Morons like you never get it. Being a smartmouth doesn't win you any prizes in this city, it just gets you hurt, or worse."

The Satellite saved Ziplock's neck, beaming down a transportation plan before Redwood could tighten his fingers another notch. The truck lurched from its spot in the parking bay, rolling onto the main highway. A guiding rod extended from below the chassis, slotting into a corresponding groove in the highway.
"We're locked in," called the pilot. "Ten minutes to the Institute."

Redwood released Ziplock's neck. "You've got the luck of the Irish, Francis. I'm too happy to inflict pain on you now. But later, when I'm in a foul mood, you can count on it."

Ziplock drew a greedy breath. He knew from experience that soon his windpipe would shrink to the diameter of a straw and he would whistle when he spoke.

"Keep a lid on it, Ziplock," hissed Cosmo, watching the marshal continue down the aisle. "Redwood is crazy. We're not real people to him."

Ziplock nodded, rubbing his tender throat. "I can't help it," he rasped, tears in his eyes. "The junk just comes out of my mouth. This life just drives me crazy."

Cosmo knew that feeling well. It visited him most nights as he lay in his pipe listening to the cries around him.

"You must feel it too, Cosmo? You think anybody is going to adopt a borderline psycho kid, or a moody teenager like yourself?"
Cosmo looked away. He knew that neither of them fit the likely adoptee profile, but Ziplock had always managed to pretend that today was the day his new parents would show up. Denying that dream meant that Ziplock was teetering on the brink of crackup.

Cosmo rested his forehead against the window, watching the city beyond the glass. They were in the projects now, flashing past gray apartment blocks. Pig-iron buildings, which was why the locals referred to Satellite City as the Big Pig. Not that the material was actually pig iron. It was a superstrong steel-based polymer that was supposed to stay cool in summer and warm in winter, but managed to do exactly the opposite.
The truck shuddered violently. Something had rear-ended them. Redwood was thrown to the floor's plastic planks. "Hey, what's going on up there?" he said.

Cosmo raised himself to the cuff's limits, straining to see. The pilot was on his feet, repeatedly punching his code into the uplink unit. "The Satellite. We lost our link!"

No link! That meant they were out here on an overcrowded highway with no pattern to follow. Minnows in a sea of hammerheads. They were struck again: sideswiped this time. Cosmo glimpsed a delivery minivan careering off the highway, bumper mangled.Redwood struggled to his feet. "Go to manual, you cretin. Use the steering wheel."

The pilot paled. Steering wheels were only used in rural zones or for illegal drag racing in the Booshka region. More than likely he had never wrestled with a steering wheel in his life. The choice was taken away from the unfortunate man when a revolving advertisement drone hit them head on, crushing the cab like a concertina. The pilot was lost in a haze of glass and wiring.

The impact was tremendous, lifting the truck from its groove and flipping it onto its side. Cosmo and Ziplock dangled from their chairs, saved by the restraining cuffs. Redwood and the other marshals were scattered like so many leaves in a storm.

Cosmo could not tell how many times other vehicles collided with the truck. After a time the impacts blended together like the final notes of a frenetic drum solo. Huge dents appeared in the paneling, accompanied by resonating thunderclaps. Every window smashed, raining crystal rainbows.

Richie515
Cosmo hung on-what else could he do? Beside him, Ziplock's hysterical laughter was almost as piercing as the shards of glass. "Oh, man, this is it!" shouted the Irish boy.

The truck revolved a half turn, slewing off the highway in a cascade of sparks. Chunks of asphalt collapsed beneath the onslaught, leaving a thirty-meter trench in the vehicle's wake. They eventually came to rest after smashing through the window of the Dragon's Beard Chinese Restaurant. The spicy odors of ginger and soy mingled with the smells of machine oil and blood.

Cosmo put one foot on a windowsill, taking the strain off his arms. "Ziplock! Francis, are you okay?"

"Yeah, still here." The boy sounded disappointed.

Throughout the bus, no-sponsors were groaning and yelling for help. Some were injured, a few were worse. The marshals were generally out for the count. Either that, or staring at whichever limb was pointing the wrong way. Redwood gingerly touched a swelling nose. "I think it's broken," he moaned. "Agnes is gonna love this."

