Arrested Development

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
The official thread dedicated to possibly the funniest American show on television right now.

Wolfie
It's okay. I enjoy it when I get a chance to watch it. It's overrated though.

Striel
I would enjoy it more if occasionally things would go RIGHT for Michael. I get tired of seeing a show where everything goes wrong all the time.

a1hsauce
this show really is funny

papabeard
I agree, although it is stylistically and structurally similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

canadian_girl45
Hilarious!!!
George Michael and the Star Wars thing. LMAO!!!!

sorrow
yeah.. this show is insanely funny..
big grin

Pezmerga
This show is easily the best on TV at the moment! GOB is my favorite character but all are funny in one way or another. I like the "afternoon Delight" Episode Lmao
This is a refreshing comedy that you actually need to watch, sometimes more than once to get all the subtle jokes!! like when Tobias is "blending in" with blue objects in the background while Lindsay is trying to have an affair...its The best writing Ive seen in,...well forever!

Unfortunately america's short attention span will probally be the downfall of this show. As you have to tune in every week and pay attention to get the jokes...

finti
boring crap

Pezmerga
It is not...if your half ass attempt at a post is anything like how you judge shows then maybe you should actually try watching it and giving it a chance. You almost have to watch it from the beginning..it has alot of self contained jokes that are derived from earlier episodes and is very character driven. Sorry it doesn't go for cheap humor with Laugh tracks so you know when to laugh...The writing is a lil more clever than that. =P

Of course if you had actual reasons why it sucked id accept it, cuz hell you can like what you want...but that post you made was pointless, and certainly wasn't constructive in the least.

BadKitty
Originally posted by Pezmerga
It is not...if your half ass attempt at a post is anything like how you judge shows then maybe you should actually try watching it and giving it a chance. You almost have to watch it from the beginning..it has alot of self contained jokes that are derived from earlier episodes and is very character driven. Sorry it doesn't go for cheap humor with Laugh tracks so you know when to laugh...The writing is a lil more clever than that. =P

Of course if you had actual reasons why it sucked id accept it, cuz hell you can like what you want...but that post you made was pointless, and certainly wasn't constructive in the least. ah forget about it..to each their own right?

any way the first time I watched the show I was told how amazingly funny it was so I gave it a try,to be honest I didn't get it's appeal.

but I gave it another try and finally caught all the jokes...they're not in your face jokes and I think thats why I missed them the first time around. but now I find that it's clearly one of the most clever and novel comedy's on TV. wink

Pezmerga
yeah I dont mind that he dont like it, but I hate when people post "its Crap" or other two word negative descriptions they could just as soon keep to theirselves, if you dont like it then at least say why, or dont post...kinda pointless really.

Oh well I should have probally just ignored it...

Anywya yeah you do need to watch a few episodes, if you give it a chance...most times youll like it.. hell just rent it and watch disc 1...first few are a little slow to start cuz they are getting things rolling and introducing characters...but it picks up, and season 2 is definately funnier...but this a show that is most enjoyed in its entirety. Which is bad considering the attention span of most people in America...

Pezmerga
anyone else psyched for the Season 3 premier on monday!?

Solo
Season premier today, yippay! Have my VCR set up for recording it.

papabeard
Best thing on TV at the moment, we only have season 2 on air at the moment here in the UK.

GOB and Tobias are the 2 best chracters IMO

Pezmerga
GOB is my favorite hands down.

lol GOBIAS Industries.

papabeard
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

sorrow
so, how was the first episode?

Pezmerga
great as usual...Im just pissed the Fox Network basically is saying "**** you" to the fans by almost guaranteeing the shows failure by putting it in the same time slot as Monday night football...

Solo
"Maybe you can pitch a tent in the back. And George Michael just might rub off on you." That was damn funny.

papabeard
Anyone know when the season 2 dvd is released in UK?

