Love in 1984

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
What different kinds of love do you think there are? How are they portrayed?

shaber
Do you mean the novel by George Orwell? There is the superficial love affair between Smith and Julia and then the bond between Smith and O'Brian. O'Brian would be like Smith's alter ego, but within the Party.

The 'love' for the Party's iconic head 'Big Brother' is simply mindless acquiescense. In an invasive regime it causes guilt to go against the government.

mechmoggy
I'm reading the book at the moment, and I definately don't think Winston and Julia are truly "in love".

Phoenix
wink I'm just cheating... I have an essay that was set today and due in next week, and its gotta be 3000 words! eek!

So any ideas of what I can write about? I thought of Winston+Julia, W+Obrien, Winstons mother and her children, love of BB, love of country...

shaber
Winston and Julia struck me as being an attraction soley because they both were against the Party. "It is comfort in misery to have companions in woe." The way an invasive regime works on the mind is portrayed well. Smith says, "I hate goodness," when she confesses to being a real ****. In a fascistic regime, going against the government causes visceral guilt, even if the thought criminal knows intellectually that they are in the right.

mechmoggy
You could mention how well Orwell predicted the importance of TV's in the future. You could also mention how much has been "borrowed" from the book by various sources:

Room 101 - The TV programme.
Big Brother - The term now used for CCTV type surveillance
2+2=5 - A song title by Radiohead (I assumed this one to be honest)

mechmoggy
BTW, for my services you can now find me the difference between 3PL and 4PL companies. stick out tongue

big gay kirk
the only true love as we would know it in the book is the unconditional love shown by Winston's mother to her children... knowing that she has not long with them she still comforts them, and goes out to buy the game... Winston's "love " for Julia is simply a shared dislike of the system.. the affair ultimately fails due to the differences in their dislikes (Winston's being an ideological and intellectual dislike, Julia's a personal and physical one...) Apart from that the only thing we could recognise as "love" is the desire and lust for powerr held by the Party...

WindDancer
Don't forget Wiston's final love in the novel His love for Big Brother and the State

shaber
The Inner Party are a set of psychopaths. They actually know that their only motivation is to make everyone else suffer!

mechmoggy
Hmmmm, I've had bosses like that...

shaber
I've known people like that too sad But remember O'Brian actually SAYS that it is part of their doctrine to make everyone suffer?

Phoenix
blink the only thing I remeber from gcse business studies is PLC, Ltd and BOGOF! laughing out loud

mechmoggy
Bah, you're no help! wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.