"Oh, well," said Ziplock, dangling above Redwood's frame. "Every cloud has a silver lining."

Redwood froze, crouching on all fours like a pit bull. A fat drop of blood slipped from one nostril, falling through an empty window frame. "What did you say?" The marshal spoke slowly, making sure every word came out right.

Cosmo swung his foot across, catching his cuff partner in the ribs. "Shut up, Ziplock. What happens to you, happens to me!"

"Okay! Okay! I didn't say anything, Marshal. Nothing at all."

But it was too late. An invisible line had been crossed. In the midst of all the chaos, Redwood retreated into himself. When he came back out, he was an altogether more dangerous individual. "The way I see it," he said, standing slowly to face the dangling boys and running a pocket comb through his precious red locks, "is that your cuff ring snapped, and you tried to escape."

In spite of his quick mouth, Ziplock was a bit slow to catch on. "What are you talking about, Mr. Redwood? There's nothing wrong with our cuff ring. Look!" He tugged the cuff to demonstrate.

"I ordered you to stop, but you wouldn't listen." Redwood sighed dramatically, his nose whistling slightly. "I had no choice but to shrink-wrap you."

Shrink-wrap was security-speak for the cellophane-virus slugs that the marshals loaded their gas-powered rods with. Once the slug hit a solid object, the virus was released and coated the target with a restrictive layer of cellophane. The cellophane was porous enough to allow shallow breathing, but had been known to squeeze so tightly that it cracked ribs. Cosmo had been shrink-wrapped once before. He had spent a week in a body cast as a result.

Cosmo elbowed Ziplock aside. "Marshal Redwood, sir. Francis didn't mean anything. He's just an idiot. I'll teach him, sir. Let me take care of it. You get that nose fixed up."

Redwood patted Cosmo's cheek. "It's a pity, Hill, because I always liked you. You don't stand up for yourself. But unfortunately, all wars have collateral damage."

The marshal reached over, inserting his swipe card into the cuff ring. The boys dropped two meters, crumpling onto the carpet of glass.

Redwood drew his rod, checking the chamber. "I'm a reasonable man," he said. "You've got twenty seconds."

Cosmo shook the glass from his clothes, dragging Ziplock to his feet. This was it. His chance had come. Live or die. "Why don't you give us thirty seconds?"

Redwood laughed. "Now, why would I do that?"

Cosmo grabbed the marshal's nose, twisting almost ninety degrees. "That's why."

Redwood's eyes filled with tears and he collapsed, writhing in the broken glass.

"Let's go," said Cosmo, grabbing Ziplock by the elbow. "We have thirty seconds."

Ziplock stood his ground. "I want to spend my half a minute watching Redwood squirm."

Cosmo ran toward the rear window, dragging the Irish boy behind him. "Use your imagination. I prefer to live."

They climbed through the broken window into the restaurant. Diners were hugging the walls, in case the truck decided to lurch another few feet. In a few more seconds the city police would arrive, and all avenues of escape would be shut off. The searchlights from TV birds were already poking through the decimated front wall.

Ziplock grabbed a couple of duck pancakes from a stunned diner's plate. The no-sponsors had heard of freshly prepared food, but never actually tasted any before.

Ziplock stuffed one into his own mouth, offering the other to his cuff partner. Cosmo was not stupid enough to refuse food, no matter what the circumstances. Who knew when they would get to eat again, if indeed they ever did? This could be the condemned boys' last meal.

He bit into the pancake, and the tangy sauce saturated his tongue. For a boy raised on prepackaged developmental food, it was an almost religious experience. But he could not pause to enjoy it. Sirens were already cutting through the engine hiss.

Cosmo ran toward the rear of the restaurant, dragging Ziplock behind him. A waiter blocked their path. He wore a striped jumpsuit, and his hair was exceptionally shiny even by product-tester standards. "Hey," he said vaguely, not sure if he wanted to get involved. The boys skipped around the man before he could make up his mind.

A back door led to a narrow stairway, winding out of sight. Possibly to freedom, possibly to a single-room dead end. There was no time for conscious decision. Redwood would be coming soon, if he was not already on his way. They took the stairs, squeezed together shoulder to shoulder.

"We're never going to make it," panted Ziplock, plum sauce dribbling down his chin. "I hope he doesn't get us before I finish this pancake."