Pezmerga
yeah i know lmao...or "i feel like the boy that found the severed hand" LMAO or when Lucille is talking about who would want to inside that dusty "trap" (or something like that, meaning their family Cabin ) with her...and Michael says "Oh you mean the Cabin...

Pezmerga
Man I missed the Episode this week..lol I was pissed...anyone else see it? (no spoilers please) Just wandering if it was a good one? (Im sure it was!)

Solo
It was a great one, with a twist ending.

"Are you here to buy this time, Tobias, or are you just curious?"

"I think I'm bi-curious."

Hilarious episode.

jaden101
hadn't really watched it until this week on UK tv...pretty damn good

the guy who plays Tobias did the voice for zero in grand theft auto san andreas right?

Solo
Originally posted by jaden101
hadn't really watched it until this week on UK tv...pretty damn good

the guy who plays Tobias did the voice for zero in grand theft auto san andreas right?
David Cross, yes, he also did the voice for one of the main soldiers on Halo.

papabeard
This and Curb, make all these Friends, Will and Grace style sitcoms obsolete.

David Cross is also a stand up comedian, there is a good dvd and cd you can by of his stuff.

Solo
Originally posted by papabeard
This and Curb, make all these Friends, Will and Grace style sitcoms obsolete.

David Cross is also a stand up comedian, there is a good dvd and cd you can by of his stuff.
Yep, he is my favorite stand-up comedian. "It's Not Funny" gets me everytime.

Acherontia
I'm Oscar

sorrow
do you guys know that Charlize Theron is in Season 3 ?

Solo
Obviously, we've been watching the show. This episode was awesome, Michael's Dad's attempt to escape was hilarious. His interpreter was hilarious also.

papabeard
"........with Club Sauce, Chicken Fingers with Club Sauce"

Will Arnett, that guy is a comedy genius.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/

What are everyones favourite lines or scenes from the show?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/quotes

papabeard
Season 2 DVD BoxSet is released in the UK on 30/01/06

Pezmerga
OMG the "tiny Town" Episode was AWESOME.

Ill be pissed if this is the last season;....and it looks like it might be. Fox cut back to 13 episodes this season. I hate Fox. They have horrible promoting for the show, and horrible time slots. (wtf why put it on during Monday Night football?)

papabeard
I cannot believe they are thinking of cancelling this, ah the eternal fools.

Solo
Seriously, if this gets permanently cancelled, I'm going to be helluva mad.

Nevermind
After seeing a few episodes I thought it was good. I got the season one boxset and it's great! The shows writing is fantastic. Gob is probably my favourite character (How's this for a referral!? *does magic trick* laughing ). I can't see this show (damn it) on normal Australian "Television" (if you'd call it that) because it's later than I want to stay up, but I tried to catch it when it's on. I think it's put on late due to it's M15+ rating. I hate being this far behind. I'm dying to see the second season on DVD. Cancelling this show is the stupidest thing. FOX will lose out if they do. I signed the petition.

Federill
I'm so glad there are people who like this show as much as I do. Definitely the best show on TV, and MUCH better than Crub IMO. The Charlize Theron episodes were absolutely brilliant, the last one she's in has one of the best scenes of the show.

papabeard
My favourite episode from season 1 is the one when they teach george michael a lesson with the hot cops and the guy with no arm.
down at the dock.

laughing

Federill
Who saw last night's episode?

I can't out up the URL, but google "Save our Bluths"

Do it. Do it NOW!!!

papabeard
Anyone got news on any recent developments?

Solo
I think the ending to the latest episode (with the live feed), "Save Our Bluths" was kind of a sign of saying everything is alright with the show.

papabeard
I heard they were speaking to ABC and showtime.

bunny

Council#13
this show is WAAAAY over rated

papabeard
Originally posted by Council#13
this show is WAAAAY over rated

In your opinion, in mine it is extremely funny and thus not over-rated

As a matter of interest, What shows do you like?

