The Thrill of the Hunt - DVD Collecting Stories

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
So, any of you guys actually go out DVD "hunting"? The practice some what carries over from my day as a Star Wars memorabilia collector. Setting out some afternoons with $100 in my pocket and a full tank of gas, coming back home with a trunk full of toys, etc.

Now, same procedure, just with a stack of cinematic goodness just waiting to be catalogued, organized, shelved, and eventually watched.

My stops usually include the following shops:

Best Buy - Coon Rapids
Game Stop - Coon Rapids
EB Games - Coon Rapids
Circuit City - Blaine
Wal Mart - Blaine
Pawn America - Blaine
Best Buy - Blaine
Half Priced Books - Blaine
Game Stop - Blaine
CD Warehouse - Blaine

I've had the best finds at Pawn America, who has a $3.99 DVD bin, a $4.99 rack, as well as $7.99 and $9.99 racks.

Just swiped 8 movies from Pawn America today, after the clerk told me last night of a price cut going down that night after closing. So, I walked in this afternoon, lo and behold, 2 racks of $4.99 flicks. 8 like new movies for $40? Can't beat it.

Anyone else have fun stories or routines to share?

Solo
Is www.pawnamerica.com just as good?

dean7879
one guy i get my dvds off....francis! he is a greek guy who can get anythin
i get most my region 1, 2 and 4 dvds off him

dean7879
but i sometimes go in some small shops and hunt for some bargains
i picked up evil dead 2 for 5 pounds and house on haunting hill for 1.50!

Cinemaddiction
They don't sell movies on the website, unfortunately. They do have eBay auctions for them at times, but it's almost pointless.

Beastro
No offense CA but you need to get a life no expression

Cinemaddiction
Coming from someone who sits on here and plays RPG's with other kids, I don't think you're in a position to be dispensing advice to me of all people. laughing out loud

Beastro
ok ok

Solo
This has to serve as a warning, Solo. I've asked if you've got an issue with someone, report them. Don't take to flaming.

SlipknoT
I went to a small place Called Cocnuts and I just stopped in to get Cabin Fever which was originally $19, so the guy goes to ring it up, and it comes up as $2.99 and every time he did it, it kept coming up as $2.99 so I got Cabin Fever for $2.99 smart

Solo
Woahly shizna!

Cinemaddiction
Well, it's worth about that, lol.

SlipknoT
The moment I posted that i knew someone would say that roll eyes (sarcastic)

Beastro
lol,one you've experienced a screwed up cash register you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

jon84
The best deal i'm getting is probably brazil criterion collection (1400NT around $45 canadian, he was gonna charge me 1700 but ''i made him an offer he couldn't refuse'' lol & i don't have to pay for shipping big grin I ordered the set from this guy by my apt, he runs a small dvd shop with mutiple-region dvd movies. (mostly R1, R2, R3) I am going there tommorow to pick up trainspotting & fight club: SE.

tabby999
i generally find that either Sanity or HMV have good sales about once a year. also there is a shop about a hour away that have great sales once in a while DVDs for around $5!

Darth_Big_Boy
I'm with you Cory. I usually hit the local pawn shops....Wal-Mart dump bins....Disc Jockey....etc.

I don't get to do it on a daily....but enough. Some great finds I've had.

Cinemaddiction
I went out today and it was a total bust. Get this though........

Yesterday, I was at Pawn America in my old neighborhood, and I had some car issues, and nobody was home, so there I was waiting at the counter, and I see the broker wrapping up some DVD's. Guess what was in the stack.....

Toy Story 1
Toy Story 2
Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid
The Lion King
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
Peter Pan
Pinnochio

I ask the guy if they are available, his response? "Oh, they'll probably go on eBay".

I could piss fire at that point. I swear. To add insult to injury, I didn't get anyone over to fix my car until 8:30 AT NIGHT, 4 HOURS AFTER I BROKE DOWN!
mad mad mad mad

Darth_Big_Boy
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I went out today and it was a total bust. Get this though........

Yesterday, I was at Pawn America in my old neighborhood, and I had some car issues, and nobody was home, so there I was waiting at the counter, and I see the broker wrapping up some DVD's. Guess what was in the stack.....

Toy Story 1
Toy Story 2
Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid
The Lion King
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc.
Peter Pan
Pinnochio

I ask the guy if they are available, his response? "Oh, they'll probably go on eBay".

I could piss fire at that point. I swear. To add insult to injury, I didn't get anyone over to fix my car until 8:30 AT NIGHT, 4 HOURS AFTER I BROKE DOWN!
mad mad mad mad

OUCH! Both to the car problems and the near DVD score. My condolences.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.