Cosmo increased the pace, the cuff digging into his wrist. "We will make it. We will."

The boys rounded a corner straight into a luxurious studio apartment. A man's face peered out from beneath a large double bed.

"The earthquake," the man squeaked. "Is it over?"

"Not yet," replied Ziplock. "The big shock is on the way."

"Heaven help us all," said the man, retreating behind the fringe of a chintz bedcover.

Ziplock giggled. "Let's go before he realizes that his reporters are runaway no-sponsors."

The apartment was decorated with ancient Chinese artifacts. Suits of battle armor stood in each corner, and jade dragons lined the shelves. The main room had several windows, but most were decorative plasma; only one led to Satellite City. Cosmo popped the clip, pulling open the triple-glazed react-to-light pane.

Ziplock stuck his face into the outside air. "Excellent," he said. "A fire escape. A way down."

Cosmo stepped through, onto a metal grille. "Down is what Redwood will expect. We go up."

Ziplock held back. "Up?"

Cosmo pulled him through. "Don't tell me the boy who irritates marshals for fun is afraid of heights?"

"No," replied Ziplock, pallor washing his gaunt face. "I'm afraid of the ground."

Marshal Redwood did not pass out. He wasn't that lucky. Instead, a block of pain battered him like a malignant glacier. He combated the agony using a trick from his army days. Locate the white center of the pain and concentrate on it. Redwood found to his surprise that the root of his pain was not his nose, but in the center of his forehead. He focused on the spot, sucking the pain in and containing it. He trapped it there long enough to pop a pain tab from its plastic bubble in his medi-kit. Barely a minute later the pain receded to a dull throb behind one ear. Under control. For now.

Back to business. Those no-sponsors had thrown his authority back in his face. Those two were getting shrink-wrapped for sure. Still, best to pretend to follow the rules. He unclipped a communicator from his belt. "Redwood to base."

"That you, Redwood? We thought you were dead."

Redwood scowled. Fred Allescanti was on duty back at base. That man made goldfish look smart. "Yeah, well, I'm alive. But I've got a couple of runners. I'm leaving now in pursuit."

"I don't know, Marshal Redwood. You're supposed to stay with the vehicle. Regulations. They're sending a truck for you. Five minutes, tops."

Redwood lifted a rod from one of his unconscious colleagues. "Negative. The no-sponsors are armed and have already fired cellophane slugs. Can you imagine the lawsuit Clarissa Frayne will be looking at if they wrap a civilian?"

Fred did not answer for a few moments. Doubtless he was checking protocol in the security manual.

"Okay, Redwood. Maybe you could knock them around a bit first, that way we get to test some of the new pharmaceuticals."

That was typical of the institute, always looking for the upside. A new batch of synthetic skin had just come in, but they needed people with wounds to test it.

Redwood hid the throw-down rod inside his jacket. "I'll see what I can do."

In the restaurant, patrons were escaping through a side door. Not that they were guilty of anything, but nobody wanted to spend their evening answering questions from private security, state police, insurance agents, and lawyers.

Richie515
When Redwood clambered through the remains of the escape hatch, people instinctively stepped out of his way. The marshal's fierce eyes and pulped mass of a face made it seem not wise to obstruct him.

For a man in pursuit of fugitives, Redwood did not seem overly eager, or even anxious. And why would he be? Though the no-sponsors were not aware of it, escape was impossible. Every move they made was being tracked. And these were not the kind of trackers that could be discarded. They were in every pore. Whenever the no-sponsors took a shower, their skin was coated with micro beads of an electronegative halogen solution, which would show up on the Clarissa Frayne scanner. Even if the orphans stopped taking showers, the solution would take months to wear off.

Redwood keyed the talk button on his communicator. "Fred. Send the Hill C and Murphy F tracker patterns to my handset."

Fred cleared his throat into the mike. "Uh . . . the tracker patterns?"

Redwood ground his teeth. "Dammit, Fred, is Bruce there? Put Bruce on."

"Bruce got called out for a little situation in D Block. I'm all on my lonesome here."

"Okay, Fred. Listen to me carefully. Punch up Cosmo and Ziplock on the tracker file, then e-mail their patterns to my handset. Use the e-mail icon. My number is right there under Personnel. All you have to do is drag and drop the folders. Got it?"