Council#13
Cartoons like the simpsons, futurama, family guy, friends (not cartoon), scrubs (not cartoon either) and so forth

papabeard
wink

QuincE
I'm very pleased that Arrested Development got picked up by ABC. (at least that's what I hear.) It is a hilarious show, with hilarious actors. Although it's hard to decide just which character is the funniest....

Tobias, Buster, Gob. Everyone is hilarious in that show. Portia is hot as well. (hopefully that's how you spell it.)

papabeard
Where did you hear this?

I would like to see it for myself.

Council#13
I wouldnt dontgetit

papabeard
Good, that doesnt surprise me lamo

sorrow
Originally posted by Solo
I think the ending to the latest episode (with the live feed), "Save Our Bluths" was kind of a sign of saying everything is alright with the show.

noooooooooo....!! i dont want it to end mad
What the f**k? that was the last episode of season 3??!??! What the f**k?
i didnt really get it why they have that live feed..... confused

by the way... charlize theron as the british woman and she's mentally disturbed.. ? laughing laughing

papabeard
I couldnt find anything on the net about it being picked up by ABC , does anyone have any evidence of this?

helpsmilie

papabeard
FOX have agreed to show the last 4 episodes from season 3, that were previously dropped. big grin

papabeard
www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=2964

It seems they are close to a deal with Showtime, but it all depends whether creator Mitch Hurwitz will be on board, if not it might fall through. As Hurwitz is unsure because working on another series may be too stressful.

sorrow
sad

xtine_9teen
i rily lyk this show...but i don't get to see it that often. i lyk the george michael have the feelings for his cousin. and i lyk the part wer george michael was asked by buster to get him some drugs....

quotable scripts:Jumpy
GM: must be the other george michael, u know the singer/songwriter>>>haha

i especially lyk the part wen michael's sis and bro wer still teenagers...the part wer they wer taught a lesson by the friend of his father that lost his arm...
everytime they wer taught a lesson the arm always fell off...hahahahalaughing

papabeard
That is one of my favourites also, I also like the one when GOB is in prison.

papabeard
Still the same situation...........

www.tvsquad.com/2006/01/24/arrested-developments-development-out-on-bail-and-a-tv-squad-a/

Solo
I've been sharing this with a lot of other messege boards, so I guess I'll share it with you.

Me showing how mad I am at FOX:
http://filehost.to/files/2005-11-27_01/044646_Sad14.gif

Solo
Last four episodes being shown this Friday, February 10, 2006. Which is ridiculous that they're putting them the same time as the Olympics.

Solo
The day before yesterday a beautiful series came to an end. A bit depressing, actually.

papabeard
rip

DeVi| D0do
I thought Showtime was picking it up..?

Nevermind
Wow, the show ended? That sucks ass.

papabeard
Just ordered the 2nd series DVD today. Happy Dance

papabeard
Just watched the entire 2nd season, and it is just as good if not better than the 2nd, I cant believe how much I laughed but it reminded how sad it is that it may be cancelled.

It's almost as if there is too much in the show ( if thats possible), because if you are laughing at one thing you miss another 5 jokes and a set up.

Probably have to wait about 6 months or more for the 3rd season to be released on DVD in the UK.

PS, The chicken dancing and GOB in the banana suit are genius. Happy Dance

papabeard
www.betterthanfudge.com/?p=334

Arrested Development may have been picked up for 12 episodes by Showtime.

Has anyone heard about this? is this true?, if its false I am going to crash the site that posted it.

eek! eek! Happy Dance Happy Dance smokin' smokin'

XxILuvVegetaxX
I think someone else will probably pick it up, probably HBO or Showtime, i dont think it shouldve been on fox to begin w/ it just doesnt seem to fit in w/ all the other shows (just wut i thnk)

papabeard
I think Uncle Jack is GOB's dad....

because.........

a) They Look and sound like each other.
b) Uncle Jack had sex with Lucille 1 sometime in the past.
c) GOB is sporty and athletic
d) They both announced on tv that the will be doing an elaborate stunt.

papabeard
Nothing concrete yet, only gossip on messageboards.

http://chud.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89417

papabeard
Also the Dad said something about the mother having to take another "Bullet" for the Bluth Team. And the mum and dad both hate GOB.

