Is Robin any longer necessary?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge

Joker1237
Robin is cool, because out of evey 4 robins, 2 die lol.

vaya_the_elf
laughing out loud

I think they have robin because batman does not have a whole lot of family, and i think he gets lonely sometimes.. even though he would probably not admit it. .. .

Red Superfly
Batman could easily have a sidekick, like Nightwing, and be cool.

The problem lies within Robin's coolness, not the idea of a sideick.

He sticks out like a sore thumb next to Batman. Nightwing at least looks like his sidekick.

pr1983
nightwing though imo is too old to be a sidekick, he's a hero in his own right...

Gregory
The thing is that a lot of people really like Tim Drake. He has his own series, for crying out loud--which makes him rather more than a sidekick, in my opinion, since he does a great deal of work independantly of Batman. I don't think of Robin so much as a "sidekick" as the youngest member of Batman's core team (Oracle, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin).

Mainstream
Batman needs robin to give him hope..and Robin bright costume helps draw more gunfire on Robin and less on Batman!

OB1-adobe
How many Robins have their been? Can I get a quik rundown on who and happened.

Draco69
Dick Grayson - Now Nightwing and leader of the Outsiders
Jason Todd - Beaten to death with a crowbar by the Joker and got blown up.
Tim Drake - the most well-trained Robin; his father died in the Identity Crisis event. He is now an orphan and is a member of the New Teen Titans.

Joker1237
Dont forget Stephanie Brown, She took over for Robin after Drake went on vaction or something like that lol.

She was killed by the Black Mask

OtterVomit
Carrie Kelly - Bacame Catgirl, works for Bruce Wayne's little Bat-Army

Tron
Carrie Kelly was from Earth 2 I believe, technically not in current DC continuity, and never actually existed, thanks to the Crisis.

Mainstream
true..so technically they have been four robins 3 of which were male one female. two alive two dead.

wuTa
they need new nicknames....everytime batman gets a new sidekick they automically call them robin....it made sense when grayson was robin because that was his nickname...dont any of these other kids have nicknames...or is batman so lazy he just calls all the kids that live in the manor robin..he's suppose to have this great mind and he cant even think of a new nickname

Joker1237
Well its not his fault his sidekicks want to be Robin lol.

Mainstream
what do you want him to call his sidekicks Bat kid or something? I mean Batman and Bat kid sounds lame. Batman sidekicks are called Robin it's a traditon that's all.

radioboy121
Robin is Batman's emotional support. Tim, probably more than any of the others has been critical for this role. Robin is a better sidekick name than calling him Batboy or Junior.

Red Superfly
Yeah I always wonderred that.

Robin should imo be no more. When Nightwing was born, Robin should have ended right there.

Batman and Nightwing - sounds awesome.

It's always something unoriginal with these sidekicks. Oh lets just call the next one Robin. Or Bat-something. It's either Batgirl, Batboy etc or just Robin. Where's the fun in that?

Tim Drake should have been called something else. I dunno, something as cool as Nightwing. Call him Twilight or Hawkwind or Black Falcon or whatever. Something cool for this day and age. In fact TIM DRAKE is a cooler name than Robin.

Batman and Hawkwind? Batman and Twilight? Batman and Robin sounds crap these days.

RielKid
Wait! Isn't Robin Nightwing? And I thought he quite being Batman's sidekick to join Teen Titans.

P.S. The show (Teen Titan) is pretty funny.

OtterVomit
The original Robin, Dick Grayson, became Nightwing.

RielKid
WHAT THE! There's two ROBIN! WHAT THE!

OtterVomit
There have been 4. Two are dead. You should read the thread, its informative! reading

RielKid
Were they all related

OtterVomit
None were related, to my knowledge.

Mainstream
on a side note the Teen Titans Robin is Dick Grayson...because DG is the robin that likes Starfire, DG is the robin that leans the Titans, DG is the robin that hates Slade, DG is the robin that worked the circus and DG is the robin that acts like a young Batman which is how the young Robin on the Titans cartoon acts.

Tron
And because that's who the writers intended him to be.wink

Now, wouldn't it have been much simpler just to say that? lol

Mainstream
I suppose

DirectorFitz
robin was, and is, never necessary

Mainstream
Batman needs Robin...sort of.

Joker1237
lol Batman needs Robin sort of.

Maybe. But I think Robin brings a new light to Batman.

Tim Bruce said it best in BTAS.

"Not that they could be Batman, but could they work with Batman.

Brother in arms, dealing with the Joker, Twoface and out major villians.

Thats Robin imo, Not a sidkick, but a parther, a brother.

Punkyhermy
Of course Batman needs a Roibin.

Batman is in essence a lonely man yes, but he craves for a family of any sort.So much so that this inner craving has lead him to inadvertantly build a 'family' that extends far beyond the traditional concept of a family. Nightwing,Oracle and Robin are his little kids. He's their dad.He needs the feeling of belonging, of having someone depend on him.Probably that's the reason he just wouldn't let Dick go.

The Robins are more than just colorful sidekicks.Do not degrade Dick Grayson and Tim Drake for they are respnsible for bringing out the best in Batman and helping him keep his hold on sanity.

Joker1237
Like I said, I dont condiser Robin a side kick.

more like famly, Brother ete.

Mainstream
" I think he gets lonely sometimes?" Diana...I hope that wasn't a Batman is gay joke!!!

Joker1237
did not think it was a at Gay joke. But again the Joke started I think was with Adam West and Burt Ward.

Mainstream
mabye so.

BENITO
not really they just make him seem like a piedo

Joker1237
Maybe Benito,(Former Muffin Man of the KMC forum lol)

WindDancer
In the movies maybe not....in the cartoons and comics...yeah!

The Bat12
Originally posted by Joker1237
Dont forget Stephanie Brown, She took over for Robin after Drake went on vaction or something like that lol.

She was killed by the Black Mask

WHY!!!!?????!!!!!
But I also think Batman would do great without Robin but Robin's tradition.

Spiderman_RJ
i dont think batman and robin is lame, batman and nightwing is lame

Batman ............Nightwing are cool names and cooler charatchers putting the names toguether suck, but batman and robin fits naturally
what sucks is like its said, every new guy is either bat th or robin.

i love the robin that is now nightwing, especially on batman tas, im a batman fan, but when i was a child i only had money for one comic book (two in fact , plus any especial editon) comics, and i choosed spiderman rather than batman.
so i know more batman for the tas than the comic, altho i would like to have that knowledgemente source, but im to old to go looking for bat comics now. (im 20)

RogueGambitdare
Yeah he is. He kinda helps Batman/Bruce Wayne thaw his heart of ice. And Batman wouldn't be the same without him. And the Teen Titans would suck without him.

Mainstream
Robin is needed..without Robin..Batman might become like the Punisher...which wouldn't be a bad think..but I think Batman needs to be more balanced than Castle.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.