Fred wiped his sweating brow. Over the radio it sounded like sandpaper on soft wood. "I got it. Drag the folders. No problem. Here it comes."

"It had better be coming. Or I'm coming for you."

It was Redwood's habit to turn statements into threats. In sim-coffee shops he was known to say, "It had better be hot, or I'll make it hot for you." Redwood thought this was extremely clever.

Five seconds later, two moving icons appeared on the small screen on Redwood's communicator, placing the fugitives on a fire escape outside the building. Going up, too, the idiots. What were they going to do? Fly off the roof?

Redwood grinned, the action bringing tears of pain to his eyes. Fly off the roof. That wasn't such a bad idea.

In Satellite City, raindrops could take a person's eye out if he were foolish enough to look up during a storm. Reaction with certain toxic fumes caused the water molecules to bond more efficiently until they fell to earth like missiles. Traditional umbrellas were no longer sufficient, and new rigid-plastic models were becoming popular in the Big Pig.

Ziplock and Cosmo did not have the luxury of umbrellas to help them through the current downpour, and had to make do with keeping their eyes down and shoulders hunched. Raindrops battered their necks and backs, but the boys were so cold that they barely felt any pain.

Ziplock was thrown against the fire escape bars by a flurry of drops. "I can see the city. I always wanted to see the city without shackles on my wrist. Maybe we can do that soon, Cosmo. Just walk around without shackles."

Cosmo saved his energy for flight. The roof was still one floor up. After that they were banking on good fortune. Maybe they could make the jump to the next building. Maybe not.

They hugged the wall, avoiding the brunt of the rainstorm. Below, in the streets, car alarms were activated by the mutant drops. Security firms never responded to car call-outs during a rainstorm. They were always set off by weather conditions or very foolish car jackers.

Cosmo rounded the final corner onto the roof, a flat expanse of slick, tar-coated felt, punctuated by a stairwell box, like a submarine's conning tower. The box's corrugated roof was buckling under the rain's onslaught. And, suddenly, the downpour stopped, as though God had turned off the water. Another characteristic of Satellite City's freakish weather.

"Someone up there likes us," said Ziplock.

"It's a bit late for that," commented Cosmo, shaking the water from his hair. "Let's go."

They padded across the saturated felt. With every step the roof sagged alarmingly, and in several spots the support girders were visible through sparse strands of felt. The connecting building was one story down. As a landing pad, it left a lot to be desired. The rooftop was littered with the remains of a squatter camp. Breeze blocks lay like discarded dominos, and sparks spluttered from the cracked casing of a rooftop generator.

Cosmo hooked his toes over the edge, trying not to think about the drop. "You think we can make it?" he asked.

Ziplock's reply was to rear back from the brink.

Cosmo was undeterred. "I think we can make it. I really think we can."

"I don't think you will. Either of you," said someone in nasal tones. Anybody who spoke like that either had a bad cold, or a broken nose.

Cosmo and Ziplock turned slowly. Marshal Redwood stood in the rooftop doorway, lips stretched in a huge grin. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. "I took the elevator," he explained. "You two are dumber than recycled sewage. What did you think? Going up would fool me?"

Cosmo didn't answer. It wasn't really a question. Water was dripping from his hair, down between his shoulder blades. Perhaps that was what made him shiver.

"We surrender, Marshal. Don't we, Ziplock?"

Ziplock was too petrified to answer.

"Too late for surrender. You're armed fugitives now. I can't take any chances. You gotta be wrapped." Redwood took the throw-down from his vest, dropping it at their feet.

Cosmo's breath came in short gasps. "Please, Marshal. We're on a rooftop. It could be hours before they get us in the vat."

The vat contained an acidic compound used to dissolve the cellophane.

"I know," said Redwood, the craziness in his eyes shining through the tears.

Redwood marched over to Ziplock, gathering a bunch of his lapel in his fist. He leaned the terrified boy over the lip of the roof. "This is the last lesson, Francis. You'd better learn from this one."

Ziplock began to giggle, hysterical laughter that had nothing to do with happiness.

Redwood placed the rod against his forehead. "I'd advise you to shut your mouth, Francis. You don't want any plastic going in there."