Is this confirmed in the 3rd season because i have not see this yet, can anyone confirm if I am correct?

And I think Kitty might be Maybe's mum buts thats just a shot in the dark.

papabeard
www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/60385.htm

This looks a bit more reliable, New York Post BABY! Happy Dance

Solo
It has been AS GOOD AS GOLD with Showtime, it's just up to the creator if he'd like to continue it or not.

papabeard
I think thats what it means, that Mitch Hurwitz has decided to continue and the deal has been done.

papabeard
Season 3 DVD (REGION 1) hopefully being released on June 16th 2006

papabeard
MMMMMMMMM mad

THIS WAS PUBLISHED ON 20/03/06

Even though FOX still has not canceled the show officially, network executives have made it clear that it will not be renewed for a fourth season.

Despite months-long rumors of Arrested Development having been picked up by the Showtime Network, and star Jason Bateman's confirmation that two new seasons of the series had been ordered, the San Francisco Chronicle reported on March 28, 2006 that creator Mitch Hurwitz will not be returning. As Showtime had made it clear that Hurwitz's involvement was a requirement for the continuation of the show, Arrested Development is considered by both its creators and fans as having reached its end on television. Hurwitz has, however, previously alluded to the possibility of a feature film.

papabeard
BALLS!!!!!!!!!

www.variety.com/article/VR1117940467?categoryid=1417&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Hurwitz takes a hike
'Arrested' creator bails as showrunner

"Arrested Development""Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz says he will not be continuing with the series, throwing a major -- likely fatal -- monkey wrench into attempts to keep the Emmy-winning laffer alive for a fourth season.
Series producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TelevisionImagine Television had agreed on a deal to move "Arrested," previously on Fox, to Showtime -- assuming Hurwitz was willing to come back. In the end, however, a mix of creative and financial concerns has prompted Hurwitz to move on.

"The fans have been so ardent in their devotion and in return ... I've given everything I can to the show in order to try to live up to their expectations," Hurwitz told Daily Variety on Monday in a telephone interview from GothamGotham. "I finally reached a point where I felt I couldn't continue to deliver that on a weekly basis."

Nonetheless, Hurwitz said he put off making a final decision on his involvement so Showtime and 20th could talk about a possible deal.

"Of course, if there was enough money in it, I would have happily abandoned the fans' need for quality. But as it turns out, there wasn't," he said.

Indeed, Hurwitz and 20th have long been at odds over finances, sparring over everything from the show's budget to Hurwitz's own compensation. The two sides were unable to come to terms on an overall deal last year, and while creative concerns were clearly at play in Hurwitz's decision, coincoin may have been a key factor, insiders said.

Hurwitz said he had briefed most of the show's cast about his decision, as well as some of the writers. He also talked with exec producer-narrator Ron HowardRon Howard, who asked Hurwitz if he would be willing to continue as a consultant on "Arrested" should 20th and Imagine find a network willing to continue the skeinskein without Hurwitz.

"I said I'd be happy to do that, but that as showrunner, I've gone as far as I can go," he said.

Showtime entertainment toppertopper Bob Greenblatt made it clear in January that Hurwitz's participation in the show was essential to a deal (Daily Variety, Jan. 20). With Hurwitz out of the equation, Showtime is no longer a viable home for "Arrested," insiders said.

It doesn't help that one of Hurwitz's key deputies, exec producer Jim Valleley, also says he won't do the show without his boss. "We couldn't do the show without Mitch Hurwitz, and I wouldn't want to be the guy who tried," Valleley said, who called the apparent end of the show "heartbreaking."

