State of Fear

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur
I just read State of Fear by Micheal Crichton. I was going to put this thread in the book forum, but I don't really want to comment on the book as much as the idea behind the book.

The literal issue of the book was global warming, or "extreme climate change" as the activists are now referring to it. The underlying issue was that we as a society are kept in a state of fear so as to be easily controlled and manipulated. Think back through history and you will see that there is always a plague, depression, enemy nation, epidemic, or some other potential evil at our doorstep, just waiting to make off with our children in the deep of the night.

Some of these fears are genuine, but others are manufactured.

It was explained how politicians make the laws, lawyers and the justice system enforce the laws, and the media distributes the information, all to make us just a little more afraid. Afraid to put a cross up in a school, afraid to hire the white guy over the black guy, afraid that our cars are going to destroy the planet, afraid to look "politically incorrect". They do it in a train wreck fashion, and we watch as rubberneckers as our right to be honest and speak our minds and drive our cars is taken away. They say they do these things to keep us safe, to keep our feelings from being hurt, because they know that we don't like anything negative in our life. Most people embrace this state of fear with open arms. They don't realize that it is all the negative aspects of life that provide challenges to overcome, to grow as people.

Here is an example of how they manipulate our emotions. Say someone wants to prove to you global warming is happening. The person shows you a graph of average world temperatures from 1870 to the present. The graph clearly shows an increase of, say, .07 degrees celcius. Sounds like proof positive that our planet is getting warmer right? Then, someone else shows you a graph of average world temperatures from 1650 to the present. In that graph, there is no increase, the average is pretty much a straight line. The data is massaged to fit the needs of the presenter, to prove his point...in both cases actually.

I guess the point is that we all need to second guess whats told to us a bit more. I'm not talking full blown conspiracy-theory-insanity, just try to be more informed before you take whats said to you as gospel.

So, do you live in a state of fear?

vaya_the_elf
Not really. If its going to happen then it will.

I just live my life the best I can, and thats all I can really do

SlipknoT
pirate

Tex
Many people believe that this general "global warming" is an indication of an upcoming ice age. In the past the planet has heated up before entering an ice age.

About living in fear, everything you've said above was and is being brilliantly used by the Bush administration to push their agenda.

"Attack Saddam or he'll attack us, we have to get his weapons before he uses them against us"------ No weapons.

Now its Iran and N.Korea.

The only things I'm afraid of are growing inflation and a diminishing dollar.

Creechuur
Well Tex, this isn't something that only liberals do. While I tend to take a more conservative stance, I don't believe anything the Bush administration tells me any more than I believe Kerry or Greenpeace.

This isn't about partisanship, its about EVERYONE in power lying to you, twisting information to their own ends.

I know you and I have butted heads before on politics and opinions. Not that it matters (we'll always probably disagree!), but this book has caused me to seriously think about my views, especially on politics. I don't trust any party anymore. They all have their own agendas, and my best interest is not one of them. What chance does a humble, honest person have of gaining power when it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to run for office?

I'm seeing proof of what the book was talking about every day. Just two days ago, I read an article about how glaciers are melting and how it would raise the sea level so many feet and the temperature so many degrees. NEVER ONCE did the article say when these horrible things would happen. It could be 10,000 years from now for all I know. Its disgusting how bad the disinformation is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.