"Do your worst, Redwood," shouted Ziplock, eyes wide. "I can't get any more scared than I am right now."

Redwood laughed, causing a fresh spurt from his tear ducts. "Oh, I don't know about -- "

Then Ziplock's jumpsuit ripped. One too many cleanings had left it with the strength of wet cardboard. Redwood was left holding a rose-shaped bunch of material, and Ziplock was left at an angle he couldn't correct.

His final word was to Cosmo. "Sorry," he said, and slipped over the edge.

It wasn't a long way down. Schoolchildren have jumped from higher trees and escaped without so much as a twisted ankle. But when Ziplock went over, he went over backward, dragging Cosmo with him.

There was no time for prayer, or screams. Cosmo's life did not flash before his eyes. One moment he was pleading with Marshal Redwood; the next, land and sky flipped, and he was facedown in the next building's rooftop generator.

Alive, though. Definitely. In some considerable pain, but alive. Pain was proof of that. Cosmo's vision was filled with multicolored wires, sparks, ancient transformers, and rust chips that fluttered around his head like bloody snowflakes.

His arm jiggled. Ziplock was moving.

"No," Cosmo whispered, no air for shouting. "Don't move."

Ziplock moved again. Maybe he had heard, maybe he hadn't. Cosmo would never know. His partner's movement dragged the metal cuff across two exposed wires, diverting ten thousand volts from the supply wires and into the two boys.

The charge catapulted the boys from the generator, spinning them across the roof puddles like stones across a pond. They came to rest against a guardrail. On their backs. Looking up.

Redwood peered down from above. Both boys' patterns had disappeared from his tracker. The generator could have shorted out the electronegative halogen microbeads in their pores. But most likely they were dead.

It was obvious what could have happened. The fugitives had been knocked from the roof by the rainstorm. It was a simple lie, and believable, so long as he did not stick around here to get photographed by some snoop satellite. The marshal hurried to the stairwell. Better to let someone else find the bodies. He would be in the restaurant helping the injured when it happened.

Cosmo did not have the energy to speak. His entire body felt bleached by the electric shock. All he could hear was his own heartbeat, slowing with every breath. Missing beats. Shutting down.

His eyes played tricks on him. Hallucinations, he supposed. Strange inhuman creatures appeared on the walls of the surrounding buildings, crawling at amazing speeds with no regard for gravity. They hurtled over the lip of the building, veering sharply downward toward the crash site. Two split from the group, swerving toward the injured boys. One settled on Cosmo's chest. Weightless. Watching him with large, expressionless eyes. The creature was the size of an infant, with smooth, blue, translucent skin, four slender limbs, and an oval head. Its features were delicate and impassive. Hairless and smooth. Sparks rolled in its veins instead of blood.

Richie515
The second creature flickered in the corner of his eye, settling beside Ziplock, cradling his smoking head. Cosmo felt his heart skip another beat. Maybe two. What were these creatures? Fear sent a shiver through his chest, like another blast from the generator.

His spine arched in shock and panic, bucking the creature on his chest, but it held on effortlessly. It reached out a blue hand. Four fingers, thought Cosmo, only four. The hand settled on his heart and sucked. Somehow the hand was pulling the pain from his body. The agony dipped, faded, and was gone. The more the creature sucked, the brighter its light became, until its blue glow morphed to sunset gold. Cosmo used the last of his energy to look down. Something was flowing from him in a starry stream. He knew what it was. Life. Cosmo felt his days and months slips from his body like water through a fractured dam. The creature was killing him. The panic rose in him again. He wanted to struggle -- he tried to grab the creature, but his muscles had turned to jelly.

Then things happened very quickly. Three kids appeared on the rooftop. Two boys and a girl. They weren't medics of any kind -- that much was clear from their clothing and their ages -- but at least they were human.

"Two here," said the first, a tall older boy clothed from head to foot in black. "I'll take them. You check below."

His comrades scurried to the roof's edge, peering down to the street.

"They're looking, but they're not landing," said the second newcomer. A Latina girl, maybe fifteen, with a gang tattoo over one eyebrow. "Too much water. The fire brigade are hosing the truck."