Hurwitz said he had lunch with Showtime entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt even though he was leaning against continuing with the show. "He was actually very persuasive in telling me how much he believed in the show. I walked away thinking, 'Maybe,' " Hurwitz said.

Despite word of tension between Hurwitz and 20th, scribe said the studio and its sister net deserve credit for having produced and aired three seasons of the show.

"I can honestly say I'm appreciative. They put a lot of money into this, and I put a lot of my life into this," he said.

He also hinted that while "Arrested" may have run its course as a TV show as far as he's concerned, he would be interested in reviving the franchise as a feature film.

Reps for 20th and Showtime declined comment. One person familiar with the studio's thinking, however, said fans of the show shouldn't write an obit for "Arrested" just yet, noting 20th is the studio that revived "Family Guy."

crybabycrybabycrybabycrybabycrybaby

papabeard
Season 3 DVD released on August 29th 2006.

When will we see your like again?

Solo
Yep, I'll be picking it up. Rumour has it that there might be a film, but it's all up to the creator.

.Dance_Inside.
This is my favourite show...
I think it sucks that fox cancelled it.. :sad:
I heard that there might be a movie..
Gob and George-michael are my favourite characters

Solo
It's one of my favorites as well. Fox goes out of their way to cancel all of their good shows.

wuTa
They are all awesome characters, but my fave would probally have to be Buster.

manorastroman
RIP forever, arrested development...unless of course the movie they jokingly hinted at becomes reality droolio

easily the best american sitcom, aside from seinfeld. (curb your enthusiasm is good...but not this good).

Solo
I agree, but I might like Curb Your Enthusiasm a bit more. Have you ever seen Twin Peaks, manorastroman? If not you must.

manorastroman
i love twin peaks, more as a collection than on an episode to episode basis. the way it slowly becomes more...erm, "lynchian" as it goes on. masterful plotting.

didn't care for "fire walk with me", though.

Solo
Fire Walk With Me is good, just very unnecessary.

edwinian
Wanted to give a heads up to all A.D. fans out there:

Michael Cera --- the George Michael Bluth has a new online show. Its these "mockumentary" style shorts called "Clark & Michael" that he did with his friend Clark Duke. The first one is out, its DAMN funny and Cera has not missed a step, the kid is STILL hysterical.

Check it out here...

http://www.clarkandmichael.com/index.php?id=3001

Quincy
God damn I hope they make that movie. I need more Gob! my dvds aren't cutting it!

exanda kane
Originally posted by edwinian

Michael Cera --- the George Michael Bluth has a new online show. Its these "mockumentary" style shorts called "Clark & Michael" that he did with his friend Clark Duke. The first one is out, its DAMN funny and Cera has not missed a step, the kid is STILL hysterical.

Check it out here...

http://www.clarkandmichael.com/index.php?id=3001

That actually isn't that bad, still the same character and from the look of the first few minutes, the same character, but enjoyable and amusing still.

Da Rev
Originally posted by edwinian

Check it out here...

http://www.clarkandmichael.com/index.php?id=3001 They're making that into a movie.

exanda kane
Originally posted by exanda kane
That actually isn't that bad, still the same character and from the look of the first few minutes, the same character, but enjoyable and amusing still.

I just realise I repeated myself. I do apologise.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
What kind of show was this? Was it very funny?

edwinian
Originally posted by Da Rev
They're making that into a movie.

So they are making "Clark & Michael" into a movie? Both those guys are hysterical, I could def. see it working. Is everyone watching all the onlin episodes? New ones every Weds. Here's the site, ep. 4 is up now. The guy who plays their agent is Michael Hurwitz the A.D. creator...

http://www.clarkandmichael.com/

exanda kane
I read something about Jason Bateman mentioning that Mitch Hurwitz (creator of Arrested Development) was working on something.