The first youth drew what looked like a torch from his shoulder holster, twisting a ring on its base. White sparks flickered at the business end. He fired the device on the move: two blasts of pure electricity erupted from the barrel of his strange weapon. The effect was spectacular. The white bolts sank into the ghostly creatures' skin, branching into a million tendrils. Each one traced a vein, fusing with the sparks already in there. The creatures shuddered and convulsed, their skin swelling to bursting point. And past it. They both exploded into a dozen perfect spheres of light, which drifted away on the breeze.

"Wow," croaked Cosmo, wasting his last gasp of air.

"A live one!" said the group's third member, who seemed about six years old. Blond, with a child's disproportionately large head, he knelt beside Cosmo, checking his heartbeat and shining a light into one pupil. "No dilation and irregular heartbeat. He needs a defibrillator, Stefan. We need to kick-start his heart."

Hallucination. It must be an hallucination.

The tall youth, Stefan, loomed in Cosmo's fading vision. "What about the other one, Ditto?"

Ditto placed a hand on Ziplock's chest. For a second Cosmo thought he saw lifestream playing around his fingers. Then . . .

"The other one? No. He's gone. Not a peep."

Stefan adjusted his weapon. "Well, I don't have a defibrillator."

Ditto stepped away hurriedly. "You sure? This roof is wet."

Stefan pointed the weapon at Cosmo's chest. "No," he said, and fired.

Cosmo felt the charge going in like a sledgehammer through his ribs. Surely it must have broken every bone in his chest. Surely this was the last straw. His body could take no more. He felt his hair straightening, tugging at the pores in his scalp. His jumpsuit caught fire, dropping from his skin in burning clumps. Ditto doused him with the contents of a nearby fire bucket, but Cosmo did not feel the cold. Something else was happening.

Ba-doom . . .

His heart. Beating again. And again.

Ba-doom. Ba-doom.

"We got him!" crowed Ditto. "This guy's got the will to live of a hungry dog. But he needs serious medical attention. His head is cracked open like an egg."

Stefan sighed, relieved that his gamble had paid off. He holstered the lightning rod. "Okay. The lawyers will find him. I don't want them to find us too."

Cosmo drew his first breath in over a minute. "Please."

They couldn't just leave him here. Not after all this. "Take me."

Stefan did not look back. "Sorry. We have enough trouble looking after ourselves."

Cosmo knew that Redwood would never allow him to reach the institute alive. "Please."

The girl leaned over him. "You know, Stefan? Maybe he could make the sim-coffee or something."

Stefan sighed, holding the door open for his team. "Mona, we go through this every night."

Mona sighed. "Tough break, kid."

Cosmo's heart beat steadily now, sending blood pulsing to his brain. "If you leave me," he rasped, "they'll come back."

And suddenly Stefan was half interested. "Who'll come back?" he said, striding across the roof.

Cosmo struggled to stay conscious. "The creatures."

Ditto clapped his hands. "Did you hear that? The creatures, Stefan. He's a Spotter. Wrap me if he isn't."

Stefan shrugged. "It could be nothing. Maybe one of us mentioned the creatures. Maybe it was an hallucination."

Cosmo coughed up some smoke. "The blue creatures, with electricity in their veins. They were sucking the life out of me."

"Pretty accurate hallucination," noted Mona.

Stefan nodded at Ditto. "Okay, we take him. He's a Spotter."

The Spanish girl examined the cuffs. "Okay, Stefan. Gimme a minute."

"A second, Mona. We can spare a second."

Mona picked a clip from her hair, jiggling it expertly in the cuff's lock. In slightly more than a second, Ziplock's wrist was free, not that it was any good to him now.

Stefan hoisted Cosmo onto his shoulder. "Let's go. We can open the other cuff at the warehouse."

Cosmo hung there like a side of meat. He could have spoken then, asked a few more questions. But he didn't, afraid that if he pestered this tall young man, they would decide not to take him wherever it was that they were going. And anywhere was better than the Clarissa Frayne Institute for the Parentally Challenged.

Cosmo's brain decided that there was no room for this new feeling of relief and shut him down for repairs.

Richie515
well thats the whole first chapter

its_all_good
Wow!!! thanks for taking the time to type that...sorry I had to make a quick trip out of town because my aunt had her baby...but I like the first chapter!!

rodeoangel
I'm Back.

rodeoangel
So since no one is on I am just going to talk about my vacation u don't have to read this i'm just bored....

So first I got lost in the USS North Carolina! (a ship) and I couldn't find my way out of this bottom leval thing. and then I was walking through this metal room and u culd see below the ship and people died in that room. And then the floor creaked and my friend started freaking out and he wanted out of the ship but we were lost so then we walked into the operation room and they still had the equipment so this 7 year old was like I see dead people so she started screaming so then we tried to find our way to the door to get away from the parinoid 7 old. and we found steps but they were going down so we went down and we got to the kitchen and they had these really old pop machines so I was like I wounder if there's still pop in it cuz I was thirsty and then this guy behind me called me an idiot. And then we found a wishing well. Well it was actually just a 70 foot drop down that they called a wishing well so I throught down a pen cuz it was all I had. Then we followed the sign and I read a sign and it said dank room so I thought we should go to it and maybe get out but it actually said dark room and it wasn't the way out. But then we finally got out and looked for alligators.

Then on easter sunday our family decided to go crab fishing?? (don't ask why they were like I know what we should do go catch crabs!) so we spent 1 hour crab catchin. and all we caught was a little crab that was dead.
Then we went to go to a go cart track and it was for sale.
The fun part of the trip was when our parents left us home alone and my friend turned off the electricity by mistake.
But I have to tell ya'll about squird and boxer boy. So there were these to guys at our pool and me and my friends juped a gate and they were like wow there such skanks and then my friend took a picture of them. We named them squidward and boxer boy cuz one had a big nose and the other wore boxers all the time.... and that was pretty much it except when we got stuck in a rain storm and saw houses fall into the ocean..
but that was boring.

rodeoangel
It that thing I just typed squird is supposed to be squidward...

its_all_good
Wow...sounds like you had fun on your vacation...haha

rodeoangel
NO IT WASN'T FUN.. sorry about the capitals....but I don't find walking around under water in a boat no knowing WHERE ur going fun.....lol.

its_all_good
haha...yeah...true

rodeoangel
U wanna know what I didn't realize untill a half hour of being lost.....there were arrows on the wall that said TOUR and u were supposed to follow them to get out.... whistle

its_all_good
haha...that sounds like something I would do

rodeoangel
Yeah. I usually do stuff like that. My friend Marissa bought me this shirt called the blond shirt and it say's left arm goes here, right arm goes here and stuff like that and I put it on backwards......I have this other shirt that says I'm Naturally blond so please speak slowly.

rodeoangel
ok did both of u die or somthing cuz ur never on when I'M on...... SOMBODY COME ON.

its_all_good
Those sounds like pretty cool shirts...no one is ever on when I am on either

rodeoangel
LOL. richie was on once when I was on.......now ur on when I'm on......

its_all_good
haha...yeah...I saw your guy's conversation

its_all_good
Richie hasnt talked here in awhile...

rodeoangel
I feel hated...lol...

its_all_good
haha...

rodeoangel
OMG guess what i JUST found out I get to go to Montana this summer and help her train her horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rodeoangel
I don't know where u went but If u come back I'll be gone so I'll talk to u l8ter....
^ ^
{*} {*}
^
______ (Don't ask what that is.....)

~Kelly~

rodeoangel
Hey It's AllGood do u like Orlando Bloom?? Cuz your thing is all Orlando Bloomy. I used to like him...on this post thing It asked will or Jack and I chose................................................................................THE MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! excl

its_all_good
Sorry but I had to get off the computer...thats why I was gone so fast...thats cool about Montana...yeah I like Orlando Bloom....but I love Pirates of the Caribbean...It's like my favorite movie ever...I like the Monkey too...haha

rodeoangel
He's a cute monkey. Do u kno there gonna be a POTC 2 and 3?

its_all_good
yeah...I know...I've seen pics of the set and stuff too...I'm sooo excited for them to come out!!!

rodeoangel
OMG! where did u get the pix of the set????? U HAVE TO TELL ME!! also do u know what either of them r about? I hope the mokeys in them. lol

its_all_good
I saw them awhile back on www.theorlandobloomfiles.com I know that they second one is called pirates of the caribbean dead mans chest...or something like that...and I dont quite remember what its about...but I'll check on it and tell you

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>