Chances are that it's something completely different, and when there's a snippet of information like that, people tend to delude themselves that it could be what they think it is...but maybe it is a film of the best American sitcom evarr!

Bardock42
That would be awesome.

Arrested Development is genius. One of the best shows I ever watched.

Solo
A movie would seem appropriate considering the some what suggestive finale.

exanda kane
Gob or George Snr should run for Congress, or something like that. Alot of mileage in that kind of satire considering the last few years and administrations.

exanda kane
Looks like a movie is on the horizon! smile

Smasandian
Originally posted by Bardock42
That would be awesome.

Arrested Development is genius. One of the best shows I ever watched.

Me too.

Too many good characters.

Too bad it wasnt successful compared to other great sitcoms like Seinfeld.

exanda kane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHDUyN5W6k

Couldn't remember where I saw the actual article. That should do though.

papabeard
Thanks for the info

TeenMovies1
THE BEST SHOW TO EVER GRACE TELEVISION!

TeenMovies1
seriously the best show ever!

It was so smart of the director of JUNO to cast Jason Bateman and Michael Cera in a movie together. I know all of us Arrested Development fans were the first ones in line to see JUNO. And today I will be the first one in line to buy it on DVD.

papabeard
I dont think they should make a film of the show, they should leave the legacy intact.

A film could tarnish the perfection.

exanda kane
Season 3 wasn't perfection in my book; now whether that would have been different if they had produced the amount of episodes similar to the first two seasons I don't know, but there is a lot of mileage for that film and by the end of it all, Michael just deserves a woman.

TeenMovies1
Originally posted by exanda kane
Season 3 wasn't perfection in my book; now whether that would have been different if they had produced the amount of episodes similar to the first two seasons I don't know, but there is a lot of mileage for that film and by the end of it all, Michael just deserves a woman.

oh I will be his woman. I would be his woman in Arrested Development and his woman in JUNO.

oakling
I can't wait to see what they do with a movie! I know they joked in the last episode about having one but I didn't think that was very likely to happen. They're so innovative and funny; this is going to be crazy!

TeenMovies1
Originally posted by oakling
I can't wait to see what they do with a movie! I know they joked in the last episode about having one but I didn't think that was very likely to happen. They're so innovative and funny; this is going to be crazy!

your right, they totally did mention it in the last episode. haha I just watched them all again

Quincy
Arrested Development is the best thing ever made by anybody.

Taste the happy Michael!

Movie tragic
Love this show. So many classic moments cool

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Quincy
Taste the happy Michael!

Taste kinda like sad...

wiley123
The start of this episode is very amusing where Michael has to go back to confirm to the family that he was actually leaving.
The best momants of this episode were: * When Portias husband joins the Blue Man Group.

Kris Blaze
hmm, still great.

parenthesis
Just started watching it and it is incredibly funny.

Everything Michael Sr. says causes me to pause because I'm laughing so much. crylaugh

Very well directed.

Only 8 episodes in though.

Mindset
Prepare to be disappointed.

Not because it gets bad, but because it ends so soon.

Darth Ray Park
lol i think my two favorite parts of the show was the overly literal doctor, and every line from Michael involving Ann. laughing out loud

parenthesis
It's pure genius. Blinding a girl pretending to be blind after Michael was going to reveal she wasn't blind. Sending an arsonist to a banana stand endangering his grandson only to have Michael burn the banana stand without realising "there's money in it" after being told all this time. Tobias wanting to learn from his father in jail after he got threatened to not preach. Lindsay constantly wanting attention from the prisoners forcing her dad to spend more and more money on them not to harass her, only forcing her to spend money on clothes on more expensive slutty clothes. laughcrycrylaugh It's brilliant.

I also love the continuous structure, reminds me of My Name Is Earl when it first started.

parenthesis
Thought I'd mention there's going to be a new series only available on Netflix next year!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Netflix-UK-Arrested-Development-Season-four-Exclusive-Release,16170.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.